Ford - Goodbye Forever

The straw has finally broken the camel’s back. I have owned three Fords and driven three additional ones as company cars. My latest 2003 Ford developed a problem just beyond the warranty. I spoke with several other drivers (since our company leases hundreds of identical Fords as company cars every year) and I also searched on the internet. It turns out the problem is fairly common. Ford has issued a TSB describing the symptoms, failure mode and corrective action. They also re-engineered a part to correct the problem. My local dealer said the problem could not be repaired under warranty. Cost would be approximately $800. I called Ford’s customer service department for some relief. Same story, “Sorry, but I can not help you…you must bring the car to the dealerâ€. My feeling is Ford knows there is a problem with their design. They spent money to re-engineer a part to fix the problem. They should do the right thing and fix the problem created by their poor design.

Frustrated, I went out the following Saturday, purchased my second Honda, came home and placed an ad in the paper for the Ford. It was only two years old, but took nine weeks to sell at 37% of it’s original purchase price! It’s no wonder Americans are jumping ship and buying imports.

My wife and I will never buy a Ford for the rest of our lives. I am also confident my children will never set foot in a Ford dealer.

Ford - Goodbye forever.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The straw has finally broken the camel’s back. I have owned three Fords and driven three additional ones as company cars. My latest 2003 Ford developed a problem just beyond the warranty. I spoke with several other drivers (since our company leases hundreds of identical Fords as company cars every year) and I also searched on the internet. It turns out the problem is fairly common. Ford has issued a TSB describing the symptoms, failure mode and corrective action. They also re-engineered a part to correct the problem. My local dealer said the problem could not be repaired under warranty. Cost would be approximately $800. I called Ford’s customer service department for some relief. Same story, “Sorry, but I can not help you…you must bring the car to the dealerâ€. My feeling is Ford knows there is a problem with their design. They spent money to re-engineer a part to fix the problem. They should do the right thing and fix the problem created by their poor design.

Frustrated, I went out the following Saturday, purchased my second Honda, came home and placed an ad in the paper for the Ford. It was only two years old, but took nine weeks to sell at 37% of it’s original purchase price! It’s no wonder Americans are jumping ship and buying imports.

My wife and I will never buy a Ford for the rest of our lives. I am also confident my children will never set foot in a Ford dealer.

Ford - Goodbye forever.

I'm with you. Poor quality, terrible resale value and bad dealer experiences will prevent me from ever buying another Ford product. Too bad, as I really love quite a few of their products. I'd been buying them for 30 years but am switching to Honda (for a truck, too).

What model Ford was it and what was the exact problem and part that corrected it?

Paul,

Model : Taurus, but same failure occurs in other models, like Crown Vics and Sables of various years.

Temperature delivered into the cabin was being heated by 20 to 25 degrees. This happened to vented outside air, as well as when using the A/C. TSB discussed a warped blend air door. Ford listed the redesigned P/N of the blend air door in the TSB. Book rate, depending on make & model, was anywhere from 5 to 9 hours with two technicians.

Paul,

Model : Taurus, but same failure occurs in other models, like Crown Vics and Sables of various years.

Temperature delivered into the cabin was being heated by 20 to 25 degrees. This happened to vented outside air, as well as when using the A/C. TSB discussed a warped blend air door. Ford listed the redesigned P/N of the blend air door in the TSB. Book rate, depending on make & model, was anywhere from 5 to 9 hours with two technicians.

any mold?

Well, so long, sorry you won't be around to enjoy the post-Nasser era (your car was the result of his corner-cutting b.s.).

You did say forever, so I don't expect to see you back.

I did say my family will never buy a Ford from now on.

I am still somewhat of a fool. I have a 1987 Mustang GT in my garage with 11,700 miles.

Some think the severe "corner-cutting" will occur in the future when Ford really has to tighten their belt.

I have a feeling you (and many others) will be joining me somewhere down the reliability road..........

Some think the severe "corner-cutting" will occur in the future when Ford really has to tighten their belt.

I have a feeling you (and many others) will be joining me somewhere down the reliability road..........

So much for "gone forever". Some people need to realize the difference between "leaving" and "drama queen".

As quality has RISEN (the Five Hundred and Fusions have had much better launches than their forbears, and better than the Avalon and the Civic, for example), and the quality surveys are mattering more, the entire industry has the choice of getting better or dying.

