Union Tampers With Chairperson Election: STAP CAW 1520

The Union at CAW local 1520 in collusion with Whitey mc Donald has vied to install it’s next plant chair against the popular vote of the members of CAW 1520.

It all started when two weeks ago the union had a closed door meeting. Mr. Mc Donald told the inplant committee and all the union reps; including the alternate plant chair NOT to run for the plant chair position. Whitey Mc Donald was resigning and would go to the CAW Chrysler National. He wished to have his family friend Scott Smith installed as the new plant chair. Scott is related to Peter Hertline (Retired 1520 Union Rep ) an old boy from the old school union and friend of Mr. Mc Donald. Scott Smith received his job at STAP from his family friends in the union and fast tracked his way into the Production Standards Job having worked less than a year on the line. A qualified person for the job was brushed aside. Scott Smith has never been on any committee’s or trained in any union related courses or educationals or been on a strike line. While working in Production Standards at Ford ; Scott Smith has time and time again referred to the workers as “Lazy and Overpaid”….

How could someone like this be a candidate for STAP Plan Chairperson…Easy voter tampering …All the union reps are campaigning for him while they do there rounds as per there instructions . last Thursday STAP went short due to a parts shortage. Scott Smith had FPS union hourly personnel putting up flyers for him on company time as they had to stay behind anyway.

Scott was short sighted recently in telling his buddies who came to STAP from Oakville that they would get there sonority reinstated when he gets into office. His buddies had big mouths and word got out to the floor. In the 90’s there was a large lay-off and some STAP employees went to Oakville …they were not suppose to ever return…but they did three years later but without the sonority. All SAP employees were told they would never get to return if they went to Oakville…well…Kenny Mc kay; another Union Rep from CAW 1520 had that changed so his family member could return to SATP…hmm what about the seniority…??? In the 80’s members left STAP for Windsor and returned and also received there seniority as well????....after a lot of trouble over this in the 80’s there were some bylaws put into place at STAP to prevent this and also mention of it in the collective agreement. Scott Smith seems to think he can overturn this with a small print clause that Whitey Mc Donald put into place in the 90’s when the Oakville (Kenny Mc Kay crowd) came back.

This brings us to the present…

CAW 1520 union reps campaigning for one candidate while there were 6 people on the ballot. This split the voters and 2/3 of the votes went candidates other than Scott Smith.

Scott Smith and Darin Tucker were 1st and 2nd in the popular votes. A run –off election is to happen this Monday sept.17. Scott Smith in co-operation with union benefit reps and union reps printed an unsigned memo stating that “Windsor employees coming to STAP would not keep there seniority”…Okay but what about Scott’s buddies from Oakville the original question on everyone’s minds????...and how can the union print up bogus unsigned document on Union letterhead to have union reps distribute on behalf of a campaign delegate?????

Something is very very wrong here!!!!

Even the last results are in question with over 8o% voter turn out..geesh..STAP doesn’t even get those numbers when it has a ratification meeting….something stinks and it stinks big!!!!!!

It is a sham that the union has interfered with a democratic process when the CAW touts democracy as its base.

There were several viable candidates that have suffered from the unions biased involvement in the election process.

The top three candidates from a poll of the works were:

#1- Kurt Smith 7yrs seniority extensive Union background before SATP

#2- Darin Tucker 7yrsunion rep. 22 yrs senority.extensive union experience.

#3- Brian Proudfoot. 26 yrs seniority alt union rep and several union courses.6yr alt rep.

Scott Smith has7 yrs at STAP and has never worked on the line given Production Standards job.On Blue Oval he was listed as being the winner of this election by a landslide..er uhm before STAP even went to the polls???....hmm might want to wait before you make an announcement or stuff the ballots a little better next time????

So this is the talk on the shop floor at Ford St. Thomas Assembly. It is disappointing and looks bad for all CAW members. The workers have lost a lot of confidence in its union leaders after seeing all the election antics going on. Why have an election ? How can we trust our leadership? Kurt Smith ; Darin Tucker and Brian Proudfoot could be trusted to uphold our CAW standards..alas we may never know if this continues on to the polls this Monday.

Darin Tucker is the best candidate left. Unless we want to be told who to vote for by our union…like they did in the 90’s with the NDP..maybe they could even suggest a religion we should all join???....

Vote for Darin Tucker and bring back the democracy!!!

Where were you last week. Sounds like a last ditch effort to thwart Scott. Scott will do fine, trust our Union, whoever gets in. Spouting in the last hour is a sign of a cowardness. You sound like a bitter man that hasn't gotten his way. You are doing Tucker more harm than good right now. Scott will appreciate that.

