2010/2011 Fiesta spy pics

GT40 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought you didn't like the acres of horizontal buttons all over the center stack?

I was speaking more from a quality perspective, not a design perspective. Even given that, the buttons are the only place I really find fault on the MKS's interior design. The rest seems to fit the bill pretty well.

Fact is, one of the things I have a beef with on the Fiesta is a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD PART (the mirror control) so don't go insisting that I'm against progress.

How can you really change a mirror control piece though? That part is used in many current Ford vehicles, (Expy, F-150, etc...) if not all.

The only current alternative is to go to a "pad" type system, like it Toyotas or BMW's:

ag_07corolla_dash.jpg

bmw_3seriessedan_328i_2008_interior_doorcontrols_640x480.jpg

Personally, I don't really mind which type of switch they use, but I will agree with you RJ that it should be flat and facing forward for easier use.

Edited by rmc523

Obviously they are pretty much near production on this thing with an interior that looks just as close to done as the '10 Mustang. Why the hell are they talking about waiting until FY2010 for release? This looks like it could roll next summer.

As for buttons/switchgear, Toy and Honda still have 15+ year old switchgear in thier cars, the 1993 camry steering wheel finally left with the new Highlander, and the cruise lever is the exact same one in my 1989(last year) MR2.... I think Ford wastes too much time as it is with changing standard switchgear, and they have as many things like steering wheels as they do platforms. They are finally tightening up the development dollars instead of wasting so much they can't afford to flesh out the final product. And don't get so horny on Toyonda, they are getting blasted for the newest cars having hard dashboards and cheap plastic.

Edited by kevinb120

I'm not griping about the stereo buttons, they at least are grouped in some kind of order (presets on one side media selectors on the other).

But the centrally located lock switch is one of those stupid Euro specific idiosyncrasies that drives me up a tree.

I was in a brand new Passat the other day, and you have to stick the key fob into a slot and then push the fob in to start the car. You stop the car by pushing the fob again. It is, hands down, the stupidest system I've ever seen in a car. But at least this car has a lock switch on the door.

Except if you hit the lock switch on the driver's door with the door open it locks every door except the driver's door.

Stupid, stupid, stupid 'let's do things different--not better--just different' mentality.

Well with SYNC, I rarely even touch the stereo anymore. And who uses lock switches? The car unlocks automatically when you turn it off and Ford's pull handles unlock the doors(unlike GM's which can trap you in the car after an accident). In the past 4 or 5 cars, I can't remember using a key in a door or the lock button on the inner door panel. And if they don't come with it, the keyless pad will surely be available as an aftermarket(one of the 10 best auto gizmos ever-better then nav units....)

I also can't believe the comments on switchgear, sounds like quite a few people haven't been in a car in years, it all looks fine to me. Hell just in the past few years since 2003 I have owned:

2001 Mustang GT

2003 Focus SVT

2003 Focus

2005 Mustang GT

2006 Mustang

2007 Mustang GT

2007 Edge

2008 Fusion

Not to mention driven tens of thousands of cars from every brand. Somehow I think it will have a radio, power windows, mirrors, cruise, and all the buttons to match, just like any car.

This car looks like it is final evaluation, those are all production pieces. I can't believe they need any more time then Feb 09 to roll it.

Edited by kevinb120

My comment about the mirror switch is, in context, directed to someone who suggested my problem was with today's newfangled cars. It's not.

Also, a partial suggestion for its awkward placement is that's where the toggle goes if the stripper model doesn't have a remote mirror control.

And finally, have none of you disabled that annoying auto lock/auto unlock? I use the central lock switch all the time when I'm picking people up, also, I find a quick flick of the lock switch to be easier than using the keyfob when exiting the car.

Cruise Control buttons are on the wheel - as are the Audio buttons.

see here: http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/2/15/3.../1018super3.jpg

Richard what you see is the right control stalk - it is flat-rectangular in profile on EU Fords - and absent on US Fords.

Right stalk is for wind shield wiper controls and left one is for blinkers, long lights, trip computer and bluetooth - I have to admit the bluttoth button seems out of place there - but w/e

And I have to go celebrate that EU Ford finally ditched the stalk mounted Audio controls ... they were getting very obsolete.

Also notice the door panel here: http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/2/15/3.../1017super3.jpg

Igor

Igor, looking at your picture, I noticed something awkward, at least for us US Ford owners.

http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/2/15/3.../1018super3.jpg

Notice the headlight controls....they're normal, but then looking at the foglight controls, what are the 0 (I assume off), 1,2,3,4 for? On the foglight symbol above the switch it appears there may be arrows above and below the light "beam", are the numbers to control the angle of the light? If you don't know maybe some of our European counterparts could help out? Thanks.

