Ford cuts national Mercury ads - Focuses on Lincoln

igor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just ship the Euro Fords in as Mercurys and effectively make it and FOE division. Spend all Mercuries budget on federalising the FOE cars and marketing them. It would save money and shift more cars. Lincoln would be the main brand and FOE would just generate a few more sales. Let the Mercury brand continue to generate some cash and at least leave it ticking over until Ford can think about doing something more exciting with it.... Letting the dealers market it more would then also make more sense.

That has been suggested time and time again, however, w/ FNA and FoE merging operations, vehicle lines, etc. in a few years/next model generations, causing almost identical FNA and FoE vehicles, Mercury would then, in a short matter of time, become another Ford rebadge.

Besides, at the moment, according to an article posted somewhere on here, some FoE products (S-Max, other Genk(?) plant models) have a 6 month waiting list because the plant cant make enough of them. So, it sounds like FoE doesn't have much excess capacity to ship models over for US consumption as Mercuries.

Yeah. Until you get invited to Ford's headquarters and they tell you exactly what they're doing for the next 10 years, you're not changing your mind.

Right.

Nothing like setting the standard unreasonably high.

You can't even point to an instance that says Ford is cutting Mercury's ad budget.

The very fact that they've done what their dealerships want (decentralized ad buying), and what Farley said (can't find the article, sorry) he was exploring is 'proof' to you that Mercury is being abandoned.........

This is ridiculous, you are willing to take inferences (and not very good ones at that) as 'proof' that Mercury is being tossed to the dogs, but you demand access to confidential information as 'proof' that Mercury isn't?

Insanity, utter insanity.

1. There is no new product heading towards Mercry at all and no product that mercury has is scheduled to be replaced when the Ford counterpart is replaced.

2. Mullaly said merely that Lincoln and Mercury are doing well, never specified any future for Mercury.

3. The are abandoning mercury product to have Lincoln carry the dealerships.

4. They cut national advertising for mercury.

5. The Single Mercury outlet shut its doors.

What I find most shocking is that with every but of the puzzle that comes in about Mercury becoming non existent you spin. I fail to see how you can even fool yourself into believing the BS you post in reference to Mercury being in good shape.

Face it Richard Mercury is gone, it is no more. Ford is going to kill it, they are letting sales plummet for the brand and have no desire to capitalize on the equity Mercury brand brings because they want Mercury gone.

The Single Mercury outlet shut its doors.

Wow. That fact alone is overpowering evidence.

If that guy hadn't turned in his franchise, well, Ford would've been powerless to stop them.

Not to mention, Ford hasn't cut Mercury's ad budget, nor have they eliminated nationally standardized advertising materials. They've just stopped buying the Food Network spots themselves, relying instead on the LMDAs to scoop up those ads on the cheap from local cable companies.

Finally:

Fields challenged rumors that Mercury has no future by announcing that a refreshed version of the Milan sedan is in the works, as well as a hybrid version. While Ford plans to invest much more heavily in Lincoln and make it the volume-leader of the franchise, he said Mercury is bringing a different demographic into the company's showrooms.

"We've been very clear on what Mercury stands for," he said.

You see what you want to see; Ford execs can say whatever they want and you don't believe them, you'd rather believe your own inferences from inconsequential events (closure of one of over a thousand Mercury dealerships, transference of ad purchasing responsibility), and the ravings of disconnected internet hacks.

The real worth of a product is measured in hard times, how Ford, Lincoln and Mercury do next year

with forecasts of 15.2 to 15.5 million sales. I believe the brands will hold their numbers better than GM and Chrysler,

maybe improve on the Lincoln side.

Edited by jpd80

Unfortunately, for its market share, Ford still has one too many brands. There is simply too much competition nowadays for Ford to be competing against itself. Mercury is just too similar to Ford in style, as it muddles the picture and confuses potential customers.

