Fifth Gear Reviews the Mondeo

BlackHorse

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5th Gear guy thought this car could easily compete with more expensive vehicles.

"Suddenly, 30-40k# cars are going to seem...ridiculous." So the features & quality exist.

I also like the bit about Ford [of Europe] going after BMW. Why stop there?

Will future Mondeo & Fusions align? Will their styling merge? Even a little?

Lucky Brits

The acceptance of the verve's styling will determine that.

import another Ford -- non-gussied up --

Didn't you watch the video? Look at the interior of that cabin and listen to the reviewer at the options that car has. It has options the MkZ can only dream about, better looks inside and out, and costs about the same using the American dollar.

If these two were sitting next to each other at the dealership, the only reason a person would choose the MkZ is because of the rebate that would have to be attached to it to get it to sell.

The acceptance of the verve's styling will determine that.

I disagree, I think Ford has made it clear that Americans may get products on a common platform, but styling wise we will get the short end of the stick because Ford NA thinks Americans don't like stylish cars. THey will waste money to "Americanize" a car and basically that just involves wasting money to make the car worst, GM and Ford are good at that.

Edited by DCK

Didn't you watch the video? Look at the interior of that cabin and listen to the reviewer at the options that car has. It has options the MkZ can only dream about, better looks inside and out, and costs about the same using the American dollar.

If these two were sitting next to each other at the dealership, the only reason a person would choose the MkZ is because of the rebate that would have to be attached to it to get it to sell.

And again, who determines what is better looking? Who determines what options make a car and what doesn't. The MKZ has features the Mondeo could only dream of. Because you find the ones in the Mondeo better does not make it true.

As we all know, the models offered by FOA and FOE were planned before Mullaly arrived. Now that Ford is being restructured from top to bottom and platform sharing will happen there will not be a need to wish for a Mondeo. It's a done deal.

You will like the next Fusion and MKZ.

Looking back and complaining about FOA doesn't accomplish one thing. That's history. The future product mix is not too hard to figure out. What do you like/dislike about any future products. Now is the time to speak up. Stop worring about the past, it connot be changed.

But Fords history and present offerings make it not so easy to be optimistic. Again this is my opinion Blue II but Ford of America still does not have a car with (IMO not fact only my observations) the same substance/fortitude in their cars that can be seen/felt in its Euro Fords. I am not talking features I am talking whats under the skin and door panels. You know when you shut a door is sounds solid or you close the trunk lid and it feels solid, or the hood over the engine bay sits on stronger hinges or struts. Even the brake discs, the rubber used around the door/window frames etc. Can you say 100% for sure that Ford of America will not water down or use cheaper forms of the items I mention that are under the skin on these 20?? whenever Ford vehicles are to be built.

I do not care what Ford of America does with the cosmetics as far as face and rear end treatments, interior execution, because I have no idea what Ford thinks Americans prefer, and I have no idea what style preferences American consumers prefer.

Edited by MKII

And again, who determines what is better looking? Who determines what options make a car and what doesn't. The MKZ has features the Mondeo could only dream of. Because you find the ones in the Mondeo better does not make it true.

It would be very interesting seeing the spec sheets side by side for these 2 vehicles.

I disagree, I think Ford has made it clear that Americans may get products on a common platform, but styling wise we will get the short end of the stick because Ford NA thinks Americans don't like stylish cars. THey will waste money to "Americanize" a car and basically that just involves wasting money to make the car worst, GM and Ford are good at that.

Based on what? What your wants and likes are most likely different then what the vast majority of the car buying public buys...just look at the lovely styling of the best selling cars on the market, from Japan.

part of the reason why Japanese cars sell is based on their reputation, not their styling. American car makes can use styling to get interest in their product since they don't have this, but is European styling the only answer? No, there where pently of people who hated the trianglar headlights on the 00 Focus when it our shores, just like people hate the razor blade grill on newer cars. I think styling is an overrated bench mark since its so subjective, unless its truly hideous like the Aztek

Based on what? What your wants and likes are most likely different then what the vast majority of the car buying public buys...just look at the lovely styling of the best selling cars on the market, from Japan.

part of the reason why Japanese cars sell is based on their reputation, not their styling. American car makes can use styling to get interest in their product since they don't have this, but is European styling the only answer? No, there where pently of people who hated the trianglar headlights on the 00 Focus when it our shores, just like people hate the razor blade grill on newer cars. I think styling is an overrated bench mark since its so subjective, unless its truly hideous like the Aztek

The best option is offer both the EU spec'ed cars and American spec'ed cars for the NA market.

