New Acura TSX details revealed

rmc523

Nothing to see here people, move along.......

Seriously, why purchase (or do whatever it is you do) this over a 4 cylinder Accord? The interior is virtually the same. Honda offers a fairly robust 4. You end up with more interior room.

What a dud. No, AWD. Same lame engine (regardless as to how much torque it makes). Dull exterior.

Why, to get tidier dimensions of course. Seriously, the TSX, even after its mild stretching in several dimensions, is still noticeably smaller (and lighter) than the accord. That being said, for the price of the TSX, you can get a loaded accord sedan with the 190 hp 4 banger and have a very nice vehicle with more interior room that gets somewhat better gas mileage. I dunno. I suppose if you REALLY wanted that acura dealership experience, you'd go for it. Otherwise, I just don't see the appeal.

Nothing to see here people, move along.......

Seriously, why purchase (or do whatever it is you do) this over a 4 cylinder Accord? The interior is virtually the same. Honda offers a fairly robust 4. You end up with more interior room.

What a dud. No, AWD. Same lame engine (regardless as to how much torque it makes). Dull exterior.

Yeah, Acura should drop the 200hp plus lame 4cyl engine for the Mercury Milan 4cyl...... :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

First time I've seen a car with a manual get a lower rating in Highway mileage vs an auto!

It's not the first. The current TSX is actually lower with the manual vs. the auto. There are a handful of other models that are all "manual impaired."

As far as these people claiming the TSX is a dud, have you driven one? Brilliant car. Brilliant. The interior hasn't been released yet, so it's hard to say whether the TSX & Accord share an interior - the last two didn't. In fact the TSX's interior differed from the EuroAccord even (On which the TSX is derived, and the previous EuroAccord & AmeriAccord had extremely similar interiors.)

I quite like the current TSX and would consider the second gen. if I were in the market. Also, there is a WORLD of difference from the local, high pressure, dumpy Honda dealer and an Acura dealer. That alone is almost worth the premium...

Scott

It's not the first. The current TSX is actually lower with the manual vs. the auto. There are a handful of other models that are all "manual impaired."

As far as these people claiming the TSX is a dud, have you driven one? Brilliant car. Brilliant. The interior hasn't been released yet, so it's hard to say whether the TSX & Accord share an interior - the last two didn't. In fact the TSX's interior differed from the EuroAccord even (On which the TSX is derived, and the previous EuroAccord & AmeriAccord had extremely similar interiors.)

I quite like the current TSX and would consider the second gen. if I were in the market. Also, there is a WORLD of difference from the local, high pressure, dumpy Honda dealer and an Acura dealer. That alone is almost worth the premium...

Scott

I've driven one, and as I've mentioned before it was a great little car. Having said that, you have to stay competitive with the rest of the competition. Especially if you are attempting to appeal to buyers that might stray towards more powerful competitors. TSX sales were down 21% for Jan.

The interior pictures have been released, and it follows pretty much the very same concept of the Honda Accord.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/honda/2009-ho...rd-ar52196.html

Honda/Acura had a chance to do a bit more, and all we get is a mild exterior update. Let's just hope the pricing falls inline.

I've driven one, and as I've mentioned before it was a great little car. Having said that, you have to stay competitive with the rest of the competition. Especially if you are attempting to appeal to buyers that might stray towards more powerful competitors. TSX sales were down 21% for Jan.

Like I said earlier, why don't they drop in the RDX engine and create a TSX Type S (providing it fits of course). I had previously owned an Acura and when the TSX first came out, I really liked it. But 4 years later, it's stale. This update does little to alleviate that IMO.

Honda_Accord_10-2w.jpg

2009 European Honda Accord

2008.honda.accord.20174320-E.jpg

2008 American Honda Accord

The posted link shows the EuroAccord, not the TSX. Checking out the VTEC forum makes it sound like this is probably the interior we're getting, but it's not a sure thing. The "opps, we didn't really mean to release this"-release from Acura at least kept the interior from being shown. Assuming this is the interior of the TSX, it is a similar "theme" to the NA Accord, but it's definitely a unique and more upscale look. I doubt people will confuse the two!

I will agree that the current TSX is suffering from the "so what" effect after nearly five years on the market. Hopefully the new model will inject some new life into the model.

And a point about not matching the competition: what competition? The TSX competes with lower-end S40s & 9-3s and that's about it. Now, you could argue that there isn't really a market that the TSX captures and instead it draws from the high-end midsize market (Passat, Camry V6, & Accord V6) or from the low-end of the subluxury market (MKZ, CTS, TL, ES/IS, 3-Series, etc.) I can support either theory, but I think the TSX remains a car of value to Acura and hope they continue to update & market the car.