Ford needs clarity and distinction for each of its brands. Ford and Lincoln can each stake its respective claim, after Mercury follows Oldsmobile and Plymouth to car heaven, by Ford moving slightly upmarket, and Lincoln moving slightly downmarket.

In today's automotive market, there is no longer room for the so called middle ground. Ford/Mazda/Lincoln/Volvo sounds about right to me. I trust Alan Mulally is on the correct path for Ford's long-term survival and hopefully eventual growth.

Wow. That fact alone is overpowering evidence.

If that guy hadn't turned in his franchise, well, Ford would've been powerless to stop them.

Not to mention, Ford hasn't cut Mercury's ad budget, nor have they eliminated nationally standardized advertising materials. They've just stopped buying the Food Network spots themselves, relying instead on the LMDAs to scoop up those ads on the cheap from local cable companies.

Finally:

You see what you want to see; Ford execs can say whatever they want and you don't believe them, you'd rather believe your own inferences from inconsequential events (closure of one of over a thousand Mercury dealerships, transference of ad purchasing responsibility), and the ravings of disconnected internet hacks.

It is called looking at the facts, companies and people will deny something all the way up until it is officially announced. I mean oh a refreshed milan...............................That will carry mercury for the next decade. :drop:

So now the question becomes, do you think Mercury should stay or die?

Edited by DCK

The real worth of a product is measured in hard times, how Ford, Lincoln and Mercury do next year

with forecasts of 15.2 to 15.5 million sales. I believe the brands will hold their numbers better than GM and Chrysler,

maybe improve on the Lincoln side.

Well Lincoln will improve, that is what happens when you hit rock bottom and are finally thrown a product, you have no where to go but up.

"why not bring over European Fords and slap Merc badges on 'em?'

Some are too young to remember the Merkur.

Oh, wait, they DID offer a re-badged Euro Ford since 2001! That Jaguar X-Type, a perfect car for the "I want Euro Ford", and they flopped! So, if the Jaguar name can't sell Euro Fords, how the hell will callling them Mercury help????

I actaully agree that Mercury brand is dying out, just FoMoCo wants to not make a huge deal about it, as GM did with Olds. It will fade out like Plymouth or Eagle, by the time it is announce, most will say "they still made those?"

"why not bring over European Fords and slap Merc badges on 'em?'

Some are too young to remember the Merkur.

Oh, wait, they DID offer a re-badged Euro Ford since 2001! That Jaguar X-Type, a perfect car for the "I want Euro Ford", and they flopped! So, if the Jaguar name can't sell Euro Fords, how the hell will callling them Mercury help????

I actaully agree that Mercury brand is dying out, just FoMoCo wants to not make a huge deal about it, as GM did with Olds. It will fade out like Plymouth or Eagle, by the time it is announce, most will say "they still made those?"

Ford has a way of fucking-up a car brought over from Europe. The Focus is a perfect example. That car was was as reliable as the sunrise in Europe...they bring it here and it has 10+ recalls in the first year.

On a side note, GM just said today that importing the Astra SAVED THEM 900 MILLION DOLLARS.

But I thought bringing a car over here was too expensive?

Yeah...

They also said that it is a stop-gap car...until about the time Ford finally gets a global platform for the Focus over here.

Like I said, they've got the capacity in Europe to spare.

See, if Ford took EU capacity and diverted it to the US, it would -cost- them money.

In GM's case, they are utilizing capacity that they already have, thus -saving- them money.

You praise FoE to the heavens, well this is the price of success; Ford has no capacity to divert to the US.

Actually when you think about it, it really is a good idea. NA is much more diverse than most of you are willing to admit. I countlessly see posts here that make statements like "I don't see them . . . so they must not be selling (etc.)" How naive.

Reminds of some very upper level execs of a corp that I worked for years ago that decided to open a new distribution center and they determined what stock should be there (here in SoFla) based on formulas from Memphis and what worked in other parts of the south. It took a couple years to turn some of the stock and the distr unit had to start ordering massive amounts of different stock that was needed in THIS area as soon as it opened.

