Downsizing from 08 F-350 to 09 F-150 Platnum

jmine

Well I placed my order today for a fully loaded F-150 Platinum SuperCrew 4X4 6.5' bed, in White Sand Metalic. :happy feet:

What I will be trading in:

post-33826-1217385341_thumb.jpg

I'm going to miss my "Fully Loaded with Navigation Radio" 2008 F-350 SuperCrew Powerstroke with added pinstriping, added legal window tint, window shades, mud guards, chrome bug shield, Ford Bedliner, Bedlocker Electric Sliding Tonneau Cover, and more. :banghead:

I know I am going to take a bath on this deal, but I am tired of paying a premium for diesel fuel, and not really pulling more than a snowmobile trailer two times a year! Plus the Powerstroke blows dark gray smoke from time to time in the winter during regen mode. Only for a few minutes, but it is embarrassing for a new truck! Ford says it is normal....Maybe for someone, but not for me!

Anyway back to the Platinum; I ordered the "Black" Interior in it. A footnote when selecting Black says seat color is Sienna Brown. I have not seen a picture of this Platinum interior but hope it will look nice with the White Sand paint.

Just for those also looking to get a Platinum, the fully loaded (Every option available) price is $50,420 / DLR INV $44,607.40

I dont think I'll get more than 35K for the Superduty on the trade....bummer as it was a $56K truck I paid $49K just one year ago. I'm hoping this will be the last truck I purchase for at least a few years. My last two trucks were a 2005 Eddie Bower Diesel Excursion and a 2002 Lariat SuperCrew Diesel 8"Bed before that. (All of the above ordered from Ford by me and purchased from the same dealer/salesman) :shades:

Well I placed my order today for a fully loaded F-150 Platinum SuperCrew 4X4 6.5' bed, in White Sand Metalic. :happy feet:

What I will be trading in:

post-33826-1217385341_thumb.jpg

I'm going to miss my "Fully Loaded with Navigation Radio" 2008 F-350 SuperCrew Powerstroke with added pinstriping, added legal window tint, window shades, mud guards, chrome bug shield, Ford Bedliner, Bedlocker Electric Sliding Tonneau Cover, and more. :banghead:

I know I am going to take a bath on this deal, but I am tired of paying a premium for diesel fuel, and not really pulling more than a snowmobile trailer two times a year! Plus the Powerstroke blows dark gray smoke from time to time in the winter during regen mode. Only for a few minutes, but it is embarrassing for a new truck! Ford says it is normal....Maybe for someone, but not for me!

Anyway back to the Platinum; I ordered the "Black" Interior in it. A footnote when selecting Black says seat color is Sienna Brown. I have not seen a picture of this Platinum interior but hope it will look nice with the White Sand paint.

Just for those also looking to get a Platinum, the fully loaded (Every option available) price is $50,420 / DLR INV $44,607.40

I dont think I'll get more than 35K for the Superduty on the trade....bummer as it was a $56K truck I paid $49K just one year ago. I'm hoping this will be the last truck I purchase for at least a few years. My last two trucks were a 2005 Eddie Bower Diesel Excursion and a 2002 Lariat SuperCrew Diesel 8"Bed before that. (All of the above ordered from Ford by me and purchased from the same dealer/salesman) :shades:

Congrats on the new truck order.

I am sure you thought of this, but that $14,000 loss you are getting ready to take would buy about 30-40,000 miles worth of diesel fuel to feed the F350.

Congrats on the new truck order.

I am sure you thought of this, but that $14,000 loss you are getting ready to take would buy about 30-40,000 miles worth of diesel fuel to feed the F350.

And when you compare it to the price difference for buying diesel for the F350 vs. gas for the F150, it's probably more like 250,000 miles of driving!

Using currents fuel prices here in central MO and rough estimate for fuel mileage:

F350: 17 MPG @ $4.69 / gallon = $0.276/mile

F150: 15 MPG @ $3.75 / gallon = $0.25/mile

That is a difference of $0.026 / mile more to drive the F350. That is 2.6 cents per mile more to drive the super duty! At a $14,000 loss, that is 540,000 (more than double my 250k estimate) miles you have to drive the F150 to recoup the loss you will take on the F350. Now, those numbers would be different based on fuel prices and average fuel economy, but just food for thought. Bottom line, you don't trade down a step to save money on fuel/gas...you have to go down several steps in vehicles to make it worth your while.