Could Ford do better? Sure. They're trying. But they've learned (after the Nasser Nightmare) that "good enough to compete" isn't impressing anyone anymore.

But hey, that doesn't matter...you're getting a Honda "truck"! Funny, the Ridgeline is lambasted for being the ugliest vehicle on the road and has had a less-than-glorious debut year (ask about the road test where all four struts blew, or the slow sales!). Honda also has been having serious and constant issues with their automatics...which are mandatory in Ridgelines.

The Odyssey has had a dozen recalls.

But hey, quality issues only happen to Ford, right? Sure. Besides, you're "gone forever"...you won't even get to read this! :D :D

But hey, that doesn't matter...you're getting a Honda "truck"! Funny, the Ridgeline is lambasted for being the ugliest vehicle on the road and has had a less-than-glorious debut year (ask about the road test where all four struts blew, or the slow sales!). Honda also has been having serious and constant issues with their automatics...which are mandatory in Ridgelines.

But hey, quality issues only happen to Ford, right? Sure. Besides, you're "gone forever"...you won't even get to read this! :D :D

You forgot about the new Civic. Is it 3 recalls in 2 months or 2 recalls in 3 months? I can't remember, being distracted by stories about the CRV fires.

mr_blue_twisted_steel,

If you look at things realistically, warranties have limits for a reason.

When you buy car insurance and let it lapse, if you get into an accident the day after will the insurance cover it?

If you subscribe to a monthly magazine for a year, do you complain if they don't send you the 13th issue?

Didn't you buy an extended warranty?

I'm sorry that you have turned away from Ford, but if it broke under warranty and wasn't getting helped, I could understand. Did you expect service for life on the car?

Edited by OAC_Sparky

So much for "gone forever". Some people need to realize the difference between "leaving" and "drama queen".

As quality has RISEN (the Five Hundred and Fusions have had much better launches than their forbears, and better than the Avalon and the Civic, for example), and the quality surveys are mattering more, the entire industry has the choice of getting better or dying.

Could Ford do better? Sure. They're trying. But they've learned (after the Nasser Nightmare) that "good enough to compete" isn't impressing anyone anymore.

Never once said I was buying a truck.

Everything I've read, heard about and experienced says you are correct. Initial quality has improved. But, long term quality and reliability is still poor. My family and I have lived it.

Also, gone forever meant never buying another FoMoCo product, not leaving the site. I still, unfortunately, have that Mustang GT.

You know how he feels? I don't recall mr_blue_twisted_steel saying he's been leasing the same car for 10 years. ;)

:lol:

the 'end of warranty' does have to happen somewhere...things like the early 3.8 head gaskets, CV manifolds, maybe certain blend doors coulda been better, and in typical 20/20 hindsight, they probably are now.

BUT while nothing lasts forever, certain things definitely SHOULD- as when they dont you can too easily create an 'ex customer'. warranty's gone, water under the bridge, but its still a blackeye, as its not a part that would normally fail- EVER. vacuum controls, cable operators...well yeah, they are mechanical things, but if heat warps a plastic part thats supposed to be part of the heat/cool selector- obviously blame goes back to before car was built. hopefully things have gotten better, but theres some issues I kinda worry about-

new mustang 'floor' setting dont work...a tiny bit out the floor and a facefull of defroster. I found thread over at themustangsource.com forums (2006 section in 'issues') where some guys work ok, some dont, some work after shuting off for a bit, etc...I did find that on a cold day you can select 'floor+dash' and close dash vents to keep feet warm without roasting your face, but it sounds kinda similar already...then today a new TSB was posted about the fuelpump clicking off multiple times...basically says try another pump as nothing will be done, modificaions/replacements not recommended...but it dont mention the fuel puking issues that occasionally occur- apparently from same fill tube/venting issue...I've only got gas spewed on me once to date(second fillup- very upsetting) but its inevitable somebody will get their cellphone wet with gas and poof sooner or later...I sure hope the 'find another pump' solution aint still the 'fix' when the '08s roll out. would really suck to see the mustang become a 'media pinto' if a fuel burping incident ever results in a fire- let alone contributing to someone getting hurt. Ive got a BP I stumbled into a few weeks ago, went to same pump/same direction, filled 3 times uneventfully...first two times(both different statons) rinsed down side of the car(maybe 1/2 a cup - and a few cups- soaked my pantleg, stunk up that new car smell forever...) third gasup I was afraid, so stopped after 10 gallons, then tried the kinda far away BP and three times so far no problems...things like this worry me- as the TSB documents problems have been around , yet it appears perhaps another few hundred thousand units might roll out with known issues...

