2009 F150 is being revealed to media today

igor

When MKS was revealed a month ago, the embargo was not breached - however, today the F150 is being revealed, and we have good 4 weeks before the official reveal at NAIAS - here is to hoping the embargo will be breached this time :D However, I am not at the media event, so I will not be doing nay breaching - just waiting on others to do it :D

Igor

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.autosavant.net/2007/10/predicti...-ford-f150.html

Igor, are you the one who wrote this article? I was just curious because I stumbled across it today.

By the way, anybody else see this picture before?

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/...d525d5dc6_o.jpg

It shows the new F-150 as having those ugly "vents" to the left and right side of the grille. I hate those on the F-250 SuperDuty. I think the front grille styling looks like it's taking a step backwards from where it was, which is slightly irritating. Even though the F-150 is the oldest design out there right now, I thnk it is the most modern looking even today.

Edited by SVT_MAN

By the way, anybody else see this picture before?

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/...d525d5dc6_o.jpg

It shows the new F-150 as having those ugly "vents" to the left and right side of the grille. I hate those on the F-250 SuperDuty. I think the front grille styling looks like it's taking a step backwards from where it was, which is slightly irritating. Even though the F-150 is the oldest design out there right now, I thnk it is the most modern looking even today.

I think that black grill is fake, if you notice, there is chrome next to the headlights where the real grill is

To hell with embargoes! Release the pics!

Scared of what I might see though...

not yet...don't spoil the hoopla....Anticipation is a great form of free advertising.....personally i think they pre-released EVERYTHING on the Flex WAY too soon, i hope they don't do the same on this vehicle....just a little "it out EVERYTHING the Tundra", or "gets better mileage than ALL the competition" or "coming in Fall a truck that raises ALL the bars...."..........

On the powertrain side, there is one big disappointment – there will be no BOSS V8 engines at launch; all the V8 engines at launch will be from the Modular / Triton family. However, new engines will be added quickly though the 2009 model year and at the beginning of the 2010 model year.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard since rushing the problematic 6 liter PSD to market along side of the old 7.3 PSD for the 2003.

Lets ass-sume the new motors are flawless once they actually make it into the truck what type of resale do you think the 2009 truck with the antiquated motors and trannies will have? The bright side of things God forbid the new gas motors are a national disaster such as the 6 liters were in 2003 the new trucks with the old gas motors will at least have good resale.

Pop question: Name an auto manufacturer in modern history which the typical consumer holds to a high regard who has ever launched a totally redesigned version of its most successful vehicle with a lineup of previous engines from the previous platform only to replace the entire engine lineup sometime year after the launch of the redesigned vehicle?

I don't know if you've noticed or not but the typical auto buyer is getting away from rewarding stupidity with his hard earned money. Sure this truck will sell but look how many sales this is going to cost Ford in the process because once again they didn't have their chit together before launching a vehicle.

Edited by Automotive Paint

On the powertrain side, there is one big disappointment – there will be no BOSS V8 engines at launch; all the V8 engines at launch will be from the Modular / Triton family. However, new engines will be added quickly though the 2009 model year and at the beginning of the 2010 model year.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard since rushing the problematic 6 liter PSD to market along side of the old 7.3 PSD for the 2003.

Lets ass-sume the new motors are flawless once they actually make it into the truck what type of resale do you think the 2009 truck with the antiquated motors and trannies will have? The bright side of things God forbid the new gas motors are a national disaster such as the 6 liters were in 2003 the new trucks with the old gas motors will at least have good resale.

Pop question: Name an auto manufacturer in modern history which the typical consumer holds to a high regard who has ever launched a totally redesigned version of its most successful vehicle with a lineup of previous engines from the previous platform only to replace the entire engine lineup sometime year after the launch of the redesigned vehicle?

I don't know if you've noticed or not but the typical auto buyer is getting away from rewarding stupidity with his hard earned money. Sure this truck will sell but look how many sales this is going to cost Ford in the process because once again they didn't have their chit together before launching a vehicle.

BMW.

The 3 Series.

2.5/3.0 at the intro of the E90. A year later the 3.0/TT 3.0 was introduced.