Putting advertising in the hands of regional associations maximizes the effect in that region and those people should know their market (and their media) better than Detroit. That doesn't mean that Detroit is cutting out, it just means that they are going to be doing things more efficiently. Glad to see it.

Another thing is that we are pretty much now in a period of stagflation. Some of you guys know that high income people are NOT affected by recessions, and actually oftentimes spend more as "deals" can be had when business levels are dropping (especially when inflation is also present). Lincoln would be a much better division to emphasize in the near future than Mercury. People that buy Fords, Mercuries, Chevys, etc. may put off that purchase during these times, but those that would buy a luxury car. . . well, that happens more when the fancy hits them. While there exists a level of the wealthy that are into conspicuous consumption and will actually brag on how much they paid for things, there are many less wealthy people that like to maximize their dollars (some of them are down right cheap -how do you think some of them got where they are?) and so they will go out and buy that luxury car (now or near future) before the prices go up (inflation). Companies that know how to market to the well-heeled in times of recession/stagflation, usually do very well.

One last thought. I certainly hope that Ford keeps its mouth shut on what they are developing. . . at least until it is ready to be launched. There are going to be many auto manuf'ers that will be scrambling in the future and Ford shouldn't show its "hand" too soon. Certainly not to some of the numb-nuts that frequent this place.

The big IF is whether the LMDAs can make the right decisions about what ads to place and where to place them.

IF the LMDAs do this well, we may see Ford turning over almost all of the routine stuff (except for football, and some TV programs) to the LMDAs and FDAFs (I think they're called FDAFs); Ford may only do product launches and the internet nationally, with dealership associations taking over the brunt of ad buys.....

If it works, it could make Ford very nimble, OTOH, we could discover how little car dealers know about marketing cars...............................

If it works, it could make Ford very nimble, OTOH, we could discover how little car dealers know about marketing cars...............................

Sounds like a good plan to sharpen up dealers.

If they struggle with marketing at first, at least that shows where help is needed - maybe training?

Two years down the track, this could work very well for Ford.

“It’s like a 50-50 deal,” Farley told the San Diego dealer. “It’s not like you merchandise the old stuff, and I’ll take care of the new stuff. Those days are over. We’re going to do this together, but it’s going to put a burden on you.”

Witt said dealers could handle that. “God bless you. Welcome aboard,” he told Farley.

Sounds good.

Edited by jpd80

The big IF is whether the LMDAs can make the right decisions about what ads to place and where to place them.

IF the LMDAs do this well, we may see Ford turning over almost all of the routine stuff (except for football, and some TV programs) to the LMDAs and FDAFs (I think they're called FDAFs); Ford may only do product launches and the internet nationally, with dealership associations taking over the brunt of ad buys.....

Do you really believe this is some test?

What has hurt Ford is their inability to put out meaningful advertisement. Now they will simply rely on dealers advertising their discounts on the product? It makes no meaningful sense.

Ford needs a marketing strategy, and good advertisement, this is the complete opposite. Mercury is dead.

Do you really believe this is some test?

What has hurt Ford is their inability to put out meaningful advertisement. Now they will simply rely on dealers advertising their discounts on the product? It makes no meaningful sense.

Ford needs a marketing strategy, and good advertisement, this is the complete opposite. Mercury is dead.

Dealer associations don't only advertise discounts. The advertise vehicles and tell you to get in to your northwest Ford store for example. I don't even live in the US and I know that :P

Now they will simply rely on dealers advertising their discounts on the product?

Yes, that would be the case if Ford was just giving ad money to dealers. They are providing funds and creative materials to DEALER ASSOCIATIONS. Like "Northland Ford Dealers", "Heartland Chevy Dealers", etc., etc.,

You have no desire to understand what is really going on here, do you? As this is about the umpteenth time on this thread I've explained about NATIONAL creative materials, and LOCAL ad buying.