"One" '09 Focus Shipped

FordBuyer

There must be a big bottleneck at Wayne Assembly as lots are jammed with new Focus and hardly anything is shipping so far. I would say most are not cleared for shipping and only few getting out. Jack Demmer at last check had three and huge Bill Brown has exaclty ONE SE as of yesterday. Blackwell Ford has NONE and hasn't seen a Focus in over a month.

Anyway, I checked out the '09 Focus at Bill Brown and it does have three adjustable head restraints in back seat...nice touch. Other thing I noticed is that chrome vent on front fender is not there anymore on SE Focus. Maybe it comes with the Deluxe option, but this SE had none. In place of chrome vent is just the crease in fender that outlined the chrome piece. The SE does not have fog lights either. The sticker on it without Sync was a touch over $17,000. Still looking for SES and SEL version as Dealers don't have any. I would say by end of this week Wayne Assembly should have at least 5,000 '09 Focus sitting on adjacent lots waiting for shipment. Hold up could be quality control I suspect. I noticed te new Focus sitting at Bill Brown had green dot probably meaning it was cleared for shipment.

Anyway, I checked out the '09 Focus at Bill Brown and it does have three adjustable head restraints in back seat...nice touch.

Nice to see that Ford realizes safety is a big priority for families. And putting quality above volume is a smart long term discipline.

I saw one on Hines Drive the other day, M plate. It was the SES 4 door, Metallic Red with the black 2 bar grilll, new front/rear bumber, and no fender stickon. I have to say, looks much better than the 08 with all the chrome gone. Curious though, if they are shiping them, when do they plan to update the Ford website for the 2009 Focus? Nice to hear they added rear head rests, based on what I saw, sales will pick up, especially with the SES.

I was at Blackwell Ford tonight and they got two new '09 Focus in today and both SE's. One had the new color...Amber Gold Metallic. The other SE had ABS and ESC for extra $790.

BTW, the new $299/month lease rate on the Flex seems to be working nicely. FIVE Flex's were going out tonight to new owners, mostly SEL's. I am now seeing Flexes all over the place as sales seem to be finally picking up. I believe its moderating gas prices combined with attractive lease rate. The key to moving product in Metro Detroit is attractive lease rate. It works everytime. Chrysler is offering $99/month on Dodge Dakota and I bet they fly off the lot.

Chrysler is offering $99/month on Dodge Dakota and I bet they fly off the lot.

Not for much longer. Those lease prices are the very reason Chrysler is losing money on returned lease vehicles. Product "flying" off the lots hurts the company if the used price it brings when it's turned in is less than they calculated it to be.

Not for much longer. Those lease prices are the very reason Chrysler is losing money on returned lease vehicles. Product "flying" off the lots hurts the company if the used price it brings when it's turned in is less than they calculated it to be.

Chrysler/Dodge Dealers are super busy right now as many customers are leasing new vehicles before end of leasing by Chrysler. I would hate to be a Chrysler/Dodge Dealer as of tomorrow when there are no more lease rates much less attractive ones. Chrysler always went overboard on the lease rates with their $69/month Liberty lease rates a couple years ago, but IMO a big mistake to end them altogether. They could have been tweaked to make them more profitable to company. I for one would never get a loan for more than 48 months tops on any new vehicle. I would buy used first as many are going to do now. And with the Japanese still offering attractive lease rates and no plans to end them will take more sales away from Big Three. Sad.

I saw one on Hines Drive the other day, M plate. It was the SES 4 door, Metallic Red with the black 2 bar grilll, new front/rear bumber, and no fender stickon. I have to say, looks much better than the 08 with all the chrome gone. Curious though, if they are shiping them, when do they plan to update the Ford website for the 2009 Focus? Nice to hear they added rear head rests, based on what I saw, sales will pick up, especially with the SES.

It's funny this combo is not listed in the ordering guide. All that stuff was supposed to be unique to the coupe. I want pics!! :shades:

And, yeah, Ford, update the web site already. I noticed about two weeks ago that the fleet web site had a link to the 2009 Focus, but it was broken and just went back to the home page. A couple days later it was changed back to 2008.

BTW, the new $299/month lease rate on the Flex seems to be working nicely.

What are the terms of the lease (how much down, how many months, miles a year etc.)? There isn't anything like that in my region (Pac NW), and am interested to see what the Flex lease deal is.

I tried entering a Detroit zip on the Ford incentive page, and I'm not finding a published Flex lease offer.

Edited by richardmayo

There are issues with train traffic here in the MidWest. Suddenly the RR is popular again, and lots of lines that were removed cant be used. Also, NIMBY's are trying to stop expansion of RR network here in IL.

FWIW, I literally have one of the largest autorack switching yards in the country in my backyard in Hammond, IN (here in "219land"). It's busy, and it's expanding. So plenty of automobiles are getting through here. As far as CN's plans to take over EJ&E, it will pretty much make our gridlock due to train traffic 10 times worse. So you can count me on on NIMBYing that one.

Chrysler Gets a Jolt of Lease Traffic

By JEFF BENNETT and STEPHEN WISNEFSKI

August 1, 2008

A week ago Chrysler LLC announced its financial arm would stop offering leases on new cars and trucks, effective Friday. For some dealers, the move has sparked a boomlet.

