TTAC gives Mondeo 5 stars

WingBender

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ford of NA produced this exact vehicle without it existing in Europe, it would have received probably 3 or 4 stars.

Perception is everything. TTAC's glasses are no less colored than they believe Mulally's are. It's sort of sad that they look for failure and invent it when it isn't there (see their most recent deathwatch where they question Ford's fleet sales numbers).

Didja all catch this nugget?

Mondeo’s 10.6 second zero to sixty time

And TTAC still sucks. It has no journalistic integrity, and I'm NOT going to go through this review excising the crap, because I think I've done that ENOUGH with their other reporting to render it unnecessary at this point.

BTW, the F150 review was penned by Sajeev Mehta, who used to come 'round this site. Article needs some editing, but since -that- is not a strong point of TTAC, he's not going to get it.

You mean this paragraph;

My tester holstered Ford's 2.0-liter, 140hp diesel. The oil burner is an extremely refined unit, significantly smoother than the highly respected Volkswagen TDI. On paper, the diesel Mondeo’s 10.6 second zero to sixty sprint time seems, as the French are wont to say, insupportable. But the Mondeo serves-up a wave of torquey thrust from 1800 - 4500 rpm that helps Mondeo man maintain momentum. Using the standard light-action six-speed manual, I never ran out of gears. No matter how hard I thrashed the powerplant, I never saw less than 29 mpg. At a more sedate pace, I averaged 35 mpg.

People say they want diesels. People say they want the Mondeo here.

Do they realize that a 10.6 second 0-60 time comes along with the deal?

The US and European markets are very different.

Wow...the hypocrisy is flowing thick tonight.

Did you also forget that the Mondeo has a COMPLETE engine line up...4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and diesels. Plus, with how not shitty (read FORD NA), the Mondeo is, I wouldn't care how slow it was.

Did you also forget that the Mondeo has a COMPLETE engine line up...4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and diesels. Plus, with how not shitty (read FORD NA), the Mondeo is, I wouldn't care how slow it was.

There's no six cylinder engine offered on the current Mondeo.

You know what buddy?

I -love- the Mondeo's design. As far a cohesion goes, it exceeds anything to come out of Ford NA AND Ford Europe lo these many years. Fact is, the '96 Taurus was probably the last vehicle that spoke one singular language from front to back.

Regardless----it remains a fact that diesels and the Mondeo demand certain sacrifices. Sacrifices that it would be hard pressed to assert the American public is prepared to make when push comes to shove.

Only thing wrong they did styling wise with that car is take the oval shape a little bit too far...

Yeah...that was the WHOLE DAMN CAR! From every angle it looked like ass.

And not to mention how they completely fucked over the 20K SHO owners from 1996-1999.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

You know what buddy?

I -love- the Mondeo's design. As far a cohesion goes, it exceeds anything to come out of Ford NA AND Ford Europe lo these many years. Fact is, the '96 Taurus was probably the last vehicle that spoke one singular language from front to back.

Regardless----it remains a fact that diesels and the Mondeo demand certain sacrifices. Sacrifices that it would be hard pressed to assert the American public is prepared to make when push comes to shove.

The Mondeo and Taurus have similar internal dimensions but are worlds apart on the outside.

That is no mistake on the part of the respective Ford divisions.

Ford knows Americans would not accept Mondeo's compact design as a full sized car, even if it had a V6!

Edited by jpd80