MKT interior shots

Bigbuck15

1) Honda ergonomics get a great big power fail, for mixing and matching the HVAC and stereo controls--and for managing to have three different shades of 'nondescript' gray in their motley mixture of textures and tones.

2) The Malibu interior photographs well, and that's about it. Materials quality is worse than the present Fusion

3) The Toyota Camry materials are the same quality as the Fusion's, and the layout is just as 'blah' as the Fusion's.

As opposed to Ford's version of ergonomic design, which is to place the HVAC controls near the footwell? The Fusion interior is not bad, I've gone on record for admiring its simplicity and tidy design. I've also said that only the Fusion is AWD and therefore the only car I would even consider for my garage...not to mention Navigation is a necessity IMO. So while I think Ford design can be extremely lackluster and inconsistent, it's not shoddy and I think think the content is there.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As opposed to Ford's version of ergonomic design, which is to place the HVAC controls near the footwell?

Yeah, that is a problem. But it wasn't going to get fixed on an MCE because it's not a problem that is big enough to justify reworking the entire firewall/dash assembly (you know how much crap is in there? I bet that the IP is, second to the powerpack, the most expensive sub assembly to put together on a vehicle.)

Fortunately, the (comparatively) wealthy will be spared the inconvenience the proletariat will be subjected to, as the uber-connected Fusion will feature voice control of the HVAC.

This is fine if you compare Ford design internally, not externally.

08accord_exlsed_int.jpg

Man, I am liking that new Accord more and more. And it is nice to see that the Malibu interior can be talked about in the same sentence as the Accord. Shows just how much time and effort GM put into the Malibu interior. That being said, the Accord wins. Both inside and out, that new Accord is a winner...and it is made in the USA.

I like the clear gauge pods on the concept... they look almost like champagne glasses. Clear pods with adjustable colored backlighting would make for a nifty Ultimate package option.

I do NOT like those binnacles. Not on the 'Stang. Not on Mazdas.

However-----the MKT's look pretty cool from the passenger perspectives. Has anyone else done something like that--with the clear plastic and back lighting?

Yeah, that is a problem. But it wasn't going to get fixed on an MCE because it's not a problem that is big enough to justify reworking the entire firewall/dash assembly (you know how much crap is in there? I bet that the IP is, second to the powerpack, the most expensive sub assembly to put together on a vehicle.)

Fortunately, the (comparatively) wealthy will be spared the inconvenience the proletariat will be subjected to, as the uber-connected Fusion will feature voice control of the HVAC.

The satellite controls on the steering wheel are probably the easiest way to use HVAC controls, although I really dislike the controls on the Ford corporate steering wheel. I find I constantly need to look at which side of the steering wheel the fan speed or temp controls are, eliminating the benefits of not having to look at the buttons or display for feedback information.

The satellite controls on the steering wheel are probably the easiest way to use HVAC controls, although I really dislike the controls on the Ford corporate steering wheel. I find I constantly need to look at which side of the steering wheel the fan speed or temp controls are, eliminating the benefits of not having to look at the buttons or display for feedback information.

I think those have been canned in favor of Sync control buttons.

I do NOT like those binnacles.

Binnacle. Sounds like a relative of the Zebra mussel.

binnacle

Main Entry: bin·na·cle

Pronunciation: \ˈbi-ni-kəl\

Function: noun

Etymology: alteration of Middle English bitakle, from Old Portuguese or Old Spanish; Old Portuguese bitácola & Old Spanish bitácula, from Latin habitaculum dwelling place

Date: 1762

: a housing for a ship's compass and a lamp

Man, I am liking that new Accord more and more. And it is nice to see that the Malibu interior can be talked about in the same sentence as the Accord. Shows just how much time and effort GM put into the Malibu interior. That being said, the Accord wins. Both inside and out, that new Accord is a winner...and it is made in the USA.

Accord is a very nice car excluding the rear end IMO.

I looked at the MKS gauges in daylight today. The black background is not a totally flat, matte finish. I think this is a problem in direct sunlight. They are a slightly glossy black. When the sunlight hits it, the gauge markings will get washed out. I have the same problem with my '03 G35's gauges. In direct sunlight, you lose everything but the red needles! On a positive note, the gauge cluster's white backlight was bright enough in broad daylight.

I see, thanks.

It sure does! In fact, looking closely at these shots reveals more than we first noticed. To my eye it appears the center stack controls are just ripped from a MKS, lending hope to a much sleeker production design. Evidence of this can be seen if you zoom in and notice the lack of style to the lower center stack, with no area for the shifter even, and nothing lines up in the slightest. I'm hoping the concept's shiny black central pod will make it to production, with an area cut out for the touch screen vs. the flush concept piece of course. The black center stack motif seen in the new MKS kind of implies this may be a new Lincoln hallmark, with wood on the horizontal shelf and leather across the dash. Pretty cool! I Can't wait until it hits the lots next spring!

The other picture LLN has shows the rest of (at least the pieces that are there) the center stack, which appears to be just like the MKS:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plu...idg=1&idi=9

08accord_exlsed_int.jpg

gm_08malibu_int.jpg

0601_naias_069%202007_toyota_camry_xle%20front_interior_view.jpg

I've been in all three and I don't find any of them all that impressive. The Accord and Malibu interiors are just ugly to me and the Camry isn't exciting, but looks ok. Accord and Camry both use good materials though, while the Malibu's interior materials are not very good, at least as I recall.

I've been in all three and I don't find any of them all that impressive. The Accord and Malibu interiors are just ugly to me and the Camry isn't exciting, but looks ok. Accord and Camry both use good materials though, while the Malibu's interior materials are not very good, at least as I recall.

I like the Accord. I like a great deal about the Accord. IMO, its one of Honda's only good designs.

I'm up in San Jose for the next day or so, and low and behold I ended up with a beige Camry. I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can even utter Camry and high quality interior in the same sentence. I seriously think some of you have a hard time differentiating aesthetics with quality, because the new Camry is chock full of nasty plastic.

The Malibu is even worse. Cheap actuated sliding door on the center console. Nasty trimmed plastic seat backs complete with flashing. Oh and in bitching about corporate switch gear, come on folks this has to be one of the worse offenders.

The Accord is just a mess. The design is overly busy.

And Borg that picture you posted is not a production ready Fusion. So try again.

I'm up in San Jose for the next day or so, and low and behold I ended up with a beige Camry. I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can even utter Camry and high quality interior in the same sentence. I seriously think some of you have a hard time differentiating aesthetics with quality, because the new Camry is chock full of nasty plastic.

The Malibu is even worse. Cheap actuated sliding door on the center console. Nasty trimmed plastic seat backs complete with flashing. Oh and in bitching about corporate switch gear, come on folks this has to be one of the worse offenders.

The Accord is just a mess. The design is overly busy.

And Borg that picture you posted is not a production ready Fusion. So try again.

Yeah, the new Camry has gone down in quality/interior materials. Comparing my grandma's previous gen Camry to the new one, the old one uses better (and/or more) quality materials inside.

Yeah, the new Camry has gone down in quality/interior materials. Comparing my grandma's previous gen Camry to the new one, the old one uses better (and/or more) quality materials inside.

Bar none the best Camry out there:

95_toyota_camry.jpg

Yota' stopped building them like that a LOOOOONG time ago. If I needed a beater, I'd be all over one of those.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

08accord_exlsed_int.jpg

gm_08malibu_int.jpg

0601_naias_069%202007_toyota_camry_xle%20front_interior_view.jpg

The Accord interior, like someone else stated, is way too busy. The gauges look nicely set up, but the dash and center stack are simply overdone. To me, looks like Honda reached on this one. Oh, and I completely hate the new Accord exterior style on the sedan, but the coupe looks decent. Looks like the control panel of the Enterprise from Star Trek or something along those lines. Almost as overdone as the new Camaro.

Malibu inside and outside is just plain ugly and not to my liking. Interior materials are what I've expected from most GM's for years, cheap low quality materials.

The Camry interior, that thing has no style to it at all, which is okay, but it's a blah no style and even the gauges aren't appealing. From riding in my co-workers '07 Camry, the interior materials aren't nearly what they used to be either.

No mater what make/model, I just dislike all the fake brushed aluminum look everyone is using. Certain models look okay, but the majority do not.

Just my opinions.

Isn't that a Corolla?

You being sarcastic? That is a Camry and probably my favorite of all time.

You being sarcastic? That is a Camry and probably my favorite of all time.