But hey, if you just want a new truck, that's a different story! :) Congrats! :happy feet:

Oh yeah...forgot to add...that is one sweet F350 you have there!!!!!

Edited by fordmantpw

And when you compare it to the price difference for buying diesel for the F350 vs. gas for the F150, it's probably more like 250,000 miles of driving!

Using currents fuel prices here in central MO and rough estimate for fuel mileage:

F350: 17 MPG @ $4.69 / gallon = $0.276/mile

F150: 15 MPG @ $3.75 / gallon = $0.25/mile

That is a difference of $0.026 / mile more to drive the F350. That is 2.6 cents per mile more to drive the super duty! At a $14,000 loss, that is 540,000 (more than double my 250k estimate) miles you have to drive the F150 to recoup the loss you will take on the F350. Now, those numbers would be different based on fuel prices and average fuel economy, but just food for thought. Bottom line, you don't trade down a step to save money on fuel/gas...you have to go down several steps in vehicles to make it worth your while.

But hey, if you just want a new truck, that's a different story! :) Congrats! :happy feet:

Oh yeah...forgot to add...that is one sweet F350 you have there!!!!!

I wonder if anybody sits down and puts a pencil to it like you just did. More often than not, it is much cheaper to run what you have. If the gentleman bought the new truck just because he wanted one, thanks for buying another Ford. If he bought it to save money on fuel, he should have bought a pencil first.

Most of the "trade for better fuel economy" purchases are knee-jerk reactions to rising fuel prices. I would bet less than 5% actually put pencil to paper to calculate the real "savings".

It really is not just the cost of Diesel, but the 08 Powerstroke only gets 12.5 mpg around town. My Excursion Diesel would average 14.0 and my 7.2 Diesel before that would average 16.5 or better! I think my decision to move to a F-150 Gas truck was more dissapointment in the MPG of the 08 F350 and the Smoke it puts out every now and then that ford says is normal.

I also was moved by the new 09 Platinum and the new options available for it. It was a combination of all this that made my decision.

It really is not just the cost of Diesel, but the 08 Powerstroke only gets 12.5 mpg around town. My Excursion Diesel would average 14.0 and my 7.2 Diesel before that would average 16.5 or better! I think my decision to move to a F-150 Gas truck was more dissapointment in the MPG of the 08 F350 and the Smoke it puts out every now and then that ford says is normal.

I also was moved by the new 09 Platinum and the new options available for it. It was a combination of all this that made my decision.

What gas engine did you buy in the F150? 5.4 V8, 4.6 2v V8 or 4.6 3v V8?

How come you are not going for V10 in the superduty, that would probabley do a little better than the Diesel.

Sorry to hear the SD's going away, she was a beaut!

At least you're getting what sounds to be a very nice ride in return though.

Post us some pics once she is finally delivered.

Anyone have the build/deliver dates for the '09s yet? I know they were delayed so I'm not sure what the new dates may be.

my Dad has an 08 F250 Crew cab 4x4 V10 and his only gets 12 - 13 mpgs, doesn't really matter if it's city or highway miles.

Wow................ if I get to were I average 12-13 in town, I would do backflips. LOL

BTW, my 1993 Eddie Bauer Explorer got 13mpg in town.

My 2008 F250 4x4 CrewCab V10 Lariat is currently getting in the low 10's in town. On the highway, it easily gets in the upper 13's. It is not broken in though, with only 1200 miles.

The reason the new diesels get such poor mileage is the emissions. The 6.4 meets the 2010 emission regulations, which Dodge and Chevy do not meet yet. You will see theirs in the next year or so............... and then they will all get rotten mileage for a diesel. Ahhhhh yes, progress.

The 6.4 has a particulates filter that is the size of a small coffin. It also has 2 EGR valves. It has to go into a regen mode to burn out the particulates in the filter. In the winter time, it will do this alot more. This sucks fuel.

Other than the mileage, the 6.4 has been a very good engine. We did alot of research before we bought our V10. My husband drives big truck, so he really does love diesels. He just did not like all of the emissions stuff................ and we don't drive enough, to make the price of the diesel worth it (in initial cost, and maintenance).

Congrats on the new truck. Make sure you post pics when you get it. The brushed stainless grille looks like it will be quite a piece. All of the stainless on the truck will make it something really special (anyone can have chrome). Just like I love all the new doodads on the new SuperDuty (I have the Nav, DVD, and about everything else also)............. the Platinum truly takes it to a new level.

Wow................ if I get to were I average 12-13 in town, I would do backflips. LOL

BTW, my 1993 Eddie Bauer Explorer got 13mpg in town.

My 2008 F250 4x4 CrewCab V10 Lariat is currently getting in the low W's in town. On the highway, it easily gets in the upper 13's. It is not broken in though, with only 1200 miles.

The reason the new diesels get such poor mileage is the emissions. The 6.4 meets the 2010 emission regulations, which Dodge and Chevy do not meet yet. You will see theirs in the next year or so............... and then they will all get rotten mileage for a diesel. Ahhhhh yes, progress.

The 6.4 has a particulates filter that is the size of a small coffin. It also has 2 EGR valves. It has to go into a regen mode to burn out the particulates in the filter. In the winter time, it will do this alot more. This sucks fuel.

Other than the mileage, the 6.4 has been a very good engine. We did alot of research before we bought our V10. My husband drives big truck, so he really does love diesels. He just did not like all of the emissions stuff................ and we don't drive enough, to make the price of the diesel worth it (in initial cost, and maintenance).

Congrats on the new truck. Make sure you post pics when you get it. The brushed stainless grille looks like it will be quite a piece. All of the stainless on the truck will make it something really special (anyone can have chrome). Just like I love all the new doodads on the new SuperDuty (I have the Nav, DVD, and about everything else also)............. the Platinum truly takes it to a new level.

If I read this article correctly, your information is wrong. :shades:

Cummins cleans up with diesel engines

If I read this article correctly, your information is wrong. :shades:

Cummins cleans up with diesel engines

This article was released 8/30/07, which a lot has changed in the last year. Heck, they're quoting $70 a barrel oil. Also states "This will probably be the most fuel-efficient pickup truck ever", without any facts/figures backing this statement. This article is mostly speculation, which I'd prefer to see the results since the article was released.

By the article, the 6.7L is 2010 EPA compliant. Just didn't provide any mpg figures and how it compares to the previous 5.9L I6, which was a great power & mpg motor. From what I've seen on some Dodge forums, people are claiming around 15-19mpg hwy and 10-14 city empty. Doesn't look any better than what the 6.4L PS is getting.

Now the Dodge site claims the 6.7L is the only diesel that meets EPA emission standards to date. Seems odd, since everything I've read also has the 6.4L PS meeting/exceeding these standards for 2010.

The 5.4 is standard in all of the higher end F150's. The 09's come with a greater selection of rearend ratios, though, 3.15, 3.31, 3.55 and 3.73.

What the heck is the point of all those ratios? I thought Farley and Mulally wanted to REDUCE option combinations. There is really zero appreciable difference between a 3.15 and 3.31 axle ratio...or a 3.55 and 3.73 for that matter. Simply offering a 3.15 and a 3.73 would more than suffice.

What the heck is the point of all those ratios? I thought Farley and Mulally wanted to REDUCE option combinations. There is really zero appreciable difference between a 3.15 and 3.31 axle ratio...or a 3.55 and 3.73 for that matter. Simply offering a 3.15 and a 3.73 would more than suffice.

I've owned an F150 with 3:55 and 3:73. I can tell you there is a significant difference in daily driving as well as towing with these gears. This is one area where I think options are needed, dependent upon how you'll use the truck and really wish they'd still offer the 4:10s on a limited basis.

PMs Diesel Pickup Truck Review

Note the MPG on the trucks.

GMC - 18.26

Ford - 11.24

Dodge - 13.00

Cummins/Ram has always seemed to average about 2mpgs better city/hwy over the PSD/F250-350, so the Dodge/Ford figures do not surprise me. Also the fact that the Ram weighs in at 7900lbs and Ford at 8700lbs, gives the Ram a 800lb weight advantage towards mpg gain.

