Driving like it's 1968? Give me a break.

SVT_MAN

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...topanel..2.*#20

They also say this:

Forget the insane prices they've been attracting at Barrett-Jackson; the original Shelby GT500s from '67 and '68 are among the most overrated muscle cars of all time. They were Mustangs with oversize (not particularly powerful) cop car engines and half-baked suspension tuning covered in aggressive decoration.

:finger:

I am from the camp that the GT-500 is an awesome looking car with a too-heavy engine that hinders its handling ability. But, I do not believe for a minute that this car handles as poorly as a car from 1968, nor that the 1968 GT-500 is an overrated muscle car.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They also say this:

I am from the camp that the GT-500 is an awesome looking car with a too-heavy engine that hinders its handling ability. But, I do not believe for a minute that this car handles as poorly as a car from 1968, nor that the 1968 GT-500 is an overrated muscle car.

STupidMustang.jpg

Time to ditch that ancient live axle.

they are 100% correct about the overrated aspect of the early shelbys//cop motors they were and the prices people pay for 45 yeard old juk is asnine..i would take a new gt500 any day of the week...as for as the live axle goes...yea i would like IRS unit..but live axle is cheap and nostalgic so i can live with it

you obviously have no idea about vacum tubes...they can handle gobs and gobs of power...far more then solid state crap..the black and white tv...well you have have enuff intelligence to get that one right...now what part of i can live with live axle dont you understand...would i like IRS unit.hell yes......screw drag racing..who cares....all the local tracks closed up 25 years ago

They also say this:

What sort of price do the old Classic Ford make at auctions in the States.

European Classic RWD cars are going for silly money now

http://world-amazing-facts.blogspot.com/20...ver-136000.html

http://www.usauction.info/2005/10/30/late-...lls-at-auction/

I can't ever see any FWD Focus shitbox ever making more than a few dollars as scrap metal in 20 years from now, that if it is possible that one will ever last that long.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

oh..so its the reference to shelbys being shit 45 years ago and bringing asnine prices today.....edmunds really is not too far from the truth on that...owners of the cars just get sore when somebody throws the crap right back in their face (hell the arrogance of shelby owners (saac comes to mind) is laughable)..kinda funny really to watch em squirm..go edmunds

So are Black and white TVs and Vacuum tubes.

Vacuum tubes aren't necessarily cheap. How about a matched pair of Western electric 300Bs - the finest audio tube ever made - for $849.00? I suggest you get yourself into a super high-end audio store and have a taste. It will disabuse you of your notions about vacuum tubes. Not to brag, but Retro-man's own vacuum tube stereo (made in the U.S.A.) will knock your socks off. And it ain't just nostalgia.

I have my own opinions of the car (them being a poor follow up to the awesome Terminator Cobras and an overall let down), but the whole review was one whiney bitch fest. Complaining that they got 14.8 mpg out of it is that bad? The Ferrari 430 they mentioned in the sidebar i bet will never average that. Nor do many other 500 hp cars. Hell, i bet the Vette is the only other one that can beat that. Them complaining about the small trunk is worthless too. most convertibles have shit for trunk space to begin with.

For every handling nut that wants IRS in a Mustang, there's a drag racer that loves having a solid axle. Possibly two, even.

And if you're so stupid that you can't get your/you're straight, just shut up already!

Control blade IRs has been out for 5 years, plenty of street driven Falcon turbos turning low 10's

down here, suggest you shut up and learn something new!

retro man is wise...who youlda thunk 40 years after the fact people would be seeking vacumn tube stereos....vacumn tube stereos are like richard simmons on steroids..if people only knew how screwed they are when they talk up the japanese solid state crap..then of course they ramble on about THC-total harmonic distortion..at that point i just give up..laugh...and walk away..there is no talking to such an idiot

Vacuum tubes aren't necessarily cheap. How about a matched pair of Western electric 300Bs - the finest audio tube ever made - for $849.00? I suggest you get yourself into a super high-end audio store and have a taste. It will disabuse you of your notions about vacuum tubes. Not to brag, but Retro-man's own vacuum tube stereo (made in the U.S.A.) will knock your socks off. And it ain't just nostalgia.

What's the difference between the

KT88-2 Genalex Gold Lion KT88 Matched Pair $800.00

and the KT-88's sold by http://thetubestore.com/kt8890100types.html

which run from $47 to #110 per pair?

They also say this:

some one hates the mustang.............

STupidMustang.jpg

Whoever wrote that stupid graphic needs to go back to grammar school. They obviously never learned the difference between your and you are.

By the way, the Shelby's biggest problem has nothing to do with its rear axle. The biggest problem is that the front of the car is so heavy that it makes the car a pig. It's too heavy. Still, Edmunds.com was far too critical of the car.

What sort of price do the old Classic Ford make at auctions in the States.

European Classic RWD cars are going for silly money now

http://world-amazing-facts.blogspot.com/20...ver-136000.html

http://www.usauction.info/2005/10/30/late-...lls-at-auction/

I can't ever see any FWD Focus shitbox ever making more than a few dollars as scrap metal in 20 years from now, that if it is possible that one will ever last that long.