Scott

Edited by waymondospiff

Go look up images of the current European Accord's interior and compare those to the current TSX. They are the exact same car, well besides an emblem. I doubt Honda is going to drastically change the interior for the North American market, especially when I'd be willing to bet that most TSX buyers don't even know the Euro Accord is even out there (if you want an example look at the Canadian Acura Civic).

What competition? The entry level luxury market, that's what competition. Just because the pricing isn't aligned specifically with that of a 3 Series, IS, GS etc..... doesn't mean that it won't be cross shopped with those competitors. The Volvo is long in tooth, and the Saab's basic 4 is pushing more horsepower and a lot of torque compared to the TSX. Besides isn't coming in just good enough one of the reasons why Ford has been lambasted for over and over again.

Go look up images of the current European Accord's interior and compare those to the current TSX. They are the exact same car, well besides an emblem. I doubt Honda is going to drastically change the interior for the North American market, especially when I'd be willing to bet that most TSX buyers don't even know the Euro Accord is even out there (if you want an example look at the Canadian Acura Civic).

What competition? The entry level luxury market, that's what competition. Just because the pricing isn't aligned specifically with that of a 3 Series, IS, GS etc..... doesn't mean that it won't be cross shopped with those competitors. The Volvo is long in tooth, and the Saab's basic 4 is pushing more horsepower and a lot of torque compared to the TSX. Besides isn't coming in just good enough one of the reasons why Ford has been lambasted for over and over again.

1056652601.jpg

2008 EuroAccord

2004.acura.tsx.22589-E.jpg

2008 Acura TSX

2005.honda.accord.20073532-E.jpg

2007 NA Accord

I see more in common between the EuroAccord & the NA Accord than the EuroAccord & the TSX.

So, I don't think it's a safe bet to assume they'll be identical.

And any 3-Series is going to cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than the TSX. That's why the TSX can sell - it's just about the cheapest "premium" branded car in the market. I don't see any real reason why this model is going to fail when the last one did well.

Scott

1056652601.jpg

2008 EuroAccord

2004.acura.tsx.22589-E.jpg

2008 Acura TSX

2005.honda.accord.20073532-E.jpg

2007 NA Accord

I see more in common between the EuroAccord & the NA Accord than the EuroAccord & the TSX.

And any 3-Series is going to cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than the TSX. That's why the TSX can sell - it's just about the cheapest "premium" branded car in the market. I don't see any real reason why this model is going to fail when the last one did well.

Scott

There is a lot of commonality between the Euro Accord and the TSX interiors. You can tell from the pictures that the Instrument Panel substrate and structure is the same -- look at the shape and the center of the IP and you can tell. I can't tell if the change is just the applique or perhaps a slightly different IP cover for TSX, but either one is relatively cheap. The door trims have only minor modifications and the armrest and switches are common. The gauge cluster is different. It looks like the US and European Accord gauges might be the same with the emphasis on the larger speedometer, but the TSX gauges have an equal sized speedo and tach to emphasize a purported sporty character. Console is almost the same with a couple more doors for stowage. Steering wheel is the same with a new center which was required anyway so they could stick on the badge. All of these changes are very minor.

I see no reason why Honda/Acura wouldn't continue with the minor differentiation they now use -- on the order of the Fusion and Milan. I personally like the TSX, but I think it is way overpriced considering it is effectively just a tidier 4 cylinder Accord with a fancier brand label. Since the new Accord has grown ever larger (to 194" OAL), there might be a bit more room for the TSX to survive.

Scott

OK, a slight trim piece change here and there and you don't think they are identical. Sure, if you say so. The addition of silver painted trim (or fake wood), a new gauge cluster and a few bin changes does not constitute much difference at. I highly doubt you are going to see a huge change, sans knobs and a few 'luxurious' trim pieces.

If BMW truly leases the bulk of 3s that people allude to, then the residual values more than offset the fact that it is a more expensive car. Regardless as to how much a 3 Series costs, it still will get crossed shopped (amongst other brands) with a TSX. For example, a 335i equipped similar to the G35 we currently have was some 11K more. Yet, the lease prices were within 15 dollars a month.

Furthermore, when the original TSX was introduced the base engines of the A4, 3 Series, 9-3, S40, C Class were all down on power compared to the Acura. The Acura doesn't offer AWD, it doesn't have a 6 speed auto and I'd be willing to bet that we will be looking at a slightly modified Honda interior at an increased price.

What originally sold me on the TSX was the low cost of entry in addition to the feature content.