You have to laugh at what some candidates, or their spouse, will post when they realize they have no chance of getting elected. The crap posted as a twisted history of our local is evidence again of the type of slanderous campain run by Darren, run on your own credentials, not what you perceive as other candidate's weaknesses. Now you go so far as to accuse an election committee, elected by the membership, of "fixing" an election. "Union reps campaigning for a candidate", how absurd, of course they are campaigning for Scott, these people have worked closely with both of these candidates for several years, you do the math.

Peter Hertlein, Whitey MacDonald old buddies? That has got to be one of the funniest, but then again you probably figure water and oil mix as well.

If an individual is told not to run, and they don't, based on another person's say so, is not the type of plant chairperson I want to represent our local. This letter from the leadership informing the members of the scheduled arrival our laidoff brothers and sisters from Windsor has nothing to do with either candidate, and was distributed for the benefit of those members involved, but what the heck, it's possible to put a slant on everything. Union educationals are a method for those of us to learn, that are not in a position to gain experience first hand. Educationals do not override common sense and the ability to learn from real life experiences, as Scott has.

"The workers have lost a lot of confidence in its union leaders after seeing all the election antics going on" This must be why the voter turnout has been one of the best for some time, we know who is spouting "antics" and that is why we are turning out and voting for Scott Smith. This is one of the most important elections in our History, how we vote will determine the direction of local for somr time to come.

Where were you last week. Sounds like a last ditch effort to thwart Scott. Scott will do fine, trust our Union, whoever gets in. Spouting in the last hour is a sign of a cowardness. You sound like a bitter man that hasn't gotten his way. You are doing Tucker more harm than good right now. Scott will appreciate that.

You have to laugh at what some candidates, or their spouse, will post when they realize they have no chance of getting elected. The crap posted as a twisted history of our local is evidence again of the type of slanderous campain run by Darren, run on your own credentials, not what you perceive as other candidate's weaknesses. Now you go so far as to accuse an election committee, elected by the membership, of "fixing" an election. "Union reps campaigning for a candidate", how absurd, of course they are campaigning for Scott, these people have worked closely with both of these candidates for several years, you do the math.

Peter Hertlein, Whitey MacDonald old buddies? That has got to be one of the funniest, but then again you probably figure water and oil mix as well.

If an individual is told not to run, and they don't, based on another person's say so, is not the type of plant chairperson I want to represent our local. This letter from the leadership informing the members of the scheduled arrival our laidoff brothers and sisters from Windsor has nothing to do with either candidate, and was distributed for the benefit of those members involved, but what the heck, it's possible to put a slant on everything. Union educationals are a method for those of us to learn, that are not in a position to gain experience first hand. Educationals do not override common sense and the ability to learn from real life experiences, as Scott has.

"The workers have lost a lot of confidence in its union leaders after seeing all the election antics going on" This must be why the voter turnout has been one of the best for some time, we know who is spouting "antics" and that is why we are turning out and voting for Scott Smith. This is one of the most important elections in our History, how we vote will determine the direction of local for somr time to come.

Right on guys .That post is full of lies!

The workers at St. Thomas are too smart to believe any of the bullshit from a cheap shot artist.

Obviousl desperation at work from "inyourbestinterests"

Who's interests? sounds like someone is afraid of going to work with the rest of us.

WOW is all I can say.This is what we heard last week and you just have to look who the lies are coming from.Fuck this poster joined today to post this nonsense.Pretty well everything posted is incorrect,from the Oakville guys returning,to Peter having any kind of influence,to saying voter tampering.Darrin has really messed this up but not surprising.He had no problem taking the benefit job a short couple months ago from this terribly run union Whitey had.Whitey only supports Scott because he's a family friend?Yikes...the one thing I think most of us can agree on is Whitey's integrity.Whitey wouldn't do something if it wasn't for the best for STAP.I think alot of us guys that have been at STAP for 20-25 years know what Tucker's about and what his past looks like.I think people like the original poster are doing Scott the best favour they can.Any sane person that looks what is being said from Tucker's camp will see that these accusations are silly.I'd hope this was stupidity coming from them, if not it's total deception and lies.It'll be interesting to see Tucker after this election.He turned his back on the same people who just protected his ass after he lost the committee man job during the 1 shift.This same union he is trashing now he had no problem taking an appointed job in April.Back to the line or wherever Darrin...you are going to be spending your days in coveralls instead of that air conditioned benefit office.That just makes me laugh at how dumb a person could screw up his easy ride he had. :hysterical:

Edited by GuyfromSTAP

Well, Well its not hard to see where" inyourbestinterest" is coming from, you have both just committed political suicide.You should both be ashamed of yourselves, running such a slanderous campaign. :redcard: One sitting in an appointed position who had absolutely no experience what so ever,which was taken away from someone who had four years experience in benefits (you didn't complain then did you) and the other one who sit on the local 1520 executive board who is supposed to act in a professional manner well you have both just out done yourselves. If you think you have just help your campaign you better think again you have totally opened the eyes of these voters to what you are truley capable of. I am disgusted that people I have voted for would go this low, you have now just lost my vote for anything. :finger: This is a time when we should all show our strength in this leadership as we are facing a very difficult time instead we have ignorant, selfish ,pompous asses running their mouths off and for what more votes well like I said before you will lose for sure now!!!! Scott will blow you out of the water and you will be back on the floor with no chance ever to regain your position with this Union .What you have done here will take along time to recover, if ever, maybe you should have thought this out more clearly before shooting your mouth off. As for Whitey MacDonald this man has been amazing throughout my entire time at Ford I saw him give his all even when his beautiful wife was sick Whitey always remained true to us running back and forth from his wife to the plant never getting sleep somedays. So I say Good Luck Whitey I am going to miss you but you deserve this appointment and more, if I could only give back have of what you have given this Local Cheers To You!!! Scott Smith you are going to be our man and I will be proud to vote for you and give you my total support as I did Whitey.I hope once this election is over we can all get back to focusing on keeping our plant alive and protecting our rights.We all have a fight to win here together in Solidarity!!!

Well, Well its not hard to see where" inyourbestinterest" is coming from, you have both just committed political suicide.You should both be ashamed of yourselves, running such a slanderous campaign. :redcard: One sitting in an appointed position who had absolutely no experience what so ever,which was taken away from someone who had four years experience in benefits (you didn't complain then did you) and the other one who sit on the local 1520 executive board who is supposed to act in a professional manner well you have both just out done yourselves. If you think you have just help your campaign you better think again you have totally opened the eyes of these voters to what you are truley capable of. I am disgusted that people I have voted for would go this low, you have now just lost my vote for anything. :finger: This is a time when we should all show our strength in this leadership as we are facing a very difficult time instead we have ignorant, selfish ,pompous asses running their mouths off and for what more votes well like I said before you will lose for sure now!!!! Scott will blow you out of the water and you will be back on the floor with no chance ever to regain your position with this Union .What you have done here will take along time to recover, if ever, maybe you should have thought this out more clearly before shooting your mouth off. As for Whitey MacDonald this man has been amazing throughout my entire time at Ford I saw him give his all even when his beautiful wife was sick Whitey always remained true to us running back and forth from his wife to the plant never getting sleep somedays. So I say Good Luck Whitey I am going to miss you but you deserve this appointment and more, if I could only give back have of what you have given this Local Cheers To You!!! Scott Smith you are going to be our man and I will be proud to vote for you and give you my total support as I did Whitey.I hope once this election is over we can all get back to focusing on keeping our plant alive and protecting our rights.We all have a fight to win here together in Solidarity!!!

I gotta say this last minute election couldn't have come at a worst time. It's another thing that is causing division among the WORKERS of the plant. Just when A and B shift are starting to join together as one team and the "us" against "them" thing is dying off we have to start some of it off again.

But someone will get in and hopefully they do the best for the workers. The only good thing is to me that whoever gets in has 2 years to prove themselves if not they're out! I garuntee if workers from other plants that come to STAP keep their seniority for job bidding I'd hate to be the cahirman or guys up front because there would by alot of lynchings going on.

I will say this for Scott Smith I asked him and so have others about the seniorty issue with workers from other plants comming to STAP. He told me "The only thing they keep with their seniorty is vacation hours and pension. Nothing in regards to job bidding they're below us". Just like any other time workers are moved to another plant. Again I say any bullshit that comes from the new chairman and lies he's gone next election!

Who to vote for? Hard choice...has it been fair for the other guys running hell no! With all the gossip and slanderous comments made about these guys politics could learn a few things. Funny how how new members are signing up now in this forum defending their guy and spouting trash true or not.

To the guys that run and don't get in, don't give up you got 2 yrs to plan again get out there and get involved and I thank you for running even though you knew the odds would be against you. The odds may be in your favor next time! As for Monday may the best man win...I hope :play:

OK so the question is will ppl that returned to STAP after moving to Oakville be given there original seniority # back? That question was posed to Scott after it was determined there would be a run-off. His answer was he would have to look at the documents that the ppl signed at the time of their transfer. Now this has been going around the plant for about 2 to 3 weeks and that is the answer he has? WHY your running for the most powerful position in our leadership and you wouldn't give a direct answer. I didn't vote for either tucker or smith in the first round. I don't really know either of them. I was never impressed with the way Whitey dictated, yes I said dictated to the leadership. In a place like this I understand the need for strong and confident leader but in his leadership he didn't like descending views and would often shout ppl down when he didn't liked what they said even when what was being said was 100% correct. Just like Scott tried to do to a female co-worker who's only question was "How much seniority do you have?" He got quite animated, began raise his voice and attempted to belittle the person.

