protect your Canadian dealers!

Financeman68

I think you might be misreading the OP's intent or being overly defensive of Ford. The OP works at a Ford dealer. He can't speak for GM or Toyota dealers, he can only speak for Ford dealers. His concern is with the company that he deals through; let the Toyo or GM or Hondas dealers fight their own battles -- I read nothing in his post to seem like he is demonizing Ford at all. Seems like he is imploring Ford to be a leader not a follower.

If Toyota announced tomorrow that it was dropping their Canadian prices to bring them in line with US prices, the media would be doing a circle-jerk praising them; again the consumer would find another excuse for not buying from us and again we look like the horse's ass. Do we always have to be second (or third or fourth) in everything?

I agree.

Ford should be a leader. Maybe, just maybe, there might finally be some good press.

I put my old Canadian postal code in to show the comparo OAC is talking about.

From the Brick price list CADWeb Price* $4999.97 (converted to USD$5,146.69 ) tax is 14% which is CAD$700.00

From USA Sears USD$2599.88 (converted to CAD$ 2,526.17 + tax 14% CAD$354.00

Difference of USD$2,546.81 before tax, savings after tax paid is CAD$2,819.80 or USD$2,902.93

OAC could have bought 2 freakin TV's for the price of 1.

There are consumers I know of that drive from Northern Ontario such as Sudbury etc to save a few thousands on high priced items.

The higher the price such as an automobile the higher the savings. I know Subaru Canada is losing many sales to the USA, with the savings so high the consumer is banking the difference, which is more then enough to cover any work that might be covered under the manufacturers warranty. If a consumers saves $7,000-10,000.00 on a new car purchase, this is quite enough funds to cover any work needed over a period of 4 years, unless of course one is unlucky and buys a lemon.

and that same pricing pisses me off on low cost items too. Items that have a price point too small to make it worth the drive to Lewiston.

My CSI rating is 97%

NOW....

Can we stick to the original topic here?

Nobody is adding things to this thread talking about tv's and other things.

I don't care what other people are doing, I care what FORD is doing to protect the people that sell the cars.

Keep it that way or please get out of my post.

So now can we talk about the people that are leaving Canada to buy Ford USA vehicles resulting in Canadian dealers being shoved to the brink of failing?

Edited by Financeman68

My CSI rating is 97%

NOW....

Can we stick to the original topic here?

Nobody is adding things to this thread talking about tv's and other things.

I don't care what other people are doing, I care what FORD is doing to protect the people that sell the cars.

Keep it that way or please get out of my post.

So now can we talk about the people that are leaving Canada to buy Ford USA vehicles resulting in Canadian dealers being shoved to the brink of failing?

TV salesmen and other hard good dealers are facing the same challenges you are.

I'm on your side, people have a hard time objectively comparing the price disparity between the US and Canada. The TV example clearly illustrates this.

I would have thought that you could see the parallel.

$2B lawsuit accuses car makers of keeping Canadian prices high

Canadian car buyers have been the victims of an illegal plot by automakers to inflate the prices of cars in Canada and discourage cross-border car buying, according to a $2-billion class-action lawsuit.

The suit, filed by the Toronto law firm of Juroviesky and Ricci LLP, accuses the automakers of conspiring "to lessen competition and to unreasonably enhance the price of new cars sold in Canada," according to the statement of claim

The suit gives a number of examples of recent large price differences in the same vehicles when the Canadian dollar was trading above 98 cents US:

A Chrysler Grand Cherokee Laredo that was advertised for $29,215 in the U.S. and $36,215 in Canada

A Honda Odyssey Minivan that was advertised for $25,645 in the U.S. and $33,333 in Canada

A Range Rover Sport that was advertised for $58,500 in the U.S. and $78,300 in Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/09/26/classaction.html

on a positive note,

I was in Chapters last night.

They have been dropping the prices on books to compensate for the currency change.

Hopefully this is the start of a lot of price drops across the board.

I hope so. I know it cannot happen immediately as much of the inventory was brought into the country months ago, but it should happen.

On the news last night there was a segemnt about a couple from Newfoundland who went to the new england states and tried to buy a car. They went to 80+ dealerships and no american dealer would sell them a car. Now they have a lawsuit started and are encouraging anybody else who couldn't buy a car to get in touch with them. The news didn't mention what type of cars etc.

So what is the problem again?

Oh, this was "live at 5" on CTV.

It must be difficult living within that 1 hour to the boarder... but keep in mind that you must pay cash ofr an american vehicle... they can not finance... and 0% on 35000 is a lot of savings. Now, that doesn't help when it comes to the price difference, but it may help you sell a vehicel here. Also, you may want to stay tuned to the ford bulletins, as I understand there are changes coming... sooner than later I hope, but none the less... the issue is not related to geography, but it is happening on a nation wide scale.

Also, if you recall when the situation was reversed, the canadian dealers were being penalized for selling to an american, or even selling a vehicle that ended up in the US. I undestand the US dealers are under the same penalty. Again, it's not heloing, but it is a start.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I'm not saying its right. Im saying that everyone is doing it. So I don't see how Ford is being so evil that they need to be centered out.

Are they wrong for doing it? Yes. 110%!

But let's not center out one company. Ford has been centered out one too many times and has been a sacrificial goat for an iducstry that is equally guilty.

That is my point.

