'Boss' 6.2L

When is the 'Boss' 6.2L scheduled to replace the V-10 in the Super Duty? I am thinking about getting a 6.8L V-10 before they stop making them. If you have been following any of the other threads on the 'Boss', some posts (by people who's opinion I respect) are saying the 6.2L may not be all that great.

When is the 'Boss' 6.2L scheduled to replace the V-10 in the Super Duty? I am thinking about getting a 6.8L V-10 before they stop making them. If you have been following any of the other threads on the 'Boss', some posts (by people who's opinion I respect) are saying the 6.2L may not be all that great.

I thought the 6.2 V8 was cancelled?

I don't think we'll ever see it, and if it wasn't so great, it wouldn't have put up such good times in the Roush Mustang, beating the blown GT motor that was in it prior.

But then Ford does ony have one powertrain engineer, if they can't build a low tech naturally aspirated V8, how in the hell are they going to build a complicated direct injection twin turbo V6?

I wouldn't be the least surprised if the ecoboost engines are 1-2-3 years late..

I don't think we'll ever see it, and if it wasn't so great, it wouldn't have put up such good times in the Roush Mustang, beating the blown GT motor that was in it prior.

But then Ford does ony have one powertrain engineer, if they can't build a low tech naturally aspirated V8, how in the hell are they going to build a complicated direct injection twin turbo V6?

I wouldn't be the least surprised if the ecoboost engines are 1-2-3 years late..

rofl - you are still on your kick? get over yourself. You used to bash people like mlmh5 for going on and on and on about the same shit not listening to anyone....looksie!! now you turned to the same moron.

As of today the 6.2l is still alive for SD as the V10 replacement. In an environment of industry-wide 19% decline in sales I am sure you can understand that Ford does not have firm plans at this moment - re-evaluating all prior plans in the light of the new marketplace. So yes the BOSS might bite the dust - it is a possibility - but it has not yet and there is a good chance it will not.

Igor

Edited by igor

rofl - you are still on your kick? get over yourself.

Excuse me? What should I be? Happy since it's been a week since Ford announced they suck?

You used to bash people like mlmh5 for going on and on and on about the same shit not listening to anyone....looksie!! now you turned to the same moron.

Uh, he was bashing Ford for stupid shit and praising Toyota.

I guess it must be nice to get freebies from Ford, but since I don't have that I can be unbiased, if they fuck up over and over and over, what good does it do to pat them on the back? Maybe we should applaud the idiots who decided that roof pillar strength has nothing to do with safety either? Or any of the other retarded things Ford has done over the years which has put them in the mess they are in. Ford is similar to our government, they pretend everything is rosy while the ship is sinking, and apply band-aids to things that need intensive care. Oh well, I guess you've lost all sense of objectivity..

As of today the 6.2l is still alive for SD as the V10 replacement.

But if it's the mess you say it is, how can that be??

In an environment of industry-wide 19% decline in sales I am sure you can understand that Ford does not have firm plans at this moment - re-evaluating all prior plans in the light of the new marketplace.

What's funny is that if they had listened to some people on message boards years ago, they'd be in a much better position right now, some of us wanted C1 in 05, we were right, Ford might actually have the best selling C car rather than being 23k behind the Civic. I along with others also said they should bring the Fiesta here ASAP, what did Ford do? They waited until after gas prices went through the roof to make a decision, and now at earliest it will be here in 2010, a full two years from now. I thought they should have built a dedicated hybrid car, or at least a hybrid Focus, and even some of the Euro diesels.

They don't plan and think ahead, they just react, this is what lead to these endless cancellations and continual direction changes. Before they can ever move one direction, they change course at the last second, and move in a different direction, rinse, repeat, rinse. Just imagine what could have been if all the money, engineering, and pd wasted on black holes like Lincoln's direction, Jaguar, now the Boss, and all the other crap they've flipped on??? They need to make a concrete plan, and stick with it for once! And they need to stop making last second knee jerk reactions, that just shows they don't know what the hell they are doing and that they are followers. One of the few things they've got right the past few years is Sync, maybe those guys should be running the whole company.

Can you imagine if on the eve of the intro for the first ecoboost engines they cancel them, give some idiotic excuse, and say they are just going to stick with their current engine line-up?? Would you have a problem with that or would you just go "Ford knows best!"

So yes the BOSS might bite the dust - it is a possibility - but it has not yet and there is a good chance it will not.

Igor

The company that invented the V8 can't figure out how to build one, and they are going to give us TT DI VVT engines? I guess they'll have to outsource everything since they apparently have no more engineering talent left.. :nonono: Makes me wonder about the safety of their cars as well, kinda scary. If they don't pull off a miracle in the next year, I'll be buying a new GM or Chrysler, Ford has nothing more exciting than a piece of cardboard other than the Mustang, and even it will come out with carry over non-competitive engines next year because the flaming imbeciles in marketing think it's a good business plan to kneecap the 10 Mustang..

I expect more excuses, whining, and insults, in the meantime, I'l be trying to raise ol Henry so we can get our Ford back from these businessmen who've never changed a spark plug their whole lives. I wonder how long it will be before Ford gets it's parts from China? It's cheaper, so why not? Fits the theme, cancel, cheaper, cut, snip, good enough!!

Excuse me? What should I be? Happy since it's been a week since Ford announced they suck?

Uh, he was bashing Ford for stupid shit and praising Toyota.

I guess it must be nice to get freebies from Ford, but since I don't have that I can be unbiased, if they fuck up over and over and over, what good does it do to pat them on the back? Maybe we should applaud the idiots who decided that roof pillar strength has nothing to do with safety either? Or any of the other retarded things Ford has done over the years which has put them in the mess they are in. Ford is similar to our government, they pretend everything is rosy while the ship is sinking, and apply band-aids to things that need intensive care. Oh well, I guess you've lost all sense of objectivity..

But if it's the mess you say it is, how can that be??

What's funny is that if they had listened to some people on message boards years ago, they'd be in a much better position right now, some of us wanted C1 in 05, we were right, Ford might actually have the best selling C car rather than being 23k behind the Civic. I along with others also said they should bring the Fiesta here ASAP, what did Ford do? They waited until after gas prices went through the roof to make a decision, and now at earliest it will be here in 2010, a full two years from now. I thought they should have built a dedicated hybrid car, or at least a hybrid Focus, and even some of the Euro diesels.

They don't plan and think ahead, they just react, this is what lead to these endless cancellations and continual direction changes. Before they can ever move one direction, they change course at the last second, and move in a different direction, rinse, repeat, rinse. Just imagine what could have been if all the money, engineering, and pd wasted on black holes like Lincoln's direction, Jaguar, now the Boss, and all the other crap they've flipped on??? They need to make a concrete plan, and stick with it for once! And they need to stop making last second knee jerk reactions, that just shows they don't know what the hell they are doing and that they are followers. One of the few things they've got right the past few years is Sync, maybe those guys should be running the whole company.

Can you imagine if on the eve of the intro for the first ecoboost engines they cancel them, give some idiotic excuse, and say they are just going to stick with their current engine line-up?? Would you have a problem with that or would you just go "Ford knows best!"

The company that invented the V8 can't figure out how to build one, and they are going to give us TT DI VVT engines? I guess they'll have to outsource everything since they apparently have no more engineering talent left.. :nonono: Makes me wonder about the safety of their cars as well, kinda scary. If they don't pull off a miracle in the next year, I'll be buying a new GM or Chrysler, Ford has nothing more exciting than a piece of cardboard other than the Mustang, and even it will come out with carry over non-competitive engines next year because the flaming imbeciles in marketing think it's a good business plan to kneecap the 10 Mustang..

I expect more excuses, whining, and insults, in the meantime, I'l be trying to raise ol Henry so we can get our Ford back from these businessmen who've never changed a spark plug their whole lives. I wonder how long it will be before Ford gets it's parts from China? It's cheaper, so why not? Fits the theme, cancel, cheaper, cut, snip, good enough!!

Boss or no Boss, Ford needs to expand its cars fuel effiency more than putting a gas sucking 6.2 V8 in the SD and F150.

By outsourcing most of it to Bosch !

While the twin turbo 3.7L for the MKS is on schedule, I can not comment on the rest of the EcoBoost "fleet".

Boss or no Boss, Ford needs to expand its cars fuel effiency more than putting a gas sucking 6.2 V8 in the SD and F150.

Your half right.

Ford needs the 6.2L in SuperDuty for 2 reasons. Fuel economy and cost. Yes, cost. I have been screaming about this here for months. 8 cylinders cost less than 10. Somehow the Modular Mafia convinced the bean counter for years that the obvious was not true. I guess a few of those old farts got retired off (like me) and a couple of the new bean counter didn't think that Kool Aid tasted right.

Ford is still a great light/medium duty truck company. With diesel sales dropping off on SD, more and more gas engines will be sold. Lower costs = bigger profits. Simple as that. The real question is, "Once in production, does the 6.2L cost less than the 5.4L 3V and how does the fuel economy compare between these 2 engines ?"

Your half right.

Ford needs the 6.2L in SuperDuty for 2 reasons. Fuel economy and cost. Yes, cost. I have been screaming about this here for months. 8 cylinders cost less than 10. Somehow the Modular Mafia convinced the bean counter for years that the obvious was not true. I guess a few of those old farts got retired off (like me) and a couple of the new bean counter didn't think that Kool Aid tasted right.

Without a doubt! Particularly now the V-10 has 3 valve heads (30 valves, springs, seats, followers, ect....). Oh, and BTW- the V-10 needs a balance shaft to run smooth too. Should have modernized the Lima's, at least they could have also been used in heavy trucks.

Your half right.

Ford is still a great light/medium duty truck company. With diesel sales dropping off on SD, more and more gas engines will be sold. Lower costs = bigger profits. Simple as that. The real question is, "Once in production, does the 6.2L cost less than the 5.4L 3V and how does the fuel economy compare between these 2 engines ?"

Yeah theoldwizard, your right. I thought about it and the SD does need the 6.2 to replace the V10 because all the engines in the SD suck fuel. Right now, i wonder and wonder if the 6.4 gets better fuel mileage than the 6.8 or if its reversed but either way, the SD needs it and it does deliver good fuel economy, then the F150 should get it but i stick by what i said it my other post that ford needs to expand its cars fuel economy.

Just thinking out loud here, Igor or others would likely have more incite into this, but I was thinking maybe the 6.8 will be replaced with the 6.2/BOSS around the same timeframe that the 6.4/PSD is replaced by the 6.7/Scorpion? So basically all new engines all at once, maybe for an MCE? Again, I'm just thinking out loud here.

....Mustang, and even it will come out with carry over non-competitive engines next year because the flaming imbeciles in marketing think it's a good business plan to kneecap the 10 Mustang..

What makes you think the Mustang will have carry-over engines?

What makes you think the Mustang will have carry-over engines?

I think the 4.0 Cologne will be dropped because it sucks fuel. The 4.0 needs to be replace with the 3.5 or 3.7 or even a 4.0 Duratec.

The Ranger, B4000, Mustang, Mountaineer and Explorer are the only Vehicles to use the 4.0 Cologne and i think it should be replaced with a newer V6.

Also, the 4.6 V8 and the 5.4 V8 need to leave the Mustang and put Ecoboost 3.5 or 3.7 V6 in the Mustangs and Explorers/Mountaineers.

I think the 4.0 Cologne will be dropped because it sucks fuel. The 4.0 needs to be replace with the 3.5 or 3.7 or even a 4.0 Duratec.

No question that the 4.0L SOHC is "marking time" Ford's problem is they need another product to go into that plant or face serious "issues" with both the union and the German government ! It's a lot more difficult to shutter a plant in Germany than it is in the US !

P.S. I don't think there is such a thing as a 4.0L Duratec, even on paper !

The Ranger, B4000, Mustang, Mountaineer and Explorer are the only Vehicles to use the 4.0 Cologne and i think it should be replaced with a newer V6.

Also, the 4.6 V8 and the 5.4 V8 need to leave the Mustang and put Ecoboost 3.5 or 3.7 V6 in the Mustangs and Explorers/Mountaineers.

From my understanding of what I've read, it appears the 2010 Mustang's engine lineup will include the 3.5, the EB 3.5, and the 5.0 V8. There are also rumors of I believe an EB 2.5, and IIRC, maybe an EB 5.0. I'm not sure if the GT500 would retain the 5.4 or change motors.

I believe the Cologne is being phased out, I'm not sure what would replace it at the plant though.

Ranger will be replaced in a couple years, (I'd assume the Mazda would be replaced as well, or maybe just dropped), Mustang if rumors are right will be receiving the 3.5, as stated above, and the Explorer/Mountaineer (if the Mounty is kept) will be redone with likely the EB 2.5 and EB 3.5 as in the concept.

No question that the 4.0L SOHC is "marking time" Ford's problem is they need another product to go into that plant or face serious "issues" with both the union and the German government ! It's a lot more difficult to shutter a plant in Germany than it is in the US !

P.S. I don't think there is such a thing as a 4.0L Duratec, even on paper !

a 4.0 Duratec should happen with in a few years, i remember someone mentioning it.

From my understanding of what I've read, it appears the 2010 Mustang's engine lineup will include the 3.5, the EB 3.5, and the 5.0 V8. There are also rumors of I believe an EB 2.5, and IIRC, maybe an EB 5.0. I'm not sure if the GT500 would retain the 5.4 or change motors.

I believe the Cologne is being phased out, I'm not sure what would replace it at the plant though.

Ranger will be replaced in a couple years, (I'd assume the Mazda would be replaced as well, or maybe just dropped), Mustang if rumors are right will be receiving the 3.5, as stated above, and the Explorer/Mountaineer (if the Mounty is kept) will be redone with likely the EB 2.5 and EB 3.5 as in the concept.

Yes, i do believe a 2.5 EB is suppose to debut in the Fusion and Milan along with the Regular version and the Hybrid version. I do think however if Ford redesigns the Ranger and it gets a 2.5 EB or 3.5 EB then the Mazda B-Series should be dropped because it would really look weird for a Mazda 2500 or a Mazda 3500 or even a Mazda 3700 should it recieve the Duratec 3.7 V6.

I wonder how the Hybrid 2.5 would do in the Ranger but come to think about it, im sure the EB 2.5 would do better than the Hybrid, especially in a pickup truck.

Is the new 5.0 V8 a Triton or Modular engine? or is it a smaller version of the upcoming 6.2 V8?

Would the Hybrid 2.5 or 2.5 EB fit in the Focus?

Edited by FordFanForEver

Yes, i do believe a 2.5 EB is suppose to debut in the Fusion and Milan along with the Regular version and the Hybrid version. I do think however if Ford redesigns the Ranger and it gets a 2.5 EB or 3.5 EB then the Mazda B-Series should be dropped because it would really look weird for a Mazda 2500 or a Mazda 3500 or even a Mazda 3700 should it recieve the Duratec 3.7 V6.

I wonder how the Hybrid 2.5 would do in the Ranger but come to think about it, im sure the EB 2.5 would do better than the Hybrid, especially in a pickup truck.

Is the new 5.0 V8 a Triton or Modular engine? or is it a smaller version of the upcoming 6.2 V8?

Would the Hybrid 2.5 or 2.5 EB fit in the Focus?

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw a Mazda B-series on the road. I'm all for dropping it. Whatever limited sales it has could be easily scooped up by a better Ranger.

I wanna say the 5.0 is a modified/smaller version of the 5.4, but I'm not sure. Other like Igor would likely know better than I in this situation.

And to answer your last question, I'm not sure if the 2.5 of any form would fit in the Focus.

The 5.0 is a revised Modular engine with VCT. It is not a punched out 4.6 or destroked 5.4. Direct injection will follow. At the moment, you will be seeing a 400hp model in the Mustang GT and a 360hp version in the F-150.

For all intents and purposes MOD Motor = Triton.

The 5.0 is a revised Modular engine with VCT. It is not a punched out 4.6 or destroked 5.4. Direct injection will follow. At the moment, you will be seeing a 400hp model in the Mustang GT and a 360hp version in the F-150.

For all intents and purposes MOD Motor = Triton.

the 5.0l is basically a bored and stroked 4.6l The block is close to the 4.6l - very close - the head is new - asit incorporates 4 valves per cylinder and 4 cams.

the engine is basically perfectly square.

Igor