New cars "too tough" for rescuers?

bri719

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

The story or page you were trying to access may have expired.

If you are having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo! News, try visiting the Yahoo! News home page or browse through the News site index. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.

Search: All News Yahoo! News Only News Photos Audio/Video Advanced

If you read through the whole story I was shocked to hear that the kids in the Fusion survived and the driver of the 2001 F-150 that hit them died on the scene of the accident. Of course seatbelt use was not mentioned nor the age or health of the other person. It is just a rare event that a midsize car comes out better then a fullsize pickup in a head on collision.

Edited by 2005Explorer

If you read through the whole story I was shocked to hear that the kids in the Fusion survived and the driver of the 2001 F-150 that hit them died on the scene of the accident. Of course seatbelt use was not mentioned nor the age or health of the other person. It is just a rare event that a midsize car comes out better then a fullsize pickup in a head on collision.

Yeah well, the '01 F-150 also wasn't known as the most safe fullsize pickup ever made either....

Mainly it was the extended cab that wasn't the safest. The regular cab and super crew's were good, for their time. The extended was missing something behind the driver for support. So the cab tended to buckle there, or roof cave in on rollover.

The 99-03 F-150 Extended Cab offset crash issue was directly traceable to the decision in 99 to offer the second row half doors on both sides of the cab. The 07 and 08 had the rear access door only on the passenger side. In doing so, they extended the length of the "box" that was the passenger compartment that was not reinforced by any means to keep it from compressing outwards in the event of a crush situation. In the offest crash, the crush forces that were channeled back towards the cabin wanted to collapse the cabin forwards like an accordian. In the 07-08, the B-pillar on the drivers side held tension and provided support to keep the roof from caving in or buckling upwards, thereby retaining its integrity to prevent cabin crush. In the 09 and later versions, though the half doors were able to keep the roof from crushing collapsing downwards due to their own regidity, the latch assemblies were not strong enough to hold the roof to the door to keep it from compressing upwards, allowing the cabin to crumple and compress longitudinally.

This was only seen in offset crashes where the frame was not able to provide additional longitudinal compression resistance with both rails. The crew cabs have B-pillars, so this wasn't an issue. The regular cab has a much smaller box, thus not needing this support. This problem was fully rectified in the 04 and up new body style F-150 by the addition of stronger structural members around the door openings on the extended cab passenger cab. If you look at the latches on the rear doors, their design and materials are also improved. The front crush structure also channels forces in a different manner in offset crashes than before, thus reducing the force load on the passenger cabin.

I used to own an 99 F-150 extended cab, and, yes, this did worry the heck out of me when I had to take 2 lane roads at night. Granted, I didn't do that too often, so, it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I would say it was a factor in me getting rid of the vehicle, but, it really wasn't since I didn't have the funds to get a safer vehicle.