It will allow Ford to appeal to a wider consumer base.

That is where Mercury could fill the gap. Style Ford cars for the American market and use the Euro sheet metal and interiors and Euro options on the Mercury's. We have seen it right here on BON how polarized tastes are for Euro styling and American styling. The extra cost for having to build anouther set of dies for the Mercury's and interior bits for U.S produced cars or the cost or importing the EU sheet metal can be absorbed in then higher price of the Mercury's. Ford would be able to cater too two distinctly different tastes in regards to styling.

It was said that most Americans want to pay nothing for cars, But not all are like that. So give them the option of lower cost with the Ford's and allow the consumer the choice of being able to spend more for Mercury.

This is not with out precedence either Mercury's have traditionally had a little Euro flair to them so why not just go whole hog and build the Euro styled units here under the Mercury badge. Mercury's best sales years were when they were distincly different from the Ford's Now they are literally little more than a rebadge job and the sales reflect that.

This would also give Ford a solid mid range player and allow Lincoln to move more upscale.

it would definitely broaden the appeal of Ford Products to consumers.

I know I have pretty much always bought Mercury's' I just found the styling more to my liking especially the interiors. Even now with Merc gone from Canada for nearly 10 years I know people that would never buy a Ford car but have bought Merc's.

And with Merc's reputation for better quality and better dealer service there is something tangible to give the consumer for the higher price of the Merc cars.

Just a thought any how.

Matthew

Didn't you watch the video? Look at the interior of that cabin and listen to the reviewer at the options that car has.

To be completely honest, no not yet.

But I have seen the interior of the Mondeo and it didn't scream "luxury car" to me. Then again, who am I to tell? What I always remember is that Jellymoulds has repeatedly said: In sunny Britanny, Focus is an old man's car and Mondeo is nothing special.

Edited by Roadrunner

To be completely honest, no not yet.

But I have seen the interior of the Mondeo and it didn't scream "luxury car" to me. Then again, who am I to tell? What I always remember is that Jellymoulds has repeatedly said: In sunny Britanny, Focus is an old man's car and Mondeo is nothing special.

It doesn't scream luxury car to me either. I guess thats why it depends on your tastes. It kind of angers me how some people refuse to acknowledge not only that, but also the fact that this is not Europe.

The cost of importing it when the domestic production will be adopting the same platform in 24-36 months is probably not worth doing. Currently, Ford is brand-rebuilding, and they've put a big investment into the chrome bar front end as a corporate design signature. While it doesn't please everybody, it pleases most, and it doesn't look Asian, so bringing the Euro Ford front-end seems to be contrary effort.

But the Modeo interior is excellent, and seems to be something that would benefit the next Fusion. Do you think The Mull will accept anything less from Dearborn?

It doesn't scream luxury car to me either. I guess thats why it depends on your tastes. It kind of angers me how some people refuse to acknowledge not only that, but also the fact that this is not Europe.

How'd ya like them cooled seats? What about the link that showcases all the technology packed into it? Still looking for a feature the Z has but the Mondeo doesn't? There's only one.

It's called mediocrity.

I am so bored with this argument,

C1 is better than C170

EUCD is technologiaclly superior to CD3

I after spending time with Ford's new products they are making progress. they know they have a long way to go.

Richard, silverSVT, etc

stop trying to convince us that the fusion is Good enough for us.

We don't buy it. We will always want more.

I UNDERSTAND why they made the Fusion what it is.

but We don't have to like it.

Edited by Biker16

We don't buy it. We will always want more.

I UNDERSTAND why they made the Fusion what it is.

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

Anyways as for your comment about me...the Fusion is good enough as it stands now vs what Ford has given us in the past...but don't take what I'm saying as that the car is PERFECT by any means. The car is a good basis to improve upon.

