was the 2 day strike a fraud?

Harry Bennet

Holy Moly.... Pioneer and I agree on something!

Nuthin' but street cred for the 'finger.

Didn't gain any, they media is making him out to be a clown. Their also calling the GM plant who voted down the proposal symbolic! I hope the rest of them follow suit and Ron's bluff by sending him back to the table, because their tentative agreement is bullsh-t and favors the company only!

What did GM lose over a 2 day strike?

was this strike just for show-and-tell?

I was talking to my uncle who was a company man in the steel mills in the late 70's and 80's and he pretty much said it was just show and tell. He was referring to what happened to them but it was similar.

Edited by fmccap

Answer your own question-------->who gained by the workers walking out in monetary gains? Why GM of course.

And one more thing--------->Is the media biased against union autoworkers? It appears so, and here is why I believe it to be true-------------------->When the UAW walked out, every news media outlet I heard and read INSISTED that GM would not be affected for 4 weeks time as their inventory on virtually all models had that big a lead time.

When the strike was over, the same people proclaimed on every one of the same outlets that if the strike would've lasted more than 10 days, GM would've begun bleeding huge dollars as sales began to disapate.

CONCLUSION------->you go on strike and people who report tell you that you must stay out 4 weeks before you actually have an effect on negotiations in dollars. Kinda bursts your bubble when you think because of the economic climate, it should almost be immediate.

Then when you return, they actually report the TRUTH!!!!! After 5 or 6 days, GM woulda started getting nervous. That is a huge difference in lost wages to make a point, is it not!

Did Gettlefinger know the truth??? And if he didn't, should he have as international president? And if he did know the truth, shouldn't he have told his GM constituents?

It is bad enough when GM or Ford lead you around by the nose, but when your union does it with no consideration for you, is that arrogance or ignorance? I mean, this is not national security we are talking about here. Come ON!!!!!!

Edited by Imawhosure

Didn't gain any, they media is making him out to be a clown. Their also calling the GM plant who voted down the proposal symbolic! I hope the rest of them follow suit and Ron's bluff by sending him back to the table, because their tentative agreement is bullsh-t and favors the company only!

HMMMMMM Looks like I was right mr. knowitall, they just wanted to reduce inventory. They don't give a shit about the line worker they are all rich and no matter what happens their lives aren't going to change. This is going to pass no one cares they just want there paychecks to not stop coming. :banghead::censored:

I don't want to believe it was just a show,but it sure appears that way!!!! Very disappointing Mr. Gettlefinger.

IF you own a multi-billion dollar company and somebody in a plad shirt tries to negotiate with you without the threat of real unionism what would be your approach? :hysterical::hysterical: :bowdown: :banmolest: :whipped: :missing:

IF you own a multi-billion dollar company and somebody in a plad shirt tries to negotiate with you without the threat of real unionism what would be your approach? :hysterical::hysterical: :bowdown: :banmolest: :whipped: :missing:

I may be wrong but a stronger show of force such as a little longer strike or even maybe take ALL 3 on strike and bring Detroit on its knees and grab the attention of the USA at the same time and then maybe these forign car buying Americans may get some real info on the news and not the skewed view that most of America gets. Maybe just maybe America will see that letting jobs go to Mexico is actually bad for all of America. This strike was not just about GM, but just also about American jobs in general.(in the big picture).

But thats just my opinion and what do I know.

Anybody who is smart enough to know that Mr. Gettlefinger has a degree in "business management" So if you want a clear explanation. There's your answer right there... Gettlefinger=COMPANY MAN.

I hope you all are calling the UAW headquarters and telling them your feelings about the contract!! Believe it or not if you call someone will listen they may not care but at lease you can all call and state your dislike!! Has all the GM plants voted yes? Then after you call UAW you need to call your local papers and tell them how you feel it only takes a second.

Fraud? NO.

Here's why. GM hasnt had a national strike in over 40 years. GM was calling the UAW's bluff. Also, if you folks have already forgotten, the parts suppliers and our Canadian CAW brethren were getting layoffs only after 2 days of a strike, so that tells me their wonderful "Just In Time" parts network is working. Yes, GM saved some $$$ because of the non-payment of wages for those 2 days, but they didnt really clear that much inventory, since the truck drivers wouldnt cross the picket line to take cars to the dealerships. We didnt hear any dealerships complaining about inventory shortages after 2 days did we? If it were a week, then maybe the dealerships would have chimed in.

But if the strike would have lasted for more than 2 weeks, then GM would really be feeling the impact. Yes, GM felt pressure from Delphi and other suppliers to get a deal done because GM cant get parts from other sources. They have sourcing agreements with suppliers to accepts so many parts within a time frame (just a Ford does) for a certain price. I dont want to hear that GM can get parts from china to suppliment the shortage, they cant. Tarrifs, quality and patent issues there or they would already do it. And I dont want to hear how Delphi doesnt have an impact on GM because they do also.

GM as a company wouldnt have survived Wall Streets wrath if the strike would have lasted 2 weeks or better. GM isnt in the same toilet Ford is, but they are getting pissed on also. GM's stock price didnt budge the 2 days on strike, but a week or so later, we would have seen the plundge! GM knew this, thats why they kept bargaining.

Fraud? No! Strategy? Yes. I believe Gettlefinger's real intentions were to let Chrysler know that the UAW wasnt afraid to strike. The UAW has been somewhat defiant with Chrysler the past 2 years, so Chrysler will be defiant at the bargaining table.

Fraud? NO.

Here's why. GM hasnt had a national strike in over 40 years. GM was calling the UAW's bluff. Also, if you folks have already forgotten, the parts suppliers and our Canadian CAW brethren were getting layoffs only after 2 days of a strike, so that tells me their wonderful "Just In Time" parts network is working. Yes, GM saved some $$$ because of the non-payment of wages for those 2 days, but they didnt really clear that much inventory, since the truck drivers wouldnt cross the picket line to take cars to the dealerships. We didnt hear any dealerships complaining about inventory shortages after 2 days did we? If it were a week, then maybe the dealerships would have chimed in.

But if the strike would have lasted for more than 2 weeks, then GM would really be feeling the impact. Yes, GM felt pressure from Delphi and other suppliers to get a deal done because GM cant get parts from other sources. They have sourcing agreements with suppliers to accepts so many parts within a time frame (just a Ford does) for a certain price. I dont want to hear that GM can get parts from china to suppliment the shortage, they cant. Tarrifs, quality and patent issues there or they would already do it. And I dont want to hear how Delphi doesnt have an impact on GM because they do also.

GM as a company wouldnt have survived Wall Streets wrath if the strike would have lasted 2 weeks or better. GM isnt in the same toilet Ford is, but they are getting pissed on also. GM's stock price didnt budge the 2 days on strike, but a week or so later, we would have seen the plundge! GM knew this, thats why they kept bargaining.

Fraud? No! Strategy? Yes. I believe Gettlefinger's real intentions were to let Chrysler know that the UAW wasnt afraid to strike. The UAW has been somewhat defiant with Chrysler the past 2 years, so Chrysler will be defiant at the bargaining table.

Hope Gettlefinger shows how tough he is when he battles "Cerebus" and you people should know what the true definition of that is? And if you don't... I suggest you look it up.

Then comes Ford...

HMMMMMM Looks like I was right mr. knowitall, they just wanted to reduce inventory. They don't give a shit about the line worker they are all rich and no matter what happens their lives aren't going to change. This is going to pass no one cares they just want there paychecks to not stop coming. :banghead::censored:

I hate to say it looks like you were right, you do however have to remember the time frame in which we were discussing this! GM was still on strike and at that point I still had hope that Gettlefinger was working for us! Sorry if I insulted you, this forum was loaded with strangers wilding new accounts (probably investors) that I had been attacking all day because of their anti-union rants!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I hate to say it looks like you were right, you do however have to remember the time frame in which we were discussing this! GM was still on strike and at that point I still had hope that Gettlefinger was working for us! Sorry if I insulted you, this forum was loaded with strangers wilding new accounts (probably investors) that I had been attacking all day because of their anti-union rants!

Well thank you for that sir, Just hope this all works out. :missing:

What did GM lose over a 2 day strike?

was this strike just for show-and-tell?

UAW strike is a smoke screen! If you go back to the media tape on Mr. Gettlefinger after they settled the contract, he looked like he got taken to the cleaners by GM. He looked like a beaten dog. You can see it in his eye's.

Get ahold of a GM Contract and read it, UAW members lost! Its in BLACK AND WHITE!

Mark my words when I say Chrysler and Ford will only be harder to deal with. The UAW only went on this short strike to give the preception that the union still has a leg to stand on. Trust me when I say they don't. The big 3 could take all this away in the blink of an eye. We all know this is true. They could build cars and trucks in some third world country and have them shipped over here and still be ALOT more profitable then they are in the United States. They would pay these people a couple dollars a week with no health care cost. Seriously people, GM told the union what was going to happen contract wise, the union excepted and walked out the door with tails between their legs. This is not the same industrial environment that was here 50 years ago. I know you hate to here the buzz words, "global market" but it is here and it is here to stay. These company's have to compete with others that manufacture their goods over sea's. Their is no way we can compete with them. When you figure all the costs to manufacture products in the United States vs over sea's, the numbers just don't add up as a positive for United States Manufacturing. Even if you got a break on the Free trade issue, your still on a losing end.

I wish I was wrong! Just look at the evidence thats out their. You can go and use any source you feel comfortable with, its all going to wash out the same way.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong! Now what do we do about Ron?

That's a good question, Furious. With the way the election process for the union is at present, it would need to be changed. In doing that, there would have to be more member involvement, etc, etc. But in doing that, the hierarchy would have to come face to face with that dreaded word---REFORM. And that bothers them a lot more than you might think, in my opinion.

That's a good question, Furious. With the way the election process for the union is at present, it would need to be changed. In doing that, there would have to be more member involvement, etc, etc. But in doing that, the hierarchy would have to come face to face with that dreaded word---REFORM. And that bothers them a lot more than you might think, in my opinion.

The only way to gain control of the international is at the local level, We first have to gain control of our own local by making a change to to our bi-laws requiring our delegates to read from a script. This script would have to be devised at the local level and would have to be voted on by the local membership. For instance once they have to read what we want, we can put in motion to force regular elections onto international board members. If they can only convey our message and the message of other locals than they will have to recognize our wishes! Then we can move to the many issues surrounding our union structure! First we have to take control of our delegates! If we don't than we can continue down this path to extinction!

So my opinion is the 6 hour strike was just as much a fraud as GM's.

One report on WDIV news today stated the only reason there was a strike and not the tentative deal that Ron had reached by 11am was disagreements with Ron and some of the other negotiators.

No official comment yet as to this but if true but if it is I truely hope now that Ford is on the clock more negotiators will be willing to disagree with historical give aways to the companies ,but am pretty sure Ron is comfortable with the deals that have been reached so far and will simply do the same for us.

Granted I am ASSuming Cryslers tentative contract is similar to GM's.