HERE IS THE GAME CHANGER!

Furious1Auto

They're both great computers, and they both get the job done.

Regardless of operating system, you can avoid a ton of grief by simply buying a second hard-drive.

For 20 years, I have kept data, job files, font masters, pictures, etc on one drive, call it D:, and the operating system and software on the other, or C: drive. Sure, lightning can strike, but meantime-to-failure of today's hardrives is probably around 50,000 hours. Operationally, the D: drive (or whatever) spends its time asleep, while the poor C: drive gets the shit kicked out of it, because regardless of how much RAM you have, it seems the OS always has to get something from C:

One trick that can be useful is to create a RAM-drive on boot-up that swap-files can be written to.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people look at mac like it's toyota....they believe it is god's gift to us

in reality its all marketing and they really suck compared to a comparably fitted PC for the same price or even less

plus i play games like there is no tomorrow and from past experiences with their PC's.....they suck, and so do iPods, most MP3's players with the same amount of memory offer so much more stuff along with it for usually less.....its all marketing....

ok back on topic, they should have different types of customizations for different vehicles, i know they have this already with Ford Racing Parts but like with the Mustang their are dealer options for S/C or Turbos, suspension upgrades, tranmission etc....for the F-150 there can be lifts and of-road tires with small rims that still look good, offer different differentials, lower gears, suspension, some engine performance upgrades but not as much as the mustang(it would be nice though) etc....

how about interior customizations?

people look at mac like it's toyota....they believe it is god's gift to us

in reality its all marketing and they really suck compared to a comparably fitted PC for the same price or even less

plus i play games like there is no tomorrow and from past experiences with their PC's.....they suck, and so do iPods, most MP3's players with the same amount of memory offer so much more stuff along with it for usually less.....its all marketing....

ok back on topic, they should have different types of customizations for different vehicles, i know they have this already with Ford Racing Parts but like with the Mustang their are dealer options for S/C or Turbos, suspension upgrades, tranmission etc....for the F-150 there can be lifts and of-road tires with small rims that still look good, offer different differentials, lower gears, suspension, some engine performance upgrades but not as much as the mustang(it would be nice though) etc....

how about interior customizations?

Nobody in Europe holds Toyota in very a high esteem, nobody thinks of them as Gods gift it's more like "Jap Crap". You say you like playing a lot of games, Windows is not not all that, l hear lots of folk complaining over here that they have to spend days trying to get their old games up and running on Windows Vista, most don't run on Vista at all, and even a lot of old hardware does not work with Vista thats before you even get onto the subject of Direct X upgrades Video Cards etc, why don't you just buy an X-Box and save yourself all the problems and expense, and at least you can run Windows on a Mac which stays current for a lot longer.

We've had some complaints about use of the word "Jap"...

BTW, I'm typing this on a Mac. I love OS X, and think Apple are fools not to separate the OS from the hardware. I don't like Apple's hardware pricing, and I am not fond of their "gouge the faithful for a $120 software upgrade every year" update strategy for OS X.

But I'm here to tell you, OS X is, in my experience, so superior to Windows that there is simply no comparison between the two. Unix is by far a superior OS platform, and Apple's interface is the only Unix interface that is worth paying for.

Nobody in Europe holds Toyota in very a high esteem, nobody thinks of them as Gods gift it's more like "Jap Crap". You say you like playing a lot of games, Windows is not not all that, l hear lots of folk complaining over here that they have to spend days trying to get their old games up and running on Windows Vista, most don't run on Vista at all, and even a lot of old hardware does not work with Vista thats before you even get onto the subject of Direct X upgrades Video Cards etc, why don't you just buy an X-Box and save yourself all the problems and expense, and at least you can run Windows on a Mac which stays current for a lot longer.

i will agree....vista sucks

about the toyota-mac thing, i was talking USA

but back on topic

BTW, I'm typing this on a Mac. I love OS X, and think Apple are fools not to separate the OS from the hardware. I don't like Apple's hardware pricing, and I am not fond of their "gouge the faithful for a $120 software upgrade every year" update strategy for OS X.

