It's Official:

So, if Ford locates all the manufacturing of its newer lines of cars to Mexico, that's OK with this board?

Ford, according to the labor agreement can close a few more plants. Suppose they close them in the USA and reopen them in Mexico.

That OK also? Well not with me.

Detroit has less footprint in the U.S. than the Japanese automakers. In my book, the U.S. automakers are the ones that create jobs in the U.S. by building plants in the U.S. Using this measuring stick, Detroit is ‘foreign’ automakers.

So, God bless the automakers, with U.S. assembly plants, who are building more, and who are turning out quality cars that rank high in safety, quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction.

Maybe you have heard of them. They are Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, and Hyundai.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....not quite too sure how to feel about this response. Overall, I agree with your tone....but....

I text message all the time.....and I have a huge stereo in my Mustang (I only really crank it up on the highway though where it doesn't bother anyone). Of course, most everything I own I did pay for myself.

I am also completely against the return of a draft. It's not a lack of conscription that is at fault. It is a lack of education. Forcing young men and women into the military isn't going to do much of anything to fix the fact that they graduated high school without even being able to read.

Hey, my graduation present after four years of college and degree was a draft notice and free physical in downtown Detroit treated like piece of meat. Luckily this was 1971 and Vietnam was winding down and I was in AFROTC in college and easy to pull strings and get my ass in Air Force. My best friend in high school decided to quit Michigan State University and join the Army and led a platoon in Vietnam. He got cut in half by 50 caliber machine gun and lots of fun going to his closed casket funeral. I probably knew at least 25 guys pretty well on that Vietnam Memorial Wall. One plus was Thailand where the females there are unbelievable. Yeah, it's pretty hard to relate to the privileged kids and times of today. We were crazier than kids of today, but times were sure different and draft and war was always present in your mind and threatened to tear your world apart at any moment. I was watching The Doors movie recently again and Val Kilmer playing the late Jim Morrison caught the times perfectly. I knew so many like him and most are dead.

So, if Ford locates all the manufacturing of its newer lines of cars to Mexico, that's OK with this board?

Ford, according to the labor agreement can close a few more plants. Suppose they close them in the USA and reopen them in Mexico.

That OK also? Well not with me.

Detroit has less footprint in the U.S. than the Japanese automakers. In my book, the U.S. automakers are the ones that create jobs in the U.S. by building plants in the U.S. Using this measuring stick, Detroit is ‘foreign’ automakers.

So, God bless the automakers, with U.S. assembly plants, who are building more, and who are turning out quality cars that rank high in safety, quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction.

Maybe you have heard of them. They are Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, and Hyundai.

They just MOVED PRODUCTION FROM MEXICO TO US!!!! - F-Series for Latin America were built in Mexico - they just moved that volume to US. They did not close any extra plants in US to move them to Mexico - they allocated a new product there ... and again ... OMG WHAT A SHOCK _ WE HAVE KNOWN THIS FOR A YEAR!!!

Igor

Mexico is better than China or Japan because for better or worse our economies are heavily intertwined.

So to the extent we can raise the standard of living in Mexico it will have a fairly direct positive impact on the United States.

China and Japan on the other hand manipulate their currency or trade rules to take advantage of us.

Also with Ford at least profits come back to the area.

The bright side is that we will be exporting U.S. made pickups instead of making them in Mexico.

But the loss of U.S. Manufacturing plants is something the next president needs to address and yes we should make sure that the tax code does not provide any tax writeoffs, subsidies or shelters for expenses incurred in locating jobs outside our border.

Mexico has banned any imports of used cars from the USA except ones made in 1998 only. Where is the bright side in that?

The only reason Ford is not building them in China is, transport from Mexico to the USA is simple and cheap, and if I am correct, can be done by trucks registered in Mexico.

Ford Fiesta for North American customers will be produced at Ford’s Cuautitlán Assembly Plant beginning in early 2010

Sporty European hatchback model added for North America, alongside popular sedan

Cuautitlán Assembly Plant transformed from large-truck to small-car production as part of Ford’s manufacturing realignment and investment in smaller, fuel efficient vehicles

New diesel engine line at Chihuahua Engine Plant and a new joint venture transmission plant with Getrag in Guanajuato also planned

Hmmmm....looks like Jim Farley got his wish and Hatchback Fiesta is coming to America...a 3 door hatchback I presume and a 4 door sedan. It doesn't specify 3 door or 5 door hatchback. Maybe Ford will do both hatchbacks. And at least Ford threw a bone to American plants by putting all South American production of big trucks into American plants. I wonder what the volume is in production numbers. I imagine the bulk of production goes to Brazil. Also what transmission they are talking about...dual clutch???

Mexico has banned any imports of used cars from the USA except ones made in 1998 only. Where is the bright side in that?

The only reason Ford is not building them in China is, transport from Mexico to the USA is simple and cheap, and if I am correct, can be done by trucks registered in Mexico.

it is about NEW cars - STUPID!!! ...

w/e

to ignore list he goes ... I'm done with his balbber ... BTW - for those interested .. MLHM5's avatar can also be found on Furious1auto's photobucket account ... hmmmm ...

