New Mustang Pony on Grill

Fordowner

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

subtle to say the least.....lets hope they "sweat the details" on the REALLY important stuff.....

The Mustang is going to have a tough go with Camaro easily outclassing the primitive Ford. That won't change with a new emblem sadly.

I have never liked the Mustang, a car built on image and very little engineering sophistication. It's cheap and sloppy and I don't see that changing because it sells! ;)

Edited by BORG

The Mustang is going to have a tough go with Camaro easily outclassing the car.

I'm not so sure, Ford has been pretty good at not resting on its laurels as of late...and in the years it has taken Chevy to bring the Camaro to market do you really think Ford has just been twiddling its thumbs?....Chevy is going to have ONE year MAYBE of initial perceived "superiority".....

The Mustang is going to have a tough go with Camaro easily outclassing the primitive Mustang.

Bigger, heavier, wider. Has IRS, well, we don't know, but probably a SRA for the Mustang, so, I guess the Mustang is primitive. Now, whether it is "easily outclassed", well, we'll have to wait and see.

You haven't seen the Mustang without camo, and you don't know for certain what the powertrain numbers will be, or what the Mustang's weight will be, relative to the Camaropig.

So, considering your ignorance about how the two will compare, your statement sounds like trollage.

Bigger, heavier, wider. Has IRS, well, we don't know, but probably a SRA for the Mustang, so, I guess the Mustang is primitive. Now, whether it is "easily outclassed", well, we'll have to wait and see.

You haven't seen the Mustang without camo, and you don't know for certain what the powertrain numbers will be, or what the Mustang's weight will be, relative to the Camaropig.

So, considering your ignorance about how the two will compare, your statement sounds like trollage.

in all honesty ed, Ford DOES need to raise the bar and kick the Camaro where Mummy never kissed, it would be a real shame if the 10 did not live up to expectations and just rolled belly up...that said they set the target to begin with, the Camaro has seemingly leapfrogged the mark, but Ford was ahead of the curve to begin with and I do not think their hands have been idle....so heres to wishful thinking.....

Though isn't it just a model update with a generational change in 3 or 4 years later? Vs. a camaro that started from a clean sheet? I'd expect the camaro maybe more sophisticated and a little ahead until the next gen mustang which i then would expect to be ahead.

Though isn't it just a model update with a generational change in 3 or 4 years later? Vs. a camaro that started from a clean sheet? I'd expect the camaro maybe more sophisticated and a little ahead until the next gen mustang which i then would expect to be ahead.

you may be right...who knows, a lot is pure speculation of course and a LOT of wishful thinking...personally I'm excited about the 3.5 eco boost rumours and the rebirth of the SVO....IRS is high on the wish list but again...who knows....09 is a shorteed model year so we will know about the 10 soon enough....and PPS...I STILL think the camaro is too much Hot Wheels like....

in all honesty ed, Ford DOES need to raise the bar and kick the Camaro where Mummy never kissed, it would be a real shame if the 10 did not live up to expectations and just rolled belly up...that said they set the target to begin with, the Camaro has seemingly leapfrogged the mark, but Ford was ahead of the curve to begin with and I do not think their hands have been idle....so heres to wishful thinking.....

I don't deny that the Camaro is "superior", but "easily outclass"? When we don't know powertrain hp and vehicle weight? Sure, the Camaro has the IRS that you and I would like, being road-course types, but it's heavier and wider.

My opinion, based on zero knowledge, is that it won't be "easily" outclassed, that's all, and that considering the lack of knowledge about the next Mustang's capabilities, it still seems like trollage to claim that the next Mustang is easily outclassed. :)

I don't deny that the Camaro is "superior", but "easily outclass"? When we don't know powertrain hp and vehicle weight? Sure, the Camaro has the IRS that you and I would like, being road-course types, but it's heavier and wider.

My opinion, based on zero knowledge, is that it won't be "easily" outclassed, that's all, and that considering the lack of knowledge about the next Mustang's capabilities, it still seems like trollage to claim that the next Mustang is easily outclassed. :)

opinionated speculation is something we all seem to relish.....Ford will have a few tricks...and not up sleves, those were cut of in the interest of weight savings....

How are we going to define 'superior' anyway?

I can tell you one thing: The Camaro ain't gonna be a better Mustang than the Mustang.

Unless Ford radically alters the Mustang (i.e. making it weigh 4,000 lbs, giving it two more doors, making it a foot longer, or raising the price $5k), it will continue to be pretty much what it is--THE official car of summer, open roads, ice cream, beaches, blue skies, fresh mowed lawns, sprinklers and sunshine. Eat your heart out, Camaro.

Edited by RichardJensen

I can tell you one thing: The Camaro ain't gonna be a better Mustang than the Mustang.

Unless Ford radically alters the Mustang (i.e. making it weigh 4,000 lbs, giving it two more doors, making it a foot longer, or raising the price $5k), it will continue to be pretty much what it is--THE official car of summer, open roads, ice cream, beaches, blue skies, fresh mowed lawns, sprinklers and sunshine. Eat your heart out, Camaro.

