2008 Accord, Official Pictures

DCK

Indeed, I called this.

Honda humilliates Ford once again, shows them how it's done when you do your homework.

Everyone is showing just what an awful job Ford NA did, exterior excluded, even Chevy did.

"Bububu wait for '09, Fusion will have lots of patches and will match a 7 year old Honda cry.gif"

2008-honda-accord-39.jpg

Ford is stuck with some interior design that benchmarked Volkswagens from almost ten years ago. If it had been done then it would have been fine. Just when is Ford going to set the standard high enough that they are going to be leading instead of always catching up only to be immediately eclipsed by well thought out more advanced design.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the problem. The look obviously still works, just go look at most VW and FOE vehicles. Ford NA just lacks ambition and talent compared to Europe and Australia. The only decent car interior they have, the Taurus, was based on the outgoing Mondeo. The Mustang was a retro interior which was "VW'ified". Little creativity involved.

The Flex and their trucks are still based on that look, which proves it still works IF enough effort is applied:

photo.jpg

Edited by pcsario

That's not the problem. The look obviously still works, just go look at most VW and FOE vehicles. Ford NA just lacks ambition and talent compared to Europe and Australia. The only decent car interior they have, the Taurus, was based on the outgoing Mondeo. The Mustang was a retro interior which was "VW'ified". Little creativity involved.

The Flex and their trucks are still based on that look, which proves it still works IF enough effort is applied:

photo.jpg

But we're still talking about cars, in spite of being in the same class, that are designed for different price points. The two-tone wood-lined Accord interior is probably only going to be seen on cars stickering for over $28,000, which is above where the Fusion tops out. Ford already has a car with a unique interior that competes at that price point: the MKZ.

The Fusion interior you posted compares with moderately equipped Honda Civics... to which the overall package compares very well.

How is Honda bringing anything new to the table? The interior has the same basic look as the 2003 Accord, just slightly massaged to look a little more like the Civic. Honda knows its customers, and is building a warmly familiar new Accord for them.

Never any satisfaction. If Ford brought out this car as the 2008 Fusion, you would immediately be complaining about the weird curves and unintuitive switchgear.

Edited by wescoent

But we're still talking about cars, in spite of being in the same class, that are designed for different price points. The two-tone wood-lined Accord interior is probably only going to be seen on cars stickering for over $28,000, which is above where the Fusion tops out. Ford already has a car with a unique interior that competes at that price point: the MKZ.

The Fusion interior you posted compares with moderately equipped Honda Civics... to which the overall package compares very well.

How is Honda bringing anything new to the table? The interior has the same basic look as the 2003 Accord, just slightly massaged to look a little more like the Civic. Honda knows its customers, and is building a warmly familiar new Accord for them.

Never any satisfaction. If Ford brought out this car as the 2008 Fusion, you would immediately be complaining about the weird curves and unintuitive switchgear.

That is the most spun reply have ever heard.

That is the most spun reply I have ever heard.

That is the most spun reply I have ever heard.

So you suggest Ford design its products for a higher price range? I like the fact that if I wanted an inexpensive high quality midsized sedan, I could get an I4 Fusion for $20,000 with virtually all the features I need in a car, in a midsized package. You CANNOT get an Accord or Camry for that price.

So you suggest Ford design its products for a higher price range? I like the fact that if I wanted an inexpensive high quality midsized sedan, I could get an I4 Fusion for $20,000 with virtually all the features I need in a car, in a midsized package. You CANNOT get an Accord or Camry for that price.

Why can you not get an Accord, Sonata, Altima, Camry, etc. with "virtually all the features" you need in a car, in a midsized package? Secondly pricing for the new Accord has not been set, to my knowledge.

You can't?

All of the features most would "need" in a car are A/C, ABS, side airbags, and cruise control. For those options the prices are as follows:

An Accord Value Package automatic 4 cylinder is $20,020 including destination.

A Camry automatic 4 cylinder is $20,280 including destination.

A Fusion S automatic 4 cylinder is $19,600 including destination.

The price differences are NOT that vast.

those curving interiors are just hideous.. opinnions on how a interior looks and stuff is just like peoples asses, we all have one.. personally i love ford interiors, they are straight forward and to the point and buttons are right where you need them.. i loved my 1997 tbird, but that curving interior after awhile was just lost... ya, ford had them looks in mid 90s... its seems to me toyota honda and them just caught up, maybe ford moved on??? different way of looking at it.

ya whippy, 270hp in a midsize? ya, when is enough enough? getting to be too much HP.. and i think its creeping into the insurance segment as well, considering a 22k fusion and 24k 3.5 camry i would pay about 20 dollars more a month on...

again, my 3.0 fusion has no troubles merging into traffic or accelerating by some slow poke on the freeway.

ya, that accord i think may fail, looks just like a freaking sonata, once people start seeing the 5k difference in comparable cars the sonata may fly off the lots.

photo.jpg

Oh I don't know, I think the Fusion interior looks pretty good. That is as long as you don't compare the stripper Fusion interior to the top end Honda and VW interiors like we have seen in this thread. Do you honestly think people here are dumb enough to be fooled by these obviously biased comparisons provided by DCK and yourself? :finger:

Example: ford.fusion.int.500.jpg

I admit the Mondeo's interior is better than the Fusions, but it is also better than the new Accords.

You can't?

All of the features most would "need" in a car are A/C, ABS, side airbags, and cruise control. For those options the prices are as follows:

An Accord Value Package automatic 4 cylinder is $20,020 including destination.

A Camry automatic 4 cylinder is $20,280 including destination.

A Fusion S automatic 4 cylinder is $19,600 including destination.

The price differences are NOT that vast.

Including destination, the Fusion I priced out (I4 SE with SE Appearance Package, which includes leather seats, 17" rims, and fogs, as well as uplevel audio and ABS), was $20,495 including destination. That's a hell of a deal, and a comparably equipped Accord or Camry is significantly more than that.

Just to clarify.. the options I need in a car might be a little different from most people, but if I were to buy a mainstream midsized sedan, I'd want those options.

Edited by wescoent

the BIG news is the engines:

180hp 2.4l I4 - 21/31mpg

200hp 2.4l I4

273hp 3.5l V6 - 19/29mpg in the Sedan. Coupe has a different version of th V6 making 16/25mpg.

5speed manual standard with I4's, 5speed auto optional and standard with the V6, 6speed manual standard with the V6 on the coupe.

Those are some nice numbers ...

Igor

The actual press release states:

177 hp, 161 ft-lb - 21/31 mpg

190 hp, 162 ft-lb

268 hp, 248 ft-lb - 19/29 mpg (Auto)

268 hp, 248 ft-lb - 17/25 mpg (Maunal) No VCM on the manual Accords.

All engines only require regular unleaded fuel.

268 hp, 248 ft-lb - 19/28 mpg (Camry V6)

263 hp, 249 ft-lb - 18/28 mpg (Duratec 35 in Taurus)

221 hp, 205 ft-lb - 18/26 mpg (Duratec 30 in Fusion)

The engine Fusion needs to compete is the Duratec 35. Any guesses as what the EPA rating of the PIP 3.0 Duratec will make? If Ford made use of cylinder deactivation, maybe they could get the Duratec 35 to hit 30 mpg highway.

That is as long as you don't compare the stripper Fusion interior

Nice try, too bad the Fusion doesn't look anywhere near that in person.

Compared to the amazingly touched up crap you posted, the pic DCK posted is a far more realistic depiction of the Fusion's interior.

No dramatic angles, no unrealistic lighting conditions, no hilariously dark contrast levels, etc.

BTW, the only difference between the base Fusion and others, are two and a half extra pieces of plastic, and only the SEL gets the clock, so spare me the "bubububu unfair comparison" crap. It was a terrible job by Ford, get over it already.

But whatever, lets please the children and give them what they want:

fusionINT.jpg

DriversSeat.jpg

OMG what a HUGE difference that made. :rolleyes:

2008-honda-accord-39.jpg

Oh wait no, it still looks like crap in comparison.

Edited by pcsario

BTW White99GT, here's the base interior:

2008-honda-accord-35.jpg

Notice how Honda doesn't charge you extra, to have an interior that's not insulting.

Sooo, what's the excuse now?

"Bububu only SEL Fusions are sold bububu so what if Ford charges you thousands for a clock and $2 inserts bububu"

Edited by pcsario

"Bububu only SEL Fusions are sold bububu"

That base interior doesn't look so great. Better than the Fusion's base interior, but only marginally. It's a matter of design more than anything. Ford's center stacks detract from the entire look of their interiors due to having to integrate that ugly-ass "brick" audio unit. Hopefully they can become more fluent in the future. Their materials aren't bad at all. It's just the presentation that's lacking.

That base interior doesn't look so great. Better than the Fusion's base interior, but only marginally.

Are we looking at the same interior? :shades:

Not that I'm saying it's perfect, but it's definitely more than "marginally" better than the Fusion's.

Point remains, trim by trim, the Fusion is just a disgrace in comparison.

That base interior doesn't look so great. Better than the Fusion's base interior, but only marginally. It's a matter of design more than anything. Ford's center stacks detract from the entire look of their interiors due to having to integrate that ugly-ass "brick" audio unit. Hopefully they can become more fluent in the future. Their materials aren't bad at all. It's just the presentation that's lacking.

