Challenger SRT8 mileage released

igor

There could be some variables there that aren't being seen, such as the gearing. Remember that the first batch of SRT-8s will have the autostick. It could be that the Challenger will have an aggressively low axle ratio to give it more oomph off the line. People are going to judge the Challenger on its performance right off the bat. It wouldn't do if the Challenger is barely quicker than the four door Charger SRT-8. Another thing is despite the supercharger, the Shelby motor is smaller...6.1L vs. 5.4L and most large cube mills will drink gas.

For me, personally, if I were looking for a top-end performance coupe I'd probably go with the Shelby. Of course, the Shelby is one heavy pony car. While the Challenger really isn't a pony car, because its built on the LX platform. Its more like a two door sedan with a coupe body. If the Challenger weighs in at around 4000 pounds, the Shelby isn't far behind it at around 3800-3900 pounds. The Challenger will appeal to the purists who don't care for the forced induction or have plans on building it up themselves. It'll likely gets down the quarter mile in the mid 12s on all motor...and no supercharger whine!

Mid 12s? Why would it be that much faster than a Charger SRT8? It won't be significantly lighter, and the power is the same.

That's what I was getting at. I think the Challenger really needs to be quicker than the Charger for its image and perhaps it will be. I believe that either the production car's weight will be lower than that of the concept AND/OR the Challenger may be geared more aggressively. Maybe not, but I definitely think it would be a mistake for the Charger sedan to be as quick as the Challenger coupe from a marketing point of view.