THE true icon...just hope they show up to the game to play...thats all....AND throw some WICKED googlies.....( any cricket players out there? )

Edited by Deanh

Unless Ford radically alters the Mustang (i.e. making it weigh 4,000 lbs, giving it two more doors, making it a foot longer, or raising the price $5k), it will continue to be pretty much what it is--THE official car of America. Eat your heart out, Camaro.

fixed it for ya

Given similar gearing, a boost to 320hp should put the 4.6 within a tenth or two of a 400hp Camaro that weighs 500lbs more than the GT. I mean, it's not going to out accelerate it, but we're not talking a meaningful advantage for the Camaro either.

the coup would be for a lightweight ( ? ) 3.5 eco to come to the party and embarassMr Hot Wheels....

you may be right...who knows, a lot is pure speculation of course and a LOT of wishful thinking...personally I'm excited about the 3.5 eco boost rumours and the rebirth of the SVO....IRS is high on the wish list but again...who knows....09 is a shorteed model year so we will know about the 10 soon enough....and PPS...I STILL think the camaro is too much Hot Wheels like....

IRS,IRS, everyone has to have it. Reminds me of the MN12 Thunderbird. That car had an all new platform, IRS and supercharged V6. On paper it outclassed the previous cheap Fox platform '83-'88 Turbo Coupe T-Birds but in reality the MN12 was way over weight and over budget and it never came close to the sales success of the previous generation T-Bird.

Edited by F250

The Camaro definitely has IRS. Edmunds.com has already driven the V6 model and it's nearly as quick as the V8 Mustang ...

Call me crazy, but a new badge isn't going to cut it. I thought Ford stopped badge engineering a long time ago? If the car can back up the badge, I'm all for it. If it can't, then well .. we have a problem. I'm hoping Ford is poker-facing us and sends a unit out with an IRS. I personally would be willing to pay more for the car if it had an IRS and rode better!

To me, this whole badge thing is a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo BS. "Where's the beef?!" That's all I care about. BTW, I personally think there was nothing wrong with the old badge and it was actually nicer and more detailed than the new one. Ford probably redesigned it to reduce die costs or something knowing them. How many people care what the badge looks like on the Mustang anyway? I rarely look at mine. If you can't tell a Mustang by its sheetmetal, it just isn't a Mustang at all.

Edited by SVT_MAN

IRS,IRS, everyone has to have it. Reminds me of the MN12 Thunderbird. That car had an all new platform, IRS and supercharged V6. On paper it outclassed the previous cheap Fox platform '83-'88 Turbo Coupe T-Birds but in reality the MN12 was way over weight and over budget and it never came close to the sales success of the previous generation T-Bird.

Cars that sell well aren't necessarily good cars. As a current 99 Mustang GT owner, Ford really does cheapen out on a lot of stuff on the Mustang. I would love to have an independent rear suspension. People can say what they want about the IRS setup, but it definitely rides and handles better on rough pavement. Which we have in abundance in Wisconsin.

Had the Mustang Mafia not shot out the kneecaps of the Thunderbird product team, the 3.8L SC would have been MUCH more potent, and it would have blown the Mustang out of the water.

Even in 1996... the Thunderbird was scheduled to get the Cobra DOHC V8, but again... Mustang Mafia took it out.

SVT MAN, Not nearly as quick is what you should've said. The current Mustang GT is probably a full second quicker in the 1/4 mile. And considering none of the media have tested a full production Camaro, we don't have real numbers. And considering they are comparing a pre-production Camaro to a Mustang that has been on the street for 5 years who cares. The list goes on and on, wait, I have another one, the 2010 Mustang will be available around the same time the Camaro hits the lots, so let's just wait until we know the whole story. Don't forget, GM dumped their pony car 8 model years ago (by the time the 2010 arrives).

Edited by 02MustangGT

Cars that sell well aren't necessarily good cars. As a current 99 Mustang GT owner, Ford really does cheapen out on a lot of stuff on the Mustang. I would love to have an independent rear suspension. People can say what they want about the IRS setup, but it definitely rides and handles better on rough pavement. Which we have in abundance in Wisconsin.

Oh the MN12 T-birds rode better, after all they were over 400 lbs overweight and of course they had IRS.

Truth is Ford was on the financial ropes in the early '80s when they designed the hot selling and very profitable Fox platform '83 T-birds, they were exactly what Ford needed just in time. Fortnuately by the time the MN12 IRS introduced in '89 Ford could afford their losses.

So which kind of car do you think Ford needs right about now, excellent, expensive to build cars that don't sell or very good affordable cars that bring big profits.

Had the Mustang Mafia not shot out the kneecaps of the Thunderbird product team, the 3.8L SC would have been MUCH more potent, and it would have blown the Mustang out of the water.

The 3.8 was hardly known to be bulletproof so how much more boost/power do you think it was capable of. The SC T-bird's big disadvantage was it's weight.

Even in 1996... the Thunderbird was scheduled to get the Cobra DOHC V8, but again... Mustang Mafia took it out.

You got that car, the Lincoln Mark VIII.

Put the '96 (no supercharger) Cobra engine that was down on low RPM torque in a heavy car like the IRS T-bird and it would have been no threat to the Mustang.