More Info on New Taurus

FordBuyer

However, The Detroit News learned from other company sources that the new model will be a complete redesign that includes new sheet metal, a new interior, better fuel economy and better performance. Ford's new EcoBoost engine will be an option.

Analyst Erich Merkle of IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids has not seen Ford's new design, but he has discussed the work in progress with suppliers. He confirmed that a major makeover is in the works.

"It's still going to use the same platform as the existing model, but the car will look nothing like the current one. It will be completely redone inside and out," Merkle said. "It's probably one of the biggest launches that Ford is going to have in the passenger car market."

"They probably did as much as they could with the face-lift, but it's just not standing out," said analyst Stephanie Brinley of AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield. "It's a nice package. It's unfortunate that its styling is so bland."

She said the new Taurus will benefit from the improvements to the platform made as part of the Ford Flex program, a new full-size crossover that will be launched later this year and is based on the same chassis architecture as the current Taurus.<<

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...

Coming out in '09 will probably make it a 2010 model.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, The Detroit News learned from other company sources that the new model will be a complete redesign that includes new sheet metal, a new interior, better fuel economy and better performance. Ford's new EcoBoost engine will be an option.

Analyst Erich Merkle of IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids has not seen Ford's new design, but he has discussed the work in progress with suppliers. He confirmed that a major makeover is in the works.

"It's still going to use the same platform as the existing model, but the car will look nothing like the current one. It will be completely redone inside and out," Merkle said. "It's probably one of the biggest launches that Ford is going to have in the passenger car market."

"They probably did as much as they could with the face-lift, but it's just not standing out," said analyst Stephanie Brinley of AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield. "It's a nice package. It's unfortunate that its styling is so bland."

She said the new Taurus will benefit from the improvements to the platform made as part of the Ford Flex program, a new full-size crossover that will be launched later this year and is based on the same chassis architecture as the current Taurus.<<

Your links not to good, is there any photo's of the new Taurus it can't be as bland and boring as the Focus.

l_bbe539421584e143a64b512fbf3c5e5c.gif

E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T

Try this DetNews Link

Edited by joihan777

Hopefully this link will work, but it says exactly what I posted. The new Taurus will look very different from 2008 Taurus, but will be based off same platform but enjoy improvements made on platform in building of Flex. All new inside and out with available Ecoboost engine or engines.

Click here: Ford is mum on overhaul of '09 Taurus

haven't seen it, but it is supposed to be stunning (well as stunning as FED large sedan can get) - it should definitely be at least polarizing - not boring.

Igor

Thank's for that Igor, I have got to say l am ecstatic about this Igor, the suspense is killing me. l bet it looks same as the Verve, with the dimensions maximised by about another 12 inches by pulling the corners on the CAD programmes window, just a bit of a wild card guess

Thank's for that Igor, I have got to say l am ecstatic about this Igor, the suspense is killing me. l bet it looks same as the Verve, with the dimensions maximised by about another 12 inches by pulling the corners on the CAD programmes window, just a bit of a wild card guess

do NOT bet on verve looks - actually with 80% certainty I can tell you that it will NOT mirror the Verve - Verve was developed in Europe and that is where it got its looks. Taurus will not adopt kinetic looks .. it might get a few kinetic clues (see Focus' tail and profile) but it will be US design and US look.

Igor

do NOT bet on verve looks - actually with 80% certainty I can tell you that it will NOT mirror the Verve - Verve was developed in Europe and that is where it got its looks. Taurus will not adopt kinetic looks .. it might get a few kinetic clues (see Focus' tail and profile) but it will be US design and US look.

Igor

We are not getting the Verve you are Igor, we will be getting the new Fiesta. Why do Ford want two Focus's that look the same?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

We are not getting the Verve you are Igor, we will be getting the new Fiesta. Why do Ford want two Focus's that look the same?

yes - but the EU Fiesta and the US verve will be 90% identical in looks and feel. The rest of the lineup will not be that close for now .. the next Focus will be the next vehicle to be identical globally, then the next Mondeo/Fusion and some other models.

However the Taurus will remain American and will probably maintain its own identity.

Igor

yes - but the EU Fiesta and the US verve will be 90% identical in looks and feel. The rest of the lineup will not be that close for now .. the next Focus will be the next vehicle to be identical globally, then the next Mondeo/Fusion and some other models.

However the Taurus will remain American and will probably maintain its own identity.

Igor

Is it going to be a bigger fatty Focus then Igor

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

What about the Taurus X? It still sells a modest amount and helps to fill the Chicago Taurus factory. But is it worth redesigning?

I personally hate the Flex look, and want something closer to a wagon/crossover look and size, like the current Taurus X. But I want modern updating (EcoBoost fuel economy, updated Nav with TravelLink, color accent lighting,....) and better style, especially inside. Putting chrome accents all over the T-X was like lipstick on a pig. It just didn't help.

And absolutely no spy-shots, no mules.

Ford has put amazingly tight security on this car, considering that it is to be shown next month. If pictures have been distributed, the embargo sure is holding.

nothing has been told /shown to the media. I know I keep prying almost daily.

Igor

nothing has been told /shown to the media. I know I keep prying almost daily.

Igor

good, i'm all for it....in my opinion they have constantly been blowing cover WAYYYYY to early prior to release...by the time the release the actual product all the hoopla and fanfare has died down.....release some teasers 6 months MAX before release....ie F-150....NOT Flex....

good, i'm all for it....in my opinion they have constantly been blowing cover WAYYYYY to early prior to release...by the time the release the actual product all the hoopla and fanfare has died down.....release some teasers 6 months MAX before release....ie F-150....NOT Flex....

I agree. However, I give Ford a pass on the Flex reveal for a couple of reasons: 1) Ford needed something to show the world at a time when things were pretty bleak; and 2) it allowed them to make as certain as possible that the Flex would not be the next Aztek.

The Taurus security makes me wonder what other surprises might be in the pipe-line . . . like the B-car 4x4?

Amazing that Brenda Priddy and the rest never encountered one . . . . not one. Not even from some schmoe with a camera-phone. Wasn't around then, but reminds me of the '49 Ford launch.

Edited by Edstock

Do you think it might be 201720998_c9de2dc943_o.jpg

definitely not .... Taurus is a sedan ... and will remain such

The S-Max' success in US is questionable on it own - and it would be a guaranteed FAIL if it was named Taurus.

The same goes vice-versa - the large sedan category in US is not the hottest right now - and Taurus has decent chance of dominating it in the coming years .,,, but not by looking like a minivan.

Igor

I agree. However, I give Ford a pass on the Flex reveal for a couple of reasons: 1) Ford needed something to show the world at a time when things were pretty bleak; and 2) it allowed them to make as certain as possible that the Flex would not be the next Aztek.

The Taurus security makes me wonder what other surprises might be in the pipe-line . . . like the B-car 4x4?

Amazing that Brenda Priddy and the rest never encountered one . . . . not one. Not even from some schmoe with a camera-phone. Wasn't around then, but reminds me of the '49 Ford launch.

1) no media person will jeopardize its future invited to Ford's cushy events by sneaking in a camera phone (and using it). Breaking an embargo by a day or two is much less painful. The media previews are 3-4 weeks before the show.

2) Ford usually only lets mules on the streets in the very final stages of testing - they can measure airflow, and most other stuff in the safety of labs and proving grounds. They also probably did most of the Taurus development under the guise of MKS / under the skin of the current car - now they just have to slap on the new Ford look.

3) I agree with you on Flex - it was needed to generate SOME positive buzz about Ford - and it worked.

Igor