Now PM stated the GMC got the best mpgs based on the fact it wasn't a DRW like the Ford & Dodge. That weight and suspension difference does come into play here. But also, the 6.6L DuraMax isn't 2010 EPA compliant like the 6.7L and 6.4L. Can only assume that the Duramax mpgs will decrease in a similar manner when they make the 2010 epa requirement change over.

The LMM may not be the last engine to wear the Duramax name, but it may be the last to displace 6.6L. GM calls 2007 an "interim model year," so it may be safe to assume this engine is a stopgap to meet the EPA requirements until a new engine that meets 2010 requirements is ready. If it's anything like the future light-duty Cummins and GM engines we've been hearing about, then may have overhead cams, make more power, and have emissions cleaner than those nerdy gas-electric hybrids that are all the rage-for now.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0702dp_...esel/index.html

I've owned an F150 with 3:55 and 3:73. I can tell you there is a significant difference in daily driving as well as towing with these gears. This is one area where I think options are needed, dependent upon how you'll use the truck and really wish they'd still offer the 4:10s on a limited basis.

Maybe it's more noticable in a truck. I couldn't tell a crap's difference between 3.73 and 4.10 in a Mustang.

GMC - 18.26

Ford - 11.24

Dodge - 13.00

Cummins/Ram has always seemed to average about 2mpgs better city/hwy over the PSD/F250-350, so the Dodge/Ford figures do not surprise me. Also the fact that the Ram weighs in at 7900lbs and Ford at 8700lbs, gives the Ram a 800lb weight advantage towards mpg gain.

Now PM stated the GMC got the best mpgs based on the fact it wasn't a DRW like the Ford & Dodge. That weight and suspension difference does come into play here. But also, the 6.6L DuraMax isn't 2010 EPA compliant like the 6.7L and 6.4L. Can only assume that the Duramax mpgs will decrease in a similar manner when they make the 2010 epa requirement change over.

The LMM may not be the last engine to wear the Duramax name, but it may be the last to displace 6.6L. GM calls 2007 an "interim model year," so it may be safe to assume this engine is a stopgap to meet the EPA requirements until a new engine that meets 2010 requirements is ready. If it's anything like the future light-duty Cummins and GM engines we've been hearing about, then may have overhead cams, make more power, and have emissions cleaner than those nerdy gas-electric hybrids that are all the rage-for now.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0702dp_...esel/index.html

Here is what PM wrote;"...We asked GMC for a truck with dual rear wheels to match the others. But neither GMC nor Chevy could supply one. Duallys are heavier by about 250 pounds and typically carry a stiffer suspension. That said, GMC’s 365-hp Duramax diesel was so strong, and the fuel economy so much better, that even with the handicap of “training wheels” the results would likely have been much the same..."

Wheres the Tundra, I thought is was changing the game? Its supposed to compete at this level is it not? I'm sure it would have placed first for its car like handling and ride and car like ergonomics and prob fast to 0-60, all the things I look for is a rugged last me long time TRUCK...

Note to readers last part contained what is known as ~sarcasm~

Here is what PM wrote;"...We asked GMC for a truck with dual rear wheels to match the others. But neither GMC nor Chevy could supply one. Duallys are heavier by about 250 pounds and typically carry a stiffer suspension. That said, GMC’s 365-hp Duramax diesel was so strong, and the fuel economy so much better, that even with the handicap of “training wheels” the results would likely have been much the same..."

I see that you are determined to show how bad the Powerstroke, and thus Ford, sucks on the diesel trucks.

That said, once again, you are ignoring the fact that the Duramax DOES NOT meet 2010 emissions. That engine is not due for another year. At least this is what the articles on GMI are saying.

When they do meet the emissions standard, I would expect mileage similar to the Dodge. The Ford is a much heavier truck, and the fuel economy reflects that. However, it will hold up to severe duty work better also.

I have climbed all over my 2008 F250. There is NOTHING flimsy about anything. Everything is built to last, and built to work................ and this is a 3/4 ton. I have not read up on the new Cummins. I knew it was coming, but didn't know it was out yet. Frankly, I don't follow Dodge that closely. Good engine, subpar truck.

Its funny, but Ford is proactive and gets slammed for it (having their engine be 2010 emissions compliant now). However, if they would have waited until the last second, like GM, they would have been slammed as always being late to the party.

They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.