new ridgeline... hide!

blazerdude20

Ridgeline Sales

2008 (YTD 6 months) - 19,399

2007 - 42,795

2006 - 50,193

2005 - 42,593

honda is going to cut the Ridgeline in the next two years and maybe the Pilot as well.

Who would have ever guessed the Ridgeline would already be outselling the Dakota. The Dakota offers many different engines, drivetrains, body styles.......

Yet the one configuration of the Ridgeline is already outselling the Dakota.

BTW, how are Sporttrac sales? Ford seems to keep those numbers hidden. Or did Ford cancel the Sportrac?

BTW, how are Sporttrac sales? Ford seems to keep those numbers hidden. Or did Ford cancel the Sportrac?

Sport Trac sales are combined with Explorer sales...just like Matrix sales are combined with Corolla.

As for how they are doing....not too well. I believe it will only be offered for another year or so. Not to worry. F100 replacing it soon.

Who would have ever guessed the Ridgeline would already be outselling the Dakota. The Dakota offers many different engines, drivetrains, body styles.......

Well, since Sportrac are combined within Explorer sales (Hence the reason why it is not Sportrac, but instead Explorer Sportrac) those numbers are "hidden" within Explorer sales figures....which are way down. I would be willing to bet that Explorer Sportrac gets the axe when F-100 and/or new Ranger comes online.

Personally, I was never a fan of Explorer Sportrac, but it came out when everything "Explorer" was gold.

Well, since Sportrac are combined within Explorer sales (Hence the reason why it is not Sportrac, but instead Explorer Sportrac) those numbers are "hidden" within Explorer sales figures....which are way down. I would be willing to bet that Explorer Sportrac gets the axe when F-100 and/or new Ranger comes online.

Personally, I was never a fan of Explorer Sportrac, but it came out when everything "Explorer" was gold.

The only reason the Sport Trac ever really existed was because they couldn't configure the Ranger with a quad cab without a complete redesign.

there also new tail light covers. that makes it a real makeover! :hysterical:

but seriously they need to do something with the inside of the "truck"

and this is a top of the line model:

post-27638-1216257625_thumb.jpg

Look like an '80s-2006 Silverado/Sierra dash.... Really impressive....

everything outsells the dakota, it's ugly and priced to close to discounted rams sitting on the same lots - a ridgeline in the same situation would not fare any better

I believe it may've already been confirmed, like Nick said, that the ST would be dropped.

I believe it may've already been confirmed, like Nick said, that the ST would be dropped.

I always liked the ST style and even considered getting one a while back. Just think it is more of a Ridgeline type SUV with a bed rather than a true truck. Used to see the 1st Gen models all over, but rarely see them anymore. The 2nd Gen., which has a lot more style and creature comforts has never been a big seller here, for what ever reason I don't know.

My thoughts are that Ford needs to get away from the Explorer name, no matter how popular it once was and the history behind it. After the Firestone debacle and all the problems with the 2nd & 3rd Gen models, I think people are avoiding them at all costs. You'll have your Ford diehards that will always buy them, but for those on the fence, there is too much bad press with the Explorer name in it for people to be persuaded to take a chance on one. It could also be the fact that there are so many more choices in the SUV market today and the rise of the CUV that has cut into their sales. Just my opinion and experience from my father owning a '96 & '02 and myself owning a '99. We loved these trucks/suvs, which we were never worried about the Firestone/roll over problems, it was simply due to these vehicles being in the shop way too often.

Edited by V8-X

My thoughts are that Ford needs to get away from the Explorer name, no matter how popular it once was and the history behind it. After the Firestone debacle and all the problems with the 2nd & 3rd Gen models, I think people are avoiding them at all costs. You'll have your Ford diehards that will always buy them, but for those on the fence, there is too much bad press with the Explorer name in it for people to be persuaded to take a chance on one. It could also be the fact that there are so many more choices in the SUV market today and the rise of the CUV that has cut into their sales. Just my opinion and experience from my father owning a '96 & '02 and myself owning a '99. We loved these trucks/suvs, which we were never worried about the Firestone/roll over problems, it was simply due to these vehicles being in the shop way too often.

I completely disagree. There is one thing killing Explorer: fuel prices.

Until very recently, Explorer was still reliably pulling in north of 10,000 sales per month. No, it's not the volume seller it was in the 1990's (what SUV is?), but it still brought in a reliable 120,000+ units a year, which is still significant by anyone's measure. It was still consistently one of the best-selling SUV's on the market. The only thing that really bit into Explorer sales prior to the increase in fuel prices was the sheer number of competitors, as you mentioned.

The only problems the Explorer now faces is that 1) it's old and needs to be updated and 2) it's not very fuel efficient. If they can somehow address those two issues without losing the "Explorerness" of it, it will continue to provide a stable chunk of sales to the Ford brand.

I completely disagree. There is one thing killing Explorer: fuel prices.

Until very recently, Explorer was still reliably pulling in north of 10,000 sales per month. No, it's not the volume seller it was in the 1990's (what SUV is?), but it still brought in a reliable 120,000+ units a year, which is still significant by anyone's measure. It was still consistently one of the best-selling SUV's on the market. The only thing that really bit into Explorer sales prior to the increase in fuel prices was the sheer number of competitors, as you mentioned.

