New york's next Taxi cab

Biker16

WKA2002062840573_pv.jpg

imagine this in yellow, powered by the Gen II Escape hybrids Drivetrain.

why not.

Here's the thing about Taxis, you're not buying the cab, just a ride in it. Most people could not care less what it looks like as long as it gets them to their destination in reasonable comfort. Cabbies care about Room, Reliability and Fuel Efficiency. A cab only makes money if it's on the road. The recent stories about the Escape Hybrids in NYC report that the Hybrid is very popular with drivers and the public. I see no reason to believe that this would not be a huge success in a Hybrid version. Hybrids are ideal for the city driving common to many cabs, especially in New York.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many times do you even see a cab in South Dakota? LOL

Based on my very limited knowlege of South Dakota, I dated a woman from there once, I would guess the answer is seldom.

RJ, how big is the Transit compared to the Crown Vic in terms of "Footprint"? Height probably isn't an issue in New York the amount of ground space it takes up is more important. The other advantage to the Transit is that it would be fairly easy to make it handicap accessable. Also ride sharing was popular last time I was in NYC.

Based on my very limited knowlege of South Dakota, I dated a woman from there once, I would guess the answer is seldom.

RJ, how big is the Transit compared to the Crown Vic in terms of "Footprint"? Height probably isn't an issue in New York the amount of ground space it takes up is more important. The other advantage to the Transit is that it would be fairly easy to make it handicap accessable. Also ride sharing was popular last time I was in NYC.

I see 'em often enough. After all, I do live on a paved street. And the last stagecoach that left on the ol' Yankton run done took off pert-near a dozen years ago when they finally paved the roads into the state.

I could tell you stories about the nights we used to sit out on the front porch shooting mosquitoes as big as bats ('course maybe they wuz bats?) with my pappy's squirrel rifle.....

---

But seriously, I don't see how this would be cheaper than a Crown Vic (the two are roughly the same size). You drive it practically standing up (unless they've changed that), and even though height would seem to be a non issue, it would be an issue for other drivers and pedestrians. Can you imagine 13,000 of them driving around NYC?

And like I said, how often is there more than two people in a cab?

And BTW, I've been to NYC. Loved it. Would NOT want to live there.

I could tell you stories about the nights we used to sit out on the front porch shooting mosquitoes as big as bats ('course maybe they wuz bats?) with my pappy's squirrel rifle.....

Throw in a beer and some grilled steaks and I'm there. LOL

Ok, all seriousness now. The Crow Vic is out!!!!!! Case closed, end of fire!!! It's over!!! It's done!!!! It's yesterday!!!!! Kapeesh?

They will replace it with things like this Transit, or the Escape. PERIOD!!!! OVER!!!!! GONE!!!! LOL

Well that should settle that.

I think a Transit is overkill.

How many times is there more than two people in a cab?

this is transit connect not the full sized transit.

WKA2003031833763_pv.jpg

WKA2002062840235_pv.jpg

78in tall

178in long

70in wide

115in wheelbase

3400lbs

it is roomy, and compact.

perfect for NYC

since this is a Real truck it would be easy to say... move the rear seat back 6-12in for more leg room or a bullet proof partition to protect the driver. Durability is not a concern, it a truck designed to handle 1765lbs of cargo. this is ford best hope to command the Taxi market in this country. And because htis ia business product there would be no erosion of brand image,because of it's dual use as a taxicab.

The escape hybrid

Wheelbase 103.1

Length 174.7

Width 71.1

Height 67.7

3,638lbs FWD

FWD 34/30 mpg

base Escape 3254lbs

Edited by Biker16

It's over 6' tall.

I see that being a problem in this market:

Also, does this have the 'stand up' seating position of the Sprinter & Transit?

have you ever been to NYC? over 6' is not a problem.

It does have the upright seating position. but a very low step in height.

Thanks for the info Biker.

I agree that the Connect would be a great cab, It's only 3.3" longer than an Escape and an inch narrower. It has to be small compared to the Crown Vic. I would love to see one in person. I don't know anything about how comfortable to drive. A tall driver position might be a safety advantage for cabbies. Not planning a European vacation anytime soon, especially with the Dollar as low as it is. Is there a Hybrid in the works?

The problem with the Prius is the tiny trunk. They are worthless for airport duty. With NYC mandating a more efficient hack fleet this would be an ideal market for Ford to dominate. Once the cabs become the standard, it would become a big seller. There is no problem with diluting the resale market since a lot of cabs are driven to death. Pennsylvania brands the titles of cars used as Taxis as I am sure most states do.

have you ever been to NYC? over 6' is not a problem.

