Time's 50 Worst Cars of All Time

Maybe automotive publications should have a top 10 worst news publications of all time...

LINK

Holy crap. . . it seems like half of them are Fords! Some deserved, maybe, but the Model T and Explorer basically get bashed because they were TOO popular. Of course, no Toyotas, Hondas or Nissans to be found anywhere.

Edited by Catalepsy

The Model T .....put America and subsequently the world on wheels.

This was a reason (given) for the Model T being one of the worst. It was a political statement, regarding the negative impact on our environment by "putting America on wheels."

In other words, the purpose of the list was not only to critique the merits (or lack thereof) of certain autos, from a practical/performance standpoint, but also the larger "American way of life" (considering the auto is such an integral part).

I read the list (some of it anyway), but after reading the Model T's political statement, I took it with no more than a grain of salt.

The author is a columnist for the LA Times; not what you would consider an un-biased news source.

LMAO At their description of the Hummer

It was/is arrogantly huge, overtly militaristic, openly scornful of the common good.

Gee, who wrote that, their on staff communist?

The Hummer is opposed to the common good!!! lol

Bunch of sierra club, communist pricks that work at Time. Does that really surprise anyone.

Read this piece of electronic asswipe yesterday. Dan Neil is obviously falling in love with himself.

Talk about double-speak! He includes cars like the Explorer, Excursion, Hummer, and even the model T on the premise of their socio-environmental impact...

... then bashes the EV1 out of context after saying it was the best that could have been done at the time?! :finger::redcard: What an ass.

He soundly rips the fruits of overwrought government control, like the Chevette, Pinto, Gremlin, Iron Duke and V8-6-4... while non-so-subtly suggesting a return to them.

I mean, bash stupid American society for falling in love with silly overblown SUVs - not Ford and Chevy for building them. By his logic, the real culprits should have been the Bronco, K-Blazer, Ramcharger and Scout the preceeded them 20 years prior. Oh, but that's not fashionable, and those names were likely be beyond the grasp of the typical west-coast eco-weenie.

Plus to give credit where due: I believe TTAC was the first publication to compare a car's grille to a vagina.

I do enjoy they way he rips British cars, though.

Edited by goingincirclez

The Model T and the Explorer do not deserve to be on that list. Sure the first one made cars popular and the last one made SUV's popular, but they were by far not the Worse 50 Cars of All Time. If they would have been the worse would they have been successful??? NO! Those were the only 2 vehicles on that list that were VERY successful. Looks like to me someone who wrote that list has an agenda against Ford Motor Company. If you use their logic on why the Explorer is on the list...shouldn't the Suburban be on the list instead of the Excursion? It got the jumbo sized SUV craze going before the Excursion ever came along.

Oh and yeah I did read one time that those Cadillac V8-6-4 really were crappy as hell.

And along those lines, Jeep had the Cherokee/Wagoneer back in the 70's, and the popular version of the Cherokee (the vehicle credited by people who actually pay attention as being the birth of the SUV) debuted in 1984, eleven years before the Explorer noted in the article.

Dan Neil is about the laziest sack of crap auto editor I've ever encountered. He has no clue what he is talking about, forms his conclusions before gathering the facts, and in most cases even MANIPULATES FACTS to fill a hasty conclusion.

THIS: Just in. Dan Neil has just posted an addendum to his 50 worst cars story. You can read it below:

[sarcasm]

Dan Neil's addendum to the top 50 worst cars:

Ford Pintos sucked because they blew up.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (zeig heil Japan, bitch!), Toyota, in its undisputed, philanthropy, which by the way, will someday save the world as we know it, was busy developing eco-friendly cars that not only produced odoriferous emissions resembling the smell of cotton candy, which effectively negate greenhouse gasses produced by the evil lords of Detroit, but also paved the way to a perfect world where we can tip toe through the tulips of globalization, frolicking like little Japanese school girls, with orfices resembling the grill of an Edsel. And, I would know. Because in Japan, school girls drive Toyotas. And, well, Toyotas blow up my skirt (and cross dressing is cool, by the way). Shouldn't Toyotas blow up your skirt, too? Now, you must excuse me. I have Edsel grilles to examine for defect.

[/sarcasm]

I wish someone would punt that sorry excuse to the corner.

Edited by SVT_MAN

No. Everybody made that comparison with the Edsel.

I'm assuming this was about the Edsel. I have not read, nor will I ever read, Dan Neil's self-gratulatory barfy-snark-fest.

Maybe metaphorically... I always thought "horse collar" was a stretch. But in virtually every article I've ever read about the Edsel (not all that have been written but more more more than a few), that's what they called it: "The Horse-collar Grille".

He should have put the Nissan Armada up there. That had to be the funniest bash of a car I ever read. Short of TTAC and the Flying.... horse collar :P

But in virtually every article I've ever read about the Edsel (not all that have been written but more more more than a few), that's what they called it: "The Horse-collar Grille".

People were more polite back then. Check out "Ford: The Men and The Machine" for documentary evidence.

TTAC hasn't done anything new or revolutionary. They're just about the worst of the 'diarrhea of the mouth' blog sites.

LINK

Holy crap. . . it seems like half of them are Fords! Some deserved, maybe, but the Model T and Explorer basically get bashed because they were TOO popular. Of course, no Toyotas, Hondas or Nissans to be found anywhere.

Stupid list and stupid web site.

Any web site with a Flashing "You WON!!!!" Add is incapable of climbing above Stupid.

Any web site still using the "She married Him!" advertising that was dumb a week after it came out 5 years ago is only advertising its rapid decline.

Peace and Blessings