Smart car only gets 40 MPG highway?

Joe771476

The car weighs only 1800 lbs! I use to average (city and highway) 26 MPG with a 1985 Cadillac Deville! I used to get 52 MPG with my wife's 1996 Nissan Sentra! Smart? Hybrids? What's all the fuss? If everybody would stop racing up to traffic lights that have just turned red and go to a slow roll instead, and were happy to reach 50 MPH when the light turns green in 4/10 of a mile instead of 2/10 of a mile, you too would get 20% better gas mileage than the mfr. of your vehicle says you should! And I see people leaving their cars idling at Dunkin Donuts every morning whether it be summer (apparently to keep the AC running when it's only 65 degrees out!) and of course in the winter to keep the car warm. Even people with no kids in the car idle in line for 10 minutes (with the car in "drive") at drive-thrus. Apparently gasoline is still cheap to them! I can't wait for it to go to $5.00! Then maybe they'll learn! MAYBE! But I doubt it!

Edited by Joe771476

The car weighs only 1800 lbs! I use to average (city and highway) 26 MPG with a 1985 Cadillac Deville! I used to get 52 MPG with my wife's 1996 Nissan Sentra! Smart? Hybrids? What's all the fuss? If everybody would stop racing up to traffic lights that have just turned red and go to a slow roll instead, and were happy to reach 50 MPH when the light turns green in 4/10 of a mile instead of 2/10 of a mile, you too would get 20% better gas mileage than the mfr. of your vehicle says you should! And I see people leaving their cars idling at Dunkin Donuts every morning whether it be summer (apparently to keep the AC running when it's only 65 degrees out!) and of course in the winter to keep the car warm. Even people with no kids in the car idle in line for 10 minutes (with the car in "drive") at drive-thrus. Apparently gasoline is still cheap to them! I can't wait for it to go to $5.00! Then maybe they'll learn! MAYBE! But I doubt it!

This article says 54.3 mpg, the diesel in Canada gets up to 70mpg...

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...41/pageNumber=1

And a minor collision with a full size truck can peel your skin right off :hysterical: Its friggin scary to be in a car that is only crash tested against its own 1800lb mass, especially against 5000+trucks that score 5 stars. They should do energy based crash tests rather then static speed, to see if the Smart does as good as the equivilent F150 by running it into the offset barrier at 120mph.

And a minor collision with a full size truck can peel your skin right off :hysterical: Its friggin scary to be in a car that is only crash tested against its own 1800lb mass, especially against 5000+trucks that score 5 stars. They should do energy based crash tests rather then static speed, to see if the Smart does as good as the equivilent F150 by running it into the offset barrier at 120mph.

I'll still prefer to drive my 1970's and 1980's cars thank you.

Smart Fortwo... What a yuppie asshole name for a car! "For two"

I wouldn't drive that piece of shit if they paid me to do it!

A 3 Cylinder GEO Metro got nearly 40 MPG and seated 4, 5 if you squeezed them in! The govenment is going to have to face the fact that the automakers have done nearly all they can to improve MPG by the market demanding it before imposing CAFE standards, imposing them will just keep any car from being sold here legally in the future!

But the 2008 Smart Fortwo Brabus Xclusive does carry a price, specifically a bottom line in Germany of $27,900 in coupe form and $32,100 in cabriolet guise

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...41/pageNumber=1

Chinese version $9,950.00

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/10/huoyu...ts-chinese.html

http://www.spark-ev.com/6000.html

Both death traps

The Smart has a very strong safety cage that is designed to disapate energy around the occupants. You can see in this video how well it protects them in this indepentant test vs a Mercedes S-Class sedan.

Smart Fortwo Crash Test

While it does do a great job, as you will see in the video, the weight mismatch causes the car to spin around and roll over. Imagine this being an accident on a four lane road. Any one want to play soccer with a 1800lb ball?

:hysterical:

The Smart has a very strong safety cage that is designed to disapate energy around the occupants. You can see in this video how well it protects them in this indepentant test vs a Mercedes S-Class sedan.

Smart Fortwo Crash Test

While it does do a great job, as you will see in the video, the weight mismatch causes the car to spin around and roll over. Imagine this being an accident on a four lane road. Any one want to play soccer with a 1800lb ball?

:hysterical:

Actually that's the point. Its supposed to roll away to minimize impact effect. Even worse than a 4 lane road, imagine getting into an accident on a cliff side road.

I saw one of these on the road with M plates on it. I completely dwarfed the guy in my F-Series and imagined just how bad it would be for him if he were to hit me. After seeing this video, I'm a little apalled. What about the innocent motorists that are going to have to play soccer with this thing when it does wreck? I can't imagine insurance being cheap on these either if the whole thing is going to roll over instantly. They'll probably always be totalled out. We should petition to keep these things off the road!!!!

PS. Can anyone translate what they're saying in the video? I can't imagine it being good...