Big Al thinkking of selling Volvo

P71_CrownVic

RichardJensen, Edstock, everyone on this board:

RJ didn't I tell you mark my words; I said Volvo will be sold. I got flamed so bad for saying so from suckers like edstock, richardjensen, p71, and etc etc.

If it is sold, it would be because Volvo management has an attitude problem. I see no proof of this.

Right now Farley is fixing the marketing of Ford USA. I would think his next job would be to turn Volvo and Lincoln into quasi-Lexus. I don't think it was coincidence that Ford hired a marketing man from Toyota with Lexus experience.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's your argument going to be next year? And why do you keep going on about grab handles, what the hell does that have to do with safety equipment?

That's the great thing. Every 3-4 months, there's one less thing that we need to be saying "next year" about. We knew things were a mess years ago. But compare the things we were saying "it's coming" about 4 years ago and what we're saying "it's coming" about today. There are fewer and fewer arguments to be made against Ford all the time. Now we're hearing bitching about ABS, head rests, and grab handles? That's pretty weak fodder, and it's only going to get weaker going forward.

PSA (Peugeot Citroen) may be interested in Volvo down the track. Maybe Ford and PSA could expand

the diesel alliance to include hybrid technology and offer a stake in Volvo....

Just a thought, not saying it will happen.:)

PSA needs to merge with someone. I don't think they have the cash to buy anyone. I think all their cash is going into product development.

Renauld already has Infinity. They don't need it.

Only a rich Chinese company would want it. They will need another 5 years to become rich. May be a Russian Billionaire.

BMW could work. They have the money, need to expand, would know how to market Volvo and now has FWD resources with Mini. May be I should say that Volvo could help BMW with the Mini. They could evolve the EUCD platform into a new BMW platform and a light version to cover all Volvos and Mini cars.

Mulally may want to end Mercury, but I doubt if William Clay Jr wants to and he will have final say. Something tells me Clay Jr. won't let him. I doubt if Ford though will invest any significant money in Mercury until Ford is consistently profitable. Volvo in long run looks gone though.

I have said this before.....Mercury will not be dumped as long as the Ford family has control of Ford.....Edsel Ford himself created Mercury and disbanding the marque would be a slap in his face.

My guess would be that once the Ford and Lincoln brands are "righted" and set back on course...Mercury will be re-vitalized and will rise to her former glory days.

Now we're hearing bitching about ABS, head rests, and grab handles? That's pretty weak fodder, and it's only going to get weaker going forward.

Really, you think it is 'weak fodder' if someone questions why a car doesn't have ABS standard? Especially when the Corolla and Civic have it standard on ALL models and the Cobalt has it standard on select? You think that a car lacking basic essentials like grab handles and rear head rests is something that we should not complain about?

There is absolutely no excuse as to why a car that was just refreshed inside and out shouldn't have those basic essentials. The only reason Ford didn't include them AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT, is because they are cheap.

Correct Volvo did offer Dynamic Stability Assistance (DSA) when the S40 was introduced, but it is a traction control system not stability control.

DSA function was traction & stability.-Dynamic Stability Assistance (DSA) Volvo's DSA (Dynamic Stability Assistance) system increases driving stability in slippery conditions. If one or both driven wheels start to spin, the engine's torque is restricted instantaneously so that they regain their grip. DSA also promotes side stability in curves and reduces understeer when you accelerate out of them. DSA is automatically in the ready at every engine start, but can be disengaged using a button near the gear lever. The system is automatically disengaged during braking. (Included in Climate Package).From http://www.volvocars.us

And the euro T4 was offered DSA as standard - Volvo has developed Dynamic Stability Assistance (DSA), a computer system which monitors if either front driving wheel loses traction. If a wheel does suffer traction loss, DSA responds within 25 milliseconds by reducing engine torque to maintain steering control and stability. DSA operates at all speeds above standstill

And another source just in case which is a copy of a Volvo S/V40 manual

Dynamic Stability Assistance

Your car can be fitted with Dynamic Stability Assistance (DSA). This is a system that helps prevent wheel spin. It comes on automatically each time you start the car. It operates automatically at all speeds if one or both driven wheels start spinning. The ABS sensors tell the engine management system that the wheels are turning at different speeds. The engine management system then reduces power to the engine via the fuel injectors in 16 steps until no further wheel spin occurs.

This improves stability on winding and slippery roads, inclines and when accelerating from a standstill.

Switching DSA off

The system comes on automatically each time you start the engine. Switch DSA off by pressing the switch and holding it down for more than half a second. The control light will come on to show that DSA is switched off.

We recomend that you switch the system off whenever you use the "Special Spare" tire that does not match the diameter of your other tires.

Switching DSA on

If DSA is switched off, switch it on by pressing the DSA button. The system will also switch on automatically whenever you restart the car.

Self-test

When you switch the ignition on, the control light on the dashboard should come on briefly (until 2 seconds after starting the engine).

If the light stays on, this means there is a fault detected in the system.

Control light

Light stays on contInuously:

- (2 sec.) self-test running during start-up

- system not working because:

- switched off

- system error

Light flashing:

- Wheelspin, system in operation

http://www.motocykle.org/Dokumentacje/2000.../00sv40_02b.htm

Edited by MKII

I have said this before.....Mercury will not be dumped as long as the Ford family has control of Ford.....Edsel Ford himself created Mercury and disbanding the marque would be a slap in his face.