Igor

Ford Fiesta for North American customers will be produced at Ford’s Cuautitlán Assembly Plant beginning in early 2010

Sporty European hatchback model added for North America, alongside popular sedan

Cuautitlán Assembly Plant transformed from large-truck to small-car production as part of Ford’s manufacturing realignment and investment in smaller, fuel efficient vehicles

New diesel engine line at Chihuahua Engine Plant and a new joint venture transmission plant with Getrag in Guanajuato also planned

Hmmmm....looks like Jim Farley got his wish and Hatchback Fiesta is coming to America...a 3 door hatchback I presume and a 4 door sedan. It doesn't specify 3 door or 5 door hatchback. Maybe Ford will do both hatchbacks. And at least Ford threw a bone to American plants by putting all South American production of big trucks into American plants. I wonder what the volume is in production numbers. I imagine the bulk of production goes to Brazil. Also what transmission they are talking about...dual clutch???

AN report s that BOTH 3door and 5door are coming - per Ford spokesperson.

Igor

Can someone win 2 DR.Js in a single day????? :hysterical:

Igor

That is good news Igor. You were spot on about Fiesta and diesel engines going to Mexico. Fiesta and Fusion Mexican built and nice profit margin. Focus, Mustang, and Taurus American built and that my friends is a decent car lineup from Ford. Potentially, you are looking at close to 1 million vehicle sales out of that bunch. 500,000 sales from Mexico and about the same from American built cars. Focus is already at about 250,000/year and Fusion about 150,000/year not even adding in Milan and MKZ. A new Mustang should be good for over 100,000/year and new Taurus next year should be good for over 100,000/year is priced right. And I really believe Ford should be able to sell every Fiesta they can make no problem based off of early buzz and Fusion should be good for 200,000/year with hybrid model and new engines and interior and exterior refinements. The big problem Ford Dealers will have with Fiesta is getting enough to sell. Ford Dealers near me already have problems getting enough Focus and Fusions on their lot to sell. Fusions in Metro Detroit sell better than Focus does.

Fusions in Metro Detroit sell better than Focus does.

No Kidding, I was driving a tester Fusion (black, I4 Stick, SEL, SAP) in Northern Ohio (Cleveland) and I felt like I was in an alternative universe - I had to work to find a Camry or an Accord, let alone an Altima - but Fusion - there were so many, I had to remember where I parked (black seems a popular color for the Fusion) - it was incredible - they were all over the place ... simply amazing.

I wish I could use the same kind of adjectives about the car - I have no idea how Ford did it, but they took a refined Mazda engine and made it feel and sound trashy .... oh and I guess firewall sound deadening was on backorder when this car was built.

Otherwise we liked it quite a bit.

Igor

No Kidding, I was driving a tester Fusion (black, I4 Stick, SEL, SAP) in Northern Ohio (Cleveland) and I felt like I was in an alternative universe - I had to work to find a Camry or an Accord, let alone an Altima - but Fusion - there were so many, I had to remember where I parked (black seems a popular color for the Fusion) - it was incredible - they were all over the place ... simply amazing.

I wish I could use the same kind of adjectives about the car - I have no idea how Ford did it, but they took a refined Mazda engine and made it feel and sound trashy .... oh and I guess firewall sound deadening was on backorder when this car was built.

Otherwise we liked it quite a bit.

Igor

Yes, in Metro Detroit the Fusion outsells the Impala, the Malibu, the Camry, the Focus, the Accord, and the Sonata by wide margin. It is best selling car in Southeast Michigan. It sells like the old Taurus used to sell and yes they flood Metro Detroit streets. You will see three times more Fusions on these streets than Focus. The Edge sells like crazy around here too. Good to hear they flood Cleveland streets too. I think a lot of it that you can get real good price on one, especialy an I4 and they have a lot of room for the money. And they have wonderful quality. Can't wait for the 2010 to appear and all the improvements.

Can someone win 2 DR.Js in a single day????? :hysterical:

It's easy when the audience is from Kansas.

BTW, if the car is not at least assembled in the U.S., I will not buy it. The key for me is whether or not the product supports the American economy by creating good paying jobs. Toyota, Honda, Hundai… are building plants here in the U.S. while Ford are shutting down operations at an American plants and ship the jobs south of the border.

Of course, once they get there they remember how to build a good looking vehicle like the Fusion

21348.gif

Edited by mlhm5

Dude. You have the power. Wield it wisely.

Or irresponsibly. I don't care. At least until I DO care, and when that happens, lordy mamma you better look out!!!

I was about to make this post my fourth award of the day but I decided to take your advice and exercise restraint. :shades:

Igor

No, that was just their interpretation of what he answered.

For all we know he could've simply told them "we're building all three for NA".

Doesn't mean the 5 door will make it to the US, just look at the Yaris. The 5 door isn't offered in the US, but it's sold in both Mexico and Canada, therefore that model is sold "in NA". I just don't see any reason why FNA would hide that bit of info in the press release, hatchbacks are a niche market here and only the 3 door was shown in Detroit.

Edited by pcsario

It's easy when the audience is from Kansas.

BTW, if the car is not at least assembled in the U.S., I will not buy it. The key for me is whether or not the product supports the American economy by creating good paying jobs. Toyota, Honda, Hundai… are building plants here in the U.S. while Ford are shutting down operations at an American plants and ship the jobs south of the border.

Of course, once they get there they remember how to build a good looking vehicle like the Fusion

21348.gif

THEN YOU WILL NOT BE BUYING A SUB COMPACT, I GUESS.

Does anyone think that he will read and comprehend, what has been said about 25 times in this thread................ by posting it all in caps???

Nah, that would be giving him too much credit. :rolleyes: