Which models Chrysler is likely to kill

Anthony

Can Chrysler Turn Itself Around?

Link to full story at MSNBC

Large SUVs

First to go will be the Chrysler Aspen and Jeep Commander—seven-passenger, Hemi-loaded behemoths. They are the slow-selling siblings of the Dodge Durango, which itself could be threatened by a breathtaking 28 percent sales drop this year.

Small SUVs

The Compass, a "girly Jeep," according to Peterson, bites the dust. The Nitro gives way to the similarly sized and priced Caliber, which sells better. The Patriot stays in the lineup, but perhaps at the expense of the older Jeep Liberty, which is also similarly sized, but pricier.

Sport Wagons

Analysts expect Nardelli and Press to let the Magnum drive itself into an early grave.The days are also numbered for the Chrysler Pacifica sport wagon.

Pickups

The slump in the housing market is taking a toll on sales of big pickups. Small pickups, though, have always been a hard sell. Automakers produced them mostly to meet federal fuel-economy regulations. But those mileage rules are changing, which could give Cerberus an opening to drop the salesproof Dodge Dakota small pickup.

Cars

...analysts expect him to kill the Sebring and order up a new sedan that is a worthy Camry competitor.

All these predictions are subject to change. Because change, of course, is what Cerberus is all about. Quick change. "In six weeks," says Peterson, "Chrysler's entire product plan will be turned upside down." And that's what it will take to keep Chrysler from going the way of the Edsel.

i still dont think the Dakota was a bad truck initially. it just got too big and thirsty for its own good. why buy a Dakota when you can realistically get a Ram for the same price?

Ill kinda miss the Magnum, i like it. Other than that, good riddance to the rest.

Edited by Sixt9coug

Geez, just about all of their lineup is flimsy shells of what their competition is doing. All of their FWD stuff is cheap in my opinion. The only exception to that is the Liberty/Nitro. I don't care for the Sebring, Avenger or Caliber and Compass. As for the Aspen, never really cared for it, although both my wife and mother seemed to like it. I myself liked the Commander, but never had a reason to buy one.

As for the Magnum, its getting a new front end and if it could hang on long enough, they maybe could salvage the sales by fixing the blind spots. For all its quirkiness, I have always loved the Magnum and would lean toward the Magnum as my favorite LX car.

I like the Ram obviously. Durango and Dakota are good trucks. I'd love to have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and I salivate every time I see a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. I like all the LX sedans and I'm thinking that the Challenger will make for a beautiful (albeit heavy) and powerful coupe. Obviously the Viper is on the keep list, but other than those immediately above that I listed, I don't care for the other stuff.

I kinda hate to see the Dakota and Magnum go. The Dakota (to me) was one of the only ones to stay the same size (other than Ranger) and the rest of the competition kind of caught up.

The Magnum would be a shame to lose, only one of it's kind that isn't a damned crossover or SUV. As good as it looks, Dodge has definitely uglied and blanded up the front clip with this most recent facelift, I don't think it's going to help it. :finger:

I vote:

Dodge:

Avenger, Caliber, Magnum, Dakota, Durango, Nitro

Chrysler:

Aspen, Crossfire, Pacifica, Sebring, PT (at least a redesign)

Jeep:

Commander, Compass, Patriot, new Liberty (too ugly, not Jeep looking enough, they made it look mini-Commander, not the best look to go for either)

Edited by rmc523

The article, like most not very good researched articles...has lots of glaring inaccuracies. I just didn't have time to post them last night when I threw it up here.

The Nitro gives way to the similarly sized and priced Caliber, which sells better

They are nowhere near in size nor price...not sure where they got this from (Caliber bases at $14K, Nitro starts @ $20K). Though, I do see a substantial refresh for the Nitro sooner rather then later because it is a bit odd looking up front.

The Patriot stays in the lineup, but perhaps at the expense of the older Jeep Liberty, which is also similarly sized, but pricier.

