Toyota Recall on Floor Mats

FordBuyer

I had an 83 Mustang when I was 16 that had the same problem. The floor mat would wedge between the gas pedal and the floor and keep it down. After a couple of scary rides, I took the floor mat out. I can't believe Toyota would have let something like this happen, especially on so many models. In their quest for world domination, they seem to be turning into Ford & GM of the 80's.

Toyota is recalling all floor mats on the 2007 Camry and ES 350 and is considering recall on Prius and Avalon. How odd is that? Floor mat design cannot be that hard. Wonder if Ford has patent on the floor hook they use to keep mat from being pushed into accelarator pedal.

Well, I dont know of any other companies that use the floor hook, so maybe Ford does have a patent on it. Good idea.

I know BMW's mats are a foam type thing on the bottom with little fabric 'feet' to keep them down, they dont work that well.

I've seen the floormat hooks on various vehicles, I believe my friends VW has them as well, I've seen it in some Nissans, some BMWs, etc.

I've noticed in some Toyota models, particularly the cheaper Corolla...they hardly have much of a carpeting material, it's like felt...then they give you the floormats, which the rubber spikey feet them have really have nothing to dig themselves into since the carpet is just felt, so they end up running loose all around. I've seen subpar carpet quality in Highlanders as well, and Prius'. If the Focus even offered anything remotely to that, we would never hear the end of it...

Reading the articles regarding this recall is that the optional all-weather floor mats are being laid on top of the stock floor mats. There is a hook, but the hook can only hold one floor mat.

At the time, Toyota told safety officials it had identified an optional all-weather floor mat that if not properly secured by clips to the floor could stick under the accelerator pedal; in some cases, Toyota said owners had simply put the rubber mat over the standard floor mats.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ESS01/709270427

So, the recall will involve the following steps:

1) Pick up all-weather floor mat

2) Remove stock floor mat from underneath

3) Hook all-weather floor mat to hook.

Could you imagine waiting in the service aisle for this? :doh:

Edited by Intrepidatious

Reading the articles regarding this recall is that the optional all-weather floor mats are being laid on top of the stock floor mats. There is a hook, but the hook can only hold one floor mat.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ESS01/709270427

So, the recall will involve the following steps:

1) Pick up all-weather floor mat

2) Remove stock floor mat from underneath

3) Hook all-weather floor mat to hook.

Could you imagine waiting in the service aisle for this? :doh:

You don't expect Toyota owners to do this for themselves, do you? They've already demonstrated their genius by putting a floor mat on top of another floor mat. :hysterical:

I've always placed a black towel over the floormat, nicely folded whenever I know I'm visiting a work-site where it's muddy, and even then I've NEVER had an issue with the towel is sliding under the pedals and causing any issue remotely to what these people are experiencing.