Point taken about the Focus - but the Pope could have driven a craptacular Kia and it would have sold for big money ... it's kind of like how Eminem's V6 Mustang sold for huge money even though it was a highly average car.

I have my own opinions of the car (them being a poor follow up to the awesome Terminator Cobras and an overall let down), but the whole review was one whiney bitch fest. Complaining that they got 14.8 mpg out of it is that bad? The Ferrari 430 they mentioned in the sidebar i bet will never average that. Nor do many other 500 hp cars. Hell, i bet the Vette is the only other one that can beat that. Them complaining about the small trunk is worthless too. most convertibles have shit for trunk space to begin with.

I couldn't agree more. I think the GT-500 is a poor execution. They should not have put a 5.4L in the car. In fact, their goal shouldn't have even been 500 horsepower. They should have made a nice balanced car like SVT has always been famous for in the past instead. I would have much rather seen them make a nice 400 horsepower car with a supercharged 4.6L DOHC engine that ran circles around the 500 hp pig. Still, the car is not as bad as Edmunds.com's review is.

Is it just me, or does edmunds.com get more incompetent every year? When they first came out, I rather enjoyed their reviews. Now, they just plain suck.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Whoever wrote that stupid graphic needs to go back to grammar school. They obviously never learned the difference between your and you are.

By the way, the Shelby's biggest problem has nothing to do with its rear axle. The biggest problem is that the front of the car is so heavy that it makes the car a pig. It's too heavy. Still, Edmunds.com was far too critical of the car.

Point taken about the Focus - but the Pope could have driven a craptacular Kia and it would have sold for big money ... it's kind of like how Eminem's V6 Mustang sold for huge money even though it was a highly average car.

I couldn't agree more. I think the GT-500 is a poor execution. They should not have put a 5.4L in the car. In fact, their goal shouldn't have even been 500 horsepower. They should have made a nice balanced car like SVT has always been famous for in the past instead. I would have much rather seen them make a nice 400 horsepower car with a supercharged 4.6L DOHC engine that ran circles around the 500 hp pig.

there is also no space between GT and 500.....it's GT500 or GT-500

also i have seen a lot of graphics that use that type of style and that one looks like it was made by a 10 year old.......maybe P71 since he always has one for a Mustang

Is it just me, or does edmunds.com get more incompetent every year? When they first came out, I rather enjoyed their reviews. Now, they just plain suck.

if you go back and read the review of the Terminator Cobra, they seemed to like it aside from the interior and that they thought it was a porker (it was ONLY 3700 lbs).

Of course, it had to be the IRS ;)

I couldn't agree more. I think the GT-500 is a poor execution. They should not have put a 5.4L in the car. In fact, their goal shouldn't have even been 500 horsepower. They should have made a nice balanced car like SVT has always been famous for in the past instead. I would have much rather seen them make a nice 400 horsepower car with a supercharged 4.6L DOHC engine that ran circles around the 500 hp pig. Still, the car is not as bad as Edmunds.com's review is.

Sometimes when l look back in the past it gives me hope for the future, Ford's 1970's Zakspeed Capri's show just what you can do with small engines demanded by greenies for the future. If you can cut the weight down by using composites like Kevlar etc, the Zakspeed Capri managed to get 500 BHP and 170 MPH from a small 1400cc engine way back in the 70's, so it can be done in the future so the performance car is far from dead. Ford need to come up with something new and original, they could turbocharge small engines and call it ecoboost?

http://www.geocities.com/zakcapriturbo/tech.html

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

What's the difference between the

KT88-2 Genalex Gold Lion KT88 Matched Pair $800.00

and the KT-88's sold by http://thetubestore.com/kt8890100types.html

which run from $47 to #110 per pair?

[Pardon the temporary side-track] I don't know about those specific tubes. The output tubes on my amp are EL34s. I have had Teslas, Sovteks, and Svetlanas in there. They all sound a bit different. I like the Svetlanas best. For years I thought my pre-amp was a piece of crap, until I took out the no-name Yugoslavian tubes that were in there originally and re-tubed with Svetlanas. Wow! It made my LPs sound like they've never sounded. It put the bass in the basement, and the vocals center-stage and front. So yeah, there can be a tremendous difference between different tubes. Single-ended 300B amps are the holy grail, and the Western Electric 300B I linked to (unchanged since around 1935 I think) is the best 300B. I can't afford to go there though, and what I've got is more than good enough. [/sidetrack]

[quote name='P71_CrownVic' post='289512' date='Jan 17 2008, 10:39

Did you just say that? LOL...talk about pot calling the kettle black. Get real.

And that guy at Edmunds is the biggest dipshit of all time. He probably has a mullet too.

And to all you nay sayers on the GT500:

1. It will roast your Term

2. It out handle and out brake your Term

3. Don't blame the car or Ford for the price. Blame your greedy dealer

4. Its a bargain when you compare it to the Srt8 Challenger

5. Wake up children, its not a lot heavier than your Term. The New Edge cobra guys I'm sure are laughing at Term owners calling the GT500 a pig.

Its just a better car than the Terminator...get over it.

Edited by atomaro