Truly bad research here. The Liberty which is on its way to dealer lots is a year newer then the Patriot. The Patriot is selling decently, but the current model Liberty, as long in tooth as it is...sells much better.

As bad a job as they did, the rest probably is not too far off.

Edited by Intrepidatious

The Patriot is there to help Jeep be less fuel cost sensitive. Yes, kill the rediculous compas. But, keep the Patriot as it can indeed help Jeep keep decent fuel economy numbers, its cheap enough to make, looks enough like the classic Cherokee, and can be given passable off road performance if desired. The Patriot's single biggest shortcoming is the engine/tranny combo. The CVT is not very well programmed (I know, I've driven one as a rental) and the engine just doesn't have quite enough torque for a vehicle that weighs that much. They would be doing well to give it a MCE that expands the engine bay enough to fit the 2.7L v6 in there. Even if it resulted in the vehicle having to use a 4AT.

The Dakota is just too heavy and has also been saddled with DCXs underwhelming v6 engines. The 3.7L V6 (that was a chopped up 4.7L v8) uses almost as much gas as the v8 did, and while it has passable torque, it underwhelms on the hp side of things. Had it gotten the same upgrades that the 4.7L got this year, it would be much more formidable as a truck engine and better on gas, but, then, it would also have 12 spark plugs and be slightly more expensive to make and maintain. Chrysle could likely simplify things a lot for themselves by making the truck bed on the Dakota out of composites to save weight, going to a three engine lineup (2.4L I4 for the regular cab base, use the new 4.0L DOHC as the standard V6, and keep the new 4.7L v8 as the top optional engine. The 4.0L DOHC is more efficient than the 3.7L SOHC (and weighs less). Yeah, its a bit more expensive to build, but, given its greater numbers in production at that point, it may amortize out the same.

All their large 3 row SUVs are also rans. The Durango has the best Reason d'etre, but, the others just need to go.

As long as the Liberty is produced, the Nitro is cheap to keep around. However, with the new crossover three row coming out (passage or something?) it becomes more niche and redundant. Keep it until new Liberty volume is up high enough to be sustainable for the line.

Dodge and chrysler need a new small sedan. The Caliber just isn't thrifty enough to suffice there. I know that there is some sort of Chinese made abomination due to hit the shores soon, but, I don't know enough about it to say its the answer.

The minivans are interesting, but not at all goood looking. The wife and I looked at buying one just recently, but, found that it wasn't that great of a vehicle. The Odyssey and especially the Sienna are far better vehicles from a practicality standpoint and a fuel efficiency standpoint.

The Magnum needs to go, unless building it is essentially free given line flexibility. I just don't ever see new ones on the street.

The Avenger and Sebring need to both stay while a serious MCE is put in place for them both. No sense in killing one to keep the other. But, that MCE needs to address several things. The interiors are both poor (even by Ford standards). The driving experience isn't great. The exterior isn't that great. The efficiency isn't that great. Overall, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generation of DCX midsizers, but, that's not saying anything at all. That's like saying the cobalt is miles ahead of the Cavalier.

If Chrysler kills the steady selling PTC, they are nuts. I own one and will probably buy a second. Ford has nothing like it and even Chevy sells theirs. A unique, well made and highly versatile unit is worthwhile to keep. Go ahead and tweak the design, but never kill it until it STOPS selling.

I'd cut Jeep back to Pioneer, Wrangler, and Grand Cherokee. I think that Liberty buyers can be happy with either the Pioneer or 4 door Wranger.

Do you mean Patriot? And why would you get rid of Liberty (even though new one is Nitro w/ a Jeep grille, yuck!), an established nameplate for Jeep, to allow Patriot, an unestablished brand new nameplate, to sell in place of the Liberty?

Do you mean Patriot? And why would you get rid of Liberty (even though new one is Nitro w/ a Jeep grille, yuck!), an established nameplate for Jeep, to allow Patriot, an unestablished brand new nameplate, to sell in place of the Liberty?