But I'm here to tell you, OS X is, in my experience, so superior to Windows that there is simply no comparison between the two. Unix is by far a superior OS platform, and Apple's interface is the only Unix interface that is worth paying for.

The name "Jap Crap" is not aimed at people Richard it's aimed at their cars, sorry if it offends but it is well understood term in the UK.

Although the Accessorizer is horribly misspelled and not even a word, neither is normalcy...

If it's not even a word, how can it be horribly misspelled?

BTW:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/normalcy

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/normalcy

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/normalcy

:shades:

G48150 FTW!!!! :happy feet:

Edited by TomServo92

We customize cars all the time and include it in the payment, since when is this new? The idea was quite fresh in the 1960's with some dealer customized cars being worth 3 times or more then even the perfect all-factory ones(think Yenko Camaros)....We do body kits, wheels, custom leather, exhaust, FRPP parts, CDC parts like shakers and glassbacks, whatever, all the time.

Oh, and I play a ton of games on my home computer so a Mac is pretty much worthless. It is funny watching how defensive and protective Mac people get, its like listening to Canadians... :stop:

Edited by kevinb120

I'm looking through a 1964 Ford Owner's Manual which has 6 pages of dealer installed accessories to Personalize Your New Ford, including;

*Deluxe Rear Deck Antenna - mounts in the center of the deck lid

*StudioSonic Reverb

*Bumper Guards

*Fender skirts

*Spot Light with Mirror

*Chrome Engine dress-up Kit

*High Performance 3-2bbl Kit

*Dash mounted Tach

*Lake Pipes

"Experience the thrill of sports car performance plus a rich throaty roar from these Ford Lake Pipes. They're easily installed to the exhaust system. Protruding pipe-ends are heavily chromed to provide a customized styling accent" The best part- the photo has them installed on a 4 door Galaxie.

Many of the other accessories are standard today like windshield washers, back-up lights, outside rear view mirrors, seat belts and parking brake warning light.

The Mustangs had a whole catalog of accessories and was marketed as "The car designed to be designed by you".

Its not a new idea but it is a good one.

Oh, and I play a ton of games on my home computer so a Mac is pretty much worthless. It is funny watching how defensive and protective Mac people get, its like listening to Canadians... :stop:

While I don't own a Mac (yet) a computer is a tool and if your conferable using a certain type of tool, why should you bash someone using a socket on a bolt vs a closed end wrench? Both do the same job for the most part and one might have advantages over the other, much like a PC might have over Mac or vise versa.

I'm forced to use Linux at work and I really don't care for it, since I can use Windows (and its a bit more intuitive when figuring out new programs, since the look and feel is very similar from program to program) to do the same thing (if the program was written for it)...it all boils down to personal preference, just like having a 5/6 Speed over a Automatic.

no its not

Begging your pardon, but it is. It is the 'default' American derogatory reference to someone Japanese. The fact that it remains marginally more acceptable socially than "kike" or the n-word doesn't change the negative slant.

Think about it this way: Would it be acceptable to speak of "my jap girlfriend"? Would that show any smaller degree of disrespect than, say, "my kike girlfriend", "my gook girlfriend", etc.?

The term dehumanizes the target and that is exactly why it exists.

The difference is in the new offering of options and the manufacturers whilingness to license these parts and buy them in such a bulk so that the dealer can offer them to the public at a fair price while turning a profit on parts and labor charges. I've been to the dealers in recent years and they don't offer any attractive upgrades without laying the pipe to you because of what they have to pay someone else to do the installs, and they are certainly not offered unless upon request. Ford is licensing and taking the lead on marketing these upgrades so that the dealers wont have to. If the dealers now are doing such a good job helping people build their vehicles why is Scion selling the volume?