Considering that most of the current Ford Family wasn't even around when Edsel Ford died (1943), I really don't think they care much one way or other.

Really, you think it is 'weak fodder' if someone questions why a car doesn't have ABS standard? Especially when the Corolla and Civic have it standard on ALL models and the Cobalt has it standard on select? You think that a car lacking basic essentials like grab handles and rear head rests is something that we should not complain about?

There is absolutely no excuse as to why a car that was just refreshed inside and out shouldn't have those basic essentials. The only reason Ford didn't include them AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT, is because they are cheap.

I could be mistaken, but isn't ABS standard on the upper trim levels of Focus also? The fact that it's a high-take option and you'll hardly ever even see one on a dealer lot WITHOUT ABS makes your argument sound even dumber.

Dynamic Stability Assistance

Your car can be fitted with Dynamic Stability Assistance (DSA). This is a system that helps prevent wheel spin. It comes on automatically each time you start the car. It operates automatically at all speeds if one or both driven wheels start spinning. The ABS sensors tell the engine management system that the wheels are turning at different speeds. The engine management system then reduces power to the engine via the fuel injectors in 16 steps until no further wheel spin occurs.

This improves stability on winding and slippery roads, inclines and when accelerating from a standstill.

HA, I was wrong again. My bad. Volvo's naming conventions of some of their safety equipment has always thrown me off. Having said that the point being made was that Ford has not always lagged when it comes to vehicle safety on some of their vehicles, nor are they dependent on Volvo to institute it.

And yes ABS is optional across the board on the entire Focus lineup.

What the hell does an assist handle have to do with overall safety?

I could be mistaken, but isn't ABS standard on the upper trim levels of Focus also?

Nope, it's a $385 dollar option on the SES.

The fact that it's a high-take option and you'll hardly ever even see one on a dealer lot WITHOUT ABS makes your argument sound even dumber.

Then why not just make it standard...:idea:

Beats me. I agree that they should. But it's certainly low low low on the list of priorities of things worth bitching about.

Especially when you have people that may not even want it. I'd be more concerned about how a vehicle handles in less than stellar weather, or how well it protects occupants in the event of a crash over ABS.

Now if the Focus didn't offer it as an option or if it were priced a great deal more than the competition, then I'd have an issue. ABS should be optional on vehicles such as the Fusion and up, but an economy car :unsure:

Like whether or not they want airbags?

Well, I think the government has engrained the "safety" of airbags into consumers' heads so deeply now that hardly anyone would leave that box unchecked....plus they are mandatory by federal law. ABS isn't....though it soon will be when ESC becomes mandated.

It was just an example of another safety feature to further along the discussion.

I say delete airbags, no ABS, get rid of laminated glass, 5 mph bumpers, side intrusion beams, seatbelts, in fact ANY form of safety, but give them a cell phone with unlimited minutes and sort the men out from the boys...point? any form of safety is negated by driving incompetence....and another form of population control has been nixed.....

I say delete airbags, no ABS, get rid of laminated glass, 5 mph bumpers, side intrusion beams, seatbelts, in fact ANY form of safety, but give them a cell phone with unlimited minutes and sort the men out from the boys...point? any form of safety is negated by driving incompetence....and another form of population control has been nixed.....

To a point. Of the multi-vehicle accidents I have been involved in, all three were 100% unavoidable on my part. Heck, I wasn't even moving during 2 of them.

To a point. Of the multi-vehicle accidents I have been involved in, all three were 100% unavoidable on my part. Heck, I wasn't even moving during 2 of them.

cause....? basic answer, driver incompetence......no cells is a good first move, better driver education another, tailgating HUGE one, next up...deletion of cupholders and NO eating or beverages whilst driving....( must fess I'm one )......its coming......

cause....? basic answer, driver incompetence......no cells is a good first move, better driver education another, tailgating HUGE one, next up...deletion of cupholders and NO eating or beverages whilst driving....( must fess I'm one )......its coming......

Yes, OTHER drivers' incompetence. I'll keep my safety devices, thanks, because other idiots aren't going to disappear anytime soon no matter how many laws you pass.

And of course, even with no idiots left, there are still certain unavoidable things -- deer in the road, falling trees, meteorites descending from the skies upon thee.....

Edited by NickF1011

Yes, OTHER drivers' incompetence. I'll keep my safety devices, thanks, because other idiots aren't going to disappear anytime soon no matter how many laws you pass.

not me passing the laws...i'd have a friggin field day....anyone under 21 wouldn't be able to drive anything over 80 horsepower would be a doozie, anyone with 400 inch subwoofers causing neighbourhood nausea would be put in a soundproof cell and forced to hear looped Celine Dion mixes for 48 hrs whilst intreveneously fed Starbux quad expressos, those found guily of cell phone induced accidents forced to speak about their shame on national TV whilst naked, ( could be watchable here in So Cal...ahem ) people found not using turn signals, lane cutters, brake stompers with no-one in front of them, min vans in fast lanes, the ning-ning boys on japanes crotch rockets....list goes on....its just become a free for all and you tube fodder..........