TATA want's to buy Mazda maybe....

I'm amazed Ford still possesses Volvo, however they may have had a hard time getting a good prices for it. I had no doubts that Ford would be Ford only at the end of the flip, the turnaround and product redevelopment has been designed to separate themselves from their subsidiaries rather than integrating product development. Ford and Mazda are sharing some engine development, although much less of it now. The Fiesta is the last major Ford/Mazda venture, but considering the Ka was developed with Fiat, you see that you don't need to own Mazda to work with them.

Ford does not need any of these brands to develop product so time to sell sell sell!

Ford does not need any of these brands to develop product so time to sell sell sell!

You have a point. For Tata, the engine sourcing opportunity of Mazda has appeal. So, if the money's right . . . but it seems that Ford doesn't HAVE to sell its stake, so discounted value is not part of the equation.

Volvo? There's a market for the brand. It will get sorted out, even if Ford keeps ownership.

You have a point. For Tata, the engine sourcing opportunity of Mazda has appeal. So, if the money's right . . . but it seems that Ford doesn't HAVE to sell its stake, so discounted value is not part of the equation.

Volvo? There's a market for the brand. It will get sorted out, even if Ford keeps ownership.

Short of the rotary, does mazda even have non Ford sourced engine architecture anymore?

Chassis?

Im failing to see how this is even realistic short of the R&D still being closely tied even without "ownership" by Ford.

I honestly dont see this as a good move over the long term but I would understand the motive.

Edited by one2gamble

So my perditions of ford only lasting 2 more years has finally bared fruit. I don't know what any of you guys ideas about ford without Mazda and Volvo being a good thing, when it was those 2 company's that helped them get 2 the point their at right now. Where would ford be without the help of those 2 companies platforms?

Short of the rotary, does mazda even have non Ford sourced engine architecture anymore?

Chassis?

Im failing to see how this is even realistic short of the R&D still being closely tied even without "ownership" by Ford.

I honestly dont see this as a good move over the long term but I would understand the motive.

The RX8 and MX5 archetectures are unique to Mazda, but I agree with you that selling Mazda wouldn't make sense. They perform well and complement the Ford brand, rather than distract from it like Jag and LR did.

Edited by V8 Ford

So my perditions of ford only lasting 2 more years has finally bared fruit. I don't know what any of you guys ideas about ford without Mazda and Volvo being a good thing, when it was those 2 company's that helped them get 2 the point their at right now. Where would ford be without the help of those 2 companies platforms?

Go back to the 1990s and it was Ford management who sorted out Mazda's woes.

Volvo cars were never that wonderful financially when separated from the Trucking Division.

True mazda and Volvo are better intergrated with Ford and I think they would be dumb

to sell Volvo before they are redeemed, Mazda is a different proposition, they make money.

What's Volvo's excuse then?

For the record, they share with plenty with Ford.

Mazda sells 1 million units per year. Volvo does not.

Do I need to give you a basic education on break-even points? Or would you prefer to go down to your local library to learn?

I'm amazed Ford still possesses Volvo, however they may have had a hard time getting a good prices for it. I had no doubts that Ford would be Ford only at the end of the flip, the turnaround and product redevelopment has been designed to separate themselves from their subsidiaries rather than integrating product development. Ford and Mazda are sharing some engine development, although much less of it now. The Fiesta is the last major Ford/Mazda venture, but considering the Ka was developed with Fiat, you see that you don't need to own Mazda to work with them.

See I don't understand. Ford gets a decent amount of cash from Mazda every year. For the Billion or so for Mazda they loose out on 100M a year, every year, forever. I think it's plain dumb. Also why sell a winner?

See I don't understand. Ford gets a decent amount of cash from Mazda every year. For the Billion or so for Mazda they loose out on 100M a year, every year, forever. I think it's plain dumb. Also why sell a winner?

Mazda has only really been a winner recently. I don't agree in selling them either, but eh, when times are tough you do what you gotta do...

How many winning vehicles has just Mazda helped develop? The Explorer, the Escape, are just 2 SUPER huge contrabutions to Ford's bottom line.

Mazda has only really been a winner recently. I don't agree in selling them either, but eh, when times are tough you do what you gotta do...

No I understand. I just think it is going to far. In fact Mazda has had some pretty good products as of late. I think selling them should so last resort that Ford would go bankrupt if they don't move em tomorrow type scenario. Besides I think the $25B loan may help out a fair deal. The cash that would've been spent on redoing factories can now be saved, or used for something else. To be honest I know the econ is going to be bad for a while, but I think Ford can make it, with Mazda.