"It has been a frenzy," said Paul Steel, who runs three dealerships in Michigan, including Southfield Chrysler Jeep outside Detroit. "Everyone is trying to get in now on a three-year lease hoping that Chrysler Financial will get back in the game by the time their lease is done." Mr. Steel has kept his dealerships open until midnight every night since Monday, and he expects his staff will be working until at least 2 a.m. Friday to process all the orders.

Golling Chrysler Jeep Dodge Inc., in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., more than tripled its business, selling 112 vehicles Monday and 96 Tuesday, said owner Bill Golling. The majority of sales were through leasing.

Down the road, the scaling back or elimination of leasing makes their job tougher at a time when U.S. auto sales already are at their lowest level in 15 years.

Without leases to lure customers, the Big Three auto makers could see more people defect to foreign auto makers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. Leasing has been a favored method in Detroit of getting customers into more expensive cars and trucks than they could afford to buy themselves, as well as having people buy new vehicles every two or three years.

But it is a risky business because auto makers' financing arms have to take back vehicles after leases expire, and then sell them to recoup some of their costs. Because high gas prices have depressed demand for used trucks and sport-utility vehicles, they are losing a lot on the trucks and SUVs they leased in the past few years.

GMAC LLC, which is partly owned by General Motors Corp., lost $717 million in its auto business in the second quarter as a result of bad leases. Since Chrysler said it was getting out of auto leasing, both Ford Motor Co. and GM have scaled back their leasing businesses, as have a few banks.

The end-of-month surge in sales prompted by Chrysler's move should boost the auto maker's sales for July, which will be reported Friday. Through the first six months, Chrysler's U.S. sales were down 22%, the biggest drop of any major car manufacturer, as the company relies more than its peers on sales of trucks and SUVs. It also is helping dealers reduce their inventory of 2008 vehicles.

"I have got to get rid of this inventory and move out the 2008s and then we can figure out something for August sales," Mr. Steel said. He has to sell about 500 vehicles alone at the Southfield location before he can start accepting Chrysler's 2009 models, he said.

The jump in sales also may indicate that some people are buying sooner than they otherwise would have, suggesting sales in coming months could suffer. For auto dealers struggling with bloated inventories of trucks and SUVs, however, their first priority is moving the 2008 models off the lot before new models hit the showroom floor and before the current batch lose even more value.

Well just a couple of points. Ford needs to be moving those 2009 Focus models to their dealers as fast as possible. I hope they are doing the same with Escapes/Mariners and Fusions/Milans. Those 3 model lines (and to a lessor extent Edge) are the only saving grace for the company right now

As far as Chrysler is concerned. They might get a little bump in July sales because of leases ending, however I think you will want to cover your eyes when you see their August sales. Maybe the Challenger will save them. :lol:

Well just a couple of points. Ford needs to be moving those 2009 Focus models to their dealers as fast as possible. I hope they are doing the same with Escapes/Mariners and Fusions/Milans. Those 3 model lines (and to a lessor extent Edge) are the only saving grace for the company right now

actually the ranger is raking up alot of sales this month.

I was by Wayne Assembly today and there were many Auto Haulers in lots full of new Focus ready to begin journey to Dealers. New Focus were also being loaded onto train auto carriers on Wayne Assembly side which is served by CSX RR. Looks to me like FINALLY earnest shipment of new '09 Focus is finally beginning.

Also, there has been lots of activity around MTP next door all summer. Lots are almost always full of employee vehicles. I'm not sure if '09 production of Expy/Nav is starting at MTP and then going to Kentucky at end of year or will just start in Kentucky with Focus production starting up at MTP soon after. Makes better sense to me just to start up '09 Expy at Kentucky and skip the start and leave process. Either way, MTP as second Focus plant should be in operation early 2009.

FordBuyer, are you sure Ford will have a second plant for this focus generation.

I though that the MTP plant should be retools for the C2 platform. That mean beginning of 2010 to start the production of the C-max and then the new 2011 focus the same year !

Ford should not retool a plant just for 1 year !

I think next year, they need to concentrate on the Fusion production plan !! this car should sell at 25 to 30k per month if they want to compete in the car segment !

FordBuyer, are you sure Ford will have a second plant for this focus generation.

I though that the MTP plant should be retools for the C2 platform. That mean beginning of 2010 to start the production of the C-max and then the new 2011 focus the same year !

Ford should not retool a plant just for 1 year !

I think next year, they need to concentrate on the Fusion production plan !! this car should sell at 25 to 30k per month if they want to compete in the car segment !

Wayne Stamping Plant is working today on Saturday trying to stamp out enough bodies for Wayne Assembly to keep two shifts running all week, but can't. Thus Wayne Assembly can't work on Saturday because there are no bodies to assemble and third shift is out of question.

So to solve this problem Ford announced that they will use part of MTP to build more bodies for Wayne Assembly to add three shifts and work around the clock to builld at least 300,000 Focus/year and hopefully way more. Thus technically Ford will not be using two plants to build this Focus, but instead will be using two stamping plants to get Wayne Assembly up to maximum capacity. Then when European Focus appears Ford will go to two assembly plants as Ford will need to sell lots of small cars to get healthy again. That is the way I understand Ford's public announcement about MTP.