A NEW CAPRI 2010?

Edstock

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the Mustang II have the old Falcon 6? Or did they bring that back for the first years of the Fox Mustang?

Don't believe the Fox body utilized a 6 cylinder at any time, except MAYBE in 1979-80. Do not really recall back that far. It did utilize the infamous 255 V8 for a couple years though. The Mustang II used a 2.8L V6. Don't know if the Falcon used that or not.

I'll have to go digging back through a paper I wrote for 2nd-year English in college where I covered every engine ever used in the Mustang from the Mustang I Concept through the 1999 SN95's, if I can find it. I thought I did a pretty good job. :)

Edited by NickF1011

Don't believe the Fox body utilized a 6 cylinder at any time, except MAYBE in 1979-80. Do not really recall back that far. It did utilize the infamous 255 V8 for a couple years though. The Mustang II used a 2.8L V6. Don't know if the Falcon used that or not.

I'll have to go digging back through a paper I wrote for 2nd-year English in college where I covered every engine ever used in the Mustang from the Mustang I Concept through the 1999 SN95's, if I can find it. I thought I did a pretty good job. :)

According to Wikipedia ("But Wikipedia says he was passionate about rehearsals" "Don't worry, we'll change it when we get home. We'll change a lot of things") the 3.3L I-6 was in the 'Stang from mid '79 to '82. Apparently due to a shortage of 2.8L V6s.

Edited by RichardJensen

According to Wikipedia ("But Wikipedia says he was passionate about rehearsals" "Don't worry, we'll change it when we get home. We'll change a lot of things") the 3.3L I-6 was in the 'Stang from mid '79 to '82. Apparently due to a shortage of 2.8L V6s.

Could be. Don't recall an inline in the foxes though. Think it would have trouble fitting.

Wayne Campbell moment: "I did not know that!"

Assuming that list is right, it also shows the 2.3 Turbo that was available in the Mustang GT in 83 and 84.

The 2.3 Turbo was available in 83 and 84 GTs. I think also the GLX?? The 2.8 from the Mustang IIs was a German design IIRC. I have never heard of an inline in anything other than a Granada. I didn't think the mustang had it.

The question with that car is: Can US accept a FWd (maybe AWD) Capri after many many RWD Capri's?

Igor

I think the larger question would be Ford or Mercury badging, as all Capris (both the RWD German Capri and Fox Capri as well as the FWD Ozzie Caprie) carried Mercury badging.

And the even larger question?

Will anyone really care?

I think the larger question would be Ford or Mercury badging, as all Capris (both the RWD German Capri and Fox Capri as well as the FWD Ozzie Caprie) carried Mercury badging.

And the even larger question?

Will anyone really care?

true true, but even if only a tiny minority cared - we might still run up against a New Coke situation. I know we would is Mustang was going to go FWD (Probe).

Maybe the FWD Aussie Capri opened the door. I would like it to have a blue oval on it - not a waterfall-whatever - but Ford NA usually :knows best" anyways ;)

Igor

Nah. I think the car would have to justify its existence off more than the Capri fans that have accumulated over the car's on again off again existence.

I mean with the Mustang, in '91 you were looking at close to 30 years of continuous production, with several million copies sold. With the Capri, have there even been 200k sold in the US?

I do know that Ford is still paying to keep both the Comet and Capri names trademarked, but that might be for collectible marketing purposes.

IIRC correctly, the Capri RS was a turbo 4cyl vs the Stang GT 5.0

The 79-86 Capri was always offered with all the same engine options as the Mustang including the GT's 5.0 V8.

Yes there was a 3.3 Liter I-6 engine which was used during a 2.8 liter V6 engine shortage starting in mid 1979. The 3.3 liter I-6 was the only 6-cyl. used in Fairmonts and Zephyrs from the get-go in 1978. With the 2.8 liter V6 engine shortage, the 3.3 liter I-6 was a direct drop into Mustangs and Capris since they used the same Fox platform.

In 1981, the Fox platform Thunderbird and Cougar got their first ever 6-cylinder engines which was also the 3.3 liter I-6. In 1983, it was replaced with a new 3.8 liter V6. That 3.8 liter V6 was also phased into the Mustangs, Capri, and the mid-sized LTD and Marquis.

Edited by Watchdevil

Here's the question: Is this sporty coupe, with four banger, now the right time at the right place?

Make it a Ford-branded Capri (sorry Mercury Division) and a sporty alternative to slot between Mustang and Focus. Seems like an idea.

Remember, the Cougar also came out when the Explorer ruled the road.

Here's the question: Is this sporty coupe, with four banger, now the right time at the right place?

Make it a Ford-branded Capri (sorry Mercury Division) and a sporty alternative to slot between Mustang and Focus. Seems like an idea.

Remember, the Cougar also came out when the Explorer ruled the road.

it would be a chick car so:

4 cyl, auto, fwd

The original Capri was not a Mercury. It was sold simply as a Capri sold through Lincoln-Mercury dealers. It was slang to call it a Mercury Capri. It was later redesigned into a hatchback and sold as a Capri II in 1976. It did not become a Mercury Capri until 1979 when it was a twin to the Mustang.

In the 1950's, there was a Lincoln Capri.

Whether or not Mercury continues to exist or it's put out of it's misery, there would be validity in offering a Lincoln Capri or just simply a Capri sold through Ford or Lincoln dealers. The Euro Capri was also a Ford, so they could be sold through Ford dealers as well.

Anyway, swapping around nameplates is nothing new. There were Lincoln Capris, Lincoln Zephyrs, Mercury Capris and Mercury Zephyrs. Then there was the Ford Cougar sold in Europe. Also, the Cougar name originated as oe of the front runners to the original Mustang as a nameplate, not to mention there were Ford Cougar two seat concept cars that preceeded the Mustang.

The point is, to preserve some really good nameplates and fill some niches in the likelyhood Mercury goes away, those nameplates can be sold as either Fords or Lincolns. Of course Lincoln is obsessed with everything MK so that might be a problem.

Edited by Watchdevil