Is the Flex selling well?

TStag

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering inventory levels for the Flex still aren't even established throughout the entire dealer network yet, I would say it's far too early to look at any Flex numbers as being indicative of anything. The dealers in my area still don't have much for inventory. How are inventory levels calculated anyway? If it's compared to previous month's sales, I would say the Flex's actual number is way off.

Considering inventory levels for the Flex still aren't even established throughout the entire dealer network yet, I would say it's far too early to look at any Flex numbers as being indicative of anything. The dealers in my area still don't have much for inventory. How are inventory levels calculated anyway? If it's compared to previous month's sales, I would say the Flex's actual number is way off.

Does seem strange as you say but given the size of the Flex I have been wondering if the current US market will tolerate it as well as Ford originally hoped. We shall see I guess. Dodge numbers for the Durango are shocking what ever way you look at it.

Does seem strange as you say but given the size of the Flex I have been wondering if the current US market will tolerate it as well as Ford originally hoped. We shall see I guess. Dodge numbers for the Durango are shocking what ever way you look at it.

Look at the numbers they quoted on the Journey though. Looking at monthly sales numbers, it has been doing quite well for a vehicle of its type. So, I really wouldn't put much into any of this yet.

They usually take the number of sales in the prior month and divide it by the number of days in the month or the number of sales days in the month. Assuming that they used the number of days in the month of July compared to the 2,204 units sold in July that tells me that Ford has 9,500 Flex units at the end of July. Considering that Ford was still rolling the models out at the end of July this could very well be a an aberration.

My local dealer had 3 Flex for the last week and a half of July. As far as I could tell they did not sell any. But now that gas has dropped they have sold all three plus any that may have been ordered instead of bought from stock. The sales pace has picked up considerably so far this month. I predict at least 4,000 units will be sold in August, probably more. At the end of August the Flex should be carrying more like a 65 to 73 days supply and if gas continues to fall which it appears to be doing this days supply could drop even lower.

Too early to tell the true demand for this vehicle. At the end of August we should all be in a better position to determine whether it is a success or not.

Edited by jobu37

How can figure out days supply of a vehicle that is just on the market without any background info in expected sales??

Exactly. It's far too early in the sales cycle for the inventory numbers to mean anything. It takes several months for a new vehicle's inventory to settle into a rhythm anyway as some dealers get too many initially while others don't get many at all. It seems this is an issue that Ford has struggled to address over the launch of its past several new vehicles though.

High inventory of them according to this on TTAC:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/taking-st...julys-inventory

I assume they didn't make the numbers up. Dodge has some disturbing numbers...

Anyway I thought people were saying the Flex was selling strongly.... looks like a disaster IF this IS TRUE...

While a 134 day supply isn't good, it's also a new CUV .....at a bad time to introduce such a large vehicle. With gas prices moderating it may help. But it's not an Edsel Durango.

The size of the Flex? What does that have to do with anything? Did you mean fuel economy?

Anyhow, I took a look @ Fordvehicles.com to check out the inventory and it seems as if dealers around the OC have a decent allocation per that website. Though, having said that I have to wonder if those vehicles were either A.) Sold or B.) Still in transit. At least from my shopping experiences in the South Florida market (which could be a different ball game in SoCal) Ford dealers were not all on the up and up in keeping their inventories updated.

High inventory of them according to this on TTAC:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/taking-st...julys-inventory

I assume they didn't make the numbers up. Dodge has some disturbing numbers...

Anyway I thought people were saying the Flex was selling strongly.... looks like a disaster IF this IS TRUE...

Minus a million credibility points for citing TTAC.

The fact is, Ford sold 100% of July Flex inventory. If you bothered to research the stuff you posted here, you'd know that. Flex inventory at the beginning of July was about 55 days worth (going by June's DSR), and it was sold out in 31.

Go prices up a Flex, you have to be pretty determined to buy into that product, it's not cheaply had! Every sale is well earned, particularly in this economy!

OMG, when is everyone going to quit pushing this! Its in line with its competitors in pricing and can be had very cheaply. AFAIK, its the high end expensive models that are selling better than the less optioned models.

OMG, when is everyone going to quit pushing this! Its in line with its competitors in pricing and can be had very cheaply. AFAIK, its the high end expensive models that are selling better than the less optioned models.

thankyou, this propensity for I want my champagne for the price of malt liquor is getting REALLY old....hey I want a 2 story house with an ocean veiw for the price of a condo in Compton....

Flex is not selling well...wrong vehicle,wrong time.

slow right now, interest is picking up, I will reserve my opinions for two months time....could be a case of right vehicle bad timing...BUT interest IS picking up......and I have to add ( edit ) it drives like a dream, anyone in the market for a 7 passenger with some pizzaz has just to drive one....SOLD!

Edited by Deanh

sidenote: remember all the bitching about the Edge only being a 5 passenger? Am I wrong, but are the SAME people whining about MSRP's of Flex's?............

Ford up your quality, offer better interiors, powertrains and safety equipment.........but make sure you continue to offer a bargain basement price. Otherwise it is considered over priced. It's not like Ford Motor is a for profit corporation, so why should the folks in Dearborn care.

Ford up your quality, offer better interiors, powertrains and safety equipment.........but make sure you continue to offer a bargain basement price. Otherwise it is considered over priced. It's not like Ford Motor is a for profit corporation, so why should the folks in Dearborn care.

exactly...and the 36k SEl for its content, in comparison with its competitors is a pretty good buy....AND has basically everything bar a kitchen.....I mean Refrigerator....

The Flex is a bastard vehicle,in my opinion. The timing couldn't have been worse,to top it off. I've been a dealer for a long time,and I know a dud when I see it....Don't get me wrong,it kills me to say that.

car is a paradox...there is NO middle ground...you either love or hate it...I'm guessing you have nude Flex posters plastered all over your garage........