Anyways as for your comment about me...the Fusion is good enough as it stands now vs what Ford has given us in the past...but don't take what I'm saying as that the car is PERFECT by any means. The car is a good basis to improve upon.

I agree with that, but what people like Biker need to understand, is that the Mondeo is far from perfect as well and would not be well received here. The EUCD is not necessarily superior to the CD3, but may be given that its newer. Different tastes fro different areas. THIS IS NOT EUROPE!!!!!

I understand it but I do not Accept it. it our job as Ford enthusiasts demand better and more. not less and average.

Ford had other options than CD3 not of them were perfect. CD3 was the quickest fix.

I agree, the Fusion is godd but far from perfect.

I agree with that, but what people like Biker need to understand, is that the Mondeo is far from perfect as well and would not be well received here. The EUCD is not necessarily superior to the CD3, but may be given that its newer. Different tastes fro different areas. THIS IS NOT EUROPE!!!!!

the Mondeo is not perfect, true, but more Americans than ever are buying japanese, THIS IS NOT JAPAN!!!!!

I genuinely believe that the mondeo brings more to the table, that the competition does not have. IMO

who cares where it came from.

My question -Why has Ford not been more forward thinking with the amortized cost of federalization in future planned vehicles.

Why does Ford N.A. seem not to have considered this , I ask this because even in many articles and Mulally himself has asked similar questions such as why don't we have that car in North America (referring to the Mondeo). Internally in Ford N.A. and many here seem not to like the idea and treat this as a anti American scenario. Is Mulally being like the character from the Simpson as RJ psoted earlier, or anti-American by thinking this way about the Mondeo, or he is too new to the game and is ignorant to the facts or excuses we here over and over.

Well, it's like this. Ford should not be importing its bread and butter products from Europe.

Therefore amortized cost of federalization is a non-issue.

As far as Mulally wanting to know why we don't have the Mondeo here, it's wanting to know why the same sized vehicle is on two different platforms engineered by two separate teams on two different continents.

My opinion is that the new Mondeo would take sales from BMW and others in the C/D segments, and generate very good conquest sales, which is a good thing for Ford.

Would it be benefical for Ford if they could find a way to change consumers perception of Ford cars?

1) if we want to play 'one world' here, a conquest sale in Europe is more valuable (and more profitable) than a conquest sale in the U.S. Bearing in mind that every Mondeo sold here -can't- be sold in Europe, I think it's wise for Ford to keep this car in Europe.

2) what I'm hearing is that the Mondeo would be good for Ford because it is -nothing like- current Ford products.

I ask you, how would that be good for Ford? How would selling some odd-ball one-off car improve perception of, say the Taurus, or the Focus? The Mondeo is nothing like them.

All it would do is breed some cult of Mondeo loyalists, who would sniff and sneer at other Ford products. Just as they do here already.

Oh shut up.

I mean, I hate to be rude, but I am about sick and tired of coming here and finding what I type misconstrued, misquoted, and ridiculed by people who have nothing positive to say whatsoever.

I swear, the total turnaround in quality at Ford NA (Ford NA scores higher than FoE on the JD Power surveys), the undeniable positives on the Fusion, all of that is so much stinking monkey crap to you people.

You said it yourself, "We will always want more"

I got news for you, buddy, that doesn't make you smart, insightful, or perceptive.

It just makes you an ass.

It doesn't take any great ability to walk around saying, "This sucks, I want something else."

You can go back and review my comments here, you'll find I acknowledge more negatives at Ford than you and others like you acknowledge positives, and you have the gall to accuse me and people on the board like me of trying to convince you that everything's great?

Why don't you actually read the stuff posted here, instead of assuming that it's all wrong and that only you have the answers?

Well, it's like this. Ford should not be importing its bread and butter products from Europe.

Therefore amortized cost of federalization is a non-issue.

Whoa whoa whoa -- they build Mondeos somewhere in Latin America too. That explains why I see Mexican Mondeos every once in a while (and Ikons too)

How do you feel about importing from there, where things are cheaper?