these are little things that can become bigger things if left unchecked- hopefully problem is still being researched and a cheap solution can be found- even more hopefully the 07 models will have things like blend controls and tank fill/vent issues that are NEVER an issue again...In defense of ford, a couple guys mentioned that thier toyodas or hondas or some imports(didnt pay much attention to) had fill issues occasionally too...its not just american companies, but the import fans sure love to point fingers at things like this. theres a really good post in one of these threads from a dealer of all makes about misinterpretations and misconceptions about foreign/domestic 'quality perceptions', and their stuff aint all its cracked up to be. sadly though, any 'issues' that stay 'issues' are just feeding the myths...no car is perfect, none wil ever be- but when something like a heater control or gas fillup becomes an issue to folks that have drove a lot of cars over a lot of years never even knew could be an issue...is not a good thing.

Ive had (pretty sure) 14 cars, been driving 26 years, and NEVER poured gas down the side of a car till my first two mustang fillups. I had to reconnect a heater cable that popped loose on my 65 galaxie, but- its 40 frickin years old...I love the mustang, its really the best car I could have ever imagined, and these little things dont make me dislike the car at all...but a lot of folks would be screaming at the dealer every fillup for another new tank(read of one guy on his third) that wont change anything...this is piddly stuff that just should not be an issue. the longer it goes on the more folks will get upset about it...if theyre worried about a flood of 300,000 buyers all insisting on new tanks/fillers, then do some other crap for 07- make it bigger(extended range) or some positive advertising type of thing, but please dump this tank before next model year. lots of folks have never had a problem- perhaps they also just buy gas at one station...guaranteed sooner or later on a trip somewhere they either will spend 20 minutes of clikclikclikclikclikclikclikclik to get a gallon in, OR have a big burp of vapor blow after click off blow a cup or two of gas out the side of the car.

:lol:

the 'end of warranty' does have to happen somewhere...things like the early 3.8 head gaskets, CV manifolds, maybe certain blend doors coulda been better, and in typical 20/20 hindsight, they probably are now.

BUT while nothing lasts forever, certain things definitely SHOULD- as when they dont you can too easily create an 'ex customer'. warranty's gone, water under the bridge, but its still a blackeye, as its not a part that would normally fail- EVER. vacuum controls, cable operators...well yeah, they are mechanical things, but if heat warps a plastic part thats supposed to be part of the heat/cool selector- obviously blame goes back to before car was built. hopefully things have gotten better, but theres some issues I kinda worry about-

new mustang 'floor' setting dont work...a tiny bit out the floor and a facefull of defroster. I found thread over at themustangsource.com forums (2006 section in 'issues') where some guys work ok, some dont, some work after shuting off for a bit, etc...I did find that on a cold day you can select 'floor+dash' and close dash vents to keep feet warm without roasting your face, but it sounds kinda similar already...then today a new TSB was posted about the fuelpump clicking off multiple times...basically says try another pump as nothing will be done, modificaions/replacements not recommended...but it dont mention the fuel puking issues that occasionally occur- apparently from same fill tube/venting issue...I've only got gas spewed on me once to date(second fillup- very upsetting) but its inevitable somebody will get their cellphone wet with gas and poof sooner or later...I sure hope the 'find another pump' solution aint still the 'fix' when the '08s roll out. would really suck to see the mustang become a 'media pinto' if a fuel burping incident ever results in a fire- let alone contributing to someone getting hurt. Ive got a BP I stumbled into a few weeks ago, went to same pump/same direction, filled 3 times uneventfully...first two times(both different statons) rinsed down side of the car(maybe 1/2 a cup - and a few cups- soaked my pantleg, stunk up that new car smell forever...) third gasup I was afraid, so stopped after 10 gallons, then tried the kinda far away BP and three times so far no problems...things like this worry me- as the TSB documents problems have been around , yet it appears perhaps another few hundred thousand units might roll out with known issues...

these are little things that can become bigger things if left unchecked- hopefully problem is still being researched and a cheap solution can be found- even more hopefully the 07 models will have things like blend controls and tank fill/vent issues that are NEVER an issue again...In defense of ford, a couple guys mentioned that thier toyodas or hondas or some imports(didnt pay much attention to) had fill issues occasionally too...its not just american companies, but the import fans sure love to point fingers at things like this. theres a really good post in one of these threads from a dealer of all makes about misinterpretations and misconceptions about foreign/domestic 'quality perceptions', and their stuff aint all its cracked up to be. sadly though, any 'issues' that stay 'issues' are just feeding the myths...no car is perfect, none wil ever be- but when something like a heater control or gas fillup becomes an issue to folks that have drove a lot of cars over a lot of years never even knew could be an issue...is not a good thing.

