Camaro Prototype Interior Shots

Mark B. Morrow

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds a whole lot like the discussion when we saw prepro interiors of the F-150 that looked equally horrid.

Not.

Perhaps when all the bits and pieces are put on and they use production materials, it will look a bit closer to this:

2006%20Chevrolet%20Camaro%20Interior%201-lg.jpg

Only problem there is....I thought the concept's interior was pretty horrendous too. And you just KNOW the media (and probably customers) are going to throw a hissy fit about the god-awful location of the secondary guages -- they are novel, but completely impractical. And look at that shifter surround (on the spy shot -- it actually looks decent on the concept). WTF? Even with a different texture or trim, that shift bezel looks incredibly cheap and "tacked on".

Edited by NickF1011

Only problem there is....I thought the concept's interior was pretty horrendous too. And you just KNOW the media (and probably customers) are going to throw a hissy fit about the god-awful location of the secondary guages -- they are novel, but completely impractical. And look at that shifter surround (on the spy shot -- it actually looks decent on the concept). WTF? Even with a different texture or trim, that shift bezel looks incredibly cheap and "tacked on".

I have to agree with you, GM tried too hard in copying the 60's Camaro interior design...somethings are better left in the past, esp when it comes to interior design from that time period. The Mustang might be "boring" but it has some of the design features of the earlier mustang, but not at the expense of modern ergonomic design.

LMAO :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Oh my gosh that was funny. Yes, nothing can beat the Mustang interior that looks like it fell straight from the bad taste tree right into a pile of boredom. I'd take the Camaro interior any day over that insult.

This from someone with a Jeep Wrangler on order.....:P

Edited by suv_guy_19

As usual, from transition from concept car to production car it looses and changes some things that you wouldn't want changed. I do see that it is preproduction and there is missing trim accross the top band of the dash. Some of the colors and textures of the trim are not correct or complete. The only things I see as heritage inspired is the squarish gauges which were not originally seperate pods sticking up at the top of the dash pad, and the rectangular gauges in the forward part of the console. They did a terrible job of trying to compact and stack all those rectangular gauges in the forward part of the console in a plac where it looks like they could not make them all fit correctly. It is at the point they lost their classic form and orientation and they should have given it up and abandoned it for a better placement higher up in the dash with the large main gauges. The center vents evidently grew too large and seperated from the top of the center stack and would probably look better intregrated into the large strip that runs across the upper face of the dash for a cleaner look.

The HVAC and sound system controls are now in a protruding alien node that oddly sticks out of the lower center of the dash and features inconsistant shapes and contours within it that looks like something from a boom box or clock radio of the late 80's or early 90s. The dash upon just first glance gives off the impression that it is a big chunk of thick one piece plastic that will creak and break like those of the 1982-92 Camaro. The steering wheel is odd and classically mishapped. I don't know what it is about the history of Camaro steering wheels since 1982 but they are never perfectly round with the hub always low of center and you notice when you turn the wheel that it is not round at all, but oblong.

I am fine with the exterior design as a classic but modern Camaro shape, but the interior just doesn't look cutting edge high tech sophisticated. It just looks like it was designed by a science fiction movie writer to appeal to early pubescent kids. And I'll agree to it also has the starkness of the Maverick dashboard as well.

It could be worse though. Ford could have made the Interceptor interior which just a stark as the Maverick's...

Edited by Watchdevil

No, but it can get that pricey. The Mustang doesn't start anywhere near 30000 either.

Actually Mustang pricing and Jeep pricing are pretty comparable given say V6 Mustang versus X Model jeep on up to Mustang GT as compared to Rubicon Jeep. But that's about it, once you get into Shelby, and GT 500 and the various myriad of specialty package Stangs that are well north of 30 grand you're out of Jeep terriroty. Additionally, a Jeep's interior is intended to be basic and rugged although I have driven a Sahara Unlimited that was complete with in dash GPS and what not. Still in all it's an interior that has to be able to get wet and nasty and still function because, . . . HELLO!! It's a Jeep. LOL A sports car is all about flare and sex appeal. It has to look like bikini models make love on the hood all the time. Sorry to say that Mustang interior belongs in a Jeep. LOL Actually I'm not sorry, Ford has been getting hounded about that cheap ass interior for a few years now and done nothing about it so they get what they deserve. Oh wait, I'm sorry, they added blue mood lighting. Uuuuuuuu.

Actually Mustang pricing and Jeep pricing are pretty comparable given say V6 Mustang versus X Model jeep on up to Mustang GT as compared to Rubicon Jeep. But that's about it, once you get into Shelby, and GT 500 and the various myriad of specialty package Stangs that are well north of 30 grand you're out of Jeep terriroty. Additionally, a Jeep's interior is intended to be basic and rugged although I have driven a Sahara Unlimited that was complete with in dash GPS and what not. Still in all it's an interior that has to be able to get wet and nasty and still function because, . . . HELLO!! It's a Jeep. LOL A sports car is all about flare and sex appeal. It has to look like bikini models make love on the hood all the time. Sorry to say that Mustang interior belongs in a Jeep. LOL Actually I'm not sorry, Ford has been getting hounded about that cheap ass interior for a few years now and done nothing about it so they get what they deserve. Oh wait, I'm sorry, they added blue mood lighting. Uuuuuuuu.

The Mustang is a sports car but not though. Its the jeep in its own Field. The GT500 is a special model. Its not really what i was referring too.

