09 F150 revealed!!!

DMatt

It should be interesting to see how this new F150 sells. From my perspective, it shouldn't harm too much of the workaday market where people need truck efficiency to do their jobs. On the other hand, Ford keeps making their trucks visually look larger and larger. I don't think this will be helpful to many of those concerned with the price of fuel. If it looks large, it must not get great economy (or so people often think). Also, the lack of a new powertrain for efficiency (or power) is problematic when looking at the competition. I think the number of people who buy these things for commuting will gradually decline and it appears that Ford is doing nothing to redefine the market. I would have been surprised if they did though given Ford's penchant for conservative designs (especially) for products that seemingly sell well already - but this logic is exactly why the Explorer sales have dropped as far as they have.

Again with the Explorer. yeah, the Explorer is bland and even a little ugly, but that has almost nothing to do with the decline. People has simply left the market. That is evidenced by the fact that the Explorer is still the best selling BOF SUV. There isn't much of a market left. That is why Ford is leaving the market.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um..Richard, the 1948 F-1 certainly had a BOX but that didn't mean the rest of the vehicle had to be designed with a straight edge. And those round early fifties Ford truck were definately beautiful.

Who knows, in 60 years the 2009 F150 might be beautiful if they keep designing trucks like they do now. All of the current models could use some changes in their looks. The Dodge Ram Box looks like a nice idea but what about people with toppers? Ford vehicles are starting to get what I would call a shoe box design with rounded off corners and edges. Wish the designers could actually design a vehicle that looked appealing.

Stan

It should be interesting to see how this new F150 sells. From my perspective, it shouldn't harm too much of the workaday market where people need truck efficiency to do their jobs. On the other hand, Ford keeps making their trucks visually look larger and larger. I don't think this will be helpful to many of those concerned with the price of fuel. If it looks large, it must not get great economy (or so people often think). Also, the lack of a new powertrain for efficiency (or power) is problematic when looking at the competition. I think the number of people who buy these things for commuting will gradually decline and it appears that Ford is doing nothing to redefine the market. I would have been surprised if they did though given Ford's penchant for conservative designs (especially) for products that seemingly sell well already - but this logic is exactly why the Explorer sales have dropped as far as they have.

I agree with what you're saying. Commuter sales will drop off. If the only customers left are people who need a truck, that'll cut their market in half right there. And the styling (and sizing) trend is doing nothing - either practically or symbolically - to address that commuter market in the face of rising fuel prices.

There's an updated Detroit News article posted online with links to several pics from an autoshow practice and a couple of videos. (See the links in the 'Related Articles' box on the lower right of the screen.)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/801120454

Here's another article:

http://jalopnik.com/344143/detroit-auto-sh...ics-and-details

I agree, while the storage box is a nice thing to have it does look awkward. The front is ugly too.

I'm just not impressed with the whole truck over all. It looks very dated. The Box system takes up a great deal of bed space, and I'm a little iffy on the rear suspension. Also, from what I hear, there has been no increase in towing or hauling.

There's an updated Detroit News article posted online with links to several pics from an autoshow practice and a couple of videos. (See the links in the 'Related Articles' box on the lower right of the screen.)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/801120454

I think this line sums it all up.

"Retooling this top selling pickup is a difficult task. But the 2009 F-150 hits the mark -- inside and out."

I'm also glad to see that the seats are now 10-way power along with the heated AND cooling functions (first for a truck I believe). To me a truck would be one of the vehicles you'd want A/C seats in.

I'm just not impressed with the whole truck over all. It looks very dated. The Box system takes up a great deal of bed space, and I'm a little iffy on the rear suspension. Also, from what I hear, there has been no increase in towing or hauling.

I noticed that the 'RAM BOX' took up bed space as well.

you guys are saying theres nothing new and you didnt even look yet :doh:

Check this out http://media.ford.com/events/2009FordF150Kit.pdf

The new truck has a general 1 mpg increase over the previous trucks, the refreshed engines will have more power, the 6 speed will help a lot, new engines (diesel, ecoboost, 6.2l?) will be out by 2010, and if you do a bit of investigating youll see that there are tones of awesome new features, side of bed step, rear bed step, fold up seats, more storage, Sync, the audio system, and theres a bunch more that I dont feel like listing. Its all at that link. Get all the info b4 you denounce the new truck. Also the link shows the different models.

BTW the only thing that looks diff on the "new" Ram on the exterior is that they raised the hood....so yeah... the new Ram looks the same.

Oh and the new Chevy is just as boxy as the new F150. So idk what ur talking about when you say the F150 looks "bland". It has more style than any truck out there. Whoever said that rlly needs to looks at more than one pic b4 they go around saying it is "bland".

The new truck has a general 1 mpg increase over the previous trucks, the refreshed engines will have more power, the 6 speed will help a lot, new engines (diesel, ecoboost, 6.2l?) will be out by 2010, and if you do a bit of investigating youll see that there are tones of awesome new features, side of bed step, rear bed step, fold up seats, more storage, Sync, the audio system, and theres a bunch more that I dont feel like listing. Its all at that link. Get all the info b4 you denounce the new truck. Also the link shows the different models.

BTW the only thing that looks diff on the "new" Ram on the exterior is that they raised the hood....so yeah... the new Ram looks the same.

Oh and the new Chevy is just as boxy as the new F150. So idk what ur talking about when you say the F150 looks "bland". It has more style than any truck out there. Whoever said that rlly needs to looks at more than one pic b4 they go around saying it is "bland".

LOL, I have an ally. I love this new truck. The first picture made me say yuck, but it was simply a bad picture. There is no truck with as many features as the Platinum and no truck with as great of capacity as the F150. I think it will be a very good entry.

After looking at all the pictures, if they can't find on that you don't like, then they must be blind. It has so much to offer.

LOL, I have an ally. I love this new truck. The first picture made me say yuck, but it was simply a bad picture. There is no truck with as many features as the Platinum and no truck with as great of capacity as the F150. I think it will be a very good entry.

After looking at all the pictures, if they can't find on that you don't like, then they must be blind. It has so much to offer.

I agree, I know I've said this several times, but it's a great looking truck.

Im impressed with all the convieniet features they added. I like the looks of the XLT and the FX4 the best i think. Based off the pics so far at least. I hope they release more info on the new engines tomorrow. I heard theyre still working on the HLA. It would be great if they mentioned it lol. It would make my day :) lol

Edited by ray101988

Im impressed with all the convieniet features they added. I like the looks of the XLT and the FX4 the best i think. Based off the pics so far at least. I hope they release more info on the new engines tomorrow. I heard theyre still working on the HLA. It would be great if they mentioned it lol. It would make my day :P lol

Started off disliking the Platinum because of that picture. I like to make a statement though, so I really like that truck from what I see now..

Edited by suv_guy_19

It's

a

truck.

It actually has, as part of its design, something called a BOX.

Maybe you could buy a Lobo from Ford Mexico; it's the 97-04 non-box F150.

yep...but they should have gotten more adventurous....they broke the mould with the curvy ( 97-04 ) set all sorts of sales records and they seem to heve regressed....truck will no doubt be a tour de-force and handsome in the flesh...but stylistically this to me is initially a let down...they could have pushed the envelope a little more...pretty conservative IMO

The new truck has a general 1 mpg increase over the previous trucks, the refreshed engines will have more power...

1mpg and 10 HP?? Do you really think that is a "noteworthy" improvement?

Meanwhile little 'ol Dodge over there gets a 35HP increase, a 29 Ft.-Lb. of torque increase and a 5% increase in fuel economy.

GO FORD!!!!!