My buddy had a Camry of that vintage for a few years in college. He swore by it, but half the interior lights didn't work and it ended up dying a premature sludge engine death like many others of that era.

It was a good car for its first 80-90K I guess....then it seemed to self-destruct.

My buddy had a Camry of that vintage for a few years in college. He swore by it, but half the interior lights didn't work and it ended up dying a premature sludge engine death like many others of that era.

It was a good car for its first 80-90K I guess....then it seemed to self-destruct.

That's odd. I know quite a few folks that beat the piss out of those model years and they ran strong well over 100K.

Anyhow point is the Camry is no longer the standard of which to base quality. The quality just isn't there anymore.

Anyhow point is the Camry is no longer the standard of which to base quality. The quality just isn't there anymore.

Yeah, but how many years will it take the public to realize that? Then again, considering the number of them on the road, it may take a lot less time than we think.

Yeah, but how many years will it take the public to realize that? Then again, considering the number of them on the road, it may take a lot less time than we think.

Well it's going to be hard to break through to the camp that SWEAR American car companies make junk. I laugh at folks that own VWs (and the like), that simply brush off cars because they are just a Ford.

LearJet Seating in production vehicle?

One thing that stood out in my mind about the MKT was its ample space and (lack) of seating. To my understanding, this was suppose to be no mere people-mover. It was suppose to offer the kind of spacious seating that Luxury cars only dream of having.

That means no 6-7 passenger seating, and instead doing 4 seats with massive amounts of head and leg room (ala a private Jet).

IMHO, this is the feature that will make or break the MKT, as it is something vastly new to the table. Sure there are stretched flagship luxury designs (BMW 7 series for example), but they don't come near to the spaciousness that the concept provided.

If the MKT is simply a luxury 6-7 people CUV, then it misses the point. Granted, fuel economy is an issue, but not as strong a point as in luxury market as mass market. A family of 7 may opt for a Flex over a Expedition EL....but can the same be said of the Navigator EL and the MKT? If I am in the market for a $50K or near $50k people mover, why should I go with an MKT over a Navigator? Unless I am simply looking to be stylish.

I don't mind it IF they MKT came standard as a 6-7 passenger model. But I hope that the 4 ubber-luxury model is available as well, because its the best feature of the vehicle and something that nobody else offers. Especially in a CUV.

One thing that stood out in my mind about the MKT was its ample space and (lack) of seating. To my understanding, this was suppose to be no mere people-mover. It was suppose to offer the kind of spacious seating that Luxury cars only dream of having.

That means no 6-7 passenger seating, and instead doing 4 seats with massive amounts of head and leg room (ala a private Jet).

IMHO, this is the feature that will make or break the MKT, as it is something vastly new to the table. Sure there are stretched flagship luxury designs (BMW 7 series for example), but they don't come near to the spaciousness that the concept provided.

If the MKT is simply a luxury 6-7 people CUV, then it misses the point. Granted, fuel economy is an issue, but not as strong a point as in luxury market as mass market. A family of 7 may opt for a Flex over a Expedition EL....but can the same be said of the Navigator EL and the MKT? If I am in the market for a $50K or near $50k people mover, why should I go with an MKT over a Navigator? Unless I am simply looking to be stylish.

I don't mind it IF they MKT came standard as a 6-7 passenger model. But I hope that the 4 ubber-luxury model is available as well, because its the best feature of the vehicle and something that nobody else offers. Especially in a CUV.

Well, from what I gather from the Flex, there's already HUGE amounts of leg room in the second row, so I don't think that's really going to be an issue. I doubt there will be a 4-seat-only configuration. But, if you want it to have 4 seats, just fold down the third row and slide the 2nd row back as far as it will go. Seems to fill both needs in one vehicle.

I too would like to see a 4-seat "luxury" option. Whether it happens or not is up in the air, but I'd still like to see it.

Well, from what I gather from the Flex, there's already HUGE amounts of leg room in the second row, so I don't think that's really going to be an issue. I doubt there will be a 4-seat-only configuration. But, if you want it to have 4 seats, just fold down the third row and slide the 2nd row back as far as it will go. Seems to fill both needs in one vehicle.

Yes, there's tons of room, even with the front seats all the way back and the second row all the way up (at least from what I remember)....and then moving the second row back makes it even better. Or better yet, sit in the third row and fold the second row down, and lounge way in the back.