I REALLY don't see what a big deal is about not launching it with the new engines. SO FREAKIN' WHAT? It won't hurt their resale. They'll still probably have better resale than the '08's on the market now. People who want a new truck are going to buy a new truck. Instead of getting a new truck with a body style AND engines AND interiors AND transmissions that are a few years old, they'll just get one with an engine that's a few years old. It's not going to turn that many buyers off.

This could also be a BENEFIT. Gives Ford several months to assemble the new truck without having to worry about a new engine too. It may likely result in a higher-quality vehicle overall. By the time the new engines are going in, they will probably have worked out any production kinks involving the rest of the vehicle, which will allow them to focus on any kinks with the new engines instead.

I REALLY don't see what a big deal is about not launching it with the new engines. SO FREAKIN' WHAT? It won't hurt their resale. They'll still probably have better resale than the '08's on the market now. People who want a new truck are going to buy a new truck. Instead of getting a new truck with a body style AND engines AND interiors AND transmissions that are a few years old, they'll just get one with an engine that's a few years old. It's not going to turn that many buyers off.

This could also be a BENEFIT. Gives Ford several months to assemble the new truck without having to worry about a new engine too. It may likely result in a higher-quality vehicle overall. By the time the new engines are going in, they will probably have worked out any production kinks involving the rest of the vehicle, which will allow them to focus on any kinks with the new engines instead.

Considering all that is at stake with the launch of this vehicle what would it hurt to wait 6 months to launch the new chassis with a properly tested and inventoried new motor and tranny especially considering the main sales nemesis of the current truck is its 90's motor and tranny?

What's the rush?

I want Ford to be succesful like everyone else but Ford has history here (read PSD) that has cost it not only major market share but its reputation as well.

That makes too much sense :redcard: Ford should go ahead and release it, and recall 'em Tundra style.

Considering all that is at stake with the launch of this vehicle what would it hurt to wait 6 months to launch the new chassis with a properly tested and inventoried new motor and tranny especially considering the main sales nemesis of the current truck is its 90's motor and tranny?

What's the rush?

I want Ford to be succesful like everyone else but Ford has history here (read PSD) that has cost it not only major market share but its reputation as well.

Nothing "90's" will be left of the truck. The only things that are still carryover NOW are the cruddy V6 and the automatics. The 3-valve Tritons didn't exist in the 90's and the V6 and automatics are to be replaced on the new truck.

As for market share -- they've been losing that elsewhere. Not in fullsize pickups.

everyone loves to poo-poo the 5.4...it is an AWESOME engine, BULLETPROOF, its only true weakness is the 4 speed tranny....after witnessing what the 6 speed did to the SAME engine in the Expedition don;t be so eager to dismiss....

Here comes the onslaught of bububu spark-plugs-ejecting bububu

In 3.............

THERE WILL BE NO CARRYOVER ENGINES IN THE 2009 F150 - THERE WILL ALSO BE NO BOSS however.

This is how it works - the F150 now has a 2v 4.6l and 3v 5.4l and 4.0l V6 - the 2009 F150 will have 3v 4.6l, upgraded 3v 5.4l, and 3.7l V6.

so first of all - all the HP/Torque numbers will be different from all the previous engines - nothing will carry over.

second, all these engines will be paired with 6 speed transmissions - no 4speeds anymore - NONE - this alone will make a huge difference in the driving of the trucks

Once the BOSS 6.2l V8 arrives IT WILL NOT BECOME A MASS MARKET ENGINE!!! - only the Tundra sells majority with the 400hp engine - and that is because almost no Tundras are sold to real world daily truckers. In all other competing trucks, the larger 400-ish horsepower V8's are NOT the mass market engines - the 320hp engines are .. which will be taken care of by the 5.4l.

So there is no harm in the meat of the market - the new and better 5.4l will have higher HP (320 or so) than the current 5.4l (300hp) and will increase its torque leadership (from 360 ft.lbs to about 380 ft.lbs). Matted to a 6speed, like in the Expedition, this will spank the competing mass-market engines. The 5.4l will also match the torque of the "celebrated" 5.8l iForce from Toyota. GM and Dodge will have one-up though in the "high end" low-volume engines.

This will be remedies 6 months after launch - with the 6.2l BOSS - 420hp and about the same torque, this engine will easily match the GM Vortex Max and the HEMI from Dodge.

People like to pretend every automotive segment stands on the "extreme" end of it ... Compacts cannot survive without 200hp performance models, Midsizes need 300hp V6, and trucks need 400+ hp V8's. The truth is that the meat of the market is nowhere near those engines - and for the F150, the new better 5.4l with the 6speed will take perfect care of the meat of its market.

Igor

Edited by igor

THERE WILL BE NO CARRYOVER ENGINES IN THE 2009 F150 - THERE WILL ALSO BE NO BOSS however.

This is how it works - the F150 now has a 2v 4.6l and 3v 5.4l and 4.0l V6 - the 2009 F150 will have 3v 4.6l, upgraded 3v 5.4l, and 3.7l V6.

so first of all - all the HP/Torque numbers will be different from all the previous engines - nothing will carry over.

second, all these engines will be paired with 6 speed transmissions - no 4speeds anymore - NONE - this alone will make a huge difference in the driving of the trucks

Once the BOSS 6.2l V8 arrives IT WILL NOT BECOME A MASS MARKET ENGINE!!! - only the Tundra sells majority with the 400hp engine - and that is because almost no Tundras are sold to real world daily truckers. In all other competing trucks, the larger 400-ish horsepower V8's are NOT the mass market engines - the 320hp engines are .. which will be taken care of by the 5.4l.

So there is no harm in the meat of the market - the new and better 5.4l will have higher HP (320 or so) than the current 5.4l (300hp) and will increase its torque leadership (from 360 ft.lbs to about 380 ft.lbs). Matted to a 6speed, like in the Expedition, this will spank the competing mass-market engines. The 5.4l will also match the torque of the "celebrated" 5.8l iForce from Toyota. GM and Dodge will have one-up though in the "high end" low-volume engines.

This will be remedies 6 months after launch - with the 6.2l BOSS - 420hp and about the same torque, this engine will easily match the GM Vortex Max and the HEMI from Dodge.

People like to pretend every automotive segment stands on the "extreme" end of it ... Compacts cannot survive without 200hp performance models, Midsizes need 300hp V6, and trucks need 400+ hp V8's. The truth is that the meat of the market is nowhere near those engines - and for the F150, the new better 5.4l with the 6speed will take perfect care of the meat of its market.

Igor

thankyou igor.....an IMPROVED bulletproof drivetrain KILLS a mega horsepower 0-60 queen that pukes camshafts whilst dealing with severe transmission vibrations.....

Igor

There you go! The "Image" truck buyer has all but been priced out of the market thanks to higher gas prices and tighter credit. What's left are mainly people who NEED a truck. In that regards, you better make it for them. Mark Fields has been saying this for years.

You know how many customers out there got an F-150 in the past, went to the grocery store or Starbucks, picked up Junior from soccer and then bitched about how it doesn't ride like a car or get good gas mileage in their eyes or vibrated their ass?

Edited by Former Ford ZM

[Once the BOSS 6.2l V8 arrives IT WILL NOT BECOME A MASS MARKET ENGINE!!! - only the Tundra sells majority with the 400hp engine - and that is because almost no Tundras are sold to real world daily truckers. In all other competing trucks, the larger 400-ish horsepower V8's are NOT the mass market engines - the 320hp engines are .. which will be taken care of by the 5.4l.

Igor

Igor, that statement makes no sense. The real truckers need a less powerful truck?

I bought the '05 F150 for the rated 9500lb towing capacity, not realizing that it meant: on level ground, at sea level, on a clear day, with a tail wind, at 35 mph. The truth is that I can't haul a '68 Cougar in an enclosed trailer at 70 mph with the 5.4 and the trailer towing package. I was embarrassed that i couldn't take one of my Cougars to the Cougar Club of America Nationals in Denver last summer because I couldn't pull it out of Phoenix to Flagstaff or Payson. I had to turn around and unload the car.... I know the F250 diesel could do the job, but it won't fit in my garage, and besides, my '76 F150 7.3L used to do the job just fine.

I love Ford trucks and have owned a bunch, but since '97 they haven't had the balls to haul what I want to move. The 460 was a real truck motor. I can't wait until I can get the 6.2 and maybe once again use my truck to pull trailers. I'll be calling DeanH as soon as they open the order book.