If Chrysler wants to reduce the number of SUV's it offers, I would keep the Patriot instead of the Liberty because the Patriot is almost as roomy and more fuel efficient.

Can't believe someone wouldn't have known that the Jeeps are not BOF, before buying?

Anyway, Allpar.com Moparheads, Plymouth is still dead and not coming back. As soon as Daimler sold Mopar, they were expecting 2008 Plymouth Road Runners coming off the lines this fall.

Here in Chicago area, the 3rd largest metro area, dealers are combining into C-D-J stores. No room for redundant cars, like the good old days of Plymouth/Dodge Neons.

And no, the Caliber isn't going anywhere, it is selling and is needed for CAFE! But, the Magnum is toast, along with Durango family of porky SUV's.

Edited by 630land

It's frightening how bad the Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep line has become, especially in light of the homerun hit of the 300 and Charger. The whole line badly needs a substantially re-engineering and makeover.

They've got the right idea using the Lancer platform for a variety of vehicles, but they need to take it back to the drawing board and make it truly world-class and competitive.

They really need to kick it up a notch with interior quality. It's not design that concerns me, but the embarrassingly cheap materials used. Get on the ball guys.

Dodge can keep the Caliber, but it NEEDS a sedan companion. Way too much volume being sacrificed for no good reason.

Both the Avenger and Sebring are in critical segments, but both need a total redesign already.

Dodge also needs the Hornet as soon as possible, Chinese built or not.

Dodge Journey is the right idea as well, and the Pacifica should be redesigned as an upscale twin.

Dropping the Nitro is a mistake as well. It has been very well positioned as an urban mini-SUV, and is an excellent companion to the Liberty. It looks ugly to us, but to the boyz in the hood who want Escalade boldness on an Explorer budget, this is the right vehicle.

Durango/Aspen should be killed in its current iteration, and replaced with a mechanical twin to the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It would give both the chiseled good looks of the Escalade, and at a much lower cost than having two unique platforms.

Chrysler is next.

The 300 and Charger are both going to need a substantial redesign in the near future, as the all-new LY platform debuts alongside the Challenger. The 300 has done extremely well playing as a mini-Bentley, and I definitely think they should continue this. Redesign it with both eggcrate, mesh, and waterfall (Rolls Royce) grill options, and pare it down to one V6 and one V8 offering. Charger has also done very well, and a redesign should still look very 60's and aggressive, but different from the current model as to differentiate it for new buyers. Also pared down to one V6 and one V8 offering.

The PT Cruiser badly needs a ground-up redesign on the Lancer platform, and should definitely retain its retro-wagon looks, while again, looking substantially different from the current model.

I believe Chrysler would do well with a sports car, and the Crossfire wasn't it. They should dust off the Firepower concept, and get it to production with a standard 6.4L Hemi under the hood. It won't be a huge volume seller, but it will set the tone for future Chrysler design, as well as driving showroom traffic to see the $60,000 Aston Martin.

Jeep should be an easy brand to manage.

The Wrangler is a great success story. They should continue expanding the sub-brand, with 2-door, 2-door extended, 4-door, as well as a pickup variant. They should make the military-spec heavy duty models available to the public.

Liberty should also be retained, but split into two models. A blockier stripped down version called Cherokee, and a curvier luxury model called Liberty.

Grand Cherokee can be retained as-is.

Compass should be immediately killed, and the Patriot redesigned slightly to improve driving dynamics and quality. The Patriot is a low-cost, sweet-spot model that should be a big hit for Jeep.

Light-duty pickups are another consideration. I think the new Grand Cherokee/Durange/Aspen platform can be redesigned into a Ridgeline-type unibody pickup truck for Dodge and Jeep. Dodge Rampage (naturally), and the Grand Comanche as a companion to the smaller Wrangler pickup.