Its not a new idea but it is a good one.

When is the last time it was executed by Ford? In the past it was only by the dealers and for only mild modifications, with the exception of the Yenko where the motor was swapped. And that was only by a handfull of dealers whiling to hang their balls out knowing it was not a factory option but were whiling to go the extra mile to please the customer! How long has it been, and how many newer popular mods have not been offered in recent years? Have the dealers fallen asleep and been blaming Ford for them having a lack of ingenuity unlike the dealer that offered the Yenko? And why does Scion have the reputation for custumization, while you guys are sitting back blaming Ford for your short cummings? Not only must the assemblers and management have to work together but it is the dealer with direct contact with our customers. What is difference from the store owners that sell our products now versus the dealers of the 60's and 70's? Fat, bloated, arrogant, and out to screw the customer. I've been through the turnstyle! You guys are being given the tools and the product now sell people on why they want to own a Ford! Seriously if I was a dealer the first thing I would do is invest in digital power tuners that wont void the warranties and reflash my customers cars to give them more power for a small fee! Yenko LOL, one chevy dealership (Yenko Chevrolet) does engine swaps and every dealer wants to live off of their rep even if they don't sell Chevrolets! :hysterical:LINK

Edited by Furious1Auto

I'm just curious if the '09 F150, Fusion, and Mustang will get the kind of customization items that the Flex is getting. I can see Ford not putting a lot of work into developing kits for current models of these vehicles.

According to the article (which I was unable to find anywhere on the net to post) mods are going to all of our vehicles. I guess to what extent is up to us to tell them, I'm sure their veiwing this thread and wathcing the sales volume on the most popular mods. Allot of their development as of late have has been a reaction to this sight and from the customers directly!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Not to derail the topic, but I don't ever see Apple's operating system being relevant in business markets. I could even see it grabbing a larger marketshare in the consumer market where graphics are so important, but the fact is this: MacOSX simply isn't efficient to use. I love using MacOSX because it has a nice interface that is pretty to look at, but in terms of efficiency, Macs are just plain clusmy to use. Their mouse, for example, only has one button. Why does it only have one button? I always bring along a spare USB mouse to my girlfriend's house to use her computer becuase I can't stand that control-click nonsense. You need a secondary function with a mouse ... why not build it properly from the factory? Plus the mouse isn't designed to fit your hand. It feels just odd in your hand. I'm not a Microsoft fan boy, but Microsoft and Logitech in particular are way ahead of Apple in terms of mouse design. Does Apple even consider practicality and ergonomics when they design mice and keyboards?

I know that you can use a right-clicking mouse on a Mac now, but you still can't do anything quickly on a Macintosh in my experience. Even media editing is a pain without a mouse that can right-click.

Not to derail the topic, but I don't ever see Apple's operating system being relevant in business markets. I could even see it grabbing a larger marketshare in the consumer market where graphics are so important, but the fact is this: MacOSX simply isn't efficient to use. I love using MacOSX because it has a nice interface that is pretty to look at, but in terms of efficiency, Macs are just plain clusmy to use. Their mouse, for example, only has one button. Why does it only have one button? I always bring along a spare USB mouse to my girlfriend's house to use her computer becuase I can't stand that control-click nonsense. You need a secondary function with a mouse ... why not build it properly from the factory? Plus the mouse isn't designed to fit your hand. It feels just odd in your hand. I'm not a Microsoft fan boy, but Microsoft and Logitech in particular are way ahead of Apple in terms of mouse design. Does Apple even consider practicality and ergonomics when they design mice and keyboards?

I know that you can use a right-clicking mouse on a Mac now, but you still can't do anything quickly on a Macintosh in my experience. Even media editing is a pain without a mouse that can right-click.

My apple mouse has 4 buttons. It also has a scroll ball rater than wheel so you can scroll up and down and from side to side. This can't be a current apple your talikng about. The current apple mouse is better than most others.

Edited by suv_guy_19