Skilled trade rumors nationwide and at KCAP

toadskc

Can anyone confirm the rumor that at the Kansas City Assembly Plant they are going to let those who took a breakdown from trades, who are working the line now, to come back to their trade classification at KCAP. That they will allow those to come back to trades before exhausting the list of tradesman that are laid off and before ACH trades. Also, they will be coming back will all of their trade seniority begining the week of October 6th. It sounds like those that are in the GEN pool are getting past up if this is allowed to happen. If this affects you please notify the proper channels to get this stopped!

Can anyone confirm the rumor that at the Kansas City Assembly Plant they are going to let those who took a breakdown from trades, who are working the line now, to come back to their trade classification at KCAP. That they will allow those to come back to trades before exhausting the list of tradesman that are laid off and before ACH trades. Also, they will be coming back will all of their trade seniority begining the week of October 6th. It sounds like those that are in the GEN pool are getting past up if this is allowed to happen. If this affects you please notify the proper channels to get this stopped!

I heard this also. Are you in the trades? Do you know of anybody laid off or in GEN who signed up to go to KCAP and hasn't had the opportunity? I was under the impression that they were having problems getting enough tradesmen (especially pipefitters and electricians) to run the 5 crew trades shift that they are wanting. I would much prefer to see Ford bringing them (those tradesmen that took the breakdown) back as opposed to hiring off the street. Also, there is something to be said for workers that will go to work instead of sitting in GEN collecting free money. They were told they could come back to trades if they were needed and now they are. Also, if they lose their time, then can't they also take time away from the tradesmen that were laid off or sitting in GEN pool. By the way, we have a batch of trades from ACH plants coming on October 27th.

Take care of your own problems we have more than we can count as it is.

I heard this also. Are you in the trades? Do you know of anybody laid off or in GEN who signed up to go to KCAP and hasn't had the opportunity? I was under the impression that they were having problems getting enough tradesmen (especially pipefitters and electricians) to run the 5 crew trades shift that they are wanting. I would much prefer to see Ford bringing them (those tradesmen that took the breakdown) back as opposed to hiring off the street. Also, there is something to be said for workers that will go to work instead of sitting in GEN collecting free money. They were told they could come back to trades if they were needed and now they are. Also, if they lose their time, then can't they also take time away from the tradesmen that were laid off or sitting in GEN pool. By the way, we have a batch of trades from ACH plants coming on October 27th.

YES IT IS TRUE. THEY WILL BRING BACK ALL TRADES AND GIVE THEM THEIR TIME BACK-OLD DATE OF ENTRY NOT NEW, ALSO THEY WILL RECEIVE BAY PAY FOR THE WAGE DECREASE THEY TOOK WHEN THEY WENT TO PRODUCTION. tHIS ALSO INCLUDES APPRENTICES, AND TRADES THAT TOOK A BUY-OUT AND WANT TO COME BACK TO FORD. OTHERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE INTERNATIONAL TO APPLY FOR THESE POSITIONS@313-926-5391 OR 313-392-7908 OR YOU CAN CALL THE LOCAL FOR MORE INFO {THEY WILL JUST LIE TO YOU ) BUT HERES THE NUMBER OF THE UNION REP 816-935-8837 JOE OR 816-459-1539 DOUG OR THE HALL 816-454-6333 JEFF WRIGHT PRESIDENT. LABOR RELATIONS 816-459-1229 HOPE THIS HELPS MYSELF I WOULD CALL THE INTERNATIONAL BUT WHO KNOWS CALL THEM ALL HOPE THIS HELPS.

YES IT IS TRUE. THEY WILL BRING BACK ALL TRADES AND GIVE THEM THEIR TIME BACK-OLD DATE OF ENTRY NOT NEW, ALSO THEY WILL RECEIVE BAY PAY FOR THE WAGE DECREASE THEY TOOK WHEN THEY WENT TO PRODUCTION. tHIS ALSO INCLUDES APPRENTICES, AND TRADES THAT TOOK A BUY-OUT AND WANT TO COME BACK TO FORD. OTHERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE INTERNATIONAL TO APPLY FOR THESE POSITIONS@313-926-5391 OR 313-392-7908 OR YOU CAN CALL THE LOCAL FOR MORE INFO {THEY WILL JUST LIE TO YOU ) BUT HERES THE NUMBER OF THE UNION REP 816-935-8837 JOE OR 816-459-1539 DOUG OR THE HALL 816-454-6333 JEFF WRIGHT PRESIDENT. LABOR RELATIONS 816-459-1229 HOPE THIS HELPS MYSELF I WOULD CALL THE INTERNATIONAL BUT WHO KNOWS CALL THEM ALL HOPE THIS HELPS.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are either a disgruntle ex tradesman that is regretting taking a buyout or you are a disgruntle tradesman that will be affected by the trades in production coming back into trades with their seniority. Either way I am betting you are one of those. I would also like to say don't put a bunch of BS on here to stir the pot. We all know that there is a lot going on right now and none of us will agree on everything that the union does. Let's try and stick with the facts. As far as the tradesman which are currently on the line coming back into trades that part is true. I don't like it anymore that anyone else and Local 249 has done everything possible not to let this happen. Not that we don't want them to come back but it is in our opinion there is a time and process for this to happen. Now is neither. Nor is it time to bring transfers into KCAP from other facilities. I wish all of our brothers and sisters could be placed but not until there is an opening. Unfortunately the International does not have the same mind set that the local has. So yes the trades that are currently working in production are coming back into trades regardless if we need them or not. Yes they are going to be keeping their seniority. If it makes you feel better to call the committee room, the hall, or any other number listed above, by all means do so. I can assure you though that the president of 249 as well as the chairman have been explained the anger of the local membership in regards to this matter. So instead of calling the local call the international and get in touch with them. Let them know your frustration. Have them supply you with the language that allows this to happen. I sure hope they supply me with it because I can't find it in any of the books which I have.

Now for parts that Mr. Disgruntle doesn't know anything about. The ones that come back will not receive back pay for the time they spent on the line. Past employees who took buyouts will not be offered a job prior to placing JSP and ACH employees. Obviously those statements were made out of frustration and are not true. I'm sure there will be grievances filed on both sides of this matter.

If you call up north I would ask for Mike Oblack, Frank Keitz, Mike Geiger, or Gainey. Not sure on the spelling of those but that should get you in the right direction.

Kansas City isn't the only one doing this, so it might be coming from higher up than just the local union. Michigan Truck had tradesmen that were working in production go to Wayne into their former trade. GEN people in zone that didn't get to go were told that tradesmen working on the line were on the same level as GEN and laid off employees and everyone is placed in the same pot, selected using seniority.

Calling everyone doesn't do anyone any good. There is a process that allows tradesmen/women to return to their skilled jobs from closed or closing plants, and who take bust backs.

They are placed on a preferential placement list as TRBP which means trades returned back to production. They are included in the placement hierarchy.

It is not their fault that their plant closed and there were no open req's for trades and no plants in their zones anyway. They were going to have to move sooner or later or take a buyout. Those who chose to bust back might have done it because their spouse was going to a certain location, or because they were told there would be no req's for quite a while. Remeber what else was announced when St. Louis closed. A tradesperson there didn't have much hope of any req's in the near future.

KC's req's have been posted at locations that have JSP banks already, and they were still short of takers.

The process is being followed, but we will double check to ensure that everything is in order. The IUAW is aware of the concern.

KC would be getting a tranferee from somewhere anyway. Our trades brothers and sisters from the closed plants deserve a right to return to their trade. They did not "sign it away forever" like a bust back. They were told there was no upcoming openings and their best bet was to go back to production, and wait for an eventual (if ever) call back.

Many trades are doing this today, and have recall rights. They have a right to go back instead of taking a layoff, and they have a right to be re-called.

My guess is that somebody doesn't like anyone with seniority coming to their plant.

To that I say.....that is what a Union is all about....get over it.

Calling everyone doesn't do anyone any good. There is a process that allows tradesmen/women to return to their skilled jobs from closed or closing plants, and who take bust backs.

They are placed on a preferential placement list as TRBP which means trades returned back to production. They are included in the placement hierarchy.

It is not their fault that their plant closed and there were no open req's for trades and no plants in their zones anyway. They were going to have to move sooner or later or take a buyout. Those who chose to bust back might have done it because their spouse was going to a certain location, or because they were told there would be no req's for quite a while. Remeber what else was announced when St. Louis closed. A tradesperson there didn't have much hope of any req's in the near future.

KC's req's have been posted at locations that have JSP banks already, and they were still short of takers.

The process is being followed, but we will double check to ensure that everything is in order. The IUAW is aware of the concern.

KC would be getting a tranferee from somewhere anyway. Our trades brothers and sisters from the closed plants deserve a right to return to their trade. They did not "sign it away forever" like a bust back. They were told there was no upcoming openings and their best bet was to go back to production, and wait for an eventual (if ever) call back.

Many trades are doing this today, and have recall rights. They have a right to go back instead of taking a layoff, and they have a right to be re-called.

My guess is that somebody doesn't like anyone with seniority coming to their plant.

shure they should be allowed to come back to trades, when there is an opening, after there are no other trades in protected status or when thoes in protected status have turned down a position at this location.

also they should receive a new date of entry when they are returned to their skilled classification, not get their old date back. you can not aquire seniority in a classification that you are not working. you cant get credit for being a pipefitter when you are a body shop assembler.

yes bring them back but give them a new date of entry. as this plant and many others have done in the past. be fair about it.

Is it really ALL being called back? We haven't been notified. For anyone laid off, in GEN, or relocated - it sucks! Decisions are made based on info given and we all know not much info is given. Yahoo for anyone getting back into what they were trained to do. Love em or hate - tradesmen took 4 years of college and on-the-job training to get where they are and that should be recognized. They pay their dues too - whether on the line or in the pits.

shure they should be allowed to come back to trades, when there is an opening, after there are no other trades in protected status or when thoes in protected status have turned down a position at this location.

also they should receive a new date of entry when they are returned to their skilled classification, not get their old date back. you can not aquire seniority in a classification that you are not working. you cant get credit for being a pipefitter when you are a body shop assembler.

yes bring them back but give them a new date of entry. as this plant and many others have done in the past. be fair about it.

You have consistently shown yourself to be among the stupidest people to ever post here. I wish the search function was active so all could read some of your wonderful contributions...

so really - the 13 years they worked in their given trade shouldn't count at all?

Level- I would like to start by stating your posts have always been some of the most accurate on here and I agree with you the majority of the time. But when you say KCAP would be getting transfers from somewhere anyway I don't understand why. We currently only have openings for 3 welders, 4 pipefitters and 16 electricians. Those openings are only there due to KCAP implementing a AWS starting on Oct. 6th. Until then we have more tradesman that we need. With that being said why are we taking extra M/W's and T/M's. We don't have jobs for them and we are already over are numbers. Now the IUAW wants us to bring back trades from the line that took transfers and bring additional trades from JSP and ACH plants. I don't understand. I thought there had to be an opening before we took additional manpower. The only thing that I can guess is that Ford has something planned for KCAP that hasn't been announced yet concerning new product or more production on the F150 side of the house. If not and Escape sales slip the smallest bit I can see the AWS going away resulting in a layoff in trades of 80 plus people. Guess who will keep there jobs at that time. Yep, the transfers that came when there were NO openings.

Maybe I'm missing something and if so I wish someone would tell me what it is.

As I said before, but you must have missed it...they are in Preferential Placement......treated no differently than any journeyperson in JSP...except for the fact that they are working in production...

You have a choice as a trade when you go to GEN or JSP....whether you want to go back to production and wait for an opening....or go into JSP and wait for an opening...it is a personal voluntary choice and your contractual right.

THEY ARE STILL LAID OFF FROM THEIR TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THEY STILL HAVE RECALL RIGHTS WITH A DATE OF ENTRY UP TO AND INCLUDING LEVELING DATE!!!!!!!!!

That might be your opinion....but let me offer you a scenario brother/sister:

Ford closes a plant....doesn't have any openings at the time in your trade......and what then...

YOU WANT THOSE THAT CHOOSE TO "REDUCE BACK TO PRODUCTION", SO THEY CAN PAY THEIR BILLS, TO GET A NEW DOE?

Okay let's take a look at that point you are trying to make.

You say you cannot accrue seniority in a classification you are not working in???

OH REALLY? So, if I was sitting in GEN/JSP out on 85% for 3 years, or sitting in a room in a plant JSP for 3 years...doing nothing but collecting a check...or out on community service from JSP...I get my DOE when I go back to an opening...and that is okay...even though I haven't been working in my trade for three years.............

but if I go back to production, move my family to another state, and bust my ass on the line because Ford closed my friggin plant......then screw me ...I should get a new DOE?

There is no difference brother/sister

Neither those sitting in JSP, nor those working in production are "working in their classification".

You had better rethink that position....it doesn't even make sense.

Level- I would like to start by stating your posts have always been some of the most accurate on here and I agree with you the majority of the time. But when you say KCAP would be getting transfers from somewhere anyway I don't understand why. We currently only have openings for 3 welders, 4 pipefitters and 16 electricians. Those openings are only there due to KCAP implementing a AWS starting on Oct. 6th. Until then we have more tradesman that we need. With that being said why are we taking extra M/W's and T/M's. We don't have jobs for them and we are already over are numbers. Now the IUAW wants us to bring back trades from the line that took transfers and bring additional trades from JSP and ACH plants. I don't understand. I thought there had to be an opening before we took additional manpower. The only thing that I can guess is that Ford has something planned for KCAP that hasn't been announced yet concerning new product or more production on the F150 side of the house. If not and Escape sales slip the smallest bit I can see the AWS going away resulting in a layoff in trades of 80 plus people. Guess who will keep there jobs at that time. Yep, the transfers that came when there were NO openings.

I think you might be asking the wrong people (IUAW) why so many are being brought back and brought to KCAP. The IUAW does not post the opennings Ford Motor does. They should have a definite number of opennings to post and fill. It appears as though the company or IUAW or both are fostering a climate of distrust pitting UAW member against UAW member. If the opennings are not there they are not there and will not be filled.

As I said before, but you must have missed it...they are in Preferential Placement......treated no differently than any journeyperson in JSP...except for the fact that they are working in production...

You have a choice as a trade when you go to GEN or JSP....whether you want to go back to production and wait for an opening....or go into JSP and wait for an opening...it is a personal voluntary choice and your contractual right.

THEY ARE STILL LAID OFF FROM THEIR TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THEY STILL HAVE RECALL RIGHTS WITH A DATE OF ENTRY UP TO AND INCLUDING LEVELING DATE!!!!!!!!!

That might be your opinion....but let me offer you a scenario brother/sister:

Ford closes a plant....doesn't have any openings at the time in your trade......and what then...

YOU WANT THOSE THAT CHOOSE TO "REDUCE BACK TO PRODUCTION", SO THEY CAN PAY THEIR BILLS, TO GET A NEW DOE?

Okay let's take a look at that point you are trying to make.

You say you cannot accrue seniority in a classification you are not working in???

OH REALLY? So, if I was sitting in GEN/JSP out on 85% for 3 years, or sitting in a room in a plant JSP for 3 years...doing nothing but collecting a check...or out on community service from JSP...I get my DOE when I go back to an opening...and that is okay...even though I haven't been working in my trade for three years.............

but if I go back to production, move my family to another state, and bust my ass on the line because Ford closed my friggin plant......then screw me ...I should get a new DOE?

There is no difference brother/sister

Neither those sitting in JSP, nor those working in production are "working in their classification".

You had better rethink that position....it doesn't even make sense.

LEVEL- I agree with you completely. Obviously, you have a brain (and a conscience) and you engage it before you type. It was a great explanation, however, I'm afraid some still won't get it. Well done!

MEUAW- Your user name should be MEIDIOT! UAW is about solidarity. Our union brothers and sisters did no wrong. It shouldn't matter how or why they are in production, we should be working together to get them back into the job that Ford trained them for. I agree completely with LEVEL, if their production time doesn't count then GEN pool or layoffs shouldn't count either. Oh, and along your line of thinking--If you go from trades to a different classification (even temporarily) like say, perhaps, committeeman, then does that change anything. Should your trades committeeman have to lose his trades time and start over because he spent two or three years representing your dumb ass. No, I didn't think so. But he did willingly go into that job, didn't he. Did he give up all rights to be a tradesman? That's alright, you don't need to answer, I already know you'll say something idiotic.

You are a self centered, greedy, egotistical moron. If the day comes that you are displaced by one of these people, I hope the folks in your new plant treat you as you have treated others. Have a nice day, butthead!

WAS there a bid for m/w and t/m if so when and for how many. WERE they in zone out of zone or both. Thank you

Look I will be effected by this as well,but if the shoe was on the other foot I would be jumping for joy. The bottom line for you my friend is unions are to protect our jobs which it looks like they are doing, and I will be glad to work with some of my union brothers again. If you don't like it QUIT! and go work for a non-union SCAB SHOP.

Rumor has it that they are going to add another shift of trucks back. It may only be the one they cut off a few months ago but then again you never know.

Yeah the shift was suppose to come back in November 2008 but has since been moved to July 2009. Once again this is all specualtion and nothing in concrete yet. Besides when they add the shift back in trucks do you think they are going to keep the 3-crew in SUV? I seriously doubt it. Then the AWS for trades will go away to man the #1 shift in trucks and we will have excess trades due to the transfers and bringing the ones back out of production. Like I have said all along, I am all for placing people in jobs regardless of seniority as long as there is an opening. I just can't understand why we would place people in trades that are not needed and then have the potential of a layoff in the near future. I guess I just don't get it.

I agree !!! I don't remember seeing a job posting for either M/W's or T/M's for KCAP .

Yeah the shift was suppose to come back in November 2008 but has since been moved to July 2009. Once again this is all specualtion and nothing in concrete yet. Besides when they add the shift back in trucks do you think they are going to keep the 3-crew in SUV? I seriously doubt it. Then the AWS for trades will go away to man the #1 shift in trucks and we will have excess trades due to the transfers and bringing the ones back out of production. Like I have said all along, I am all for placing people in jobs regardless of seniority as long as there is an opening. I just can't understand why we would place people in trades that are not needed and then have the potential of a layoff in the near future. I guess I just don't get it.

Why would you assume differently? The real gain for Ford during the last contract negotiation was the UAW's acceptance of a two tiered pay and benefit structure. If I am not mistaken many of the people currently making up the "C" crew on your SUV side are these very workers. Ford has been unable to reap much in the way of savings so far, but exchanging the OT the plant was paying for ten hour shifts and saturdays with second tier employee wages has raised the profitability of each of those SUVs.

If Ford returns to a two shift operation on your truck side and is able to staff it with a complete shift of second tiers they will finally start to reap the big savings they were hoping for. If Ford were to move the current "C" crew back to the truck side so they can resume paying overtime to SUV workers... they are foolish.