More Info on New Taurus

FordBuyer

Actually this started several years ago. The powertrain folks were told that they would get no prototypes. All development was to be done on previous year cars. In some case hoods and fenders were cut. In a lot of case, the final zip tube and exhausts never really got fitted until pilot plant builds.

That's interesting....it makes sense though, that Ford doesn't want to reveal designs before they want them to be revealed.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know if I was in the market for a full size sedan the minimum I would take would be a V6, midsize a 4 is ok....a little too buzzy for my tastes.....now a eco boost V6...another story...that would be SHO reborn,

You don't even know how the EcoBoost motors drive, sound, or feel yet, though. For all we know, it could drive like the 3.5, yet be a 4.

BTW, why is a =frog= selling a honey flavored cereal? That's like having a bear sell mosquito flavored cereal. Not that they ever would launch such a product, but a man can dream, can't he?

Can I play the "get to 10,000 posts quickly" game too?

What in the world is "mosquito flavored cereal"?

That's interesting....it makes sense though, that Ford doesn't want to reveal designs before they want them to be revealed.

No, it was/is all about cost savings.

Not having prototypes can be a big hassle for powertrain. Am I getting enough air flow through the grill to adequately cool the engine ? Is there adequate clearance/heat shielding for the exhaust system ? A thousand other questions that can't be answered until much later in the game than before.

I though it was going to be out earlier than that? That'd mean they're showing the concept 4 years before production....sounds like the "old" Ford to me.

Well Mullaly says they are on a 3 year cycle now. That is AWESOME !

What I want to know is how did they get to a 3 year cycle with less engineers ?

Actually their current problem in engineer is "too many middle level management". Supervisors with 5 or less engineers. Managers on "special assignment" and no direct reports. How do you convince these 40-50 year olds with 15-20 year that they have no future with the company.

Hey chump, here's a couple years of severance pay, get lost and forget getting a pension also !

No, it was/is all about cost savings.

Not having prototypes can be a big hassle for powertrain. Am I getting enough air flow through the grill to adequately cool the engine ? Is there adequate clearance/heat shielding for the exhaust system ? A thousand other questions that can't be answered until much later in the game than before.

Oh, I see. I would think that would create problems for powertrain people.

BTW, why is a =frog= selling a honey flavored cereal? That's like having a bear sell mosquito flavored cereal. Not that they ever would launch such a product, but a man can dream, can't he?

Since you asked, and roused my curiosity . . . .(Though this link does not provide insight into the genius marketing folks at Kellogg's and their decision to utilize a 'frog', it does provide some history regarding the cereal.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Smacks

As Igor has stated, small displacement Ecoboost engines in testing are getting highway mileage of high 30's and expected to get mid 30's in production form.

On local news around here, they are showing Ford tape of 500 with dual exhaust drag racing and beating Cadillac STS with no problem at Dearborn Proving Grounds. I have seen a very similar looking 500 with the same dual pipes driving around Western Wayne County. I have a feeling it's a Ecoboost test mule. In fact, the taps shows the dual pipe 500 blowing by the Cadillac like it's standing still.

Ford is really testing these Ecoboost engines and they must be getting the fuel mileage they are saying in press release, or why state it.

Generally:

By Ford North America not acting like a completely separate company to Ford global.

By use of common power trains

By handing over all small car design to FoE, Volvo and Mazda.

By FoA and Ford NA collaboraing with RWD.

Edited by jpd80

Wow. That cereal has had some real bizarre characters shilling it. Makes the frog look normal.

Of course, it can't top using cartoons to sell beer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kh6LrGoRob8&feature=related

Along with a faux Indian chant. Politically incorrect? Nah, not at all.

And yet I'm filled with fun spirited thoughts, a need to quench my thirst with a tasty beverage down by a creek . . . . . . and wondering were the hell my turtleneck shirts are currently located!!

One thing's for certain. It won't sound like a 6.

If ecoboost is only running on 3 because one of the pots is playing up it will sound worse than T-Stags Triumph, will an ecoboost engine need more oil changes, cause more wear on the engine and run hotter than 6 pot Engine & need the added cost/weight of a oil cooling system & an expensive engine oil? Will the engines be good for a 200,000 miles like you might get from a 6 pot engine? Just interested.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Well the new Focus 3 looks like a larger Verve, S-Max is bigger, if you remodel it in to a Larger Verve/Focus Sedan shape the front end shape will look like this but with a few crome grille bars added to front for an American taste, it's only a shot in the dark guess.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think the Taurus will be more distinctly American, as others have said. Look for a normal (larger) hood, etc.

There was a clay model behind a picture of Alan Mulally in some Ford building that many here thought may be the next Taurus. I'll try to find a link/picture.

Actually their current problem in engineer is "too many middle level management". Supervisors with 5 or less engineers. Managers on "special assignment" and no direct reports. How do you convince these 40-50 year olds with 15-20 year that they have no future with the company.

Hey chump, here's a couple years of severance pay, get lost and forget getting a pension also !

Now this 3 year cycle, does it mean something like this?

Year 1: car introduced

Year 2: mostly carryover, maybe some new options

Year 3: MCE/reskin

Year 4: mostly carryover, maybe some new options

Year 5: mostly carryover, maybe some new options

Year 6: new car

1) By replying to posts as you read them, you're already playing the game.

2) It's pretty much self-explanatory. Which word is giving you problems?

I know, it was sort of a joke, but a bad one, obviously.

You of all people should know that I'm in the "hunt" to increase post count. (Remember the 12+ page MKT thread that I single-handedly added I believe 2/3 pages to?)

Edited by rmc523

As Igor has stated, small displacement Ecoboost engines in testing are getting highway mileage of high 30's and expected to get mid 30's in production form.

On local news around here, they are showing Ford tape of 500 with dual exhaust drag racing and beating Cadillac STS with no problem at Dearborn Proving Grounds. I have seen a very similar looking 500 with the same dual pipes driving around Western Wayne County. I have a feeling it's a Ecoboost test mule. In fact, the taps shows the dual pipe 500 blowing by the Cadillac like it's standing still.

Ford is really testing these Ecoboost engines and they must be getting the fuel mileage they are saying in press release, or why state it.

That video was shown in Kuzak's (I think it was) explanation of EcoBoost. I was pretty impressed by it.

Edited by rmc523