And if someone buys their car from Buffalo, then they better get used to the idea of paying a whole bunch out of pocket as reapirs will not be covered under a Canadian warranty.

hey J-150.. I bought a 08 King Ranch F-150 and saved $15,000. (It was a demo with 3000 miles).. And the warrenty works here. My back up camera was acting up and I took it to my local dealer and they fixed it no charge. Only the powertrain warrenty has an issue, but bumper to bumper is fine... Do the homework you candy ass

hey J-150.. I bought a 08 King Ranch F-150 and saved $15,000. (It was a demo with 3000 miles).. And the warrenty works here. My back up camera was acting up and I took it to my local dealer and they fixed it no charge. Only the powertrain warrenty has an issue, but bumper to bumper is fine... Do the homework you candy ass

candy ass?

nice try kiddo

post-20618-1130075403_thumb.jpg

So let's see, Canadians today are, by and large, paying the same amount as they were 5 years ago for stuff... but now all of a sudden it's too expensive?

Your paychecks haven't gotten smaller.

Your prices haven't gone up any faster than normal.

What's the big deal?

Uhh, well, for starters, our money is as of tonight worth 10% more than yours. Costs for certain industries go up as a result, and so to compensate, prices should go down.

OUR customers are getting e-mails from USA dealers saying they would be glad to sell them an american truck.

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Until Ford fixes this I recommend everyone buy a Chrysler product, at least they protect their dealers.

Edited by Financeman68

Uhh, well, for starters, our money is as of tonight worth 10% more than yours. Costs for certain industries go up as a result, and so to compensate, prices should go down.

Um, no, you're wrong. This actually makes everything you import cheaper to you, thus saving money. And since what you export is mainly to countries that have inelastic demand for it, you're only going to watch the currency strengthen more. An appreciating currency does not drive cost up by any means, it can only lower them. Either provide examples or show me a degree in economics.

Um, no, you're wrong. This actually makes everything you import cheaper to you, thus saving money. And since what you export is mainly to countries that have inelastic demand for it, you're only going to watch the currency strengthen more. An appreciating currency does not drive cost up by any means, it can only lower them. Either provide examples or show me a degree in economics.

Sorry, I misspoke ,I meant to say that profit goes down, for example the beef industry. Every jump in CAD results in a drop in the price.

And as for the other one. The oil companies costs are in CAD, and the sale is in USD. If they weren't making so much money, it would be bad for them.

Sorry, I misspoke ,I meant to say that profit goes down, for example the beef industry. Every jump in CAD results in a drop in the price.

And as for the other one. The oil companies costs are in CAD, and the sale is in USD. If they weren't making so much money, it would be bad for them.

Except the price of oil is increasing at a higher rate than CAD is appreciating vs USD.

Edit: Having low/no goverment debt, maintaining a positive current account, and having vast natural resources while producing more than you consume is the closest thing you'll find in economics to a 'free lunch'.

Edited by ShockFX

380 million dollar loss this quarter , now we all know why Ford is hanging their dealers and customers out to dry.

Buddy, could you spare a dime?

Do you even have any idea what you saying.? A small loss like that is great news. Ford's turnaround is ahead of schedule and Ford is doing fine in Canada. They will have to and will reduce prices as it has already been done by 2 automakers.

Do I know what I am saying?

Of course I do, they are STILL losing money and if they weren't maybe they could afford to do the right thing.

On the other hand maybe if they step up and lead, they could sell enough vehicles and not lose any money at all.

Amazing concept hey?

There are a ton of us the bleed Ford blue that are ready to tell Ford to shove their company sideways.

You say they are going to reduce prices????? They DID already, but it is a F*&^ing joke how little they gave.

2008 Taurus in Canada costs $42,000 which is $14,000 more expensive than the US version. Same interest rates on both sides of the border and the same warranty.

How do I explain that to a customer?

Oh but wait, Ford dropped the price $1000 folks, so I guess we'll take you right into our finance office right now.

The company deserves to lose money the way it is being run now.

They don't give a crap about us and I am starting to return the favor.

Buy a Dodge right now, they protect their dealer network in Canada and they are actually reducing their prices to help their customers.

THEY deserve the business

Edited by Financeman68

Do I know what I am saying?

Of course I do, they are STILL losing money and if they weren't maybe they could afford to do the right thing.

On the other hand maybe if they step up and lead, they could sell enough vehicles and not lose any money at all.

Amazing concept hey?

There are a ton of us the bleed Ford blue that are ready to tell Ford to shove their company sideways.

You say they are going to reduce prices????? They DID already, but it is a F*&^ing joke how little they gave.

2008 Taurus in Canada costs $42,000 which is $14,000 more expensive than the US version. Same interest rates on both sides of the border and the same warranty.

How do I explain that to a customer?

Oh but wait, Ford dropped the price $1000 folks, so I guess we'll take you right into our finance office right now.

The company deserves to lose money the way it is being run now.

They don't give a crap about us and I am starting to return the favor.

Buy a Dodge right now, they protect their dealer network in Canada and they are actually reducing their prices to help their customers.

THEY deserve the business

First, a Base model Taurus doesn't cost 42000. Second, they'll be forced to reduce more. Third, selling more cars will not make ford money. If they can't make a profit on revenues of $160B, them a few more sales won't make a difference. For being a finance man.....

Ford as usual will be the last to react. I don't expect them to be proactive. They don't have to lower the prices, but they can do stuff like 'free gas for a year', just like Honda does for end of model year. This way the residuals stay the same, and the customer gets something he can use.

Still, I think Honda is the worst offender in Canada. (They dropped like 10% last month in sales, coincidence??!?!) The CRV starts at 21k in US and 28k in Canada. The Accord starts at 20k in US and 27k in Canada.