Will Ford Kill the Explorer?

Depends on the MPG remember deisel costs more than gas again! Can Ford build a dieses that either yeilds good enough MPG to justify the purchase, of sell them cheaper than gas models to have the cheaper MSRP offset the cost of owning one!

That is a good point. Around me, diesel fuel is about 10 cents (I think it was) more than premium fuel per gallon.

Edited by rmc523

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$3.83 here and the dependability is no longer enough incentive for people to buy a deisel because so many lease and cannot afford a buy!

I'm trying to remember what exact fuel prices are near me.....I think these are about right:

Regular: just over $3.24/gallon

Midgrade: around $3.35/gallon

Premium: $3.49/gallon

Diesel: $3.59/gallon

I think I might be a little off, but those numbers are pretty close.

Edited by rmc523

• 2 weeks later...
It'd be nice if Ford was able to get the 3.5L V6 in there to replace the 4.0L (I believe it is), that would help fuel economy problems somewhat, IMO.

With a FWD set-up, gone are the days of the V8 Explorer as well. Sad, my dad just got done racing his at the drag strip (5.0 Limited)...didn't say it was fast, but he loves the V8. He wouldn't have bought a 6.

I'm trying to remember what exact fuel prices are near me.....I think these are about right:

Regular: just over $3/gallon

Midgrade: around $3.15 maybe?

Premium: $3.25-ish?

Diesel: $3.55-ish maybe?

I think I might be a little off, I'll double check tomorrow.

regular is $2.85 near me

midgrade is $2.90 something

premium was $3.04 at sunnoco last week, i think it went up, but its is probably still around $3.15 or less

Diesel is around $3.40-$3.50 i think

but don't focus just on the $$ per gallon of Diesel...

You get about 30%+/- PER gallon that offsets the cost and then there is the torque, long life along with the now quiter / cleaner burning of diesel engines as well.

Ford needs to get their act together on more than just the Escape Hybrid as to other options.

.....wow...I don't know how anyone could see that concept as a bad thing. There are many good things to take away from it.

If Ford took the Taurus X, made it look like a Mustang, and then trashed the RWD Mustang chassis and named this Mustang styled Taurus X a Mustang, would it really be a Mustang?

Was the Probe a Mustang?

That looks nothing like a freestyle.... It looks like an explorer with a a diff front end and changes to the side panels. If you look you can still see an Explorer in the general dimensions and flow of the vehicle.

I agree, I don't know where he sees Freestyle in the concept.

That looks nothing like a freestyle.... It looks like an explorer with a a diff front end and changes to the side panels. If you look you can still see an Explorer in the general dimensions and flow of the vehicle.

It's not about the looks, it's about the platform!! It's a Taurus/Taurus X platform re-skinned to look like a Explorer, understand? I shouldn't have to keep repeating myself.

Like I said about the Mustang, if they took a D3 chassis, put Mustang styling cues on it, it would not be a Mustang, same goes for a FWD Explorer, it's very very simple..

I can't believe all the Ridgeline bashing that goes on around here when you guys salivate over a Ford version..

It's not about the looks, it's about the platform!! It's a Taurus/Taurus X platform re-skinned to look like a Explorer, understand? I shouldn't have to keep repeating myself.

Like I said about the Mustang, if they took a D3 chassis, put Mustang styling cues on it, it would not be a Mustang, same goes for a FWD Explorer, it's very very simple..

I can't believe all the Ridgeline bashing that goes on around here when you guys salivate over a Ford version..

I can't believe all the Ford bashing that comes from a guy that claims to like them. This is the best news in a long time. That concept holds so much hope for the future. Everyone says, "come on Ford, build cars people want." They do it, and "well thats not what I would have wanted" or "that is garbage, it will never sell," or it has to be true to its exact form and we can never change it even if people don't want it the way it is now" and :blah:. Stop it. People want unit body CUVs, they know the Explorer name when it comes to SUVs, they will buy a unit body Explorer. Its really quite simple.

Edited by suv_guy_19

there is a big difference between a Mustang and Explorer - Mustang is still used as originally intended - hence a move on D3 platform would HURT ITS CUSTOMERS. Explorer is no longer used by vast majority of owners as the off-road capable 7,000lbs towing SUV it is - today's Explorer is used as a 7 passenger crossover / minivan - hence the move to D3 will have NO NEGATIVE EFFECT on these owners.

giant difference you should realize.

Igor

there is a big difference between a Mustang and Explorer - Mustang is still used as originally intended - hence a move on D3 platform would HURT ITS CUSTOMERS. Explorer is no longer used by vast majority of owners as the off-road capable 7,000lbs towing SUV it is - today's Explorer is used as a 7 passenger crossover / minivan - hence the move to D3 will have NO NEGATIVE EFFECT on these owners.

giant difference you should realize.

Igor

I doubt most people will even realize its switched from BOF to a unibody frame anyways.

I doubt most people will even realize its switched from BOF to a unibody frame anyways.

nobody realized it with the Pathfinder and that SUV went from Unitobdy to BOF, back to unitbody, and back to BOF and is heading back to Unitbody for the next gen ..

Igor

nobody realized it with the Pathfinder and that SUV went from Unitobdy to BOF, back to unitbody, and back to BOF and is heading back to Unitbody for the next gen ..

Igor

Precisely...and we're talking about an SUV here. Makes the whole Panther argument sound childish, doesn't it?