This should in NO way be considered an endorsement of Tucker because I have never spoken to him or seen him on the floor campaigning. I don't know where he stands on any of the issues facing our plant? Which doesn't impress me a whole lot.

In my opinion the best candidate is already out!

WOW is all I can say.This is what we heard last week and you just have to look who the lies are coming from.Fuck this poster joined today to post this nonsense.Pretty well everything posted is incorrect,from the Oakville guys returning,to Peter having any kind of influence,to saying voter tampering.Darrin has really messed this up but not surprising.He had no problem taking the benefit job a short couple months ago from this terribly run union Whitey had.Whitey only supports Scott because he's a family friend?Yikes...the one thing I think most of us can agree on is Whitey's integrity.Whitey wouldn't do something if it wasn't for the best for STAP.I think alot of us guys that have been at STAP for 20-25 years know what Tucker's about and what his past looks like.I think people like the original poster are doing Scott the best favour they can.Any sane person that looks what is being said from Tucker's camp will see that these accusations are silly.I'd hope this was stupidity coming from them, if not it's total deception and lies.It'll be interesting to see Tucker after this election.He turned his back on the same people who just protected his ass after he lost the committee man job during the 1 shift.This same union he is trashing now he had no problem taking an appointed job in April.Back to the line or wherever Darrin...you are going to be spending your days in coveralls instead of that air conditioned benefit office.That just makes me laugh at how dumb a person could screw up his easy ride he had. :hysterical:

I had Darrin as a rep .. I thought he did a pretty good job , but just a question,

Does Scott Smith go back to the line if he isn't voted in?

Edited by fastime

I had Darrin as a rep .. I thought he did a pretty good job , but just a question,

Does Scott Smith go back to the line if he isn't voted in?

Yes, at todays meeting everyone who had ran in the election or applied for an

appointed job had their resignations accepted. If you held an appointed job like

Smith or Tucker you lost it, likewise any elected rep or alternate had to resign

from that position to run or apply for another position. Yes Scott has eneough

seniority to work on line. At the present time we have no one on layoff.

Edited by XSTAP

Quite frankly, I also see election tampering as having happened. A candidate blatantly advertised that he (Scott) is unanimously endorsed by "our leadership". It is not the leaderships' right to unanimously endorse one specific candidate. How can that statement of endorsement not be construed as tampering? Might the elected leadership see the membership as "sheeple" needing help in our decision making?

I am seriously disappointed because of our lost chance for change. The days of cronyism, appointed positions, lack of communication and election seeding needed to end. Wait, that last sentence can be used to describe a dictatorship not a true democratic process. Who to vote for? Neither candidate is beyond reproach.

Reading some of these posts is an embarrassing show of the lack of critical thought and intelligent decision making. Some are merely supporting a "buddy" while others are hearing rumours as fact. We are heading into a provincial election and soon a federal election. Maybe stop and think before speaking about how crooked, incestuous, and secretive our MPP and MP's have become and look at what we see as an acceptable status quo at work.

Tampering? bullshit what a crock, it is normal in politics or a union to reccomend a replacement when someone leaves or retires from a position.

I don't see anything wrong with our executive telling us who they support and they feel is best suited to do the job at hand.

Doesnt mean we have to listen to them or vote that way but its just an endorsement based on qualifications the union feels the candidate has met.

Tampering? bullshit what a crock, it is normal in politics or a union to reccomend a replacement when someone leaves or retires from a position.

I don't see anything wrong with our executive telling us who they support and they feel is best suited to do the job at hand.

Doesnt mean we have to listen to them or vote that way but its just an endorsement based on qualifications the union feels the candidate has met.

I guess you're right it doesn't mean we have to listen to the directing oops sorry recommendation. Just one more word sheeple... baaaaa...

P.S. youngbuck when do you get your appointed position again? :ohsnap:

I guess you're right it doesn't mean we have to listen to the directing oops sorry recommendation. Just one more word sheeple... baaaaa...

P.S. youngbuck when do you get your appointed position again? :ohsnap:

Not even close Nostradamus!

I am just happy to show up every day,do my job,cash my pay cheque every week and pay my union dues every month

Edited by young buck 1520