Ford Revives "Hurricane" V8 To Battle Hemi by 2008

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard they were losing sales to Dodge, seems to me that the F-Series has been breaking its own sales records in recent years.

Well all I know is that ford was use to saleing almost 1.000.000 trucks the year before last and last year they had a hard time getting over 900.000 so if you cant do the math.....there loosing ground!

Edited by ford1

Why is everybody concentrating on trucks? The Hemi is used in their car lines as well. The Mustang, and more importantly, the Panthers desperately needed this engine years ago.

You are so right! This engine could be like the hemi if ford does it right. Put it in the cars, trucks,and anything then can like dodge does and it will sale!

Now this leeds me to ask what should it be called?? Because a 'name' is what got the hemi where it's at today. I think it has to be a name from the past like 'Boss' 'Cobra-jet' something that people can relate to from the past.....All I know is the engine needs to get here and get here in a hurry because ford is loosing ground to dodge and GM.

Well all I know is that ford was use to saleing almost 1.000.000 trucks the year before last and last year they had a hard time getting over 900.000 so if you cant do the math.....there loosing ground!

um not quite:

http://www.fordf150.net/ford_news/ford-tru...record-2004.php

Undisputed Champion: Ford F-Series tops its own all-time truck sales record with more than 912,000 units sold in a single year. During the past 25 years, F-Series has been the only nameplate to cross the 800,000 annual sales mark in the U.S.

www.ford-trucks.com might have the F-150's sales numbers and market shares somewhere, probably in their forums. It's been forever since I've seen where it is though.

The Hurricane in a Mustang or other car would have as big of an impact on Ford as the EFI 302 V8s did in the late '80s and early '90s. A brand new Hurricane'd car would be awsome....

Not a particularly glowing endorsement. Fox body sales weren't exactly burning up the charts in the early 90's.

The FOX bodied 5.0s, 1982 through 1993, did more for establishig Ford's performance image among young people than all the millions spent on official factory support of professional motorsports over the last 40 years. Believe me, I was there during the great 60s "Total Performance" and "Powered By Ford" years (bought a new 65 Mustang Fastback). The great masses still preferred driving their GMs and Mopars on the street (and taking them to the local drag strips). Even today, this past preference is reflected in the Barrett Jackson auctions of 1960s era cars. In spite of all Ford's racing programs ($$$), the anti-performance Ford notion prevailed until the Foxes/5.0s arrived in 1982 (The Boss is Back). I'm not sure Ford knew what they had produced (given Ford's history, maybe it was an accident); but the Fox cars captured the street performance scene like nothing else since the Flathead V8. The demand for FOX aftermarket parts have given us the great variety of performance enhancements that can be used on Mustangs from 1965 on up. Wanna bet on future collectibles?.........IMO put your money down now on Fox Mustangs.

Wanna bet on future collectibles?.........IMO put your money down now on Fox Mustangs.

There's only a few Fox bodies I can see being any bit desirable in the long term as "investments":

1. 84-86 SVO

2. 93 Cobra & Cobra R

3. 79 Indy Pace Car

And then a few of the limited edition anniversary cars and promo cars (like the 7-Up models). I can't see anyone ever getting too excited over an 83 Mustang GT.

I do agree with your assessment that it did good at re-establishing Ford's credibility in the performance market though, which gave it momentum that has carried through to the Mustang of today. It hasn't always been reflected in the sales though.

Edited by NickF1011

I don't think the name "Hurricane" will win any popularity contests after Katrina and a few other choice ones over the years. However,the "Boss" moniker is already associated with Ford.So,wake up Ford and build a big,bad,BOSS.But not in a pickup truck,in a Mustang!! Sorta like mine,only brand new.

post-22884-1145910029_thumb.jpg

post-22884-1145910141_thumb.jpg

I don't think the name "Hurricane" will win any popularity contests after Katrina and a few other choice ones over the years. However,the "Boss" moniker is already associated with Ford.So,wake up Ford and build a big,bad,BOSS.But not in a pickup truck,in a Mustang!! Sorta like mine,only brand new.

Well, it seems to be a pretty safe assumption from the rumor mill that "Hurricane" is only an internal project name and not the production name. "BOSS" works for me too.

