OAC News

otp

And now our CAW is talking about getting together with another big union. WTF, they already told us they don't care about 707's wishes.

It is a conflict of interest for the CAW to be representing Voight and Automodular. Those workers want our jobs. They are taking our jobs, and the union that we are paying is helping them do it. Either they drop Voight and Automodular, or we should drop them. We could start a new union, or go back to the UAW.

Edited by Trimdingman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These people don't work for Ford. They are doing the work now, only in their own plants. They have two huge plants in Oakville. They work regardless of whether Ford workers are laid off. We have Autopark doing shipping, but they are outside in the yard. Those jobs used to be ours, very high seniority jobs; now being done largely by people hired out of a temp agency. They are non-union until they get their time in, which is never because they are casual labor out of a temp agency; which our union used to be against. I have attended brainwash sessions where the union spoke out against temp agencies. Now they are going along with it. It is a disgrace to see how low we have sunk.

It's Autoport, not 'Autopark.' And yes, they are unionized. Teamsters. Their local seems to be good, as I witnessed a few people get brought over from STAP. They're good people and are very helpful/sharp.

Old paint shop is being torn down right now. As as far as what the old Freestar body shop will be, we'll also be bringing more part sequencing in house.

Edited by tresmonos

Can someone tell Balazs to post the OAC 707 Reporter Magazine for December on the 707 website so others (STAP and Windsor people) know whats going on at OAC now that the bulk of Ford of Canada employees work there.

Any news ? future product? what shifts are you working now?

Agreed this would be a great idea 707 is last man standing for us 1520 guys

• Like 1

Can someone tell Balazs to post the OAC 707 Reporter Magazine for December on the 707 website so others (STAP and Windsor people) know whats going on at OAC now that the bulk of Ford of Canada employees work there.

Any news ? future product? what shifts are you working now?

Our 707 reporter is so far behind that anything you read in it is already known throughout the plant by the time you get it.Future product?? really?? we don't even know if we are off 1 or 2 week's for July shutdown.The company and union like to keep us @ oakville in the dark as long as posssible.In fact has anyone from the company or the union come out with a letter telling us why we are only working 8 hour's?Ya i v'e heard the rumour's about part shortage's but it isn't official.Also didn't have hour's or job's posted on Thursday when i left.Supposed to be posted by 2pm on thursday.

It's Autoport, not 'Autopark.' And yes, they are unionized. Teamsters. Their local seems to be good, as I witnessed a few people get brought over from STAP. They're good people and are very helpful/sharp.

Old paint shop is being torn down right now. As as far as what the old Freestar body shop will be, we'll also be bringing more part sequencing in house.

The ones I talked to when I worked out in the yard a year or so ago didn't know about any union as they were from a temp agency. They are supposed to be Teamsters, but temps will never get into the union.

Our 707 reporter is so far behind that anything you read in it is already known throughout the plant by the time you get it.Future product?? really?? we don't even know if we are off 1 or 2 week's for July shutdown.The company and union like to keep us @ oakville in the dark as long as posssible.In fact has anyone from the company or the union come out with a letter telling us why we are only working 8 hour's?Ya i v'e heard the rumour's about part shortage's but it isn't official.Also didn't have hour's or job's posted on Thursday when i left.Supposed to be posted by 2pm on thursday.

The U.S. government is getting the Fed to print money to artificially stimulate the economy and artificially build confidence in the minds of the people, hoping to get them to spend and revive the economy. If the people see that the auto industry is strong, it bears this out. That is maybe why we do not have sales slumps any more, just parts shortages.

Our 707 reporter is so far behind that anything you read in it is already known throughout the plant by the time you get it.

Yep.

Future product?? really?? we don't even know if we are off 1 or 2 week's for July shutdown.The company and union like to keep us @ oakville in the dark as long as posssible.In fact has anyone from the company or the union come out with a letter telling us why we are only working 8 hour's?Ya i v'e heard the rumour's about part shortage's but it isn't official.

Our union reps are too busy kissing every NDP canidate that might win the fed NDP leadership election tonight. No word from Bob Scott or our executive committee on what is going on with the short hours, but you can bet we'll be hearing about the next dance at 'our' Galaxy Hall with flyers being handed out at the gate.

Ford is not obligated to inform us.

The jobs being outsourced are mostly jobs held by senior workers. I don't know if that is legal under the Ontario Human Rights Commission. They are not supposed to target senior workers. Since they banned mandatory retirement, "ageism" has been added to the list of protections, along with racism, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

They aren't targeting senior workers, just the jobs they are doing. The junior worker is the one that gets laid off in the end right?

It is a conflict of interest for the CAW to be representing Voight and Automodular. Those workers want our jobs. They are taking our jobs, and the union that we are paying is helping them do it. Either they drop Voight and Automodular, or we should drop them.

The company wanted two-tier wages and the CAW leadership gave it to them, albeit in a different format -- let's call it "son of two-tier". I remember that fat bastard Chernicki pounding his fist on the desk at one meeting and shouting "we will not sell our jobs" (to two-tier wages). What a lying prick!

I agree with you, it is a conflict of interest and I think the national leadership should be held accountable for this. Failure to truly represent the membership should never be tolerated. For starters we should demand that Voith be de-certified as part of the 707 local. Who the hell ever thought that them being a part of our local was a good idea? What a disgrace!

Oh yeah, from now on we should also hold the leadership accountable for failing to make available all details of a potential agreement. Seems like they've been getting into the habit the last few years of not mentioning any of the details that could potentially stop them from "selling it to the membership". Big brother knows best after all you know... Pretty bloody sad when you have to fight your own union for us all to have a chance at true democracy.

BTW, for what it's worth, a contract worker for one of the vendors let it slip out last summer that they are building something to bring to Oakville for 2014.

There has also be talk in the plant between the skilled trades about a new engine and dash line being run by outside sources. It was kind of comical because the assumption was that OAC trades would be looking after the new equipment. If the lines are to be run as a separate entity then I'm sure that couldn't be farther from the truth.

BTW, for what it's worth, a contract worker for one of the vendors let it slip out last summer that they are building something to bring to Oakville for 2014.

I've seen that buffalo stamping plans on adding 211 people to their plant. As a supplier to oac, they must be getting ready for something, maybe?

I've seen that buffalo stamping plans on adding 211 people to their plant. As a supplier to oac, they must be getting ready for something, maybe?

Buffalo is getting ready to take our door line away from our body build. More jobs lost in OAC. Ask Bob Scott, our union chairman.

They aren't targeting senior workers, just the jobs they are doing. The junior worker is the one that gets laid off in the end right?

Senior workers are given an ultimatum. Retire or go back on the line. There is no quarter or accomodation; no respect or human dignity. They would probably take a layoff rather than go back on the line. Seniority is supposed to work in a way that as you get older, you gain seniority and get easier jobs as you are not young anymore and able to do strenuous labor. By eliminating the jobs that are done by senior workers, they are as much as saying, "We don't want you old farts. If you can't handle it, leave." They wouldn't get away with these tactics if another group was targeted; say women, or blacks, or gays. Since the government of Ontario ended mandatory retirement at age 65, there are a few other changes to the legislation as well to protect the rights of senior workers. The union and company should read it. They cannot refuse to train or promote workers based on their age. If a 65 year old gets a job that requires a year's training, they are obliged to train him just the same as if he was 35 years old. If they by-pass him for training, he can take them to the OHRC.

Edited by Trimdingman

Senior workers are given an ultimatum. Retire or go back on the line. There is no quarter or accomodation; no respect or human dignity. They would probably take a layoff rather than go back on the line. Seniority is supposed to work in a way that as you get older, you gain seniority and get easier jobs as you are not young anymore and able to do strenuous labor. By eliminating the jobs that are done by senior workers, they are as much as saying, "We don't want you old farts. If you can't handle it, leave." They wouldn't get away with these tactics if another group was targeted; say women, or blacks, or gays. Since the government of Ontario ended mandatory retirement at age 65, there are a few other changes to the legislation as well to protect the rights of senior workers. The union and company should read it. They cannot refuse to train or promote workers based on their age. If a 65 year old gets a job that requires a year's training, they are obliged to train him just the same as if he was 35 years old. If they by-pass him for training, he can take them to the OHRC.

Well,i guess if Ford want's to get rid of alll the seniority job's i'll just have to play the game and spend my remaining year's on k-14.Over the year's i have watched alot of people walk around and do much of nothing and getting lot's of overtime in the process.Perhap's the last 4-5 years of my time at frod will be spent sitting in the computer lab.Or maybe i can act like i have an intrest in helping my fellow worker and run for a union position and spend the last year's talking in circle's.I'm afraid we are in for a BIG sell out in the next contract.5-6 dollar wage reduction.As soon as Ford dangle's a nice bonus check in our face's we will forget about who's going to pay for our pension's and take the bait.

Well,i guess if Ford want's to get rid of alll the seniority job's i'll just have to play the game and spend my remaining year's on k-14.Over the year's i have watched alot of people walk around and do much of nothing and getting lot's of overtime in the process.Perhap's the last 4-5 years of my time at frod will be spent sitting in the computer lab.Or maybe i can act like i have an intrest in helping my fellow worker and run for a union position and spend the last year's talking in circle's.I'm afraid we are in for a BIG sell out in the next contract.5-6 dollar wage reduction.As soon as Ford dangle's a nice bonus check in our face's we will forget about who's going to pay for our pension's and take the bait.

What would happen if they outsourced all jobs done primarily by women? Women would have to scramble to find new jobs. They would find them themselves in court so fast it would make your head spin. Senior workers are recognized as a definable group, just like women, under the Ontario Human Rights Commission. How can they get away with targeting seniors for job outsourcing?

Edited by Trimdingman

I heard through the grapevine that OAC has production employees on layoff and on notice of layoff. Is this true. Anyone have numbers. Are you working two eights? Any other news from OAC since your website is useless.

yes last week i heard 50 members were laid off & we are still on 10 hrs production.

I heard that our guys and gals from STAP have all been given their indefinite layoff notices...is this true? Guess i will never get a shot to go to Oakville, sucks cuz i was really hoping for a chance. Guess i will have to cut my ties with Ford and take my severance.

Edited by STAPline2

I heard that our guys and gals from STAP have all been given their indefinite layoff notices...is this true? Guess i will never get a shot to go to Oakville, sucks cuz i was really hoping for a chance. Guess i will have to cut my ties with Ford and take my severance.

If I was young, I would get into something else, also. It looks like they eventually plan to outsource everything. The auto industry will no longer be high paying. The middle class is disappearing fast. You have to get into the upper class, or you will be a plebean slum dweller transit user.

I was talking to our last Windsor member in Body & he was told to report to Trim Monday. He also told me that there are another 25 members being placed on lay off as of Monday. I really feel for you guys out in the London area I really don't see any future in our plant unless Body,Paint,& Material Handling go back to 3 shifts!!! :shift: When we were in our last negotiations our president Ken Lewenza said that St. Thomas Vote unanimously to close the plant. My question to you is, what did he promise or say so that the members of St. Thomas voted to close the plant??

Edited by schumi1919