Big Al thinkking of selling Volvo

P71_CrownVic

^ :hysterical: Down Cujo!

name of my car alarm.....no charges as of yet, but drool is a bugger to clean up!......excuse the hostility, but there is not a morning gos by that lacks one or ALL of the above...its even worse when on the motorbike as one becomes more astutely aware of the goings on around ones vunerability.......a majority of drivers need a good swift kick, and its just getting worse/ more impatient as the years pass....I haven't had an insurrance claim for decades yet my premiums STILL continue to rise! SIK EM CUJO!

Edited by Deanh

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not me passing the laws...i'd have a friggin field day....anyone under 21 wouldn't be able to drive anything over 80 horsepower would be a doozie, anyone with 400 inch subwoofers causing neighbourhood nausea would be put in a soundproof cell and forced to hear looped Celine Dion mixes for 48 hrs whilst intreveneously fed Starbux quad expressos, those found guily of cell phone induced accidents forced to speak about their shame on national TV whilst naked, ( could be watchable here in So Cal...ahem ) people found not using turn signals, lane cutters, brake stompers with no-one in front of them, min vans in fast lanes, the ning-ning boys on japanes crotch rockets....list goes on....its just become a free for all and you tube fodder..........

hell, i sound like dennis leary!

Especially when you have people that may not even want it. I'd be more concerned about how a vehicle handles in less than stellar weather, or how well it protects occupants in the event of a crash over ABS.

I think being able to steer the automobile while braking to avoid colliding with another object would go a long way to protecting the occupants in the event of a (potential) crash.

Plus, one would think that if the two halo cars of the segment have ABS standard on ALL models...a "new for 2008" car in the same segment would have it as well.

I think being able to steer the automobile while braking to avoid colliding with another object would go a long way to protecting the occupants in the event of a (potential) crash.

Plus, one would think that if the two halo cars of the segment have ABS standard on ALL models...a "new for 2008" car in the same segment would have it as well.

how do they compare $ wise to the focus P?......

I'll check...D...

But it really doesn't matter as they outsell everything else in the segment anyway.

I doubt that is because of ABS though....you talking the Civic and the Corolla?.......funny...I remeber when A?C was an aftermarket item on civics...and not too long ago....I also have a feeling it is just a matter of time when ABS WILL be standard on all fords...especially in light of the fact they seem to be "transfixed" on upping content across the board......

Edited by Deanh

The Civic is more...but that is not surprising. What is surprising is that the base model Civic is very similar to the mid-range Focus. The base Civic has power windows...the Focus does not. All Civics have standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel...the Focus does not...on any model. All Civics have active front head restraints...the Focus does not...on any model. All Civics have a manual height adjuster for the drivers seat...the Focus only has it standard on the SES model. The Civic has a 5-speed auto tranny along with a 5-speed manual and a 6-speed manual. The Focus has a 4-speed auto and a 5-speed manual.

That being said, the Focus (MSRP) is anywhere between $600 and $1,400 cheaper than a comparable Civic. Not that big of a difference.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Wasn't Volvo part of the assets that Ford put up for the big loans it took out. I know JLR weren't, which enable them to be sold.

Ford would not mortgage Volvo. They would mortgage Volvo's Land, Offices, and Factories. Since plant and equipment depreciates quickly, they likely did not get very high percentage of it's value.

All they have to do is come to an agreement to sell Volvo for may be $1 billion. Get a short term bridge loan to pay off the debt associated with the Volvo assets. Pay off Volvo's debt of may be $300 million. Complete the sale. Pocket the may be $700 million difference.

Now where will you find a sucker to by it?

Yes. Volvo was part of the collateral. According to the terms of the agreement, at least per what came out last fall, proceeds from the sale of Volvo must go immediately toward retiring outstanding principal on the loan.

Depending on the terms of the loan agreement, there may not be any cash advantage to selling Volvo.