This is the second time I've agreed with every word you typed. lol I'm starting to feel a little faint here.

No seriously, the center stack in the Fusion is it's biggest problem. It just ruins the car for me. Some already know I was planning to buy an 08 Fusion but they decided to keep that ugly brick radio center stack and then Mulally went and piped off about the gas tax. Just ruined the whole thing for me. I hate to agree with pcsario because frankly he's a damn dick, but in this case White he happens to be right. The Accord interior looks better than the Fusion's. The exterior, however, is pretty ugly to me.

Are we looking at the same interior? :shades:

Not that I'm saying it's perfect, but it's definitely more than "marginally" better than the Fusion's.

Point remains, trim by trim, the Fusion is just a disgrace in comparison.

The DESIGN is certainly much better. But as far as materials or anything else, marginally better is exactly right. That base Accord interior looks to have the same dull-textured stamped hard plastic all over it that everybody else has. I was actually surprised how many soft-touch surfaces there were in the Fusion. They just need to design them to look better.

In the end, design is much easier to fix than assembly and materials.

Well, if you are admitting the Fusion is closer to a Civic than an Accord in terms of ambition, I rest my case.

If Ford wants to keep aiming low at Hyindai and Pontiac's market, instead of the market leaders (higher prices/profits), that's not our fault either. They'll always be the bottom of the barrel pick for most customers if they keep taking the mediocre and cheap route every time.

No one in their right mind would cross shop a Honda with a Lincoln. That's what the TL is for, and trust me, most people did end up choosing it over the MKZZzz.

2008-honda-accord-35.jpg

Notice how Honda doesn't charge you extra, to have an interior that's not insulting.

The new Accord interior looks almost as good as the 2008 Focus interior! :hysterical:

m.08-Focus-Interior-001.jpg

focusinterior1_1.jpg

ford-focus-2008-final-4.jpg

The Fusion interior in black is still looking pretty nice to me.

slide-2.jpg

Not class leading, but not bad for a car that's been out for a couple years. Good thing it's getting a refresh soon...bubububu...

Edited by White99GT

I was actually surprised how many soft-touch surfaces there were in the Fusion.

That's exactly what I've been telling these people for ages, the Fusion must've roughly the same interior budget as the outgoing Mondeo, same hard/soft plastics combinations in the same places, and yet it looks like shit in comparison. There's no excuse for mediocrity.

This is the second time I've agreed with every word you typed. lol I'm starting to feel a little faint here.

No seriously, the center stack in the Fusion is it's biggest problem. It just ruins the car for me. Some already know I was planning to buy an 08 Fusion but they decided to keep that ugly brick radio center stack and then Mulally went and piped off about the gas tax. Just ruined the whole thing for me. I hate to agree with pcsario because frankly he's a damn dick, but in this case White he happens to be right. The Accord interior looks better than the Fusion's. The exterior, however, is pretty ugly to me.

I think the Accord interior is better then the Fusion in all trims but I would expect Honda's '08 to be superior to Fusion's '06, Camry's '07 and Altima's '07. Hopefully the '09 Fusion brings it closer to the competition. Fusion is quickly getting dated now that the three major imports have a 3.5 V6. Once Chevy's new Malibu is relesed with the 3.6 V6, I think the Fusion will fall yet another notch down. Malibu's new two-tone interiors may also raise the bar higher depending on how well it is received.

That's exactly what I've been telling these people for ages, the Fusion must've roughly the same interior budget as the outgoing Mondeo, same hard/soft plastics combinations in the same places, and yet it looks like shit in comparison. There's no excuse for mediocrity.

PC- I know Ford NEEDS to look AHEAD when designing cars... but let's jsut remind ourselves how the CAMRY looked when the Fusion was introduced:

camry_interior03.jpg

and people paid $30k for them ....

The market just took a HUGE step forward about 1.5 years after the intro of Fusion .. and the new Accord is yet another reminder ... but Ford is responding and there is PROMISE of a very very good response next year from the 09 Fusion ... Ford is responding .. let's give them SOME credit for the fact that on a 3 year old car they will bring practically all new sheet metal, all new interior and 4 new power trains ... and let's not RULE OUT the benefits of the change before we even see a full mule ...

The market has shifted and Ford was caught with their pants down .. but they seem to be trying to get back in the game - let's see how they'll do - the Fusion will be in LA - mid-November - 3 months away.

If that thing is a dud .... let's all flame away .. until then, let;s just wait what they have in store ... we are not talking about vapor-ware coming 3 years from now - we will see this in 3 months.

Igor