2009 Lincoln MKS Unleashed

suv_guy_19

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Because, as the domestics have shown, reputations are not immutable.

The MKS is, in this segment, the best pure luxury play. It is no barn stormer, but then again, Lincolns are not now, and never have been barnstormers (heck, the Carrera victories in the early 50s were in endurance races).

With interior dimensions comparable to vehicles costing tens of thousands more, and with interior appointments that are expected from -any- luxury car, the MKS looks like the best luxury car in the midprice segment.

It's not the best car period, in this segment, and I'm not going to assert that there is some holy grail of car perfection, toward which all cars should aim.

Rather, the MKS is by traditional luxury measures a thoroughly exceptional entry.

The MKS is, in this segment, the best pure luxury play. It is no barn stormer, but then again, Lincolns are not now, and never have been barnstormers (heck, the Carrera victories in the early 50s were in endurance races).

With interior dimensions comparable to vehicles costing tens of thousands more, and with interior appointments that are expected from -any- luxury car, the MKS looks like the best luxury car in the midprice segment.

It's not the best car period, in this segment, and I'm not going to assert that there is some holy grail of car perfection, toward which all cars should aim.

Rather, the MKS is by traditional luxury measures a thoroughly exceptional entry.

ahhhhh, sanity...........

neither do most other manufacturers......

No you're right, Audi has S/RS, Merc has AMG, Lexus has F, Jaguar has R, Cadillac has V, etc. Not all luxury marques have racing pedigrees, or convertible of any varity, most do. My point? Its going to be difficult to compare the merits of the MKS to those of the 5 series, etc. because (WARNING: Opinion ahead) most buyers see the brands as a whole and not an individual model. Therefore and it is going to be difficult (verifiable through various media interviews with Ford management),if this, the MKS, is the Lincoln flagship incarnate, to get conquest sales from better established brands because (WARNING: Opinion ahead) it doesn't bring anything new and exciting to the market, i.e. TF engine. Look how much luck Volvo is having with the S80 versus that of Land Rover. Terrain Response. OOOH! Supercharged engines. AHHH! Off-road Beast. WOW! Alpine Windows and Roof. DANG! It's a "Range". I WANT ONE!

I suppose I am cautiously optimistic. Driving dynamics are going to be a huge question mark with this car. The car's structure, although sharing a basic design with the current Taurus, is pretty substantially upgraded. It's not a matter of being a barnstormer or a canyon carver, but there is a certain expectation of ride quality, handling prowess, isolation from the road, and noise/vibration/harshness levels.

The thing that builds my optimism is the eventually inclusion of the Twin Force engine. In order to handle that kind of power, a car needs to be built to a certain standard. Old muscle cars had massive engines, but were dangerous to drive fast because the rest of the car wasn't up to the engine. The BMW 528i is a better car because the 5-Series chassis needs to be able to drive with a 500hp V10 in its M form. Or that the normal S550 is a better car because the chassis needs to compete with Bentleys in its S65 form.

Consequently, with a Twin Force on the way, the base MKS needs to be able to drive like a $60,000 car.

Why can this car not be counted as a real flagship? I don't get how people see it that way.

WHy would Lincoln want this car to be their flagship?

Let me first give my impressions of the MKS, I am mixed, I think the design is nice, very nice infact on the exterior, I dislike the small chrome strips on the door handles but that is nothing to diminish the overall appearance of the exterior, to be very judge mental the design philosophy would work better with sharper pointed headlights that wrap around, but that is nit picking, the level of change between the Taurus and the MKS is what All lincolns derived from Ford's should be. You understand my disgust for the MKZ and MKX? The MKS is the correct way to handle product derived from Fords, the MKZ and MKX are the posterchids of what not to do.

The interior has very nice features it just seems something it missing, can Ford not design attractive dash displays? And the center console just needs more juxtapostition of elements, it seems lacking, which is simple opinion, the interior has a design theme, something Ford has failed to offer in Ford BRand cars hince the fusion. ONe grip I will shout out is the damn Lincoln name on the Dash, that came from either a very dumb designer or an engineer, what the hell is the point of putting the name on the center console? So glaringly noticeable too, if the simply stamped it in slightly into the material that is one thing, but chrome lettering is pathetic, it seems some design school rejects from the focus redesign made headway into the MKS design.

But besides a few gripes, this vehicle is stylish and well executed.

My question of why would lincoln want this to be their flagship model? Has lincoln sompletely lost their prestige where now under this hot new product push a $38k sedan is their flagship? Why limit yourself, this shouldn't be lincolns flagship and no one should want it to be.

Edited by DCK

No you're right, Audi has S/RS, Merc has AMG, Lexus has F, Jaguar has R, Cadillac has V, etc. Not all luxury marques have racing pedigrees, or convertible of any varity, most do. My point? Its going to be difficult to compare the merits of the MKS to those of the 5 series, etc. because (WARNING: Opinion ahead) most buyers see the brands as a whole and not an individual model. Therefore and it is going to be difficult (verifiable through various media interviews with Ford management),if this, the MKS, is the Lincoln flagship incarnate, to get conquest sales from better established brands because (WARNING: Opinion ahead) it doesn't bring anything new and exciting to the market, i.e. TF engine. Look how much luck Volvo is having with the S80 versus that of Land Rover. Terrain Response. OOOH! Supercharged engines. AHHH! Off-road Beast. WOW! Alpine Windows and Roof. DANG! It's a "Range". I WANT ONE!

see your point, but R's, AMG's, M's etc reach into stratopheric pricing range and are true cutting edge...this is Lincolns first step, next up is the TF.......simple as that, and both will undercut their German competitors by rather large amounts I will guess, bag for the buck as such...THIS is Lincolns 525.....the TF will be their sports luxury version, not balls out, for direct comparison to your afformentioned hot rods watch for the MKR....that I think will be more seriously sports oriented....I will be curious to see the sales #'s on this in comparo to the caddies though...

Because they have nothing else to take on that role.

I know their confusing....

Lincoln had nothing as a flagship before!!!!! What the Town Car, give me a break! So they go from nothing to a decent entry into the luxury market(which they really didn't have at all).......it might not be what you want, but its better then what we had!

I think its nice

And on another note....Lincoln isn't building BMW here(thats Cadillac besides Ford ain't got the cash!) maybe one day their vehicles will compete directly with Lexus and the like, but that is a Lincoln for another day..."Live to fight another day"

Edited by ManFord

When you're stagnant, but that is assuming there is an association between a their decrease in market share and an aging product mix (JOKING)

What is your basis for the first sentence?

To who?

More likely its finally the equivalant to, or slightly betters, interms of pure mechanical specs of course the ES 350 introduced in 2006. Everyone can judge esthetics as they see fit. (WARNING: Opinion ahead) This should be a knock down drag out comparison test.

i found this on ford auto shows website

"The MKS comes with a 3.7L turbocharged V6 Duratec engine generating 315 horsepower. It will be in showrooms in the second half of 2008."

http://autoshows.ford.com/182/2007/11/14/a...on-for-lincoln/

Some dumb intern. The MKS concept had a 315hp V8, the Twin Force is a turbo, and the current only engine is a 3.7L V6. Confusing, I know.