The only problems the Explorer now faces is that 1) it's old and needs to be updated and 2) it's not very fuel efficient. If they can somehow address those two issues without losing the "Explorerness" of it, it will continue to provide a stable chunk of sales to the Ford brand.

I can see your point and can agree some what. Gas prices are hurting the Explorer now, but not the last 2-3-4 years. Don't know the national sales #'s, but I've watched locally, since the redesign is 2002 I believe it was, the number of Explorers on the road dwindle while the 4-Runner has gained along with the CUVs. Living in CO, many people that buy an SUV, want the capablility of a true SUV, built off a truck platform. Not referring to the soccer moms here, but those soccer moms are now driving CUVs. The 4-Runner has stayed more true to the 4X4 off-road ability, while the Explorer went the other way for a comfortable ride. The soccer moms jumping ship and decreased capabilities have hurt the Explorer, as well as the bad wrap through the media and the gas prices just top it off.

So what do you call "Explorerness"? Cause it sure isn't it's rugged ability off-road. Used to see many 1st & 2nd Gen Explorers on the trails through the Rockies. Don't think I've ever seen a 3rd Gen Explorer on any of the trails, unless it was simply a washboard road leading to the trails pulling a couple ATVs or dirt bikes.

I can see your point and can agree some what. Gas prices are hurting the Explorer now, but not the last 2-3-4 years. Don't know the national sales #'s, but I've watched locally, since the redesign is 2002 I believe it was, the number of Explorers on the road dwindle while the 4-Runner has gained along with the CUVs. Living in CO, many people that buy an SUV, want the capablility of a true SUV, built off a truck platform. Not referring to the soccer moms here, but those soccer moms are now driving CUVs. The 4-Runner has stayed more true to the 4X4 off-road ability, while the Explorer went the other way for a comfortable ride. The soccer moms jumping ship and decreased capabilities have hurt the Explorer, as well as the bad wrap through the media and the gas prices just top it off.

As far as I know, Explorer still continues to outsell the 4Runner, so I'm not exactly sure where you are going with that argument. Explorer sales have dwindled over the past several years along with every other BOF and traditional SUV. It's not like some other SUV came along and took the Explorer's place as the SUV selling 300,000+ units a year. The entire market is just too fragmented now for that to occur. That said, the Explorer has actually performed pretty admirably amidst the intense competition from existing makes and newcomers alike.

So what do you call "Explorerness"? Cause it sure isn't it's rugged ability off-road. Used to see many 1st & 2nd Gen Explorers on the trails through the Rockies. Don't think I've ever seen a 3rd Gen Explorer on any of the trails, unless it was simply a washboard road leading to the trails pulling a couple ATVs or dirt bikes.

It's the PERCEPTION of rugged ability, not so much that it can actually do it. The Explorer has never been THAT capable as an offroader, even in its first generation, without serious mods.

I'm sure when this guy returned that Ridgeline to the dealership to complain about wheel alignment and they see the marks on the bump stops, they'll be billing him $300+ for the alignment. Anything north of 500lbs that thing isn't built for. Matter of fact, I'm not quite sure what that thing IS built for.

Honda = NOT trucks.

Edited by 97svtgoin05gt

As far as I know, Explorer still continues to outsell the 4Runner, so I'm not exactly sure where you are going with that argument. Explorer sales have dwindled over the past several years along with every other BOF and traditional SUV. It's not like some other SUV came along and took the Explorer's place as the SUV selling 300,000+ units a year. The entire market is just too fragmented now for that to occur. That said, the Explorer has actually performed pretty admirably amidst the intense competition from existing makes and newcomers alike.

It's the PERCEPTION of rugged ability, not so much that it can actually do it. The Explorer has never been THAT capable as an offroader, even in its first generation, without serious mods.

Like stated in my original post, I was unsure of the national sales figures, but wasa basing my projections off the local CO market. Looking at this site, the Explorer sold roughly 105-106K units in 2007, vs it's high of 445K units in 2000. The Explorer is now in the #10 spot.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2007/12/ford-e...v-mountain.html

Now I've known plenty of people, myself included, who used their 1st or 2nd Gen Explorer for some fun off-road. Sure depending on the severity, they did need some serious modifications, but many times handled a lot of what a stock Wrangler could do and just as much as a stock Cherokee. Just as long as it wasn't the V8 AWD Explorer. That AWD system was not good off-road of course. The site attached is dedicated to off-roading with an Explorer.

http://www.explorerforum.com/

So yes I agree the 1st & 2nd Gen aren't the greatest off-road, but they we're and are seen much more on the trails than the most recent version.

Edited by V8-X

I always liked the ST style and even considered getting one a while back. Just think it is more of a Ridgeline type SUV with a bed rather than a true truck. Used to see the 1st Gen models all over, but rarely see them anymore. The 2nd Gen., which has a lot more style and creature comforts has never been a big seller here, for what ever reason I don't know.

I too have liked the ST's design, etc. I too used to see the 1st gen models all the time, but same as you, I hardly see them now. I think the ST's low sales have to do with at least the second point of Nick's two points:

"The only problems the Explorer now faces is that 1) it's old and needs to be updated and 2) it's not very fuel efficient."

And I think I do agree with his two points, certainly the second.