The FOX bodied 5.0s, 1982 through 1993, did more for establishig Ford's performance image among young people than all the millions spent on official factory support of professional motorsports over the last 40 years.

yep.... we were there when Vanilla Ice was rollin' in his "five point oh"

I don't think the name "Hurricane" will win any popularity contests after Katrina and a few other choice ones over the years.

Not to pick on you Boss, as I have seen a couple people make this argument. Anyone notice that Porsche still makes the 911?

Me, I still think BOSS has the most marketability.

Not to pick on you Boss, as I have seen a couple people make this argument. Anyone notice that Porsche still makes the 911?

Me, I still think BOSS has the most marketability.

Yes, but the Porsche 911 was around for several decades before that number had any significant meaning to the American public. I think more than a few people would raise a stink if they had JUST introduced that model name in the past couple of years.

The FOX bodied 5.0s, 1982 through 1993, did more for establishig Ford's performance image among young people than all the millions spent on official factory support of professional motorsports over the last 40 years. Believe me, I was there during the great 60s "Total Performance" and "Powered By Ford" years (bought a new 65 Mustang Fastback). The great masses still preferred driving their GMs and Mopars on the street (and taking them to the local drag strips). Even today, this past preference is reflected in the Barrett Jackson auctions of 1960s era cars. In spite of all Ford's racing programs ($$$), the anti-performance Ford notion prevailed until the Foxes/5.0s arrived in 1982 (The Boss is Back). I'm not sure Ford knew what they had produced (given Ford's history, maybe it was an accident); but the Fox cars captured the street performance scene like nothing else since the Flathead V8. The demand for FOX aftermarket parts have given us the great variety of performance enhancements that can be used on Mustangs from 1965 on up. Wanna bet on future collectibles?.........IMO put your money down now on Fox Mustangs.

The biggest reason for the 5.0L success is its longevity without changing much for nearly 15 years! From 1982 till 1995, the Engine was found in the Mustang. This meant a large and willing pool of people willing to modify their cars after the warranty was over, more so then any other car then out in the market.

The biggest reason for the 5.0L success is its longevity without changing much for nearly 15 years! From 1982 till 1995, the Engine was found in the Mustang. This meant a large and willing pool of people willing to modify their cars after the warranty was over, more so then any other car then out in the market.

Hardly changed? You're forgetting about that wonderful innovation added in 1985 (??) called FUEL INJECTION. It completely changed the game and the aftermarket pretty much had to start from scratch on it. EFI was paraded as the death of Mustang performance at the time. In hindsind, it probably SAVED the car from extinction. It wasn't until AFTER fuel-injection was introduced that the aftermarket for the 302 REALLY took off. So the real era of "5.0 performance" is generally limited to the years after EFI was launched.

What? They sold just over 900,000 last year, so check your math.

The last 3 years they have the 3 best years ever and according to Ford Mag. they are 5% ahead of last years sales and gaining market share while Dodge is loosing market share so check the facts before you post something.

Hardly changed? You're forgetting about that wonderful innovation added in 1985 (??) called FUEL INJECTION. It completely changed the game and the aftermarket pretty much had to start from scratch on it. EFI was paraded as the death of Mustang performance at the time. In hindsind, it probably SAVED the car from extinction. It wasn't until AFTER fuel-injection was introduced that the aftermarket for the 302 REALLY took off. So the real era of "5.0 performance" is generally limited to the years after EFI was launched.

Yeah but that isnt as major of a change like having the Mod motor put into it in 96 or going though 3 different heads in 9 years (2V 96, 2v Hipo 99, 3v 05+). Also not to mention most people who dragged raced when EFI came out pulled all that off and ran carbs ;) The other change to the Fox Mustang was the addition of MAF in 1987.

Yeah but that isnt as major of a change like having the Mod motor put into it in 96 or going though 3 different heads in 9 years (2V 96, 2v Hipo 99, 3v 05+). Also not to mention most people who dragged raced when EFI came out pulled all that off and ran carbs ;) The other change to the Fox Mustang was the addition of MAF in 1987.

True, it wasn't until the EFI stangs ditched that air density crap that they really started reaching their potential.

Well said!! The 80's and the SBF 5.0 era was a special time. Only recently has the glow deminished from Ford being the underdog's overachiever car brand.

• 4 weeks later...
This engine should have allready been out......Ford is going to keep on and there going to loose more sales to dodge.

