Will The Pick-Up Vanish

mlhm5

In the late 70's and early 80's the state of NC bought Plymouth/Dodge 440 Magnums for police cars and had them fitted with transmission coolers, larger gas tanks larger radiator, and a few more options.

The state put around 45-50K of miles and then sold them in public auctions. In 1982, you could buy one for ~$800 because it got 12-14 mpg.

This is the future of the full sized pickup with the large V8.

1976 was the last year that a 440 was put into a police package...1977 to 1981 was a 360, and then the police package was discontinued until the Charger revival.

All Highway Patrol cars ordered in 1977 and beyond were Chevy Caprices.

But. . . but. . . I don't want to have a pickup with a gas tank directly behind the seat (Chevy in 70's) or one that has been moved outside the frame (Chevy 80's -->), or a Honda that will not even handle a pallet of tile for the house (or a dozen sheets of sheet rock without putting the bed on the rear axle) and will flex/bend the sheet metal if I pull through a swale . . . even with no load. . . and at idle/creeping speed!!!!

I guess that I will just have to keep my F150 (1/2T) that can hold 2300 lbs without even squatting the box on the axles. . . until the diesel is released. In the meantime, I'll just wait for a high(er) mileage Ford car (that I can fit into) to do all of my commuting/running-around in . . . and keep the F150 for when I need to haul something.

Sitch-eee-ation solved.

I always have felt pickups should be for people who need a working truck and not a status symbol to drive to the quickie mart to pick up a gallon of milk. Pickups don't need 4 doors or DVD players or navigation systems. Pickups should not be for city folks. Picks should be for people who need a hard working vehicle to haul stuff, pull stuff, push stuff, etc. A real pick up has a 8000 lb hay wagon attached to it. Has the tail gate removed, has cow *$ all over it. It has bailer twine and a tool box in the back. Real trucks don't need a 4 door "crew cab" because the crew rides in the back. A real truck spends most of it's time in the field drive way, not in the highyway. Real trucks belong on the Farm or at the construction site period.

Most city trucks will never go off road. The owners are afraid to scratch them. These people need CUVs that look like trucks (Honda sells one I think) so they can pose for their friends. . My mechanic tells me if I want a good hard working truck, Ford or Chevys from the 70s are some of the best trucks ever built. This is what Ford and Chevy should build again. Trucks for people who need trucks. They should copy Honda if they want a 30 MPG city truck for posers in the suburbs. Call it the F100 maybe.

Thats right. Those darned work people need a basic truck. To hell with power steering, power brakes, and A/C. What are they???.............. Pansies??

Tear all of those airbags out too. Real work trucks don't actually go on a paved road, so they don't need all of that silly stuff.

Want a CD in that work truck???.............. you baby. Go buy a CUV or a car. Want carpet and a radio??? You don't deserve to call yourself a man.

Hmmm, I thought we lived in the US. You know, where choice was ok, and encouraged.

On that note, however, my husband drives a '69 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4.............. with no power steering, power brakes, or A/C. It even has drum brakes all the way around, and solid axles. Phewwwww............. I sure am glad to know that he is a "REAL" man.

Thats right. Those darned work people need a basic truck. To hell with power steering, power brakes, and A/C. What are they???.............. Pansies??

Tear all of those airbags out too. Real work trucks don't actually go on a paved road, so they don't need all of that silly stuff.

Want a CD in that work truck???.............. you baby. Go buy a CUV or a car. Want carpet and a radio??? You don't deserve to call yourself a man.

Hmmm, I thought we lived in the US. You know, where choice was ok, and encouraged.

On that note, however, my husband drives a '69 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4.............. with no power steering, power brakes, or A/C. It even has drum brakes all the way around, and solid axles. Phewwwww............. I sure am glad to know that he is a "REAL" man.

..um, who needs 4x4? 4 doors?! common, its a work truck, not a people mover. if you want a people mover, go buy a model T.

In Europe, essentially no one has a pickup. Instead, many have small trailers that they can tow with their cars. This allows cars to be used for utility purposes and saves a heck of a lot of gas. Of course pickups are more convenient but this seems to work as well.

Most people don't haul stuff enough days/year to warrant a pickup truck. Driving a smaller car with higher MPG and using a utility trailer when you need to haul is a really good solution.

Gone are the 4cyl 2 seater small pickups (Mazda B Series). The automakers have gradually grown their small pickups into "mid-size" which is really only a tiny bit smaller than full-size pickups from 20 years ago, and they have grown their full-size pickups into 4-door aircraft carriers that take 5 acres to make a u-turn and cost $150 to fill up.

Maybe the future is this 4cyl diesel at 35mpg or a trailer.

dieselhybrid_opt.jpg

Pick-ups sales are inceasing in Europe up +22%, Van sales dropped by 1.9% so the trend is changing.

http://www.acea.be/index.php/news/news_det...s_up_in_january

Ford Ranger Sales were up 200% in February, maybe folk are getting fed up with boring bland cars?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080312/clw038.html?.v=101

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Pick-ups sales are inceasing in Europe up +22%

http://www.acea.be/index.php/news/news_det...s_up_in_january

Ford Ranger Sales were up 200% in February, maybe folk are getting fed up with boring bland cars?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080312/clw038.html?.v=101

To put things in perspective though, going from 800 sales in a month to 1700 isn't exactly worth celebrating.....unless you're Jaguar. :hysterical:

Edited by NickF1011

To put things in perspective though, going from 800 sales in a month to 1700 isn't exactly worth celebrating.....unless you're Jaguar. :hysterical:

You are right Nick, I am starting to sound a bit like a bit like T-Stag here. But it's good to see Ranger sales taking off even if they have got to go a bit of a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog way to catch up F-Series sales in the States LOL.

You are right Nick, I am starting to sound a bit like a bit like T-Stag here. But it's good to see Ranger sales taking off even if they have got to go a bit of a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog way to catch up F-Series sales in the States LOL.

I hear ya.