2009 F150

ray101988

They have cut engineering by 33% over the past few years and now they are paying for it.

Future Powertrain control system are likely to be outsourced completely.

Well that would explain many of the unbelievable delays, I don;t know if outsourcing stuff like that is a good idea.. :do what:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't a new Lightning be more wise??

well this s/c truck should post some pretty good 0-60 #s and since it is an off-road edition it will haves some good tires that will be able to hold more weight as well as tow more, so i don't see why this wouldn't be one of the most fun pickup trucks out there, lets see, you can drag race those little ricer burners then say well i have to go mudding in my 3 ton pickup truck, see you guys later

a Lightning would definitely be a faster option(in terms of speed), but it is limited truck wise with its low profile tires and sport tuned suspension(yet the last lightning was still pretty good at being a work truck)

i would take both, but i love off-roading so i would have to take a "Raptor" over a lightning cause of that fun factor, but i would not buy a Raptor for pure drag racing, that would go to the Lightning

Edited by Ford-150

Wizard, i didn't hear any mention of the 3.7, but obviously there will be a base V6 engine. However, we at DTP don't do any base trucks with V6 engines, that would be Kansas City.

As far as the Raptor, I don't know if that will be the actual name of the truck or codeword like the 03-04 Cobra's codename was Terminator. I know it will have a supercharged 6.2L engine. Not sure on horsepower. It will be 7 inches wider than the standard truck and have the big fat tires like the baha trucks. I was told the price range would be in the 60-70 thousand dollar range. I asked why they were doing that and not a lightning and they said this would be a high end performance truck much like the Ford GT.

I wish they were doing the lightning that was more affordable, but what can you do.

well this s/c truck should post some pretty good 0-60 #s and since it is an off-road edition it will haves some good tires that will be able to hold more weight as well as tow more, so i don't see why this wouldn't be one of the most fun pickup trucks out there, lets see, you can drag race those little ricer burners then say well i have to go mudding in my 3 ton pickup truck, see you guys later

a Lightning would definitely be a faster option(in terms of speed), but it is limited truck wise with its low profile tires and sport tuned suspension(yet the last lightning was still pretty good at being a work truck)

i would take both, but i love off-roading so i would have to take a "Raptor" over a lightning cause of that fun factor, but i would not buy a Raptor for pure drag racing, that would go to the Lightning

don't get me wrong, if they do it right I think it could be an awesome vehicle, it's just I think a new Lightning would be much better at this time, lots of people that bought the 1st and second gen L's are waiting for a new one.

And you know what, it would be easy as pie to sell two different versions of the truck, one with off road suspension and tires, called the Raptor, and the Lightning version with lowered suspension, big wheels, performance tires, etc. with minimal changes they could have both trucks available.

I just hope this a regular cab truck as the size and weight of the super and crew cabs would take out the "fun" factor..

They have cut engineering by 33% over the past few years and now they are paying for it.

Future Powertrain control system are likely to be outsourced completely.

Well that would explain many of the unbelievable delays, I don;t know if outsourcing stuff like that is a good idea.. :do what:

There is a big meeting Monday in Dunton to meet some new management (I assume they are moving to the US) and do some strategy talk and then on to Germany to talk with their new "full service supplier".

• 2 weeks later...

This Raptor truck seems to have come out of nowhere, but it sounds great; with as big and heavy as these vehicles are there's really no reason to make one a dragster - a sporttrack or ranger would be far more viable. But an offroad F150 could remind people of what the 150 really is and make a hell of a statement. I still vote for both but in this day and age the lightning is a money losing proposal sadly.

Livernois Motorsport is also doing development work for Ford now, That being said. I spoke and met a gentleman who works at Livernois and he is doing testing/engineering on various Ford trucks (F150 and F250) and mentioned this Raptor to me. It is going to be a very low production run. IIRC its a supercab and will have extra lights on it as well.