The Civic is more...but that is not surprising. What is surprising is that the base model Civic is very similar to the mid-range Focus. The base Civic has power windows...the Focus does not. All Civics have standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel...the Focus does not...on any model. All Civics have active front head restraints...the Focus does not...on any model. All Civics have a manual height adjuster for the drivers seat...the Focus only has it standard on the SES model. The Civic has a 5-speed auto tranny along with a 5-speed manual and a 6-speed manual. The Focus has a 4-speed auto and a 5-speed manual.

That being said, the Focus (MSRP) is anywhere between $600 and $1,400 cheaper than a comparable Civic. Not that big of a difference.

I'm with you, mechanically the focus engine is fine, but trans wise we have to wait for the Fiesta to get anything directly comparable in content/ sophistication to the civic, a car i beleive is superior to the corolla as well, BUT....i will say this in defense of my stylistically challenged American competitor....in the evnt of an accident i would much rather be in a focus than a civic OR Corolla....listen when one slams a door.....screw the star system.....

No.

Ford mortgaged Volvo.

And, per the agreement they have with their bankers, they cannot "pocket" the cash from any sale of Volvo.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/27/bloomberg/bxford.php

"For collateral, the company is using U.S. plants, other U.S. automotive assets and "all or a portion" of profitable units including Ford Motor Credit and Volvo."

Per a couple stories last year, the terms of the agreement are that Ford MUST use the proceeds from the sale of any of the collateralized assets to retire debt.

So many article's on the net in just one day, but Yesterday, one did quote Mullany saying, that as of right now, Volvo would not be sold until the company stabilizes,(in so many words). But that it was marked for sale and Mercury would be dropped. It stands to reason that as soon as they pay off the interest on the loans and Monies back, then they will make their move. Now speculation can run rampant for the next few years. I wish I could remember where I read it so I could post the link.

Volvo, drops off on sales or Ford doesn't need it anymore, they will jettison it and Mercury. and concentrate on the ONE FORD! Ford and Lincoln. It's called a smaller Ford. Well it should be, with Every 1st. and 2nd. World Country wanting in the auto game. I feel Ford will be around for my life time, and they will find their niche and exploit Ford's potential that way. I don't see them chasing every market like before, witness the drop-off on mini-van sales, just like they said would happen 4+ years ago.

If you don't know how to pump the brakes in the event of them locking up, you shouldn't be driving. Like anything electronic and mechanical things fail.

Further more you fail to realize that ABS isn't going to protect you in cases of someone running a red light or rear end collisions for that matter.

And I'm sorry but a Civic and Corolla aren't Halo cars.

Civic's with a 6-spd are Si models only. That is not an apples to apples comparo.

The Civic DX does not come with any of the following:

-A/C

-Power locks

-Center console

-Radio whatsoever

anyone with 400 inch subwoofers causing neighbourhood nausea would be put in a soundproof cell and forced to hear looped Celine Dion mixes for 48 hrs whilst intreveneously fed Starbux quad expressos

Jeez — did Beavis and Butthead visit the dealership? :)

If you don't know how to pump the brakes in the event of them locking up, you shouldn't be driving. Like anything electronic and mechanical things fail.

Oh please...can YOU pump the brakes as fast as an ABS controller?

Further more you fail to realize that ABS isn't going to protect you in cases of someone running a red light or rear end collisions for that matter.

No...your right. Thats where things like active front head restraints and rear head rests come into play.

And I'm sorry but a Civic and Corolla aren't Halo cars.

Then what would you call the two best selling cars in the segment?

So many article's on the net in just one day, but Yesterday, one did quote Mullany saying, that as of right now, Volvo would not be sold until the company stabilizes,(in so many words).

Yes, I suppose it is possible that Ford would try and sell Volvo once the company stabilizes, which, according to some analysts, is probably another 3 - 5 years off; but I wonder if Mulally will even be around by then. Speculation is that he may retire in 2010 when he's 65. If so, the CEO that replaces him may share a totally different view regarding Volvo. Food for thought if anything.