The Mustang is a sports car but not though. Its the jeep in its own Field. The GT500 is a special model. Its not really what i was referring too.

Regardless, it wouldn't have cost Ford any extra to put a little more appealing interior design in the Mustang. Hell the interior in the previous Mustang was better than this current one. It's just bland and straight and dull. Oh and there's too much cheap plastic in there, seriously, they could've put just a little better quality materials in a few places to enhance it some.

The Mustang is the Jeep in it's own field? hmmmmm I'm gonna remember that when I'm headed out across some field in my Jeep and thinking "Where are all the Mustang guys?" LOL

PS, the GT 500 may be a special model, but it still gets the same interior.

Edited by BlackHorse

Regardless, it wouldn't have cost Ford any extra to put a little more appealing interior design in the Mustang. Hell the interior in the previous Mustang was better than this current one. It's just bland and straight and dull. Oh and there's too much cheap plastic in there, seriously, they could've put just a little better quality materials in a few places to enhance it some.

The Mustang is the Jeep in it's own field? hmmmmm I'm gonna remember that when I'm headed out across some field in my Jeep and thinking "Where are all the Mustang guys?" LOL

LOL, I Meant is supposed to be rather spartan. I know neither of us like it (the Mustang) that way. I'm not even sure why I'm defending it. I don't really even like the interior lol. It would be really easy to fix for me however. That black part where the radio sits should be brought out and made more attractive.

There's a lot of things Ford should do with that interior but yes the entire center stack is one big thing they should address. Everything from the angle it departs the dash from, to the radio. The whole interior just looks like someone at Ford said. "Here's basic, generic interior idea A." and the suits said, "Fine, whatever, stick it in the car."

There's a lot of things Ford should do with that interior but yes the entire center stack is one big thing they should address. Everything from the angle it departs the dash from, to the radio. The whole interior just looks like someone at Ford said. "Here's basic, generic interior idea A." and the suits said, "Fine, whatever, stick it in the car."

Agreed...but I still think that the Camaro interior is disgusting.

Agreed...but I still think that the Camaro interior is disgusting.

It's pretty bad. I'm not at all sure how well thought out the whole idea of having the gas, temp, oil and battery guages down around the gear shift is. The only point I was making was the old "People in glass houses" thing.

Also, those two lower knobs on the radio unit are clearly D-Pads straight off an X-Box or Playstation control. No doubt which generation of buyer they were targeting with that.

Edited by BlackHorse

PS, the GT 500 may be a special model, but it still gets the same interior.

Eh, not quite the same. The GT500 has a leather dash cover, leather center console cover, and leather door panel appliques. Besides, the Mustang (and Camaro and all other pony cars for that matter) isn't SUPPOSED to have some garrish super-duper upscale interior. It is meant to be no-frills and functional, much like the Wrangler you are for some reason comparing it to. Yes, the materials could have been a bit nicer, but the layout and design is near perfect in my opinion. And then to say the SN95 interior is anywhere close to it in quality or design is freaking laughable. Yes, I do like the SN95's use of soft-touch surfaces more, but the fit and finish on them is pretty horrible, as are the ergonomics such as the narrow footwells, pedal placement, and worst of all - the shifter. Let us also not forget that from the spy pictures we've seen of the '10 Mustang, it appears to have a completely new dash.

Eh, not quite the same. The GT500 has a leather dash cover, leather center console cover, and leather door panel appliques. Besides, the Mustang (and Camaro and all other pony cars for that matter) isn't SUPPOSED to have some garrish super-duper upscale interior. It is meant to be no-frills and functional, much like the Wrangler you are for some reason comparing it to. Yes, the materials could have been a bit nicer, but the layout and design is near perfect in my opinion. And then to say the SN95 interior is anywhere close to it in quality or design is freaking laughable. Yes, I do like the SN95's use of soft-touch surfaces more, but the fit and finish on them is pretty horrible, as are the ergonomics such as the narrow footwells, pedal placement, and worst of all - the shifter. Let us also not forget that from the spy pictures we've seen of the '10 Mustang, it appears to have a completely new dash.

LOL, Yes of course, Nick!!! By God you can always count on the poster boy!!! LOL Nick if you don't know how or why the Wrangler interior in comparison to the Mustang interior came into the conversation then might I suggest you take some comprehension courses. lol No seriously, the whole point of the conversation with SUV was that although the new Camaro interior isn't that great to be sure, it is by no means any worse then the crappy interior they put in the Mustang so frankly we don't need to hear from the blue oval bunch about how bad the Camaro interior is when your own Pony car needs a lot of help in that department.

I like the Mustang interior design! Especially the retro dash. Still do after 2.5 years. The only thing I've complained about is the plastic material on the doors.

BTW it is "My Color"...a full color spectrum, and it's not just blue ambient lighting (I didn't bother with that option though).

I like the Mustang interior design! Especially the retro dash. Still do after 2.5 years. The only thing I've complained about is the plastic material on the doors.

BTW it is "My Color"...a full color spectrum, and it's not just blue ambient lighting (I didn't bother with that option though).

I wasn't referring to the "My Color" option.

LOL, Yep, there's nothing fancy at all about a Jeep interior. But then it's not a 30 thousand dollar sports car is it?

So its ok for a Jeep to have a cheap looking dash in it vs a Mustang having a cheap looking one? I don't get your logic...

There is nothing wrong with the current Mustang design outside of the materials and center stack, which part of Ford's part sharing with other cars...every other car besides the 08 Escape and Focus have the brick radio in it.