New york's next Taxi cab

Biker16

My first thoughts are diesel or hybrid or whatever crown vic.

I saw the picture of the mini transit and went AHH! Then I got used to it and I think it would be perfect.

A car or a minivan for a taxi? EVERYBODY would choose a minivan as a consumer.(more room/more comfortable/bigger payload/etc)

So, for a massive fleet? I'd go with something that the consumer won't be bothered by/easy to maintain/economical.

Having a fleet of mini's would piss off every person you picked up because they don't care if it's cute they want to load their crap and get to where they're going.

Having a 5 ton truck fleet would piss off people because the payload is too big/not comfortable/too high to crawl up into/inconvenient)

Having a tall roomy "minivan" like the mini transit would be perfect. Low step in/lots of room/comfortable for the consumer and comfortable/roomy/economical for the cabbie.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

couple things...

The Mazda5 is being demoed as a dual fuel Gas/Hydrogen by Mazda as we carry on this conversation. Its the next gen version of the Bi-fuel setup in that Experimental RX-8. Its MUCH more powerful and more efficient to boot. May not need hybrid as hydrogen fueling for a base operated cab fleet wouldn't be too terribly difficult. (a tempting terrorist target, maybe).

As for random vehicles as cabs, we've got everything in New Orleans. Seems old suburbans are very popular, as are Chevy Astros and other modern minivans. There is at least one V-10 excursion cab around here too, if you can believe they make any money at all with it.

I drive a Transit Connect at work since I moved to London from Canada a few months ago. Its a sweet little truck. Very space efficient. Handles well and has a nice drive train, I've driven both diesel and gas versions. These of course are the panel truck versions, so i dunno how the passenger section would be in terms of space. I'm pretty sure its based on the focus platform to give you an idea.

All that said, i'm a big fan of the CV, and i'd like to see it updated into something designed specifically for the taxi role, and maybe a slightly different version of that for cops. And the design should definitely take into account the typical drive cycle of a cab or cop car, lots of stop/starting and sitting around idling... ie make it a hybrid!!

SysEng's 'perfect car' is fading fast. Today, Mulally said he would make further cuts if needed. Panther will probably end up a fleet only product. Town Cars for livery, PI's for police, and maybe some Grand Marqs for the dying off old farts.

As long as I can still order my next Grand Marquis from the factory, I don't care if I'm the last one in line to buy one. I figure I have about 40 years of driving left.

Ballyhooing for Volvo is a 'Ford' thing? Personally I think all Volvos are absolute garbage based on years of experience with many a used nightmare. SAAB's too for that matter. You have to be an idiot to buy from either brand.

Wow. I had a 1990 240 till 2001 when it was totaled. Same with my 94 850, it was totaled in 2003. No problems with either.

My wife and I just visited Manhattan this past weekend and saw many vans, but lots of other junk too. TIt wouldn't matter what any vehilce looked like in NYC. If people whistle for or flag down a cab, they just want one when they want it. The Ford Euro style van would work fine. We rode in a Transit on the way to the Edinburgh airport and they are very comfortable and capable. Open your minds and the see the future. It's not all or any of what you see in front of you.

Edited by 156n3rd

Over in Europe, the United Kingdom and the rest of the planet, shapes like this are all over the road. From vans to people movers (as mini-vans are called), the shapes are new to us. Sometimes, they may seem totally foreign to us, but this is where their marketing has gone. The U.S. is like meat & potato consumers such as pick-ups, suv's and sedans. Overseas they have many more models available and many more manufacturers to choose from, we are being short-changed. Take what Chrysler has done. They have over-built the Jeep line, and under built cars as are needed here. Gasoline is still unstable worldwide. There is too much competition for the product that's there, and it is there. Oil companies have made so much profit from us, they could send their office staffs home for a long, long vacation! The U.S. of A. needs better engineered, smaller and much more efficient vehicles that will include common rail and direct injection systems for gas and diesel. They need to be in new shapes to accomdate the needed ergonomics sadly missing in some of our cars. Again, I'll mention Chrysler. The Dodge Avenger is the most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. It even surpasses my wife's 1992 Saturn SL2, which is too low, too narrow and just plain uncomfortable. Just go on line and look at any European car maker and see what they get to drive. Small, fast, powerful and excellent on fuel economy. Yeeesh! :gang: