??????????? greed?

Deanh

FYI......put a bid in THREE weeks ago for a local municipality on an Escape hybrid. Received the approval today, went to place the order and just about fell off my chair. There is an MSRP change of $1000 dollars, whta the? I checked and re-checked thinking I had made an error, nope! Ford has taken it upon themselves to jack up the retail exactly 1000 bux...that is a HUGE jump. ESPECIALLY in a three week span? Would love to have someone try to give a good reason for this, small jumps happen thru the year, but 1K is a little hard to fathom.....retail before options went from 25265 to 26265, invoice from 23754 to 24674...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Ford is just trying to keep a bigger piece of the pie that a lot of dealers are keeping for themselves right now. Probably won't make much difference to most consumers. How many Escape hybrids have had market adjustments that you know of? Lots.

Makes me wonder where pricing for the Fusion hybrid is going to fall though....

So Ford is just trying to keep a bigger piece of the pie that a lot of dealers are keeping for themselves right now. Probably won't make much difference to most consumers. How many Escape hybrids have had market adjustments that you know of? Lots.

Makes me wonder where pricing for the Fusion hybrid is going to fall though....

NEVER this big Nick...NEVER....and as a dealer we are at window basically give or take, pretty easy to justify as there is only approx 17-1900 in total markup in a vehicle people are clamouring over...NO addendums although some dealers are.....

Yea, you don't really make dick selling a Hybrid at sticker, I'd rather sell a used 02 Taurus wagon. Gotta love how Ford keeps production to an ultra-low 3% when demand is now as high as it has ever been. Prius has sold enough units now that the tax credits no longer exist for them. I think Ford is trying to keep the number down to prolong the tax-credit advantage on paper and in the media as long as they can. It makes no sense to limit production of hot products. Only Ford would do that.

And yes, the margins have slightly declined for the dealer to make from sticker to invoice over the past few years. This is what Japanese makers do, they figure a fat margin in for the main office in Japan, and have a very small markup from invoice to sticker. Dealers make virtually nothing selling them as they give them away online. (mainstream)Import dealers make most of the money by cleaning house in fianance. Salespeople rarely make big money selling them. They have very high turnover and the attitude is that the cars sell themselves so who gives a shit if you just load the floor with 40 people who make $50 a pop. Put half a dozen killer finance people in who stick people in corollas at 'super prices' for 84-month loans with full warranties, the salespeople just filter them to the desks. Generally, each dealer takes good care of 3-5 'horses' on the sales floor with a better pay plan that the rest of the lemmings see to think they can make money there, and the management and finance clean house in 'the back'.

Edited by kevinb120

well .. yeah it is greed - but Ford has a waiting list on the Escape Hybrids .. they cannot sell any more - what they CAN do is hike up the price and profits per unit on all those they will be able to sell - this will deter some people from buying, but with a waiting list - that is not a problem - that is a key result - with higher price, the demand goes down - Ford might be able to hike the price up by as much as 3-4k until enough people drop off so it is simply selling out.

Why do you think Camry is so expensive? It is not the actual cost of the car - it is the price at which they have just the right amount of demand.

PS: production schedule of the Hybrid is determined by the battery supply - Ford and Toyota share a supplier, and Toyota now owns it - with the boom in the Prius sales, Toyota had this supplier violate its contracts and cut off all other demnd until their own demand is met - Ford has a shortage of these batteries now.

Igor

Edited by igor

Dean

Arent you always the first to proclaim that a car costs what the public is willing to pay, regardless of the sticker?

Seems Ford is putting on their own "Dealer Markup"

re-read Falc, i understand what you are saying...BUT.......small jumps are the norm over a period of time....sorry but HUGE jumps all at once seem kinda "unusual" to say the least.....how would you feel as a customer when quoted two substantially different prices within a small time frame...my thiughts would be you would be labelling the DEALER as "crooks".....

Edited by Deanh

PS: production schedule of the Hybrid is determined by the battery supply - Ford and Toyota share a supplier, and Toyota now owns it - with the boom in the Prius sales, Toyota had this supplier violate its contracts and cut off all other demnd until their own demand is met - Ford has a shortage of these batteries now.

Igor

Its always better to roll 10 then to have 4 theoretically waiting on 2. We actually have 5 or 6 right now and just sell them at sticker or a few hundred off and let em eat. Another master plan for Ford, trap themselves in a battery contract. yay. Most people here will not wait on an escape, when we run out, they go over across the street to the dealer that stocks over 25 prius' at any given time. In the case of the Escape, I would agree to some extent that it's about as expensive at list right now then people are going to pay for one. No one is going to buy a loaded one marked up $5k to 40.

Edited by kevinb120

Its always better to roll 10 then to have 4 theoretically waiting on 2. We actually have 5 or 6 right now and just sell them at sticker or a few hundred off and let em eat. Another master plan for Ford, trap themselves in a battery contract. yay. Most people here will not wait on an escape, when we run out, they go over across the street to the dealer that stocks over 25 prius' at any given time. In the case of the Escape, I would agree to some extent that it's about as expensive at list right now then people are going to pay for one. No one is going to buy a loaded one marked up $5k to 40.

Yeah, and how would you suggest they do it without a contract, buy AAs off the shelf.....

Yeah, and how would you suggest they do it without a contract, buy AAs off the shelf.....

I'm really wondering if the substantial hike may have been caused by toyata having a monopoly on the batteries and raising THEIR prices........conspiracy theorists here we go!

I'm really wondering if the substantial hike may have been caused by toyata having a monopoly on the batteries and raising THEIR prices........conspiracy theorists here we go!

well you know how I hate conspiracies, but that actually doesn't sound like one and could be plausible....

well short supply or supplier increases, thats my two guesses....

there goes the reasoning behind the word GREEEEEED in the post title......short supply usually just means a lack of subveened financing or rebates.....NOT ballooning MSRP....

Edited by Deanh

there goes the reasoning behind the word GREEEEEED in the post title......short supply usually just means a lack of subveened financing or rebates.....NOT ballooning MSRP....

hey, my excuse is, Ford needs to take it where it can get it, you can't really call it greed when you know you are most lost money in the quarter just ended

I probably would of found an alternative to a company owned by Toyota, who let you out without your helmet on?

No, we have computers in the centre now, but thank you for asking. It's really easy to sit back and say what Ford should have done, too bad we don't know what that would entail. If you'll excuse me, I have to go now, my computer time is up.

And by the way, the listed retail MSRP base price is still $25265, are you sure this thread isn't based on a typo?

retry...price code is now 825, msrp base price code 820 WAS $25265...MSRP base price is NOW $26265.........and heres some more tid-bits...Ford had just RAMPED UP production on hybrids....hmmmmmmmmm, Mr Bond, what is YOUR take???????

retry...price code is now 825, msrp base price code 820 WAS $25265...MSRP base price is NOW $26265.........and heres some more tid-bits...Ford had just RAMPED UP production on hybrids....hmmmmmmmmm, Mr Bond, what is YOUR take???????

I would say that Ford is ummm...well....being greedy lol, but if it helps make money, then thats ok with me.

I would say that Ford is ummm...well....being greedy lol, but if it helps make money, then thats ok with me.

I just question the LARGE amount all at once.....usually they are gradual.....I had to bring out the paddles on this shocker

Edited by Deanh