Fords SVT Gt500...things they need to fix it...

The gt500 needs to be able to compete with the dodge viper and the chevy corvette now. It needs to have 500+ horsepower nopt any of this 475 crap. alos i herd that the base curb weight of the gt500 is going to be around 3800lbs....3800lbs!!! whats up with this. the Zo6 is weighing in at only 3100lbs. I think what ford needs to do to make an unbeatable cobra is to give it 500+ hoprsepower and take about 800 or lbs of the car...that can be done by making body parts out or aluminum or fiberglass or even carbon fiber..same with enigine componets..i think if you guys at ford just to the two things more power and less weight ull have an un beatable cobra...i love the look of it..just needs more performance...

The Mustang is NOT a competitor to either the Corvette or Viper. If you doubt this, try going to any GM or DCX dealer and asking to test drive a base model V6 Viper or Corvette. A 475 hp Mustang is just the latest ultra hi-po version of the car that's been available in base 6 or 4 cyl. models for 40+years..it wasn't a 'Vette competitor then, it isn't now. Anyway, 475 hp (even it if DOES require a supercharger) for around $40k and at just about any Ford dealer is nothing to complain about. If youthink you need more, buy a Z06.

alos i herd that the base curb weight of the gt500 is going to be around 3800lbs....3800lbs!!! whats up with this. the Zo6 is weighing in at only 3100lbs

NEWS FLASH:

The Mustang is a 4 pasxsenger vehicle, the Corvette only has 2 seats...and only needs the bodywork and chassis to house 2 seats. Is this weight issue getting any clearer?

well if this gt500 is soposed to be a competitor of the zo6 or the srt10 then lets bring back the cobra "R"....ford needs image cars...modern day supercars....i belive ford needs an ultimate mustang the gt500 is a good bang for the buck but i belive ford should put something out there on the market thatll give the consumer the edge over the zo6 or srt 10`s...with out paying the fordgt price..and yes i think the gt500 is to heavy yes its a 4 seater but it can be lighter...

Its called the Ford GT, chevy and dodge need to step up from cheap ass $75,000 cars.

Chip, pulley and tune =676 hp for only a few bucks on the Shelby. It should be relatively easy to make 800hp safely, and push the 1100 hp mark for the ones with the big balls. So shut up about it.

Edited by kevinb120

this is the last year for the FORD GT ....whats ford got in store for the vette n viper???nothing as of now
m

Question is, what segment is this car in? It is the original "pony car" and that segment is coming back. Ponycars were fun to drive ,somewhat affordable and a little quicker than most cars. The Mustang has re-captured most of that. The GT is the halo sports car, maybe they will do another such car when finances get a little better. Right now, we are lucky to get a Shelby with more power than any Mustang has ever had.

I'm happy with it, some would never be no matter what. Keep your Focus if the Shelby isn't enough for you.

the shelby seems like an excelent car..its just it seems like they should do a little more with it for 40k

40k, I had that dream too, some have suggested double the MSRP. It would be a nice car for 40k, taking what they put in it over a regular GT, I would buy it, if I could :(

the shelby seems like an excelent car..its just it seems like they should do a little more with it for 40k

Hell you cant even buy a 'luxury' rebadged camry for $40k... Not to mention it takes about 55k+ to get 330hp from BMW(40k is still 225hp maximum for them). So what do you think would be a good price?

Edited by kevinb120

for what it is right now..id say coupe around 36k convertable around 39k.....a lightend 500+hp model 40k ;)

How do you come up with these prices. You can't just arbitrarily through out numbers you like. What are the comparables available on the market? GEEZ, lower the price and up the HP. Talk about a tough customer.

How do you come up with these prices. You can't just arbitrarily through out numbers you like. What are the comparables available on the market? GEEZ, lower the price and up the HP. Talk about a tough customer.

Well, he's got a bit of a point. There's nothing about the GT500 that is more complex or expensive than any parts used on the 2003-2004 Cobras. In fact, I'd venture to guess the final costs of production would be LESS than the 03-04 Cobra due to the elimination of the overly-complex IRS setup. More power isn't more expensive to produce, especially considering all of the GT500 powertrain parts are off-the-shelf pieces. Slapping names of has-beens on the decklid and giving dealers free reign to overcharge for an "instant classic" on the other hand is what is driving the price up.

I would right now much rather see Ford build several somewhat mild performance cars with SVT engineering (Fusion SHO, Mach 1, BOSS, Lightning or Adrenaline) than build a Viper fighter. Honestly, Dodge only sells 10,000-something Vipers a year who cares about them. An affordable car with a mean engine would sell much better and do as much as or more for Ford's image than a Viper equivalent.

I would personally have rather seen a BOSS 281 and :bowdown: BOSS 330 :bowdown: than a Shelby GT500/GT350, BOSS is an in-house Ford name, I regard Shelby no higher than Saleen or Roush.

Guest Sixcav

You guys are all hung up on names, Boss, Shelby, GT350 this and 500 that. Then you turn right around and all admit that these are all off the shelf parts from the Ford bins. There's nothing special about a GT500 and we all know it. It's a 5.4 engine, supercharged, some slight mods to the suspension and a couple minor tweaks to the body lines. Aside form that, it's a Mustang GT. Just get the GT and do your own mods. It's not that tough to make a 4.6 GT just as fast as this GT 500 and for less money in aftermarket performance parts. Why pay Ford the thousands more for a label?

As for competing with the Corvette and Viper, the Mustang line was never designed to do that. Those are sports cars and the Mustang is a sports coupe. There's some pretty big differences actually. And for the guy that said GM and Dodge need to get a way from cheap ass $75,000 cars, you have no clue what you're talking about bud. The Europeans right now just absolutely hate the C6 because it eats the lunch of all their fancy fuck 100K plus Ferraris and such and for almost half the price. The Vette is finally a world class performer and it's relatively low price tag makes it very desireable. By the way, since when is $75,000 cheap? lol Not in my book. Lets face it, at this level, you aren't paying for materials in these cars, you are paying for performance level. Do you guys honestly believe that there's 35 thousand dollars more worth of materials in a Corvette than there is in a Mustang GT? No obviously not. Maybe 5 or 6 thousand at most. After that you are paying for the level of performance and name. We all know it, so lets just move on and quit bitching about it. Especially you Stewie!!!! lol

• 2 weeks later...
Hell you cant even buy a 'luxury' rebadged camry for $40k... Not to mention it takes about 55k+ to get 330hp from BMW(40k is still 225hp maximum for them). So what do you think would be a good price?

You're a little outdated on the BMW HP, but that's ok I generally agree with you. By the way BMW way under rates their horse power. ;-0