It does have the upright seating position. but a very low step in height.

Yes. I've been to NYC. During the time I was there, I walked from 101st & West End to Grand Central, from 14th Street to Wall Street, then across the Brooklyn Bridge and down Columbia Heights.

One thing that I can translate for you, is that a street full of, essentially, delivery vans would make a pedestrian's life a lot more difficult. Unless you think that everybody in New York crosses at the corners and with the lights.

It would be flat rejected as far too different. A fleet of hybrid Escapes might ease the transition, but with the Transit Connect you're asking people to go from wearing jeans and sneakers to a brand new tuxedo and those lousy plastic rental shoes that come with it. Sure, you could get used to it in time, but nobody's going to be eager to switch--except people that want to show off.

Yes. I've been to NYC. During the time I was there, I walked from 101st & West End to Grand Central, from 14th Street to Wall Street, then across the Brooklyn Bridge and down Columbia Heights.

One thing that I can translate for you, is that a street full of, essentially, delivery vans would make a pedestrian's life a lot more difficult. Unless you think that everybody in New York crosses at the corners and with the lights.

It would be flat rejected as far too different. A fleet of hybrid Escapes might ease the transition, but with the Transit Connect you're asking people to go from wearing jeans and sneakers to a brand new tuxedo and those lousy plastic rental shoes that come with it. Sure, you could get used to it in time, but nobody's going to be eager to switch--except people that want to show off.

pedestrians.. hey would you prefer that driver sitting down in thier cars or siting high in an all glass greenhouse.

agian I don't see a problem we already have minvans for taxis in NYC.

this thing is only 178 in long or 3 inches longer than th focus, and ~ 30inches shorter than the CV.

pedestrians.. hey would you prefer that driver sitting down in thier cars or siting high in an all glass greenhouse.

agian I don't see a problem we already have minvans for taxis in NYC.

this thing is only 178 in long or 3 inches longer than th focus, and ~ 30inches shorter than the CV.

Regarding your question, I'd rather, all things being equal, be able to see the WHOLE street without having to step out into the middle of it, instead of standing on the sidewalk trying to see through the line of cabs waiting at the curb.

I'm telling you, this is just too foreign for cabbies. And pedestrians.

Regarding your question, I'd rather, all things being equal, be able to see the WHOLE street without having to step out into the middle of it, instead of standing on the sidewalk trying to see through the line of cabs waiting at the curb.

I'm telling you, this is just too foreign for cabbies. And pedestrians.

I understand.

How about cabs in other countries like London?

those black taxis are very tall. the biggest issue there is Americans looking the wrong way and getting creamed.

Edited by Biker16

How about cabs in other countries like London?

Haven't been there.

Although a reference to "pedestrians darting out into traffic" once put me in mind of a Monty Python sketch that never got filmed because, apparently, I thought of it about 25 years after the show went off the air.

Anyway, it would be a discussion, nature documentary style, of the "pedestrian" as a furtive and elusive squirrelesque creature that 'darts' out into traffic. Image going with that would be John Cleese in his "Ministry of Silly Walks" garb doing his best to look like a squirrel while running around in traffic--bounding out from a crouching position between cars, stopping in traffic and running a couple different directions before choosing to finish crossing the street.

In fact, the 'pedestrian' would be shown to be some sort of human squirrel, eating squirrel style while perched on a curb, etc.

Possibly the commentator would finish by speculating that the 'pedestrian' is actually some sort of evolved squirrel, but that might make the joke entirely too obvious.

---

Basically, I'm assuming since that's always the way things have been in London, there's not the adjustment for natives that would come with replacing the NYC fleet with vehicles that are probably 2-1/2' taller.

Edited by RichardJensen

The CV has already inherited the mantle of the dearly departed Checker Marathon. The question is what will inherit the mantle next.

It's a shame Ford can't do something iconic like the Checker again for New York, aerodynamics play next to no part in New York. If they made the Checker type taxi again and made it using modern lighter materials, coupled together with one of Fords small HDI/Hybrid/LPG engines that are used in Europe it could make a modern day Checker viable. Which would be a tourist attraction for New York again. Why is it nobody can be bothered to make it work?

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2006-05-02/white-crownvic

Ford/Peugeot HDI/Hybrid combined drive cycle 83 MPG (69 MPG US)

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08/29/fr...308-hybrid-hdi/

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds