Oh, but it does make sense. People want to smoke, they have to pay more. Smokers cause higher insurance rates, higher government health costs, they cost companies a great deal of money, and they endanger the health of others.

not condoning either side, and I am AVIDLY anti smoking...but can't the same be said for those that don't know their drinking limits?....or Calorie intake.....or prescription pill limit..or...or...or...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, but it does make sense. People want to smoke, they have to pay more. Smokers cause higher insurance rates, higher government health costs, they cost companies a great deal of money, and they endanger the health of others.

So tax them and let the taxes go to paying for those expenses. To tax them and use the money for something else is stupid. All you end up doing is creating programs that won't be funded in the future. Then what do they do? They find something else to tax instead. This is just one more step in a continuing cycle.

not condoning either side, and I am AVIDLY anti smoking...but can't the same be said for those that don't know their drinking limits?....or Calorie intake.....or prescription pill limit..or...or...or...

And I say the same thing about Alcohol too. If you want to drink, you're going to pay. Food is more difficult. People never have to smoke or drink (alcohol) again, but they have to eat again. It's probably the worst addiction. Steps are being taken in the food area too though with the beginning of bans on trans fat and the promotion of health food, but more needs to be done.

And I say the same thing about Alcohol too. If you want to drink, you're going to pay. Food is more difficult. People never have to smoke or drink (alcohol) again, but they have to eat again. It's probably the worst addiction. Steps are being taken in the food area too though with the beginning of bans on trans fat and the promotion of health food, but more needs to be done.

would KILL me, sure do like a lick of red every now and then....and the barbeques for parties of 20 or more ( quite frequent in Summer ) sure would be either SPENDY or BORING!

MORE needs to be done? Are you out of your mind? If people want to slowly kill themselves, let them. I don't want to live in a freaking nanny state where the government tells me everything that is good for me. There are laws to protect people from smoke. It is banned in most public indoor places now in much of the U.S. There are drunk driving laws to discourage people from hurting others by drinking. People make fatty jokes if you eat to much. That should be enough to keep you thin. :P

Maybe you'd also be for the nanny government telling you that your cars don't need more than 100 horsepower and there's absolutely no reason they should be able to travel faster than 100 km/h?

MORE needs to be done? Are you out of your mind? If people want to slowly kill themselves, let them. I don't want to live in a freaking nanny state where the government tells me everything that is good for me. There are laws to protect people from smoke. It is banned in most public indoor places now in much of the U.S. There are drunk driving laws to discourage people from hurting others by drinking. People make fatty jokes if you eat to much. That should be enough to keep you thin. :P

Maybe you'd also be for the nanny government telling you that your cars don't need more than 100 horsepower and there's absolutely no reason they should be able to travel faster than 100 km/h?

problem in all cases is self controlled consumption...everything is ok in moderation correct?....well, maybe not smoking....but is that Cabernet?

MORE needs to be done? Are you out of your mind? If people want to slowly kill themselves, let them.

I don't think that we should let them. I'm not talking about eliminating foods, only making those that are out there less dangerous. Thankfully, they now post most of the information so you can find things out for yourself, but food needs to be made healthier overall. Alcohol is a difficult subject. There's really not much you can do with it other than banning it and that isn't an alternative.

problem in all cases is self controlled consumption...everything is ok in moderation correct?....well, maybe not smoking....but is that Cabernet?

Hell, even smoking in moderation probably isn't going to cause any grave harm. Only problem is it's very difficult to smoke in moderation.

But yes, everything in moderation.

I don't think that we should let them. I'm not talking about eliminating foods, only making those that are out there less dangerous. Thankfully, they now post most of the information so you can find things out for yourself, but food needs to be made healthier overall. Alcohol is a difficult subject. There's really not much you can do with it other than banning it and that isn't an alternative.

No, food doesn't need to be "made healthier". If I want to eat something that is bad for me, that should be my right. Let the companies put the healthy options out there and let consumers decide. Wow. Personal responsibility. There's a novel idea!! :idea:

Hell, even smoking in moderation probably isn't going to cause any grave harm. Only problem is it's very difficult to smoke in moderation.

But yes, everything in moderation.

then at times i am guilty as charged....is that an 05 napa?

No, food doesn't need to be "made healthier". If I want to eat something that is bad for me, that should be my right. Let the companies put the healthy options out there and let consumers decide. Wow. Personal responsibility. There's a novel idea!! :idea:

classic...I remember this one...McDonalds gettinglambasted for adding a "meat" flaovoring to their french fries....by a Muslim faction that considers Cows SACRED....how bout this NAPPY HEAD....DON"T EAT EM!@$%^&%^%$#!!!!!............point is, even when given A CHOICE ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR SOME....

Edited by Deanh

If we have healthier alternatives to trans fat that does not cause negative effects on quality should we still allow trans fat to be used? If so, why?

Because consumers should have a choice, that's why. It starts with trans fat. Then what? There's too much sugar in Coca-Cola? There's not enough fiber in ice cream? There's too much caffeine in coffee? Where do you draw the line?

unbelievable!!......so now we are going to save people from themselves......so in your nanny state could a person be prosecuted for eating the wrong kinds of food?.....I can see it now...."Your Honor, I clocked Mr. Jones going 75 mph in a 55 mph zone...and a subsequent search of his vehicle turned up 3 kilos of beef tenderloin, a half pound of ground round and 2 pints of Chunky Monkey".........

Edited by napfirst

.so in your nanny state could a person be prosecuted for eating the wrong kinds of food?

Most definitely not. Companies however could be fined for using banned ingredients (trans fat)...as they can now in places like New York.

Edited by suv_guy_19

If we have healthier alternatives to trans fat that does not cause negative effects on quality should we still allow trans fat to be used? If so, why?

y'know, as a kid we ate what we ate, it was never an issue, i never knew what a trans-fat was, or fat content ( sturated or UN-staurated ) sodium content, carbs, protein...you name it...we were oblivious...BUT, our meals were all home cooked, always had veges, New Zealand meat is known to be good...we were all OBLIVIOUS to this crap....then again , our entertainment was a soccer ball, tennis raquets, boxing ring and running, there WAS NO computer screen complete with game. World is slowly going to pot! and peoples common sense has become redundant....

This isn't about becoming a nanny society, its about becoming a healthier and longer lived society.

So if none of our cars could drive over 60 mph and had only 100 horsepower, we'd undoubtedly see fewer traffic fatalities. How about it? Sounds like a good plan to me, right?

We should all be forced to live in one-story houses also. I'm sure countless people are crippled falling down stairs every year.

We should also ban all contact sports. Those can be dangerous.

Ban pencils while you're at it. Those pointy things can be deadly!!!

Why does something always have to be taken to an extreme to make a point? We're not talking about cars, or houses, or pencils. We're talking about making food better. We're talking about making smokers pay to kill themselves and the same thing for alcohol.

There really is no such thing as common sense.

as far as food habits goes, thats becoming blatantly obvious.....we never had fast food chains barring fish and Chip/ meat pie stores, and it was considered a once a week treat, ( mmmm Friday night Fish and Chips ) NOT a norm, sadly society has become so time constrained conveinience outweighs logic....thus the preponderance of fast food chains on four of every corner....AND the lines are long day in and day out