It is not the trucks that Ford is loseing the sales in. But in the full size car segment. Ford has led this segment for years and years for 20 some to be exact. The New full size DCX's have effectively kicked Ford outta it. With no small part due to the Hemi. Ford lost a sale with my self after 26 years of Full size Ford ownership, I jumped ship to DCX more for the HP and the fact that the car is not the same as the one I have owned for the past 14 years.

This is where Ford is getting creamed.

The Panthers seen their largest sales drops when the LX cars hit the market. After remaining fairly steady.

I do not think it is all cause of the LX cars but they certainly played a big part in it.

If DCX does build the Imperial and Ford is stupid enough to actually cut the TC (one of the best selling luxery cars on the market period) it is only going to intensify the situation.

DCX has not been a competitor in the Luxery segment for years if not decades. With the LX cars they have the base resourses to do so.

Then there is the Challenger . What is that going to do to Mustang sales? It will not hurt the Base engine units. But what kind of impact is it going to have on the profitable GT sales?

Ford needs to awswer the Hemi and fast.

It will not hurt F-seires sales much if at all. As in that segment structural integrity and durabilty is as or more important than HP.

Matthew

I'll tell you in my little simplistic brain where Ford missed the boat...and in a BIG WAY! Yes, they need a larger displacement engine in the trucks and SUVs to recall image and prestige in owning a Ford for its power. BUT...I think Ford should have planned several years ago to proceed into boosting displacement of the 4.6 up to the fabled number of 5.0. When I bought my first Mustang, a 90 GT, emblazoned on the side was a very large badge that mostly in Ford guy will remember with the 5.0 on the fender. It was prestigous to have a 5.0 in the Mustang. It meant something all on its own...like HEMI is to Dodge right now. While having 'just' a 4.6 3v in the Mustang hasn't hurt sales, think about the impications of again having a Ford 5.0 residing in the engine compartment of the Mustang. Then think about how that answers Ford's need for power and prestige in the RWD full-size Panther sedans or their replacements. A 3 valve 5.0L would probably be entirely sufficient in power and torque with a 5 speed automatic and a 3.27 or 3.55 rear and that powertrain would be a perfect match for the Mustang and Crown Victoria. That same basic formula would be useable in the truck based vehicles, as well. IMO, the 4.6 does nothing in terms of making the vehicle any more appealing. Part of the allure of the Hemi is the name itself. As far as I'm concerned, the 5.4 Triton is just another engine. It doesn't have any pizazz to it and yes, DCX has done a wonderful job marketing the Hemis but it sells because it delivers what the customer wants. Ford sells their vehicle and mentions the engine. DCX draws on the Hemi V8s and then allows their vehicle (Hemi-equipped or not) to sell itself. When I think of glorious Ford names associated with Blue Oval engines, I think of Boss, Cobra Jet, Windsor, Cleveland and 5.0 as sort of a name on its own. Hearing those terms...you immediately knew that Ford engines were being discussed.

Ford should reach back and capture some of this lightning in a bottle, get that old white cloth they used to use in their commercials and start polishing that big Blue Oval again. The public needs to see Ford proud of what it has been to America throughout the years. We do not need another Toyota. Yes, the Five-Hundred and Fusion can carry the brand in battle against the Hondas and Toyotas but Ford has to be Ford or else there significance to the American family fades into history. I believe they are now at the crossroads with Ford, Mercury and Lincoln and the direction they take now will dictate what Ford becomes in the years ahead. Remember the "Family of Fine Fords" slogan on Ford keys years ago? When you start seeing more middle-class families having one or more Fords in the driveway, you'll know they are on their way back. Right now, that honor is bestowed more on Honda and Toyota. Ford and GM will not beat the Japanese brands on perception of fit and finish or quality. They can only be satisfied to match. What they must instill is the prestige in owning a Ford or Chevy in the average American and that right now seems like a monumental task.

Edited by Traveler

• 1 month later...

If this was the early '90s, I'd say Ford should ditch the Modular program alltogether and make a Gen. II SBF.........Too late now, and a pushrod 5.0L in the S197 Mustang with a deep skirt block, DIS, and all aluminum construction would have made the car that much more desireable.

I'd love too see a brand-new Mustang with those chrome "5.0" badges on the front fenders again....

Maxing out the bore on the Modulars would only cause reliability problems later, not something an engine christened 5.0L needs.