I think I would go monochromatic with the center stack trim and lose the psuedo-polished allum accents.

As far as the Civic, I can't say I'll ever be used to the interior. It's functional, but it's not my favorite thing about the car. I do think the exterior on the coupe looks considerably better than the anything else in it's class.

Out of it's class, I am more impressed with the Fiesta every time I see it. What a great-looking little car. And yes, Ford needs design like this to appeal to a younger audience. While my Civic's interior is proof that there is such a thing as too much, visually I dig the Fiesta interior much more.

My mother's BMW 3-series has the put the keyfob thing in a slot and press start thing. I didn't see the point of it. My brother's and father's keyFOB for the new Altimas are awesome. If the thing is in your pocket, get in and press the start button, and go.

<EDIT> I got passed by a light green 08 Focus today. While still hideous, it's growing on me, like a stale mold. It helped that this version didn't have the gaudy chrome vent things. I wouldn't buy one, but ya gotta admit it's a good value and I am seeing more of these things here in SoCal.

A little OT: I also got passed by a Subaru Tribecca. I honestly think that thing is uglier than an Aztec, which is quite terrifying.

On the 3 series comment, if she had the comfort access package, you'd perform the same function as the Altima you mentioned, keeping the key in your pocket and just pushing the button.

My comment about the mirror switch is, in context, directed to someone who suggested my problem was with today's newfangled cars. It's not.

Also, a partial suggestion for its awkward placement is that's where the toggle goes if the stripper model doesn't have a remote mirror control.

And finally, have none of you disabled that annoying auto lock/auto unlock? I use the central lock switch all the time when I'm picking people up, also, I find a quick flick of the lock switch to be easier than using the keyfob when exiting the car.

I have not disable the auto lock feature, I like having it. Our vehicles don't auto unlock though. I too use the unlock/lock switch when picking people up, etc.

Edited by rmc523

Obviously they are pretty much near production on this thing with an interior that looks just as close to done as the '10 Mustang. Why the hell are they talking about waiting until FY2010 for release? This looks like it could roll next summer.

Well I think the main problem is assembling. Cuautitlan's overhaul isn't exactly something that can be done overnight. The vehicle might be ready, but that doesn't mean much if you have nowhere to build it. With Europe's Fiesta production capacity already maxed out, the thought of importing it from there in the meantime is also a non-starter.

Igor, looking at your picture, I noticed something awkward, at least for us US Ford owners.

http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/2/15/3.../1018super3.jpg

Notice the headlight controls....they're normal, but then looking at the foglight controls, what are the 0 (I assume off), 1,2,3,4 for? On the foglight symbol above the switch it appears there may be arrows above and below the light "beam", are the numbers to control the angle of the light? If you don't know maybe some of our European counterparts could help out? Thanks.

the photographed car is equipped with HID headlamps - they need manual or automatic leveling - in EU and in US - this is a standard control. My Mazda3 has a very similar one for its HID's

normal cars without HID's will not have that knob.

Igor

the photographed car is equipped with HID headlamps - they need manual or automatic leveling - in EU and in US - this is a standard control. My Mazda3 has a very similar one for its HID's

Igor

In Europe Fords this manual leveling headlamp feature is standard on all headlamps not just for HID equipped vehicles.

And for the front fogs you pull the main headlamp control out one click, and for rear fog light two clicks.

Maybe I need to start paying attention to more newer cars (or cars in general, being primarily a truck guy), but that center stack just looks goofy. I realize that many of the ergonomic complaints people/car magazines may have are things that owners would get used to, but some of that stuff I just don't get. The mirror switch, while odd, is still relatively intuitive. And I agree on the lack of center armrest. I've rented cars (most recently a Mazda5) without them, and had to shove something in between the seats.

What a gull-a-BULL!

What a nin-COW-poo-poo!!

What an ignoranamus!!! :D

No center armrest is an absolute deal breaker for me. I would never buy a car that I couldn't be comfortable in.

the same here, but many competitors simply have seat mounted arm rests - this might have the same thing .. but who knows ..

Igor

Igor

Oh, ok. Thanks. I didn't realize that there was a manual leveling for HIDs, our BMW does it automatically, so I thought that's how all HIDs worked.

In Europe Fords this manual leveling headlamp feature is standard on all headlamps not just for HID equipped vehicles.

And for the front fogs you pull the main headlamp control out one click, and for rear fog light two clicks.

Rear fog light? Are those the lower red lights on most European cars?

No center armrest is an absolute deal breaker for me. I would never buy a car that I couldn't be comfortable in.

the same here, but many competitors simply have seat mounted arm rests - this might have the same thing .. but who knows ..

Igor

I was going to say, maybe they will/could install seat mounted armrests, like in Range Rovers.