Jaguar Land Rover sales crash -41.7% in Europe

Jaguar and Land Rover are a shadow of their former self since the left Ford despite having the fresh new models like the XF.

European August 2008 Jaguar/Land Rover sale down -41.7%

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/20...07-08-FINAL.pdf

Land Rover 2,006 sales. -54.9%

Jaguar 1,444 sales. -2.0%

Jaguar And Land Rover To No Longer Report U.S. Sales Figures

Tata Motors Ltds Jaguar Cars Ltd. and Land Rover divisions no longer will report U.S. monthly sales, citing a strategy that stresses quality over quantity.

The U.K.-based luxury auto makers continued to make public monthly tallies following their sale by former parent Ford Motor Co. to Tata earlier this year, but have ceased the practice as of this month.

Jaguar and Land Rover spokeswoman Barbara Barrett says in an e-mail response that the divisions are niche auto makers and as such no longer are compelled to report sales figures.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Jaguar-And-L...-Figures-34506/

TATA's last set of US Jaguar/Land Rover sales numbers.

August 2008 US sales

Jaguar 1,377 +1.3%

Land Rover 1,961 -59.6%

Did Ford do the right thing?

No surprise.

Jaguar needs a smaller sportscar than the V-8-powered XK, IMHO.

For almost 2 years, I have recommended some kind of 2-seat roadster powered by a version of the Volvo I-6, with nicely cast cam covers, reprising the old 3.8/4.2. It would be taxed more lightly in the EU, with lower CO2 consumption. Think of it as a new XK-150, hey, call it the XK-160. Rag-top only, to keep costs/weight lower. It would slot between the Lotus Elise and the XK-8.

L-R? They have to go back to their roots, IMHO. The fixation on NVH and luxury means everything weighs 6 tons, or so it seems.

Well, it's time for the CAD gang at Solihull to think outside the box, as the market for the LR-3 and the Rangerover dries up.

If I were head of R&D at L-R, I'd be pestering MIT about their work with direct alcohol fuel cells. They've made some solid advances in efficiency this year and in lowering costs of the fuel cell membrane, which is the key component. As well, some kind of diesel hybrid should be fast-tracked.

someone should PM him and suggest he doesn't jump............

If he asks me for advice, gotta say l would tell him to jump Deanh

If you want me to find your nearest bridge for you in the Midlands T-Stang, if you let us have your post code l will look it up for you on Google maps.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Why do I feel that in the end Jag and LR will end with Fiat since Mr Tata will see that it will cost his companies a lot of billions to keep these 2 former Ford companies and now with Mr Tata nano in hold and the economy going down in the whole planet I feel that Ford just got rid of them in time

Jaguar will now be cutting back as well on production

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/23/jaguar-...roduction-cuts/

The news follows on from JLR’s announcement that it will be introducing a four-day week at Land Rover’s Solihull site, and the company has also said that it will move 300 of its workers from Solihull to Castle Bromwich to work on the XF.

Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport models will no longer be produced on a Friday and some nightshifts, producing Range Rovers, will be suspended from October until the end of the year.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/234684/

Gotta say l can't see TATA holding on to the automotive slags for much longer the automotive equivalent of the female bike will be sold on to another mug. Gotta say l am pleased Ford got rid of J/LR they as Ford would now be facing a huge wage bill to pay with very little in the way of sales and massive losses on their books.

OK just back from my hols in Japan and a few points:

- August is the worst month for European car sales because most people here go on holiday and simply don't buy cars

- Jaguar's sales are going up in the USA when everyone else's are going down

- Jag is allegedly so confident that they have copyrighter the brands C-XJ and C-XE (XE is thought to be a JAGUAR replacement for the Mondeo X type)

- European sales are generally at their lowest in decades

- Land Rover is setting sales records in Russia and China making up for some of the losses in Europe and the USA

- Land Rover's models are selling in a tough environment for all car makers but Land Rover will launch 4 new model over the next 2 years

- Land Rover has an ageing lineup.

- JLR is expecting to lose just 150 million by the end of the year (not sure if it was dollars or pounds). But all things considered that's nothing compared to what Volvo will lose, and is tiny next to Ford, GM and Chrysler)

Finally why would TATA sell JLR to Fiat? If you add the market capitalisation of GM, Ford, Fiat and Chrysler together then it's peanuts to what the entire TATA group is worth. TATA motors is bigger than Ford in many parts of Asia and is huge in commercial vehicles (third biggest in the world). So why on earth would they sell two world class brands to Fiat (which Ratan Tata is a director of). Oh yes, Fiat may one day be sold to TATA motors!

- Land Rover has an ageing lineup.

- JLR is expecting to lose just 150 million by the end of the year (not sure if it was dollars or pounds). But all things considered that's nothing compared to what Volvo will lose, and is tiny next to Ford, GM and Chrysler)

Land Rover made $1 billion profit last year, how could J/LR only lose $150 million this year?

All that beautiful revenue vanashes into thin air -sounds like PAG all right!

I think Ford had perfect timing ridding itself of J/LR and keeping Volvo, here's why:

Tata will have to find Billions to update J/LR's vehicles in the next two years but Volvo shares

both of its platforms with Ford and will get updates at a fraction of the cost. Volvo's fleet are basically

fuel efficient four and five cylinder vehicles to middle class buyers and problems with sales in the USA

are mainly to do with marketing and distribution which can be corrected at a fraction of the price facing

Tata and Jaguar /Land Rover.

So why on earth would they sell two world class brands to Fiat (which Ratan Tata is a director of). Oh yes, Fiat may one day be sold to TATA motors!

I hope they buy it. Tata need a learning experience.

If Ratan Tata ordered a Tata with a custon wicker interior, it woud be Ratan Tata's Rattan Tata. If he left a dead carp in the trunk in the Mumbai heat for a couple of days, he'd have Ratan Tata's Rotten Rattan Tata. :)