Ford. Drive One!

BORG

Quality.

If for just runs ads "Ford builds the Best Quality", people will just laugh at them. That does not mean you simply give up on the message.

You can run ads that indirectly portray quality. Ford has proven safety. If a car does not have quality, it is not safe. I have seen videos comparing an F150's frame to a Tundra's. Isn't strength a sign for quality.

If Ford only comes up with a slogan "quality". People won't trust it. If Ford say shows a Consumers Report article, or a JD Powers report. Some might. If their message is consistent, persistent, can be backed up and are true, they will work.

The only reason you would not want to sell yourself on quality if 1. it is not true, 2. you are not able to convince anyone.

I will give Farley a break. Maybe it is too early to push quality. Maybe they need another model year for he quality to improve, or 2 or 3 .... Maybe the need to wait word Ford to rise within Consumer Reports. "Ford, Drive One" isn't inconsistent with quality, but it don't say it either.

"Bold Moves" was a very good slogan to get your attention. Sells cars buys you time ti fix your quality problems. Now the quality problems are being fixes, "drive one" is the best you can do? The only thing good about it is that it is short, and consistent with everything.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advertising could increase sales, but it won't increase reputation. I suppose there is SOME relation if you consider the more people who buy them, the more people you have to spread the word about their quality. :shrug: But you can't just throw in an advertisement saying "We build quality cars" and expect the public to believe it.

The Taurus is not that bad. The press even says it not that bad. No one knows it.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I would prefer that their slogan was about quality instead of telling us we need to drive one. The reason I'd say this is because Ford is going to win customers by proving their quality. If they don't even mention their quality, how are people going to be reminded that they have made quality improvements?

Panther customers are getting their cars secondhand from Hertz lots and auctions...

Yep...right next to all of the Fusions, Edges, Escapes, and Foci.

one word to all the cynics, may change perspectives.........VERVE/ FIESTA!..........

Unless, of course, when people hear Fiesta, they accidentally think of this:

800px-1st_Ford_Festiva.jpg

You think Ford would have learned their lesson with the Freestar/Freestyle mistake...but they are a stubborn bunch.

The Taurus is not that bad. The press even says it not that bad. No one knows it.

And Taurus X is Ford's best car...but they treat it like shit. The Taurus X gets RAVE reviews...I have not seen a bad thing written about it.

You think Ford would have learned their lesson with the Freestar/Freestyle mistake...but they are a stubborn bunch.

And Taurus X is Ford's best car...but they treat it like shit. The Taurus X gets RAVE reviews...I have not seen a bad thing written about it.

festiva fiesta...you may be right...kinda a To may TOE / To Mar Toe quandry....won't matter, the looks remove the cars from one another....won't matter what they call it....they DO need to get off of this damn F bomb name syndrom in my opinion though....become total overkill..........

Edited by Deanh

I guess its better than "Meet the New Saturn". Doesn't seem any different than the old Saturn to me....

I liked the "Quality is Job 1 and Have You Driven A Ford Lately" slogans. Classy and tasteful.

yeah...meet the new Saturn...damn near twice what they used to be....

I always think of the SHOgun when I hear Fiesta . . . :shrug: :burnout: Wish I could have 'driven one' of those back in the day . . . heck I'd like to 'drive one' now!

Leno2.jpg

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

I've been waiting to see Farley's first attempt at creating a marketing department at Ford. I will reserve my judgment until I see the first ads but I seriously doubt that the extent of this ad campaign will begin and end with "Drive one" as some of you appear to believe. I may be going out on a limb here but I suspect that the phrase "drive one" will be incorporated into each ad along with different attributes that Ford vehicles now have. Such as quality, safety, sync, class leading NVH in numerous segments and the unfortunate pricing advantage they must currently use to compete. Overtime they may incorporate messages about the most improved residual values in the industry or the best driving dynamics one might find in certain segments such as Focus and Fusion. They may also incorporate the greenness of their lineup with Escape Hybrid and the upcoming Fusion Hybrid. They have alot of stories to tell that have been adding up for the last couple of years. Hopefully, they will release some of this information and magically a portion of the masses may return to a Ford dealer near you.

Instead of judging an ad campaign on a couple of words, let's see what the whole message is and then we tear it apart. Or maybe we will have to praise Mr. Farley as the genius that he is suppose to be.

You're right, initially. But after they start seeing this associated with "Fiesta"...

fordfiesta.jpg

...they won't even remember that old Korean POS. :shades:

I always think of the SHOgun when I hear Fiesta . . . :shrug: :burnout: Wish I could have 'driven one' of those back in the day . . . heck I'd like to 'drive one' now!

Leno2.jpg

Sooo true, i was thinking the same thing when i saw that photo. I have a picture of Jay Leno when he drove his SHOgun into the Fabulous Ford's Forever show about 5 years ago. The Fiesta (wait.... did i call it the right name?) will make a cool new SHOgun. (as others have mentioned).

A tag line isn't a campaign. It's only a tag line.

It's the campaign that interests me. How is the Tier 1 advertising linked with the Tier II/III? What message arre the conveying in the ads (print and TV). I don't think we have enough information to judge that as of yet. Ford advertising has been so jumbled in my eyes - the 'deal' ads have had very little in common with the 'Bold Moves' ads. How will they link it all together and stand out from the pack?

The WSJ article is interesting - but woefully short on details.

Leno2.jpg

You just proved my point, mate.

But here is a link for you to enjoy...and TomServo...listen to that SHO 3.0 purr...drooling.gif

Jay Leno's garage

See...I like a V6!

Edited by P71_CrownVic

+1

And Taurus X is Ford's best car...

Um.....NO.

That is how Ford is selling the Taurus.

No....word of mouth is how Ford is NOT selling the Taurus. If word of mouth were so great, the :redcard: 's would not need a thing to sell like hotcakes, aside from being stocked at F/L/M lots.

As far as the new slogan goes, I've heard worse.

Edited by Armada Master