F-150 Commercial: Behind the Scenes

range

I only want to watch the video if it has Tundras in the back ground doing all the heavy lifting.

:P

Awesome commercials; put a big smile on my face. Just goes to show the F-150 is the best. Still wish they would do a TV version of the ad in Car & Driver (I think), where a guy describes getting sandwhiched between to semis and being able to walk away from it; bottom line reads "Bet in Vegas...not in your truck". Suck on that Tundra!

I only want to watch the video if it has Tundras in the back ground doing all the heavy lifting.

:P

There would have been Tundras in these commercials, but all the Tundras were all in the shop getting their camshafts pieced back together, and their tailgates put back on, and their transmissions replaced....

There would have been Tundras in these commercials, but all the Tundras were all in the shop getting their camshafts pieced back together, and their tailgates put back on, and their transmissions replaced....

And having the 150 lbs of weight added to the box. And raising their roofs so that someone more than 6' can fit inside.

I like how when the plane comes to a stop, the nose rises back up to normal position. Not something I would expect if a truck is stopping it.

I don't see why the truck couldn't stop it. Its only a C27J. Its not that heavy. They chose it because it looks so much Like a Hercules so then people would think it was stopping a Hercules.

is it supposed to ignore the laws of psychics because its getting stopped by a truck? :finger:

never heard of nosedive?

Igor

I know that when I have towed cars with a strap, and they have slowed the tow vehicle down, the nose of the tow vehicle didn't dive. The nose only dives when it is being stopped by it's own front brakes.

If the truck brought that plane to a stop, the nose would not have dived. If the plane was hitting it's own brakes, the nose would dive...and it did.

I know that when I have towed cars with a strap, and they have slowed the tow vehicle down, the nose of the tow vehicle didn't dive. The nose only dives when it is being stopped by it's own front brakes.

Big difference. If you were going at speed, and the guy in the towed car hit his brakes (analogous to what is shown in the commercial), your nose would dive.

Why?

Because rotation about a center of mass happens regardless of where the stopping power is applied.

Put this way: kids dirt bikes with pedal brakes ONLY brake the rear wheel. Yet, if you clamp down on the brakes at speed, you're going over the handlebars, and the bike is probably going to come round after you.

Why?

Because rotation about a center of mass happens regardless of where the stopping power is applied.

I don't see why the truck couldn't stop it. Its only a C27J. Its not that heavy. They chose it because it looks so much Like a Hercules so then people would think it was stopping a Hercules.

Like anyone outside the military or afficionados of such know what a Hercules is. They used a big, hulking plane. That's all the general public sees or knows.

Personally, I think it's a pretty silly ad...like they tried too hard to out-do the silly Tundra ads. Their simpler ads when Mike Rowe first showed up were better I think.

"Fully-boxed frame, Mike!" Classic.

What causes torque steer?

Force applied to one end of a half shaft is not immediately applied to the other end of the half shaft. The materials from which the half shaft are made determine the rate at which force is transferred to the other end of the half shaft.

Torque steer occurs when uneven length half shafts receive a change in torque that is not transmitted to the corresponding wheels at the same time. The vehicle will pull in the direction of the longer half shaft.

How that applies to braking.

A braking force applied to an object does not stop all of the object at once (for the same reason that torque applied to one end of a half shaft is not immediately transferred to the other end). Seat belts are used to force someone to be stopped at (more or less) the same rate as the steering wheel, dashboard, and windshield.

In the commercial:

The braking force is being applied to the rear of the plane, actually it is first applied to the truck, then the cable, then the back of the plane, and lastly, the front of the plane.

Because of this and because the plane has forward inertia, the plane will dive in the direction of travel (forward, as opposed to backward), not the direction that the braking force is being applied.

Put another way:

Why do you have disc brakes on the front of your car?

Because the front brakes do most of the braking.

Why?

Because weight transfers forward under braking. Regardless of where the braking input occurs.

Consider that FWD cars squat under acceleration---because mass is being rotated backwards around the pitch axis.

--However--

Where braking input is applied on vehicles with more than one axle does affect the degree of pitch about the pitch axis.

Consider a kid on a bike, again. Imagine that only his front brakes work. He clamps down on the brakes at a high rate of speed, and his bike will certainly flip. If only the back brakes are applied, the kid is still going to fly off the bike, and if he were attached by some seatbelt, he would most certainly pull the bike along with him, but if he is not belted in, depending on how fast he's going, the bike either flies forward or it doesn't.

Consider this plane: Were the nose brakes applied forcefully (with no braking on the rear landing gear, and without the truck attached), the forward pitch would be even more pronounced.

Why?

Because the mass of the plane aft of the pitch axis will have a tendency to rotate forward around the pitch axis, and this mass is not having any braking force applied to it.

This is why you have brakes on the back wheels--back wheel brakes do not need to be as strong as front wheel brakes because they need only prevent the mass aft of the pitch axis from rotating forward too far.

Edited by RichardJensen

Like anyone outside the military or afficionados of such know what a Hercules is. They used a big, hulking plane. That's all the general public sees or knows.

Personally, I think it's a pretty silly ad...like they tried too hard to out-do the silly Tundra ads. Their simpler ads when Mike Rowe first showed up were better I think.

"Fully-boxed frame, Mike!" Classic.

Well, I know here a great many people know what a Hercules is. I just thought that would be the same down there as they are used for so many things. I could be wrong, but they look exactly like a small Hercules and would small most people who know generally what the plane looks like.

Do you know why seatbelts work?

"Why they work", like they hold you in the seat keeping your head from exploding once it hits the windshield?

OR...

How they know when to "tension up"? I do not know how they tension up.

EDIT: Never mind...I read your above post. Do I understand it? No. Do I doubt you? No.

Edited by P71_CrownVic