Ive had (pretty sure) 14 cars, been driving 26 years, and NEVER poured gas down the side of a car till my first two mustang fillups. I had to reconnect a heater cable that popped loose on my 65 galaxie, but- its 40 frickin years old...I love the mustang, its really the best car I could have ever imagined, and these little things dont make me dislike the car at all...but a lot of folks would be screaming at the dealer every fillup for another new tank(read of one guy on his third) that wont change anything...this is piddly stuff that just should not be an issue. the longer it goes on the more folks will get upset about it...if theyre worried about a flood of 300,000 buyers all insisting on new tanks/fillers, then do some other crap for 07- make it bigger(extended range) or some positive advertising type of thing, but please dump this tank before next model year. lots of folks have never had a problem- perhaps they also just buy gas at one station...guaranteed sooner or later on a trip somewhere they either will spend 20 minutes of clikclikclikclikclikclikclikclik to get a gallon in, OR have a big burp of vapor blow after click off blow a cup or two of gas out the side of the car.

I failed to mention in my initial post that the same 2003 Taurus made 11 visits to the dealer under warranty to repair/correct 14 individual problems.

Okay, yours was a problem. It still was designed when an anti-quality and anti-car goon had the reins. That was then.

If you're "gone forever", get gone. This feels like a 12-year-old's threat to run away from home, resulting in his hiding over at a friend's house for 2-3 hours.

You're leaving, or you're not. Pick one, and do it. Your beefs are laid out.

Okay, yours was a problem. It still was designed when an anti-quality and anti-car goon had the reins. That was then.

If you're "gone forever", get gone. This feels like a 12-year-old's threat to run away from home, resulting in his hiding over at a friend's house for 2-3 hours.

You're leaving, or you're not. Pick one, and do it. Your beefs are laid out.

as stated previously........."gone forever meant never buying another FoMoCo product, not leaving the site."

I just want people to know that "some" of these cars are poorly designed, unreliable and have little resale value.

as stated previously........."gone forever meant never buying another FoMoCo product, not leaving the site."

I just want people to know that "some" of these cars are poorly designed, unreliable and have little resale value.

I am trying to understand the Ford system. You buy a Ford vehicle from Ford. The vehicle is a problem so you take it to the Ford dealer. The dealer does not take care of the problem. You complain to Ford and they tell you to see the dealer who will not fix the problem. And of course the sticker is, the Ford dealer does not represent the Ford motor company. Therefore it is not Ford motor companies fault. Sort of like the old Soviet Union. So you buy a Honda and the problem is solved.

Is that it in a nutshell?

I am trying to understand the Ford system. You buy a Ford vehicle from Ford. The vehicle is a problem so you take it to the Ford dealer. The dealer does not take care of the problem. You complain to Ford and they tell you to see the dealer who will not fix the problem. And of course the sticker is, the Ford dealer does not represent the Ford motor company. Therefore it is not Ford motor companies fault. Sort of like the old Soviet Union. So you buy a Honda and the problem is solved.

Is that it in a nutshell?

second line is the problem. seen as 'you buy the vehicle from dealer'. all interaction is to dealer, contacting ford usually results in broken record response"contact your dealer".

currently ford sees dealer as their customer, and actual buyers as someone elses problem...not all fords fault for sure- I bet enough franchise agreement rules probably establish the brickwalls(ensuring dealer has a 'purpose'). hopefully things will change, but its only gonna happen if folks can have real dialog with Ford...hopefully the dealers will see they need to change their ways(maybe get scrutinized a bit closer/lose some incentives) in order for their parent company to survive. Personally I think franchise agreements shoul prohibit selling cars over sticker- unless markup at least split with the fine folks that built a car good enough to command a premium. many dealers gouged for way more profit than ford could ever make on the gt(40) and to me thats just wrong on so many levels...dealer didnt need to 'sell' that car- it sold itself on merits achieved by ford motor company- yet the 'real problem' guys get the reward for the great car...